The YouTube, COPPA, and FTC Situation

indigoasis

I rather it not pass. I think this overregulation. Kids have been exposed to ads on television, in stores, and through out life already, and I do not think ads targeting them online is that much worse than other forms of advertising. If parents have issues with exposing their kids to online ads, use an adblocker and get familiar with parental controls.

If criminals cannot use ignorance of the law as a defense, parents should not use ignorance of technology to have the government to babysit their kids at the expense of other people.

18 hours ago, XRay said:

I rather it not pass. I think this overregulation. Kids have been exposed to ads on television, in stores, and through out life already, and I do not think ads targeting them online is that much worse than other forms of advertising. If parents have issues with exposing their kids to online ads, use an adblocker and get familiar with parental controls.

If criminals cannot use ignorance of the law as a defense, parents should not use ignorance of technology to have the government to babysit their kids at the expense of other people.

It's already a law, this situation is the charge against YouTube for non-compliance. The problem is that YouTube is now shifting the burden of compliance onto users, while not giving them enough tools to reliably ensure that they meet the requirements while not ruining their channels.

edit: Here's a video that explains the situation in exceptional detail, if dryly

Edited by Johann