Which death in 3H affected you the most? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

14 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

Edelgard. Especially in Verdant Wind and Silver Snow. Like wow, really freaking dark. Easily the most depressing and darkest death. Dimitri's is sad too and didn't sit well with me. Then also Hilda, since you can't really avoid killing her in Crimson Flower. 

You can. I was able to avoid killing Hilda. It wasn't easy mind you, but it's doable

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/27/2019 at 6:36 AM, ZeManaphy said:

I really feel sorry for Dimitri, since he got shafted so hard in Silver Snow and Verdant Wind. My head canon is that he survived the battle in Gronderfield in Silver Snow and is currently atoning for his sins under a false identity.

I completely agree with this, and that is also the headcannon I came up with for SS. SS at least leaves it a bit vague (especially if you pick "Dmitri" to worry about, and he shows up in his post-timeskip outfit to talk to you. That does imply that he may actually be alive since in SS Byleth otherwise doesn't see Dmitri in his post-timeskip garb (at least I think that's the case).

VW though, that legit made me feel really bad. I wish they'd made it so you could save him somehow.

Jeralt since I'm one of the 2 people in the universe who didn't see it coming~

Dimitri in every path where he dies~ CF has Edelgard needlessly mocking him, VW has a pathetic death off screen, and SS has a pathetic death off screen that could have been prevented if I didn't have to listen to Seteth's headass.

Hilda in CF. I completely forgot for some reason that Marianne was a Golden Deer when I chose to fight Hilda with her and was immediately devastated when I got their dialogue. I would have at least preferred her not to go down to a classmate.

Seteth and Flayn in CF is just cruel~ 

I think oddly enough for me it was Ferdinand of all people. I went out of my way to recruit everyone in this game on my first playthrough, even the harder recruits like Caspar. All except for Ferdinand, I didn’t see much use in his as a unit as a combination of Sylvain Leonie and Lorenz made up my cavalry squad and I really didn’t wanna train heavy armor. But then seeing him on the bridge, having to kill him, it hurt. Then Dorotheas dialogue after the battle really hit me hard

Flayn in Crimson Flower. 

1)  Its Flayn

2) Seteth was still alive when she went down, so I got his reaction to it.

3) I killed her with a gauntlet-specc'd caspar. (i.e. I killed this sweet little girl and bundle of sunshine by just straight-up punching her to death. In front of her dad.)

4) Afterwards there were supports and cut-scenes where Caspar was his usual jolly, enthusiastic self. Completely divorced from the gameplay and what he had just done. (i.e. "dude--You murdered Flayn. By punching her until you broke her body. Stop being happy--you should never be happy. Be sad forever; be ashamed of what you did here today.")  

_______
That was the one where i really felt the ((oof)) of "wowwwwww; we're the bad guys here." 

Edited by Shoblongoo

I had luck with Flayn as I used Byleth against Seteth so in this case they could flee. Didn't know that it was possible to kill them of it it weren't for others telling it.

But what made me worry a bit is that I had to fight Leonie. Wasn't too fond of her being beaten. But overall its not that I feel affected. It just leaves a bad taste.
Also Jeralt wasn't so emotional for me, but more because I kind of expected it anyway and it feels like a habit in Fire Emblem.

Edited by Stroud

• 4 weeks later...

Not a student, but Lord Lonato. When I first received the mission in my first playthrough (Black Eagles), I'd heard the name before but had forgotten who he was (he was kind and just wanted his kid back, so I didn't want to fight him, but there was just something extra important about him) until I went to the Cathedral and talked to Ashe. Then, I remembered everything and my heart sank. The two of us were going to run off together in my Blue Lions playthrough and here I am about to kill his adoptive father. I brought him along to see if it would somehow change the outcome, but in the end, I had to be the one to take Lonato out. It took Ashe two months to pull himself together. Even if it's not entirely by his own merit, I feel like Lonato is Three Houses's Mustafa.

Not sure if I posted in this topic yet, but Hilda in CF, especially if you played GD beforehand. She tells you she doesn't understand how people could put their lives on the line for a cause and then 5 years later she does that exact thing.

Flayn and Seteth are also pretty sad.

As many have said before, i've got to go for seteth and Flayn in CF. It's heartbreaking, not just their death quotes and seteth's grief, but also Rhea's reaction afterwards.

MUST YOU TAKE EVERYTHING FROM ME!

This probably my favourite line of dialogue in the game, Cherami Leigh puts so much power and emotion into it i'm stunned every time I hear it.

However unlike others who vouched for Seteth and Flayn I make sure to kill them and not spare them whenever i'm forced to go through Crimson Flower. Not because I hate them because I don't, Seteth in particular is top 3 three houses characters for me, but just because their deaths are so emotional I want to experience it everytime. I always tend to think tragic stories in general are better and so in addition to not recruiting more students than I have to for supports, I make sure not to spare optional characters.

2 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

As many have said before, i've got to go for seteth and Flayn in CF. It's heartbreaking, not just their death quotes and seteth's grief, but also Rhea's reaction afterwards.

This probably my favourite line of dialogue in the game, Cherami Leigh puts so much power and emotion into it i'm stunned every time I hear it.

However unlike others who vouched for Seteth and Flayn I make sure to kill them and not spare them whenever i'm forced to go through Crimson Flower. Not because I hate them because I don't, Seteth in particular is top 3 three houses characters for me, but just because their deaths are so emotional I want to experience it everytime. I always tend to think tragic stories in general are better and so in addition to not recruiting more students than I have to for supports, I make sure not to spare optional characters.

But then you won't be able to do Linhardt and Leonie's paralogue if you kill them.

You can do the Leonie/Linhardt paralogue before the battle with Seteth/Flayn.

I basically agree with all of @SpiceMan's thoughts. It's a good sequence with good work by the voice actors, especially the Rhea scene at the end. That's when you know there's going to be no reconciliation between Byleth/Edelgard and Rhea. I don't think the equivalent scene where Seteth sends a letter instead carries nearly as much impact.

Story-wise it was Jeralt for me. I knows dads in FE always die (except Eliwood), but he lasted so long I was convinced he'd be the exception. Then you have Byleth doing their best to save him and crying for the first time...and then entire monastery spends the next month mourning him too. It's heartbreaking.

I also felt terrible during my first run (CF) because I barely recruited anyone, which meant having to fight way too many students. I did my best to spare as many as possible (I didn't realise you could save Seteth and Flayn...), but you're forced to kill the Blue Lions (except Ashe) and I felt like a monster each time..:'(

Honourable mention to Edelgard's death in VW and SS. Byleth just wants to get it over and done with, but her getting killed mid-sentence really...shook me, and it's interesting how everyone here who brought this death up also said her being cut off made it even more painful too. Very interesting indeed...

The Seteth/ Flayn deaths are doubly painful with the Rhea cutscene after, as @Dark Holy Elf says - whatever you think of her at that point, there's no denying she's geniunely horrified to hear of their fates. I remember thinking she was unhinged from Chapter 11 onward but that moment really drove home that at the end of the day she was just another person trying to do what she thought was right and we simply disagreed with her.

Edited by DefyingFates

Flayn in CF.

I had to put down my Switch for a bit after that one. Seteth's reaction straight up just, stabbed a knife right through my heart. Rhea going completely off the edge after hearing of their death was also just 😰

Dimitri and Dedue in CF too. Frankly at that point I'd really stopped caring about the story in that route and was mostly just in it for the gameplay but fucking hell Tailtean was by far the best chapter in that route. Dimitri's execution scene was a very nice parallel to the final cutscene in AM and if you take out Dedue first, that final conversation him and Dimitri have is just 👌

Edelgard, specifically in SS. You spend half the game with her, building her up to be a stronger unit, learning about her as a person/character, then you have to fight against her in a war. The scene where she dies though is really what hit me. The way her lines are delivered, the reluctance you can see on Byleth's face, the music. It's like this scene was specifically made to get the player to cry. VW I don't think has the same emotional impact that SS does because you don't spend half the game with Edelgard and learning about who she is, but rather Claude.

None really affected me, but it's precisely because of death quotes and to see where students end up if I don't recruit them that I wish this game had more route-exclusive characters.

I got a switch and Fire Emblem only this year, and my first playthrough was Silver Snow(on accident). Because I recruited no one outside of the Church, I ended up being able to field a (mostly) Church Based squad, which I thougth was cool so I wouldn't get tired of the main Black Eagles lineup for my Crimson Flower playthrough in the future. It was interesting to see where Ashe and Lorenz ended up, although I don't really remember any other characters showing up, specially because as you fight the Adrestian Empire while having all the Adrestian empire characters outside of Hubert and Edelgard, there wasn't a lot of room to see former students.

In my second run, Verdant Winds, I recruited Ferdinand and Linhardt because I now knew I needed them for paralogues. Seeing Bernadetta and killing her was interesting; Caspar I couldn't see a single fight or death quote because that map made me desperatly rush the Death Knight in Maddening. The most dramatic lines were when I had to kill the Blue Lions in Gronder Field 2.0. And I really liked Dimitri calling their names as I killed them. Except for some reason he didn't call out Sylvain's name (and Dimitri died before Mercedes and Dudue, so I don't know if he sticks to the "Name..." trend).

Had the game incorporated more students in their houses and into the war, with more route-exclusive characters to supplement their absence, I think they could have written more meaningful deaths for the students that don't join you.

Edited by Maravalhas