Remaster a smash character - Round 06: Kirby

Zapp Branniglenn

Round 4 is Samus, but let's throw in Dark Samus as well being an echo fighter and all

Spoiler

Gameplay

• Let Samus crawl in morph ball form. I seriously don't know how they added crawling in Brawl yet never thought to allow Samus this ability when she has been rolling through crawl spaces longer than Snake has.
  • Modify Down B so that Samus can place bombs faster without having to stop her crawl. However, all bombs should lose the ability to explode early when touched. They would make her tricky to approach if bombs had less lag, and It's not even canon anyway. Aerial bomb drops would be unchanged.
  • have F-tilt perform the Melee Counter from Samus returns. It will reflect projectiles that Samus is facing, though the reflect window won't be as generous as similar moves, it will come out quicker than most. And also smack opponents away at a low angle to set up tech chases. If it comes out at the same moment as a clankable melee attack, the other character gets a harsh recoil animation as if they lost the clank opening them up to a close range punish like charge shot or any smash attack. But since aerials can't clank It won't actually be a functioning counter in the smash bros sense. 
  • Replace N-Air with the Hyper Ball from Prime 3. Or at least, without the Phazon motif, it'll just be regular electricity. Functioning basically as a multihit N-air like Pikachu's or Mewtwos. I think Samus ought to have another move to fall down on people with and even attempt drag down combos which her Pre-Smash 4 N-air wouldn't be able to do.
  • Replace her jab combo with a triple punch combo where the final one is her current F-Smash animation blasting them away. 
  • Replace F-Smash with a big ol' spinning kick. Kind of like Terry's where she flies a bit forward and both feet leave the ground.
  • Apply all of the above to Dark Samus as well.
  • Give Dark Samus less roll distance. While Dark Samus' rolls having less endlag is a relatively harmless difference, it bugs me since Samus herself has the best roll distance in the game. When Dark Samus has that same distance, it makes roll spammers difficult to catch and cover.

Aesthetics

• Samus' visor and other glowy bits on her suit should glow red (at least on her basic varia suit outfit) when at 100% damage or more to reflect some of the games.
  • Costumes: Hoo boy. A lot of these color schemes vaguely resemble suits across the series, but poorly. The blue suit should be the actual Fusion Suit. The brown one should resemble the Dark Suit better. The white one should resemble the Light Suit better even though I think that design is bad. Black should better represent the Phazon Suit of Prime 1. Green should be swapped for the PED suit of Prime 3 since that's an awesome design. And I'd replace the purple suit with the Samus Returns gravity suit design.  Pink can stay. 
  • Replace Samus' Fthrow with the overblast move in Other M where Samus tackles an enemy to the ground and blasts them point blank
  • Replace Samus' Up Taunt with her checking a holographic map being projected from her visor.
  • Replace the victory animation where samus fires a missile past the screen with one of her emerging from the top of her gunship like at the start of most Metroid games. 

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:
  • Let Samus crawl in morph ball form. I seriously don't know how they added crawling in Brawl yet never thought to allow Samus this ability when she has been rolling through crawl spaces longer than Snake has.
  • Modify Down B so that Samus can place bombs faster without having to stop her crawl. However, all bombs should lose the ability to explode early when touched. They would make her tricky to approach if bombs had less lag, and It's not even canon anyway. Aerial bomb drops would be unchanged.
  • have F-tilt perform the Melee Counter from Samus returns. It will reflect projectiles that Samus is facing, though the reflect window won't be as generous as similar moves, it will come out quicker than most. And also smack opponents away at a low angle to set up tech chases. If it comes out at the same moment as a clankable melee attack, the other character gets a harsh recoil animation as if they lost the clank opening them up to a close range punish like charge shot or any smash attack. But since aerials can't clank It won't actually be a functioning counter in the smash bros sense. 

Quoting these because I like them and I would make these changes as well.

Samus really feels like the most outdated character in the roster to me. In particular I don't like how many melee and limb attacks she has, things she basically never does in her own series. Here's what I have:

• Replace forward smash with wave beam. It's a small projectile that moves through most objects and enemies. Shielding will prevent the opponent from taking damage but the projectile keeps moving. Naturally, it can also be reflected.
  • Replace down smash with ice beam. It shoots ice up on both sides of her, similar to Mega Man's down smash, and freezes at higher percents. The more it charges the bigger the hitbox is.
  • Replace dash attack with speed boost. It sends her far very fast, but has low knockback.
  • Replace up tilt with a quick power beam shot above her. This also causes her to duck slightly.
  • Instead of bombs being down special, make them down tilt. As mentioned above, let her role around dropping bombs without stopping, but with delay between laying them.
  • New down special is power bombs. They have a longer timer than regular bombs, but have decent kill power and a much bigger hitbox. To balance them, they can be neutralized in many ways, including by attacks, inhalation, etc. and can be reflected. There can also only be one on the field at a time, and at least a 5 second delay before dropping the next one.
  • Replace neutral air with screw attack. It would be similar to Pikachu's nair.
  • Yes, she still has screw attack up special, but let it angle more and have the hitbox stay active for a bit on the descent.
  • Make her final smash the phazon beam. It can function the same, but it's blue and she wears the phazon suit while firing.
  • Replace up taunt (the salute) with Samus typing into her arm cannon, like this.
  • Replace a victory screen with her entering her ship from below. Just not the one where she does the pose from Metroid 2/Samus Returns.
  • No reason her color alts can't actually look like the suits they're based on rather than just being colored like them.

I don't know much about Metroid so i'll just say what I do know.

Allow her to infinite wall jump like in the GBA games.

Make her actually fast like she is in most games.

Morph Ball mode is something I can get behind, Morph jump as well.

I'd like to see her recovery the speed boost jump, but that would be way too good, so I suppose the screw attack is okay, just give it some height, please.

After seeing how Mega Man used his Buster for his neutral, Ftilt, and Nair, I kinda want to see Samus do the same with her Power Beam, with the addition of Dtilt being a low crouching shot, Utilt and Uair being upward shots, and Dair being a downward shot. Her Fsmash and Usmash could be Charge Beam shots. Her new Nspecial could be Missile while her new Fspecial could be Speed Boost.

Round 5 is the beeg Yoshi.

Spoiler

Gameplay

• Egg Roll is a waste of a Side B. Make it Egg Toss instead. And take this opportunity to make the move control like in the actual games, so long as direct hits still pop opponents up damage is tone down a bit. I just think the current move is very difficult to use - especially for low level players or anybody who doesn't turn tap jump off. It really shouldn't be an up special.
  •  The new Up B is him licking upward. Grabbing opponents out of the air just as surely as with neutral B. And allowing him to tether to a ledge above him. Yoshi's Story has you using your tongue this way so why not?
  • Make it so Neutral B can eat projectiles which will stay in Yoshi's mouth for him to spit out with the next press of B or Up B if he wants to lob the projectile into the air. It will disappear from his mouth if he takes damage but he otherwise retains access to the rest of his moveset. Trying to eat an explosive projectile results in immediate recoil damage though. Eating a person always results in the typical egg lay.

Aesthetics

• Costumes: Replace Crafted World Yoshi with Yarn Yoshi. I recognize one is more recent than the other, but the other looks like an actually different skin. Digging into the seven remaining colors stings a bit, since it could have been the eight yoshis of the original Yoshi's Island, but Brown has never made an appearance and I know fans love Black Yoshi who got the boot between Smash 4 and Ultimate. Ultimately I'd leave them alone, except for swapping Purple Yoshi for Boshi since that is my headcanon for who Purple Yoshi ends up being.
  • Give Yoshi a new idle animation where he wags his finger like in Yoshi's Island.
  • When Yoshi successfully connects a F-air meteor have a sound clip of him saying "whoa!". I know such a clip is already in the game.
  • Put a proper voice acted clip for Yoshi's Down B. His ground pound is iconic. He invented it, damnit
  • Adjust Up Taunt so that Poochy appears and dances with Yoshi.
    • Do the same as above, but with Yoshi's victory animation where he's doing a spinning dance. More Poochy in Smash please.