Unlikely character skills.

I'm just curious, but has anyone actually trained a character in a skill they're not actually good at?

For example, I've taught Bernadetta the Brawling skill even though it's her weakness... (really though I just want her to be able to beat the piss out of her father when the time comes) and I found out it's actually not so bad for her - she gets to attack many times (and she has a decent Attack too, especially with Persecution Complex), which should bolster her Crest which allows her to attack even more.

Really though, the weakness doesn't have much of an effect on Bernadetta, especially with the statues to help me.

Who else has given characters skills that are their "weaknesses"?

I have made Catherine go into Mortal Savant... twice? So I had her learn a bunch of Reason twice.

On my current playthrough, I am attempting to make Gremory Manuela for Bolting shenanigans. Already I can see the problems with this in just raising her Reason rank. Although, things will not be so bad in the end. Which will be near the end of the game, likely.

One of my favourites is to train Flayn as a Fortress Knight. She can potentially end up with great RES and CHA from being Flayn and great DEF from being a Fortress Knight, making her pretty much immortal. She takes a lot of babying to get to that point, and at the end of the day, you're still left with a Fortress Knight, so it obviously isn't actually a good build, but I had way too much fun with it.

I’ve done Great Knight Raphael before. His riding weakness made it annoying, but he made it to C+ pretty easily, which gave him a decent chance to pass the certification. Actually having the mobility to keep up with the rest of the party meant he was my go-to wall. Dude even took no damage from the final boss (SS)

I've tried to make Manuela a gremory, but training a magic character in using both types of magic just makes sense in pre-master classes. 

In NG+ I've gone way out of my way to unlock blow skills on all units it made sense for, as well as Quick Riposte on all the men. War Master hanneman is a sight to behold but not something I'd go for in a serious playthrough.

I trained Bernadetta in swords so that she could learn lethality from Assassin and become a Falcon Knight.

Also trained Mercedes in lances to make her into a Holy Knight.  Mostly just testing the waters with that.

Trained Felix as well in Authority, as I kept glossing over the fact that his personal skill means he's probably better off not fighting alongside a battalion.

I'd like to see if I can train Lysithea and Annette in Heavy Armor.  The former is just super squishy, and the latter could use the -3/-5 Weight skill because otherwise she's not gonna have fun using axes.

Also trying to train Catherine and Manuela to be Mortal Savants.  Again, just testing the waters.

Also, does anyone else find it funny that Jeritza is the guy who teaches you about the Battalion Guild, yet he has a weakness in Authority?

I've made Lysithea a fortress knight but returned her to a warlock not long after, gave her some kind of bulk which was nice. Made Bernadetta a warrior and used Dimitri's battalion (NG+) to carry her until she came online (note this was before you could afford anything NG+). Theoretically she'd have made the most use out of her Vengeance ability but raising authority and axes is kind of a full fledged job at that point.

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Trained Felix as well in Authority, as I kept glossing over the fact that his personal skill means he's probably better off not fighting alongside a battalion.

I trained all my units in Authority, so I could give them all battalions. Not that I use the battalions much though.
I gave Felix some Faith training so he could use healing skills... buuuut he's in a class that doesn't use them, so...
(At least he can use magic once he reaches one of the Master classes, there's heaps of magic-using classes.)

I just realised that Bernedetta is also ready to promote into an Advanced class. Still not quite sure which one though, so I'll have to do some grinding... (as well as grind for Byleth's axe skills so he can become a Hero). I may also have to train Bernie in Authority to give her that cool-as-ice battalion...

I trained Dorothea to get riding to become a holy knight . I don’t plan on focusing on it too much though until I have reached new game plus on all 4 of my saves for maximum bonus points a run . I imagine being able to put points in those weakened stats even if only they had gotten to E+ last run will go a way towards helping them master said skills or putting them in byleth so he/she teaches those skills slightly better until they catch up . Byleth got a S in my last but byleth would mainly focus on teaching horse / flying and heavy armor to those weak as I find those the hardest to actually learn . The double orbs can help a lot here 

Edited by MasterSlayerX

16 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also, does anyone else find it funny that Jeritza is the guy who teaches you about the Battalion Guild, yet he has a weakness in Authority?

Well, he doesn't take orders well (See: chapter 4. A Mysterious Mage (who is one of Those who Slither in the Dark) orders him to attack Byleth and co., and he wastes no time refusing). So that makes sense. His being rather hard to approach is another thing (considering that Mercedes and Byleth are the only ones who can support him...).

Edited by Shadow Mir

I am training a Gremory Bernadetta right now. I know neither magic is a weakness but training two neutral skills is not a picnic.

Edited by De Geso

On 11/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

she gets to attack many times (and she has a decent Attack too, especially with Persecution Complex), which should bolster her Crest which allows her to attack even more.

Can the Crest of Indech stack with weapons that already have the brave effect, like gauntlets? My gut says no, but I would happily be proven wrong.

Anyway, I'm currently building up my Annette's Armor rank. Not to use her as an Armor Knight, but because getting the certification ups her HP to 30 and Defense to 12. And D-rank is quite attainable. Used the same trick for Ashe and Dedue (who, admittedly, are not weak in Armor).

55 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Can the Crest of Indech stack with weapons that already have the brave effect, like gauntlets? My gut says no, but I would happily be proven wrong.

Anyway, I'm currently building up my Annette's Armor rank. Not to use her as an Armor Knight, but because getting the certification ups her HP to 30 and Defense to 12. And D-rank is quite attainable. Used the same trick for Ashe and Dedue (who, admittedly, are not weak in Armor).

I know with a brave bow Bernadetta can use her crest to get a third attack in before retaliation.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That reminds me, I saw a similar suggestion regarding having mages qualify for Fortress Knight, but shot it down because it was way too impractical.

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That reminds me, I saw a similar suggestion regarding having mages qualify for Fortress Knight, but shot it down because it was way too impractical.

Yeah, there's a massive difference between achieving D-armor (do-able by anyone over a couple months) and getting B-armor (will take like half the game or longer, assuming you're not in an armor class and working against a weakness).

1 hour ago, De Geso said:

I know with a brave bow Bernadetta can use her crest to get a third attack in before retaliation.

Neat, was not expecting that, will have to try it out myself on Bernadetta or War Master Hanneman, haha.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Dunno, really. I have yet to see her activate her Crest. But if I can get her speed up and she uses the Crest while attacking with the gauntlets, I bet I can get her to attack FIVE times!

How broken would that be, seeing she's already a strong attacker in my playthrough?...

But I've had to lay off the gauntlets for now because I need to consider what Advanced/Master Classes she's gonna take on.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ertrick36 said:

I trained Bernadetta in swords so that she could learn lethality from Assassin and become a Falcon Knight.

Also trained Mercedes in lances to make her into a Holy Knight.  Mostly just testing the waters with that.

I'd like to see if I can train Lysithea and Annette in Heavy Armor.  The former is just super squishy, and the latter could use the -3/-5 Weight skill because otherwise she's not gonna have fun using axes.

Also trying to train Catherine and Manuela to be Mortal Savants.  Again, just testing the waters.

I did the same thing with my Bernie (Falcon Knight/Lethality. she triggers it quite often). 
in my current playthrough I am going to really train Mercie in Lances/Bows/Swords (flying/horses)  (for the new classes)

i rec. getting felix to at least B in authority. a lot of the battalions give massive avoid (which helps) and the 5 hit is usually negated. so i just do it now. 

annette in heavy armour.. i should try that. poor thing is abysmally slow anyway). 

19 hours ago, De Geso said:

I've had my bernie trigger "Indech" on brave bow, so i've her at one time do six hits.it was a beautiful thing. 

Edited by daisy jane

8 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I've had my bernie trigger "Indech" on brave bow, so i've her at one time do six hits.it was a beautiful thing. 

Wow... lucky you!

I wonder if Bernedetta can still use Brawling skills as a mounted unit... if she can't, then I guess I'll have to unmount her to use the brawling skills...
Oh wait, I can still try it out...

9 minutes ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Wow... lucky you!

I wonder if Bernedetta can still use Brawling skills as a mounted unit... if she can't, then I guess I'll have to unmount her to use the brawling skills...
Oh wait, I can still try it out...

she'll have to be dismounted to do it. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, Shadow Mir said:

That was me, and I specifically stated it was only practical on NG+ or with excessive grinding. Characters like Marianne, Lysithea, and Dorothea benefit greatly from getting buffed to 30 HP, 17 Strength and 17 Defense, not to mention the Weight -3 that comes at C Armor. Even characters like Ingrid and Bernadetta can get mileage out of this.

Basically, if I want to raise a weakness for something that's more novel/a major hassle I'll get the character early, buy skill ranks wherever possible to make them combat ready from the start, and then set lectures to the weaknesses for the whole game, letting me start the next playthrough with weaknesses at A or higher.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, daisy jane said:

she'll have to be dismounted to do it. 

Yeah, just found that out myself. I went into Caliver!Bernadetta's inventory and the gauntlets were greyed out.

One thing I've noticed with Bernadetta is she started off as quite a fragile unit who fell to attacks real easily. Now she has better defences than Sylvain but I'd argue it's because she is at a much higher level no thanks to excessive grinding. I figured I'd go for Wyvern Lord because she doesn't have a boobplate because she looks more badass. Damn, I just love how Three Houses lets anyone be anything, provided you invest in the skills needed first.

What actually happens gameplay wise when you reach the end though?