Questions about a Swollen 3DS Battery

Hawkwing

Trying to make a long story short: I have had my 3DS since December 2011 (got it as a Christmas gift), and I've played it with varying frequency throughout the years. It was around 2017 that I started noticing that my 3DS battery tended to run out faster than it had before, and that it charged more quickly than what I was used to as well. At the time, I simply chalked it up as my 3DS getting old, as well as some games being more graphically intense than others, since some games lasted one hour before needing to be recharged while others took 2 or 3, and the graphics and animations of said games varied wildly.

While I was surprised by how quickly I needed to charge my 3DS when playing Fates back in July, it was during the month of October that I thought it was becoming a more serious issue. I had bought Metal Gear Solid 3D and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (As I decided I wouldn't have much luck hoping they would eventually show up some time at a game store, much less at a reasonable price, so I bought physical copies online), and when I started playing the former, my 3DS ran out of power in the middle of the first cutscene. Even when playing Shadow Dragon, the game barely lasted 10 minutes before the red light blinked desperately, and it charged in less time than that. Since I never had issue with DS games draining the batter quickly, I knew something was up. I still managed to play these games, but I had to be permanently have my 3DS hooked up to a charger, and now my 3DS can barely stay on for more than 5 seconds before turning off again if it's not plugged in.

Today, when trying to complete Metal Gear Solid 3D, my 3DS quit in the middle of the session. I don't know if I bumped something or what, but I decided enough was enough, and opened the back of the case to see what had happened to the battery. I took some pictures, which are shown in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

IMG_20191115_170637407.jpg

My 3DS on its side. The side has been cracked for a month or two, although it wasn't as noticeable. (Yes, that's The Hobbit in the background. The 50th anniversary edition, in fact)

IMG_20191115_172046341.jpg

How the battery looked after I opened the case.

IMG_20191115_172115816.jpgIMG_20191115_172245014.jpgIMG_20191115_172215912.jpg

How the battery looks from different angles. Part of the battery is cracked for some reason. I don't know if that happened before I opened the case or as a result of it.

Since this is the first time I've encountered a technical issue like this before, I have a few questions:

- Are there any dangers I should know about from playing with a possibly swollen battery?

- Could I keep using this one until I replace it, or should I throw it out? 

- Would it even be worthwhile to replace the battery, or am I better off just getting a new 3DS?

- Are there any specific things may have caused this issue (like the surrounding temperature or how long I kept it charged and so on) or is it just a result of my 3DS being nearly 8 years old?

Thanks in advance for your answers. If there are any other things you believe I should know or questions you have to ask, feel free to put them down.

I never had this issue with my 3ds but one my Iphones did have this issue and luckily my dad knew a guy that could replace the battery. 

Which brings me to this...

- Are there any dangers I should know about from playing with a possibly swollen battery?

STOP! A swollen battery can catch fire and even explode but even if that doesn't immediately happen it can start to leak and destroy your internal circuitry from your 3DS!

Get rid of it ASAP. Don't use it anymore.

44 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

With that level of swelling, there is a risk of it catching fire or exploding when in use. In fact removing it had a risk of it exploding if it was charged. Get it to an ewaste disposal area as fast as  possible. Do be warned, if it catches fire in the meantime do not try to extinguish it with water, try a chemical extinguisher or smother it in sand, as lithium has an explosive reaction with water.

45 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

- Would it even be worthwhile to replace the battery, or am I better off just getting a new 3DS?

If there is nothing else wrong with your 3DS a replacement battery could get some more life out of it.

46 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

- Are there any specific things may have caused this issue (like the surrounding temperature or how long I kept it charged and so on) or is it just a result of my 3DS being nearly 8 years old?

Part of it is just that batteries die over time, but there are five big things that speed that up, first are defective 3rd party batteries, physical damage to the batteries, overcharging, excessive draining, and extreme temperatures.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

Swollen batteries can be in danger of combustion, or if heavily (and I mean heavily) strained may explode. 

That battery is dangerous and you do not want it anywhere near you, contact your local battery disposal service to see about safely getting rid of it at your earliest convenience. 

While it is a relatively easy job replacing a 3ds battery, buying an unlicensed battery is almost as dangerous (possibly more so ) as using a  damaged battery, if you want to replace the battery (in the case that the 3ds holds sentimental value) buy a secondhand 3ds with a good battery and scrap it for its battery, although it would be a lot easier and safer to just get a brand new one, as you will not likely have any system issues with it. 

Are there any specific things may have caused this issue (like the surrounding temperature or how long I kept it charged and so on) or is it just a result of my 3DS being nearly 8 years old?

Age is a factor, but leaving it charged for very long periods of time, exposing the system to high temperatures or liquids, and general careless tossing and roughly placing the 3ds can all damage the battery, due to how close it is to the outside of the device, I reccomend buying a soft 3ds case for the device, and keeping the device in the case when not charging or in use. If you are very concerned about charging for too long , you may want to “half-charge" the device and sacrifice session playtime for overall longevity of the device, however this shouldn't be an issue as long as the 3ds is not plugged in for more than 10 hours at a time. Also of note, make sure to boot the system up every 3-4 days to ensure that it is always running smoothly (well as smooth as a 3ds can run). 

Okay, so it seems like I had a fire/explosion hazard in my 3DS for a month or so now and the 12 year old inside of me thinks that's extremely cool. I still need to dispose of the battery, but I will be doing that as soon as possible. I decided to buy another battery, since I found one for a reasonable price online and my 3DS functions just fine otherwise.

Thanks for the answers and advice, everyone!

17 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

"Hand reveal" is this Mekkkah?

Not pictured: My cut-up knuckles. Dry skin, a sudden change in weather, and working with wires is not a good combination, to say the least.

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:57 PM, Hawkwing said:

Trying to make a long story short: I have had my 3DS since December 2011 (got it as a Christmas gift), and I've played it with varying frequency throughout the years. It was around 2017 that I started noticing that my 3DS battery tended to run out faster than it had before, and that it charged more quickly than what I was used to as well. At the time, I simply chalked it up as my 3DS getting old, as well as some games being more graphically intense than others, since some games lasted one hour before needing to be recharged while others took 2 or 3, and the graphics and animations of said games varied wildly.

While I was surprised by how quickly I needed to charge my 3DS when playing Fates back in July, it was during the month of October that I thought it was becoming a more serious issue. I had bought Metal Gear Solid 3D and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (As I decided I wouldn't have much luck hoping they would eventually show up some time at a game store, much less at a reasonable price, so I bought physical copies online), and when I started playing the former, my 3DS ran out of power in the middle of the first cutscene. Even when playing Shadow Dragon, the game barely lasted 10 minutes before the red light blinked desperately, and it charged in less time than that. Since I never had issue with DS games draining the batter quickly, I knew something was up. I still managed to play these games, but I had to be permanently have my 3DS hooked up to a charger, and now my 3DS can barely stay on for more than 5 seconds before turning off again if it's not plugged in.

Today, when trying to complete Metal Gear Solid 3D, my 3DS quit in the middle of the session. I don't know if I bumped something or what, but I decided enough was enough, and opened the back of the case to see what had happened to the battery. I took some pictures, which are shown in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20191115_170637407.jpg

My 3DS on its side. The side has been cracked for a month or two, although it wasn't as noticeable. (Yes, that's The Hobbit in the background. The 50th anniversary edition, in fact)

IMG_20191115_172046341.jpg

How the battery looked after I opened the case.

IMG_20191115_172115816.jpgIMG_20191115_172245014.jpgIMG_20191115_172215912.jpg

How the battery looks from different angles. Part of the battery is cracked for some reason. I don't know if that happened before I opened the case or as a result of it.

Since this is the first time I've encountered a technical issue like this before, I have a few questions:

Thanks in advance for your answers. If there are any other things you believe I should know or questions you have to ask, feel free to put them down.

I've been there, the correct answer is to get that 3DS battery out of that 3DS and insert a new one.

Mine was swollen so bad, you could see the bulge on the controller from many feet away. The corners of the panel meant to keep the battery in were practically pressable buttons in their own right, not that they did anything.