Continent Name for Fates?

So I am working on this story and basically rewriting the entire story of fates 

I am taking some ideas from Three houses(The children of the goddess thing)

Introducing another kingdom( and some new characters)

reducing the  cast

making 2nd generation a time-skip

Lilith will have more to do with the story 

Corrin and Azura will not be related 

Will touch upon the concubine wars

Moro is a woman and Lilith's mother

It's more or less implied that there are two continents(similarly to how Europe and Asia are considered two continents despite occupying the same landmass), that are indeed named Hoshido and Nohr. The continent name is just a low hanging fruit to criticize fates terrible world building.

I mean, I'd agree if they were fully separated by the Bottomless Canyon, but they're not. There's no official one no.

There's a couple of fanon ones, like Fateslandia or Nohrhido. I will point to Moirai as the best choice though.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I mean, I'd agree if they were fully separated by the Bottomless Canyon, but they're not. There's no official one no.

There's a couple of fanon ones, like Fateslandia or Nohrhido. I will point to Moirai as the best choice though.

Ah yes, because Asia and Europe have a bottomless canyon between them as well.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I had thought of Hoshinohr when it came out.

Regarding the one or two continent thing... it all boils down to perspective.

For the Europe and Asia example, the two-continent system is a cultural divide. The Ural and Transcaucasia Mountains were chosen as the dividing lines. So even if Europe is only a fraction of Asia's size, it's considered its own continent. Physically, it's true it's only one: Eurasia (let's omit for now that Africa is also physically connected, the Suez Canal doesn't count due to being an artificial divide). A similar argument can be said for North/South America with the Panama Isthmus. Two culturally, one physical as well?

So for Fates... it boils down if you consider the Bottomless Canyon to divide culturally the landmass. If anything, it's a detail that can be used in the story.

I wonder what characters OP deems necessary/worthy of removal.  There are some obvious ones that add nothing of value to the story or world such as Setsuna, but there are a number of other minor characters that help build what little world we've got in Fates.  Not just talking about my favorite (most here know who that is), but other characters as well such as the tribal characters or the beast folk.  If I were to remove characters, I'd start with basically all the 2nd Gen (or just have them show up in a post-ending scene, similar to Roy and Lilina in Blazing Sword) and the Awakening characters.  Even if some of them are well-written, none of them add anything to the world of Fates.  I might also be inclined to replace the Awakening characters with their children (except Selena, obviously).  If children were to show up at all, the Awakening expies wouldn't in a fan-fiction I'd make.

As for the continent name.  I'm gonna agree with the idea that the kingdoms' names are also the names of continents, mostly just for the sake of not having to create a new name.  They're different enough culturally (inferred that Nohr is basically Europe and Hoshido is basically Asia) that I think it could be believed.

2 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Ah yes, because Asia and Europe have a bottomless canyon between them as well.

I will confess, it doesn't help that there's a tundra right above the canyon that is completely unused and with that there combined with my own opinion that the scale of the two never seemed sufficient to refer to both as continents (Unlike Asia and let's be fair arguably Europe) I've never felt like both would fit as continents.

Also, could you imagine how literally every other nation felt about Hoshido/Nohr also being the name of the continent? We don't get any suggestion any of the other nations arose from Nohr or Hoshido (In a manner quite like Crimea/Daein to Begnion) and that these countries truly ruled the landmasses in full for certain, which could help explain the idea that these landmasses were also used as the names of the nations when they were first established.

smh Garon why wouldn't you use the literal frozen wasteland to invade Hoshido through?

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I had thought of Hoshinohr when it came out.

Add it to the pile.

Is the other kingdom in the frozen northern wasteland @OP?

Also what changes are made that Corrin and Azura are now not related? Asking because I'm wondering how it changes these character's relations to certain figures.

As a side-note, relevant to that last point, I just got reminded that the Artbook actually labels them as distantly related; and not as first cousins.

Unless that change is also that they're not related at all.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As a side-note, relevant to that last point, I just got reminded that the Artbook actually labels them as distantly related; and not as first cousins.

Unless that change is also that they're not related at all.

That contradicts in game, where their mothers are sisters.

That's odd actually.

You could also do things like make Mokushu (Kotaro's ninja land) like Brigid or Almyra, or Duscur. You could do this with any tribal area actually. Separate and their own state, but interacts with the main land.

I second Dayni, Moirai.

Edited by Dragoncat

On 11/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, Ertrick36 said:

I wonder what characters OP deems necessary/worthy of removal.  There are some obvious ones that add nothing of value to the story or world such as Setsuna, but there are a number of other minor characters that help build what little world we've got in Fates.  Not just talking about my favorite (most here know who that is), but other characters as well such as the tribal characters or the beast folk.  If I were to remove characters, I'd start with basically all the 2nd Gen (or just have them show up in a post-ending scene, similar to Roy and Lilina in Blazing Sword) and the Awakening characters.  Even if some of them are well-written, none of them add anything to the world of Fates.  I might also be inclined to replace the Awakening characters with their children (except Selena, obviously).  If children were to show up at all, the Awakening expies wouldn't in a fan-fiction I'd make.

thanks I am planning on removing Orochi, Reina, and simply making them npcs(Also Orochi is married to Izana and they have two kids in the sequel). But I might remove some more

• 2 months later...

I think the way the writers meant it to go, was that Nohr and Hoshido were both the name of their respective nations and the Continent they were on, since you can see that they are somewhat split, enough so that you can consider them separate continents.

Its by far not a perfect explanation, nor really a good one, but its probably what was meant to be the case.