Let's make up some skills for Holy Blood

Jotari

So Three Houses reintroduces the Holy Blood mechanic (kind of). But there's no eugenics system, so to make it more special, they made it so each crest came with a proc skill of some sort. I was thinking, I wonder if they'll do something similar for Holy Blood when Genealogy of the Holy War gets remade. Skills in that game are already connected to the units in a similar way, it wouldn't be that big a stretch to, say, attribute Astra as a crest skill instead of a regular skill. Although for the same of fun and interesting conversation, it would probably be better to attribute skills that aren't preexisting on the unit already. Anyway, what do you think? Got any ideas for skills they could attach to the Holy Blood groups in Jugdral? You can speculate based on what you think is most thematically appropriate for the family in question (say something like Fury on Hezel, although I believe all the Three Houses skills are proc based so that probably wouldn't work) or based just on what you think would most improve them as units. I actually don't really have many ideas other that ripping off mostly useless skills already in Three Houses.

I think I will try applying the original Genenalogy skills to this question.

Odo - Astra: Thracia 776 almost made this canon already, as the talk that gets Mareeta Astra makes it clear only those of Odo blood can use that skill.

Hezul - Luna: There are three sword skills, and three sword bloodlines so it made sense for Hezul to get one of  them. If Hezul had Sol, it would feel kinda silly for Eldigan to give his sister the earth sword.

Baldo- Sol: Similar sorta logic as above, but I will add that Tyrfing having a more defensive skill, and Mytlettain having a more offensive one was a factor.

Nova - Critical: Thanks to Quan, everyone of Nova blood has this skill, so having it tied to the holy blood seems equally appropriate.

Dain - Nihil: Everyone of Dain blood we see has this skill, plus it seems appropriate for the holy blood of the family that rides Wyverns giving it immunity to arrows.

Neir - Vantage: Enough of those with Neir  bloodline have this that it felt appropriate.

Ullur - Charm: The Ullur bloodline doesn't have very consistent skill, so I though about those that would benefit archers. Those of Ullur's bloodline tend to be archers or support classes (healers and thieves) both of which tend to need defending, so being able to aid their defenders seems like a good skill for them

Bragi - Miracle: Again there is no really consistent skill, but it felt appropriate for those descended from the one who revived the continent's religion to have miracle.

Forseti - Adept: For two reasons, first Adept is a notable skill on Lewyn, and thus all the Forseti blood we see, and second it feels very appropriate for wind mages to use that.

Vala - Accost: With one of the three attack skills given to one of the three magic types, it felt appropriate to link the two. I was tempted to give them Pursuit (as Azel has it even if Arvis doesn't) but I ended deciding to give those that use the heaviest tomes, the method of getting extra attacks that is least reliant on speed

Tordo - Pursuit: Its mostly just due to the magic and extra attack link at this point. Wrath is also a tempting option, as it has some ties to those of Tordo blood, and uses a lightning bolt for its symbol, but I have other plans for that skill.

Naga - Renewal: This skill is far more tied to the circlet of Deidre/Julia, but that is an integral part of them, and it is one of the only ways to get that skill. The unused Holy Sword skill is a tempting choice, but it seems unused for a reason. The Nihil skill is also tempting options, as Nihil is kinda key to taking down Julius, but it feels more appropriate on Dain.

Loptyr - Wrath: By far the most frightening skill on Julius's list, plus it just feels appropriate for those of Loptyr blood to have. The unused Darkness sword skill is also tempting, but both it and the Holy sword seem kinda broken, and unused for a reason.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think I will try applying the original Genenalogy skills to this question.

Odo - Astra: Thracia 776 almost made this canon already, as the talk that gets Mareeta Astra makes it clear only those of Odo blood can use that skill.

Hezul - Luna: There are three sword skills, and three sword bloodlines so it made sense for Hezul to get one of  them. If Hezul had Sol, it would feel kinda silly for Eldigan to give his sister the earth sword.

Baldo- Sol: Similar sorta logic as above, but I will add that Tyrfing having a more defensive skill, and Mytlettain having a more offensive one was a factor.

Nova - Critical: Thanks to Quan, everyone of Nova blood has this skill, so having it tied to the holy blood seems equally appropriate.

Dain - Nihil: Everyone of Dain blood we see has this skill, plus it seems appropriate for the holy blood of the family that rides Wyverns giving it immunity to arrows.

Neir - Vantage: Enough of those with Neir  bloodline have this that it felt appropriate.

Ullur - Charm: The Ullur bloodline doesn't have very consistent skill, so I though about those that would benefit archers. Those of Ullur's bloodline tend to be archers or support classes (healers and thieves) both of which tend to need defending, so being able to aid their defenders seems like a good skill for them

Bragi - Miracle: Again there is no really consistent skill, but it felt appropriate for those descended from the one who revived the continent's religion to have miracle.

Forseti - Adept: For two reasons, first Adept is a notable skill on Lewyn, and thus all the Forseti blood we see, and second it feels very appropriate for wind mages to use that.

Vala - Accost: With one of the three attack skills given to one of the three magic types, it felt appropriate to link the two. I was tempted to give them Pursuit (as Azel has it even if Arvis doesn't) but I ended deciding to give those that use the heaviest tomes, the method of getting extra attacks that is least reliant on speed

Tordo - Pursuit: Its mostly just due to the magic and extra attack link at this point. Wrath is also a tempting option, as it has some ties to those of Tordo blood, and uses a lightning bolt for its symbol, but I have other plans for that skill.

Naga - Renewal: This skill is far more tied to the circlet of Deidre/Julia, but that is an integral part of them, and it is one of the only ways to get that skill. The unused Holy Sword skill is a tempting choice, but it seems unused for a reason. The Nihil skill is also tempting options, as Nihil is kinda key to taking down Julius, but it feels more appropriate on Dain.

Loptyr - Wrath: By far the most frightening skill on Julius's list, plus it just feels appropriate for those of Loptyr blood to have. The unused Darkness sword skill is also tempting, but both it and the Holy sword seem kinda broken, and unused for a reason.

Sol is also the skill of Byleth's Crest so there's a link between Sol and Protagonist already established.

• 1 month later...

Odo - Astra: No explanation needed for this one

Hezul - Bargain: Something about blondes and shopping; although this skill wouldn't work against Anna

Baldo - Miracle: Just trying to save a life here

Nova - Return: The unused skill that Quan really needed

Dain - Dance: They need money to feed their people

Neir - Paragon: Axe users have been more abused by FE than the Lopt Cult

Ullur - Accost: Something about this skill and bows just goes so well; make it rain!

Bragi - Recover: The last thing the ultimate healer needs to worry about is HP 🤦‍♂️

Forseti - Adept: Makes perfect sense

Vala - Steal: Because it's canon

Tordo - WrathBecause Thor

Loptyr - Pavis/Big Shield: S***s on everyone above

Naga - Nihil: S***s on Loptyr

Edited by MasterJP28

• 1 month later...

I'll take a different aproach, and bring in non-native skills for each blood type.

Baldur: Rescue. Every unit with Baldur blood ends up (if not starts) on a horse, so a GBA-style ability to rescue/give/take/drop other allies would fit naturally. Plus it fits with Ethlyn carrying Altenna. Becomes Savior (no stat penalties) with Major blood.

Noba: Darting Blow (AS+6 when initiating combat). Synergizes fairly well with adept from Quan, also fits Altenna as a flier. Becomes Darting Blow+ (AS+12) with Major blood.

Ulir: Bowrange+1. Not much use to the clerics or Patty, but Lester will appreciate this. And the Major-blood Briggid and Faval will rain death with Bowrange+2. No 3H-style hit rate penalties at extended range, either.

Neir: Armored Stance (Def+6 when under attack). Helps Lex, and his potential kids, become even better physical tanks. Becomes the nigh-impenetrable Armored Stance+ (Def+12) with Major blood.

Fala: Fiendish Blow (magic attack +6 when initiating) will be useful for Azel and magical offspring. Whereas Major Blood gives Arvis exclusive access to Fiendish Blow+ (MA+12). Suddenly Belhalla makes more sense.

Odo: Evasive Stance. Gives Avoid +15 when under attack. All Odo-blood bearers are fast sword users, so this builds on that (and especially upon Balmung). Becomes Evasive Stance+ (Avo+30) with Major blood.

Naga: Warding Stance. Resistance +6 when under attack (including from status staves). Major blood boosts it to Warding Stance+, granting Res+12. Heightens the already-high Res offered by Naga's blessing.

Hezul: Retribution. Lets Raquesis and kids counter any attacks with 1-range weapons, when HP < 50%. Major-blood wielders get Vendetta, which adds the Wrath effect. Better talk Eldigan down.

Sety: Celerity (Movement+1). With the Crusader's wind at their back, units with minor Sety blood can move a bit further. Effect is doubled for Lewyn and son (Patty's a boy, right?), who get Celerity+ (Move+2).

Bragi: Blessing. Based on the Tellius skill, it restores HP equal to blood-bearer's Resistance to unit and all adjacent allies at the start of every turn. For major-blood units like Father Claude, it becomes Pure Blessing, now reverting status ailments as well.

Tordo: Magic Range +1. Tinni gets to borrow from Gaiden's Thunder and 3H's Thoron, because now all her offensive spells are 1-3 range. Major-blood barriers get the even-scarier Magic Range +2.

Dain: Death Blow. Physical attack power +6 when initiating an Attack. And with Major blood, the effect becomes Death Blow+, for +12 power. Have fun in Chapter 9.

Loptyr: Lifetaker. After any initiated attack, restores HP equal to half of damage dealt. With Major Loptyr, becomes Soulstealer, negating the skill boosts from Holy Blood of targets. No effect against Naga wielders.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'll take a different aproach, and bring in non-native skills for each blood type.

Baldur: Rescue. Every unit with Baldur blood ends up (if not starts) on a horse, so a GBA-style ability to rescue/give/take/drop other allies would fit naturally. Plus it fits with Ethlyn carrying Altenna. Becomes Savior (no stat penalties) with Major blood.

Noba: Darting Blow (AS+6 when initiating combat). Synergizes fairly well with adept from Quan, also fits Altenna as a flier. Becomes Darting Blow+ (AS+12) with Major blood.

Ulir: Bowrange+1. Not much use to the clerics or Patty, but Lester will appreciate this. And the Major-blood Briggid and Faval will rain death with Bowrange+2. No 3H-style hit rate penalties at extended range, either.

Neir: Armored Stance (Def+6 when under attack). Helps Lex, and his potential kids, become even better physical tanks. Becomes the nigh-impenetrable Armored Stance+ (Def+12) with Major blood.

Fala: Fiendish Blow (magic attack +6 when initiating) will be useful for Azel and magical offspring. Whereas Major Blood gives Arvis exclusive access to Fiendish Blow+ (MA+12). Suddenly Belhalla makes more sense.

Odo: Evasive Stance. Gives Avoid +15 when under attack. All Odo-blood bearers are fast sword users, so this builds on that (and especially upon Balmung). Becomes Evasive Stance+ (Avo+30) with Major blood.

Naga: Warding Stance. Resistance +6 when under attack (including from status staves). Major blood boosts it to Warding Stance+, granting Res+12. Heightens the already-high Res offered by Naga's blessing.

Hezul: Retribution. Lets Raquesis and kids counter any attacks with 1-range weapons, when HP < 50%. Major-blood wielders get Vendetta, which adds the Wrath effect. Better talk Eldigan down.

Sety: Celerity (Movement+1). With the Crusader's wind at their back, units with minor Sety blood can move a bit further. Effect is doubled for Lewyn and son (Patty's a boy, right?), who get Celerity+ (Move+2).

Bragi: Blessing. Based on the Tellius skill, it restores HP equal to blood-bearer's Resistance to unit and all adjacent allies at the start of every turn. For major-blood units like Father Claude, it becomes Pure Blessing, now reverting status ailments as well.

Tordo: Magic Range +1. Tinni gets to borrow from Gaiden's Thunder and 3H's Thoron, because now all her offensive spells are 1-3 range. Major-blood barriers get the even-scarier Magic Range +2.

Dain: Death Blow. Physical attack power +6 when initiating an Attack. And with Major blood, the effect becomes Death Blow+, for +12 power. Have fun in Chapter 9.

Loptyr: Lifetaker. After any initiated attack, restores HP equal to half of damage dealt. With Major Loptyr, becomes Soulstealer, negating the skill boosts from Holy Blood of targets. No effect against Naga wielders.

Nice ideas, but some might be overkill unless the stat system gets a major overhaul. Armoured Blow +12 would make Langbolt and absolutely monster to take down in Chapter 12. Forseti would basically be the only option. Avoid +30 coupled with Balmung would essentially give Shannan the effect of "Cannot be hit".

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Nice ideas, but some might be overkill unless the stat system gets a major overhaul. Armoured Blow +12 would make Langbolt and absolutely monster to take down in Chapter 12. Forseti would basically be the only option. Avoid +30 coupled with Balmung would essentially give Shannan the effect of "Cannot be hit".

Fair points. I wanted to make the skills strong, without being overpowered. The one area I "backpedaled" in, was initially giving Pass to Baldur blood units. So now Sigurd doesn't even have to kill anyone but the boss to seize. That said, even these may be a bit too indulgent. Maybe they'd work if the stat boosts from Holy Weapons were cut in half? IDK.