Jump to content
Etheus

What is your favorite FE character trope/archetype? Least favorite?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

My issue with her is that she does shit that she can only get away with because she's a cute girl. Borderline sexual assault, repeated counts of stalking and sexual harassment that go well beyond anything Inigo has ever done (or could do and not rightfully get his shit kicked in). The biggest offenders are her supports with Ophelia, Ignatius, and her japanese support with Forrest.

I mean to be fair she is pretty darn cute but I get what you mean. Hell that’s the main reason I can excuse a lot of shit she does. Cute anime girls just have far too much power over me. Also not helping matters is that I’m a sucker for yuri but that’s besides the point. I just find it amusing is all because if Soleil what that booty boy is she gonna get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I mean to be fair she is pretty darn cute but I get what you mean. Hell that’s the main reason I can excuse a lot of shit she does. Cute anime girls just have far too much power over me. Also not helping matters is that I’m a sucker for yuri but that’s besides the point. I just find it amusing is all because if Soleil what that booty boy is she gonna get it.

I've got no issue with people who find it entertaining. I'm a big believer in black comedy. But I just personally don't find it fun, mostly because the game doesn't really lean enough into how fucked up her behavior is, making it feel not very self-aware. The universe of Fates seems to say she treats women better than Inigo does, when this... just isn't remotely true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I've got no issue with people who find it entertaining. I'm a big believer in black comedy. But I just personally don't find it fun, mostly because the game doesn't really lean enough into how fucked up her behavior is, making it feel not very self-aware. The universe of Fates seems to say she treats women better than Inigo does, when this... just isn't remotely true.

Oh no I completely understand what you’re saying here cause I see it too. I just ignore it because “cute anime girl do the funny” but I can see how others could find it uncomfortable. It’s a matter of taste at the end of the day

Edited by Ottservia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite: Is being genuinely helpful considered a trope? I've noticed that most of my favorite characters (Stahl, Laurent, Libra, Arthur, Lukas, and the like) aim to use their abilities to be aid others in their interactions, each in their own unique way. I can see how others can find them boring, but I find the various conversations and situations these characters can find themselves in to be enjoyable and distinct enough to not be repetitive.

Least Favorite: Finding killing entertaining. Doesn't mean I dislike these kind of characters, but the ones I do enjoy have great black comedy quotes, fun banter with other characters, and/or another aspect is present (such as the jokes being a coping mechanism, or a way to show that because the protagonist isn't taking the situation seriously, neither should you). Peri fails on all these accounts and then some, while I alternate between laughing at Henry's antics and wanting to punch him in the face (and sometimes both at once).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the shrinking violet types, like Tine, Rolf, Olivia, etc. Those that start off as very shy and insecure, but gradually gain more confidence and a voice to speak up for themselves. Tine is the best of this archetype, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"archetypes I like"

"female Jagen". Like Reina or Titania are some kind of a trope I like, if I could call them this way. I just like it if they have a bit more experienced woman in the army. Who also show a lot of battle experience. 

The Camus type, is there I am a bit mixed. I don't dislike Xander. But he could have been made better of course. But Camus is a top notch character for me which I really really like.

Echidna and Rinkah are also some kind of archetype which is not hit as much. While they don't always have the bet plot to build them up they are very unique in appearance and I just love them.

Archetypes I dislike

Also agree with the bandits. Its like we have this army of beautiful people and evil peasants are those kind of type which is just there as canon fodder.

Kill for fun.. I am really mixed with Peri. Partly I like her, but that she does not appreciate live at all or at least has some remorse is something I do not like. On one side they have to be ruthless.. but this I don't know. 

petit Manakete. Its not that I totally dislike them, but to me they have taken overhand in the games. I want more variance in Manakete from gender to age to whatever. But we are just stuck with "young" manaketes if we get one most of the time. But this is more the absence of other Manaketes which annoys me with it. I wouldn't mind a mid age old male Manakete or older female Manakete... to be fair there are not this many though. But I hope in future, if they add them. That they also add other ones not following this..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stroud said:

"archetypes I like"

"female Jagen". Like Reina or Titania are some kind of a trope I like, if I could call them this way. I just like it if they have a bit more experienced woman in the army. Who also show a lot of battle experience. 

The Camus type, is there I am a bit mixed. I don't dislike Xander. But he could have been made better of course. But Camus is a top notch character for me which I really really like.

Echidna and Rinkah are also some kind of archetype which is not hit as much. While they don't always have the bet plot to build them up they are very unique in appearance and I just love them.

Archetypes I dislike

Also agree with the bandits. Its like we have this army of beautiful people and evil peasants are those kind of type which is just there as canon fodder.

Kill for fun.. I am really mixed with Peri. Partly I like her, but that she does not appreciate live at all or at least has some remorse is something I do not like. On one side they have to be ruthless.. but this I don't know. 

petit Manakete. Its not that I totally dislike them, but to me they have taken overhand in the games. I want more variance in Manakete from gender to age to whatever. But we are just stuck with "young" manaketes if we get one most of the time. But this is more the absence of other Manaketes which annoys me with it. I wouldn't mind a mid age old male Manakete or older female Manakete... to be fair there are not this many though. But I hope in future, if they add them. That they also add other ones not following this..

I'd lump Echidna and Rinkah into the tomboy archetype alongside Sully, Lethe, Kjelle, and Leonie.

 

(In my opinion, Rinkah being the best example and Sully being the worst.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

What archetype would people consider Takumi and Soren to be part of?

Soren would likely fall in the Meric archtype. The teenage starting mage who often has at least some ties to the main lord and who often  uses wind magic. Same as Meric, Azelle, Asbel, Erk etc.

Takumi is more tricky. The wiki places him in the Hardin archetype but I'd argue he could just as easily belong to the cold sniper type like Shinon and Innes. Personally I'd say he's multifaceted enough to stand outside the archetypes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Soren would likely fall in the Meric archtype. The teenage starting mage who often has at least some ties to the main lord and who often  uses wind magic. Same as Meric, Azelle, Asbel, Erk etc.

Takumi is more tricky. The wiki places him in the Hardin archetype but I'd argue he could just as easily belong to the cold sniper type like Shinon and Innes. Personally I'd say he's multifaceted enough to stand outside the archetypes. 

Thank you! In that case I don't think it's their archetype as much as I just dislike them as characters, good to know.

On that note, I have to say my least favorite archetype is probably the "A-hole Womanizer". I don't mind the womanizer characters that aren't rude about it or seem to genuinely have good intentions but the ones that just use people grate my last nerve. Tied with that one is the "Chronic Over-reactor" who I place characters like Bernadetta in. You know the ones who just constantly scream about everything...

My favorites are a bit tougher but I suppose the easiest to name is the Camus archetype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, those kind of follow this too. I think Leonie such a potential which could have been better. If it wouldn't be for her to be focuses a bit too much on Jeralt. 
Kjelle is nice, (Awakening armors are uncanny though).  And of course Lethe is also nice. But Rinkah is still the best followed by Echidna. Have to say though that I like the personality of Echidna a bit more. They even changed one support between Rinkah and Jakob in the west. Because Rinkah was pushed there.. although Jakobs, (You'll be mine) was not too bad I found it unfitting in regard to Rinkah, she was a bit of a loner though and it would be strange for her to act there I guess..
At least Petra did the right thing there xD Loved her support with Claude.

Writing of Petra. She is also an archetype I like. The Athena trope I would say. The cool thing about her is also the development you could see. Both Athena and Petra are really nice for me. But sometimes you also just have to differ, if its more trope or the character you like. Pushing characters into tropes can sometimes do them unjust and they are more than just this. But regardless we still have our preferences though regarding certain characters. So its not entirely wrong, its just better to give other characters a chance. While I dislike the little manakete trope I still like Tiki and see her as a mascot material. And Myrrh is also not too bad. 

 

Edited by Stroud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Oh yeah, those kind of follow this too. I think Leonie such a potential which could have been better. If it wouldn't be for her to be focuses a bit too much on Jeralt. 
Kjelle is nice, (Awakening armors are uncanny though).  And of course Lethe is also nice. But Rinkah is still the best followed by Echidna. Have to say though that I like the personality of Echidna a bit more. They even changed one support between Rinkah and Jakob in the west. Because Rinkah was pushed there.. although Jakobs, (You'll be mine) was not too bad I found it unfitting in regard to Rinkah, she was a bit of a loner though and it would be strange for her to act there I guess..
At least Petra did the right thing there xD Loved her support with Claude.

Writing of Petra. She is also an archetype I like. The Athena trope I would say. The cool thing about her is also the development you could see. Both Athena and Petra are really nice for me. But sometimes you also just have to differ, if its more trope or the character you like. Pushing characters into tropes can sometimes do them unjust and they are more than just this. But regardless we still have our preferences though regarding certain characters. So its not entirely wrong, its just better to give other characters a chance. While I dislike the little manakete trope I still like Tiki and see her as a mascot material. And Myrrh is also not too bad. 

 

Lethe and Rinkah are my favorites of the type. And Lethe was my original FE waifu (think of that what you will), and I still ship her and Ike. I'm generally very fond of the tomboy trope. 

 

I think Leonie doesn't get enough credit. She's an amazing unit and she has some genuinely good supports. Her Lorenz supports in particular are excellent in that they showcase Lorenz's hidden positive character traits and open both of their eyes to the arbitrary nature of the class system. Her love for Jeralt is a bit heavy handed, but there is a fully realized character under them.

 

 

As for Echidna, I can't comment. Little experience with FE6, but she has a good design.

 

As for the nature of tropes, I view them as being the opposite of restrictive. They are a convenient short-hand for comparing characters in how they differ. For example, Forde and Kieran both fall into the traditionally reckless red cavalier trope. But Forde is a sensitive artist with a somber backstory and a deep friendship with his rival. While Kieran is more boastful and energetic, striving towards a knightly ideal and using his rival as a means of comparison and one-upsmanship. Both are great in their own regard, but Forde resonates with me particularly strongly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite: The Ogma: the character (usually a mercenary) who joins early-to-mid game with great base stats, good growths, and usually an interesting character. 

Least Favourite: I have a few, and I can't decide which one I dislike the most:

  • The Tiki Archetype: aka the little-girl-dragon archetype. It's long gotten stale, and a break from it would be much appreciated. How about a heroic playable dragon who's a young guy, or young woman that at least looks and acts like an adult, rather than "1000 years old but looks and acts 10". 
  • The Tharja: playable character that is obsessed with the protagonist/avatar and acts very creepily, "but it's fine because look at her; top waifu material" <-- what often feels like the main defence for this archetype. I can't stand it, plus it seems to present a double-standard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Soren would likely fall in the Meric archtype. The teenage starting mage who often has at least some ties to the main lord and who often  uses wind magic. Same as Meric, Azelle, Asbel, Erk etc.

I wouldn't put Azelle in the Merrics. He has too much wrong to classify as one.

There are three True Merrics to me: Merric, Asbel, and Soren.

Then, there is the near-True Merric I hesitate to accept, but acknowledge: Ricken.

Then, there is the wannabe True Merric I choose to ignore: Hayato.

Then, there is the Merric of right hair and join time, but not right relation or magic affinity: Lugh

Then, there is the gameplay and general personality Merric, but who lacks for the relation and the all-important hair color on top of magic affinity: Erk.

Then, there is the Merric without right-hair and right-relation that exists in Lieberia: Maruj.

No other Merrics exist. Azelle has sex and join time, but not right-relation and right-magic affinity.

 

The three True Merrics are very distinctive despite what they share, and I love all three of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My literal favorite thing in Fire Emblem are the cinematic tracking shots when an archer fires an arrow. And when they just lob a shot way high in the air to get over a wall and miraculously hit a target they can't see. I will never grow tired of that

...oh, favorite character trope. I guess I like how some characters don't immediately love the main character and are skeptical of their skills or motivations. Like Shinon not wanting to work for Greil's inexperienced mutt, or Innes not being keen to take orders from his rival, Ephraim. Or even Takumi from Fates. These guys have their own flaws, but they're the ones I'm trying hardest to please. Hey, wait, they're all archers...

What I don't like is the "...but I can't die here" characters. You know the ones. Villains that are soundly defeated by the player, only to escape once they're inches from death. Often times the writers don't even explain it away with warp magic! They just walk out, or we're told in dialogue "It's a shame we couldn't apprehend General Craven" when he was literally within reach of our swords on that final turn. A good throne room always has a secret exit, why have the writers never relied on that old trope?

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't put Azelle in the Merrics. He has too much wrong to classify as one.

I wouldn't say there's much wrong with Azelle as a merric. The only thing he's missing is a wind alignment which always struck me as the least important trait of a Merric. Being a kid/teenage magic user, being the starting mage and knowing the lord always struck me as the more important characteristics. 

Azelle shows most of those traits. He's hardly a shota but he is quite young and to me even looks some years younger than he actually is, he's also the starting mage and while not part of Sigurd's loved ones they at least know and like each other. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The Tharja: playable character that is obsessed with the protagonist/avatar and acts very creepily, "but it's fine because look at her; top waifu material" <-- what often feels like the main defence for this archetype. I can't stand it, plus it seems to present a double-standard. 

Y'see my main problem with this archetype is that it feels like the developers are trying to have their cake and eat it too. I mean nothing wrong with fanservice or whatever but it just feels like the pandery way in which these characters are written is just tacked on and doesn't feel like a natural part of their character. Cause fanservice aside, Tharja and Camilla are legitimately well written characters. It's just the devs feel they need some kind of wank material for the player so they dile up the fanservice to 11 and yeah it just doesn't work if you ask me. Like with Camilla it's a little more excusable but it still feels really unnecessary and tacked on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Soren would likely fall in the Meric archtype. The teenage starting mage who often has at least some ties to the main lord and who often  uses wind magic. Same as Meric, Azelle, Asbel, Erk etc.

Takumi is more tricky. The wiki places him in the Hardin archetype but I'd argue he could just as easily belong to the cold sniper type like Shinon and Innes. Personally I'd say he's multifaceted enough to stand outside the archetypes. 

Takumi mostly applies as a Hardin because he turns into the final boss of Conquest for similar reason other Hardin does... Some kind of dark connection (in this case, dark thoughts about Corrin, himself, etc) being used to easily being manipulated and turned into a puppet of the Big Bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite archetype would be the Hardin or whatever archetype you would call Jill.

The changing of alignments is the key theme here. Whether it’s  a noble person falling into evil or someone from an enemy nation having a crisis of conscious and defecting sides, I’ve held a fascination since a child with these kind of behaviors with characters in pop culture like Catwoman who grey the lines between good and evil.

My favorite of these archetypes would be Zephiel and Jill respectively. Blazing Sword does a good job of actually makin you adore Zephiel... then he rips your heart out when you seek out an English patched binding blade. 

Jill’s enlightened racist storyline is just compelling and easily makes her one of the best characters in her game.

My least favorite is the Bord and Cord Archetype. In most titles neither of the fighter duo boast much utility long term even though they join early. Worst offender is Bartre who is a unit I adore as a character butbpull my hair out trying to raise. It’s ironic that a character I love makes me hate his archetype but why is it the first game I played where both of the duo were viable was Radiant Dawn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, Alastor15243 said:

My issue with her is that she does shit that she can only get away with because she's a cute girl. Borderline sexual assault, repeated counts of stalking and sexual harassment that go well beyond anything Inigo has ever done (or could do and not rightfully get his shit kicked in). The biggest offenders are her supports with Ophelia, Ignatius, and her japanese support with Forrest. Meanwhile the game constantly implies she's both a better flirt and better person than her father.

TBH, most of the child characters in Fates were all awfully written, and only some could even rest on the border of "OK." Kana, Percy, Nina, Ophelia (but only because Odin is utter shit)... you name it. The child characters are mostly trash (Not Dwyer; he makes tea for his mother. 10/10). But Soleil... 

I fucking hate her. I don't. I just don't get why people like her. @Alastor15243, you've summed it up perfectly.  

On 11/23/2019 at 9:22 AM, Ottservia said:

Tharja and Camilla are legitimately well written characters.

Tharja, perhaps. I do think there is a lot more to her than "creepy stalker." But Camilla: 

Oh hell no. No.

She is literally just fanservice for horny teens, with an extra cutscene added in. She acts, talks, and looks like a character from hentai. I don't get why these archetypes of characters exist in the first place. And no, she is not well written. Whatever qualities she was meant to portray... Loving? Sure. Nurturing? Sure. But the way she portrays these qualities is loathsome, abominable, disturbing, and just plain disgusting at times. At the very best, it's inaccurate. 

Also, while I'm on the subject of Fates (time to rant!), there is no good reason as to why any of the royals should have an S support with Corrin. (BTW, Camila's S support with Corrin would make a great intro for a porno). "Oh, but they're not related by blood." It's lowkey incest. M!Corrin can have an S support with Sakura (also Hinoka, but Sakura bothers me more). Great! Marrying an 14 year old? Sure! Related by blood! Yeah! Oh wait... she's technically not your sister because y'know... 

Spoiler

Sumeragi only had Corrin with Mikoto!

Time to make this seem perfectly acceptable and get married! Again, lowkey incest. Fates seems to like promoting incest at this point by aking this seem even remotely OK in a Fire Emblem game. What is even more disturbing is that people really do like to pair Corrin up with a member of the royal family. Stuff like this is horrible. Stuff like this shouldn't exist in any game. Technicalities don't matter here. 

Stuff like this is why I utterly despise Fates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much of a trope or archetype it is, but I really like characters with an odd yet strong relationship. Muarim and Tormod, Gerik's mercenaries, and Tibarn and Reyson to name a few. I don't know, the series' mantra about bonds hits closer to home when I see stuff like that  guess.

As for least favorites, while I want to like it, the Camus usually comes across as contrived. It's hard to justify not joining the unambiguously good guys and continue to serve an evil dragon lord and still come across as a decent person. I guess Selena is an exception. 

I also don't like the skirt chasers for the most part. Sain and Gatrie have dialogue that makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable (Sain physically lunges at some women) and that's generally all there is to them. It's so odd because being flirty and wanting a relationship are natural things and should be easy to implement into a more diverse character personality. While he's a bit of a dick, I like Sylvain because it's clear there's a lot more to him than his flirting. Same with Virion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite trope: Maybe the older sister flying mount user like Minerva, Fiora, Laegjarn etc. Flying mounts are cool and those characters come off as cool beauties while also showing care for their younger siblings. Laegjarn is my personal favorite because she's also a well done Camus, which should be celebrated.

Least favorite trope: I'm going to callthis the "devotee", a character who is obsessed with another (typically the main character) for little reason, like Tharja, Camilla and Faye. It's not always all encompassing of who they are but the character worship is grating. I'm never gonna be over Tharja being in love with Robin because of a sex dream she had.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to like the "Seasoned Warrior" types of characters in Fire Emblem games, like the Jagens and characters like Tauroneo. They're neat and add flavor to the cast. It also helps that they are often absolute units ingame.

I gotta say I don't like the Camus archetype much. It's a little silly for a game about warfare to have, like, 1 token good guy opposing the heroes, and even more contrived how on-the-nose the "likability" of characters most of these characters are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...