Which death in 3H affected you the most? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Nice little topic here, so as we know 3H puts a lot of emphasis on character deaths, and that you'll have to kill many of the students you saw at the Officers Academy. Obviously some students you can't wait to kill (I'm looking at you Lorenz) or are at least indifferent to (oh hello Ignatz) but with a rich and diverse group of people invariably you'll have to kill a favourite or two.

So which death affected you the most? Which student did you hate to kill?

I'll start myself with Mercedes.

BL was my first run through and as a result I have a big soft spot for some of the characters (Dedue, Annette, Mercedes, Ingrid). I also realised that in recruiting half of the BE house, I had lessened the impact of the story, as I wouldn't have to kill Bernie, Petra or Dorothea. It was a fun run through however and Mercedes was one of my favourites due to her ability to nuke (as I had put a lot of focus into Reason) while healing. Plus Live to Serve makes her a brilliant front-line healer. I loved her interactions and support conversations and her friendship with Annette was magnificent.

So for my following play throughs I made a rule that I could only recruit 2 characters, one from each house (except SS which will be a recruit everyone run). For my GD run I chose to recruit only Ingrid and Bernie.

So fast forward to Gronder Field MK II and I'm forcing my way through the BE and BL forces. It's hurting to kill the likes of Felix or Sylvain but then at the end I killed Mercedes and I saw her death quote.

No word of a lie, I turned the Switch off, chucked it to the end of the sofa and spent the next 15 minutes telling myself that I was a monster. The option didn't appear to spare her, so that was it, she was dead. I had killed the absolute sweetest cinammon roll and there was no going back.

In the end I struggled through, but I was remembering that I had killed Mercedes and was very thankful that Annette didn't show up during GD. Don't know what I would have done if she had been killed as well.

So with that in mind, which character death affected you the most?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None honestly, but that's not any fault of the game. There are very few times in video games where a character death got an emotional reaction out of me. The only thing I can say for sure is that I make Bernadetta an automatic recruit through all playthroughs so I don't have to kill her. In fact, I place no recruitment restrictions on myself. I'll recruit whoever even if I don't plan on using them just to avoid more death.

Spoiler

Out of video games as a whole, the only time I got super emotional were Xion in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Isara in Valkyria Chronicles.

Edited by Sentinel07

I played GD first, so when I went through BL I didn't know Lorenz defected to the Empire and you would have to kill him if you didn't recruit him in White Clouds. I was pretty salty over that.

I felt bad about murdering Bernadetta and Linhardt, particularly because I saw no reason for them to be there, but whatever game

Jeralt. But if it was anyone else death, I think it was Mercedes too. I didn't manage to recruit her in my first playthrough so I was like eh..My first path was Edelgard's. In my BL playthrough ; I recruited every BE so it was less impactful as well. Dedue's death was quite sad (though in my save, he was alive as he didn't turn into a monster) 

Rodrigue death in BL was quite something too. Except those I've mentionned, I don't remember something another death. I spared almost every student who could be spared in my first save, because I didn't know the game would have considered them dead. I was hoping to see them again..I think that's one thing they missed in this game, but anyway it was a very good game. 

Oh forgot to include Emil's death in BL path, I was so sad for Mercedes...(she is one of my favorite so..)

Edited by Metakirby

When I was playing my first playthrough of Three Houses, it was with the Golden Deer. I only recruited Bernadetta that playthrough.

When I got to Chapter 15 and saw Ashe, I remember using Divine Pulse to see a way to spare him. The boy had suffered enough before this war already, what with Lonato’s death and all. In the end, Ashe was the first student killed in all of Three Houses for me.

(spoilers for this post, especially AM)

I killed Felix with Sylvain after their boss conversation referenced their support which I'd seen from BL. That felt real bad. "Remember how we promised we'd die together?"

Not a death scene per se, but another scene that gets to me is the flashback to child Dimitri and Edelgard in the late stages of Azure Moon. Seeing those two kids being happy together and knowing that no matter what route you will take, that it's impossible for it to end in anything but tragedy, tugs at the heartstrings for sure.

Flayn and Seteth in Crimson Flower. I wanted to spare them due to the hints from the dialogue beforehand, but I think Flayn started moving and I had to use Petra to finish her off. // Killing Flayn and seeing Seteth's reaction was something else.

Otherwise killing Ferdinand when Dorothea is in the party (during Azure Moon or Verdant Wind routes). I love Dorothea post-timeskip as she seems to be the most in tune with the "horrors of war" aspect of Three Houses

Lastly, Edelgard in the Blue Lions route. I went Crimson Flower first and seeing the history of Edelgard and Dimitri made me want a happy ending. Alas, it was not to be, and Edelgard's death in BL impacted me a little bit. // Also, I find her death in BL to be more impactful than the Church route or the Golden Deer route (although Silver Snow should've had more of an emotional connection, but that is for a different topic).

29 minutes ago, Sire said:

Otherwise killing Ferdinand when Dorothea is in the party (during Azure Moon or Verdant Wind routes). I love Dorothea post-timeskip as she seems to be the most in tune with the "horrors of war" aspect of Three Houses

Oh yes, this so much. That may be one of the best-delivered lines in the game.

(CF spoilers below)

1 hour ago, Elephantus said:

I think for me it was Dimitri and Dedue in Crimson Flower, after playing Blue Lions beforehand. I was able to spare Claude and happily did so, but I always knew that those two would meet their end no matter what, and it did not leave me cold.

This sequence also really got to me. Have you seen the version of the scene where Dedue survives? I really liked that one too. (I also liked how your actions in the battle could affect things there, even if sadly there's no way to save Dimitri.)

For me it was definitely Dimitri in basically any route he dies in, but especially CF. I just feel like they did him kinda dirty in VW and SS and then there's no option to save him in any of them and it just stinks. But I tried to recruit as many students as I could even in my first playthrough so the only death that I really got to see in terms of the non-lord characters was Ashe and that was sad. Poor Ashe didn't deserve all the crap that happened to him.

I don't think any death really "affected" me per se, but I will say that I did feel bad killing Seteth and Flayn, and Claude the one time I did (solely to see how that version of the scene played out). I was pissed off that El was killed MID-SENTENCE in VW (she's given up on herself, and opening up to someone for the first time in 5 years, and you just tell her to fuck off and die? I used to think Byleth was a nice guy). And I still, absolutely, under any circumstances, REFUSE to kill Dorothea. Edelgard I don't want to, but I will if the story dictates it. Dorothea, never.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Just now, Sid Starkiller said:

I don't think any death really "affected" me per se, but I will say that I did feel bad killing Seteth and Flayn, and Claude the one time I did (solely to see how that version of the scene). I was pissed off that El was killed MID-SENTENCE in VW (she's given up on herself, and opening up to someone for the first time in 5 years, and you just tell her to fuck off and die? I used to think Byleth was a nice guy). And I still, absolutely, under any circumstances, REFUSE to kill Dorothea. Edelgard I don't want to, but I will if the story dictates it. Dorothea, never.

I imagine Byleth know it needed to do this quickly considering what he previously discussed with Seteth... Killing her is a bit too painful, and he needs to make it as quickly as possible

----

... I'm cursed... hahaha.

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Oh yes, this so much. That may be one of the best-delivered lines in the game.

(CF spoilers below)

This sequence also really got to me. Have you seen the version of the scene where Dedue survives? I really liked that one too. (I also liked how your actions in the battle could affect things there, even if sadly there's no way to save Dimitri.)

I have not, actually. What do you have to do to have Dedue survive?

(CF and AM spoilers)

Mercedes and Linhardt were both really heartbreaking. Killing such peaceful souls should be illegal.

Ashe and Dimitri battle quotes in CF also just made me realise: Yup, we most definitely are the baddies.

Hilda's death also has got to be one of the most memorable ones.

9 minutes ago, Elephantus said:

I have not, actually. What do you have to do to have Dedue survive?

You have to defeat him before getting in his range (e.g. with Meteor, I assume Stride-strats work too) so that he doesn't use his "last resort" strategy. Not sure if there are any other requirements, e.g. if the order you defeat him and Dimitri in makes a difference.

One death that kind of affected me in my first playthrough of the game with the Golden Deers was Ferdinand. Ferdinand was the first student that I was forced to kill in the timeskip (I had recruited Ashe prior to the timeskip, so I was able to spare him and have him rejoin my team). I felt bad enough being forced to kill him, but I had recruited Dorothea in my first playthrough, and hearing her base conversation about how we killed Ferdie really hurt.

I always recruit everyone I can so I have never seen student deaths (other then Hilda, Dedue and Dimitri).  Flayn's in CF was sad for reasons stated above, but the one that really got to me was Rodrigue.  I I played BL first and I just ended up really liking Rodrigue and hoping he would be playable, only to have my hopes crushed.  If I can vote for Rodrigue in CYL 4 I will vote for him in the hopes of getting to use him in Heroes.

I can't say there's really been a game that's made me all that emotional in a long time, and that trend will continue it seems. That said, I did get a slight guilt seeing former students die, might have been better if one of the requirements wasn't basically having no investment in them though.

Well first I did CF and had accidentally recruited the only Golden Deer you fight and accidentally spared Claude. Killing Hilda made me feel bad, she was also the only Golden Deer I thought died (poor Marianne, in hindsight).

Flayn and Seteth survived without me really trying, Flayn made me feel like maybe I was the bad guy.

As for Blue Lions, I hadn't interacted with any except Felix who I recruited kinda last minute without trying for him. (I had forgotten about recruiting until Ignatz mentioned his jealousy about not getting to see the tomb, I hit recruit out of curiosity. I thought he was an autorecruit for the level.) So I pretty much made him murder all of his friends and his own father. Some may recall I made a thread about that.

Now I avoided spoilers but there was one trailer that showed Dimitri's psycho smirk when he loses it on Edelgard, I thought originally he went crazy due to captivity and this trailer scene plus Felix had me convinced he was secretly Caligula, so I actually hated the guy when it came to fight him and easily bought Hubert and Edelgard's propaganda. So basically it took until Edelgard was moments away from decapitating the guy before I really started to question if I was the baddies.

My second playthrough in Verdant Wind was pretty painful, I only recruited the Knights of Seiros and Felix so I had to kill all the Black Eagles who I had grown rather fond of (I'd reset a few times as I was kinda bad at the game and learning, so I had a lot of time invested in these guys). Special highlights go to Ferdinand, Bernie, Dorothea.. ok all of them, it was rather odd to go from accidentally having all these characters at pending S rank by timeskip to murdering them all. I still feel a little dirty I can't save Hubert. Ironically the only one that fell flat was Edelgard because that seen did not fit at all.

Azure Moon I recruited Lys, but all the other Golden Deer hurt (well, Lorenz survived) particularly Raphael and Ignatz. Edelgards death I felt bad not for her but Dimitri, took Azure Moon for me to start liking the guy, but it did it.

Silver Snow I felt bad for Dimitri's maybe death, bit confused on that one. The Reunion scene with Edelgard helped actually make me feel kinda bad she died and her cut off confession actually had some weight to it - considering I kept choosing the "don't want to fight" dialogue choices since the timeskip.

I can't really do Crimson Flower now, the body count isn't really worth it when the changes more or less happen in all routes anyway.

8 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Bernadetta being sent on the front lines is just brutal.

She didn't even want to fight. 

Incidentally, if you consider all dialogue, then Bernie had otherwise spent the last 5 years of the war hiding in her home until she was literally conscripted by Edelgard to be the bait for the burning fort strategy, she's 5 years out of experience being made to fight on the frontlines against two battlehardened armies. No wonder she's terrified.

Jeralt. Byleth literally tries everything they can to stop it from happening, but its not enough. Or just is futile. I relared so hard to that, i just fucking lost it first time i played. Too familiar of a feel. 

On 11/23/2019 at 6:06 AM, Sentinel07 said:

...and Isara in Valkyria Chronicles.

Aaaaand I just got spoiled. Crap. But the game's somewhat old so..I can't really complain.

I ended up with two 'recruit everyone' runs (it wasn't planned, believe me) as my first ones (BL and GD btw) so I didn't really fight most of the students (in fact, the only 'unlock' student that died was Felix). On the other hand, Edelgard's death on VW left a..bite taste on my mouth. I opposed almost everything about Edelgard until that moment, even being kinda of happy for having another chance to fight her (especially after BL's ending). Byleth slowly walking and Edelgard's lines getting cut by his slash just made me feel..really uneasy.