Surprised the lack of Three Houses appearances so far

Midnox

This is basically the opposite of I’m getting sick of Fates thread I’ve posted about a year ago. So far there’s been only the initial banner, a free promo, a mythic, and another banner. I was expecting far more presence from 3H by now. I’m not mad, as I know this is only temporary, but rather surprised. I mean, 3 Houses is pretty legit, I thought they’ve wanted a bigger promotion

Reasons I can think off so are:

1- This is the first Fire Emblem in a very long time with such a rich lore and deep story. With, save one exception, being grey and grey morality. So in order to preserve spoilers, makes sense. I mean, Heroes expects you to know all major spoilers from each game and they don’t even attempt to hide them, so maybe that’s one reason

2- Not repeat the same bullshit they did the second year with Fates, reason I’ve opened that aforementioned thread, and I’m sure many others shared the sentiment

There are two advantages to being conservative about it: it makes 2019 Q3/4 planning easier and they'll have CYL4 results to go off. Besides that, the game has a relatively small roster and they know by now that pushing a game too hard will make people sick of it.

Yeah I'm very surprised as well.

The biggest reason I can think of is that they probably figure most of the "new" Fire Emblem fans are just plain playing Three Houses at the moment, so they're using this time frame to keep the "old" fans engaged by filling out the roster with secondary characters from older games like Binding Blade and Sacred Stones. Stereotyping a bit here but I wouldn't be surprised if it's how they think.

2020 will be a Three Houses overload, I can only assume, but yeah I am also surprised by the sequence of New Heroes banners not involving Three Houses characters.

I thought a character like Dorothea would be a launch unit. 

Two reasons I can think of.

We know that it takes a while between the decision for a character to be added, and their eventual debut.  Roughly six months is often put forth as the time frame, and that seems reasonable.  Three Houses is closing in on its fourth month anniversary.  There hasn't been enough time elapsed yet to implement more than they've done so far.  Of course, they could have planned ahead and prepared to release many more characters long before the Three Houses' launch, but that's where the second reason comes in.  IS hedged their bets.  The success of Three Houses was not a forgone conclusion, and it is possible they did not want to spend so much time and money implementing characters they couldn't be sure were going to sell.  Worst case scenario the game bombed, and IS would have been stuck with a bunch of characters in their release pipeline that no one wants. 

I guarantee we will be seeing quite a bit of Three Houses content next year.

Agreed, I’m sure next year we’ll be seeing a bigger Three Houses presence, but I hope they don't overdo it. It’s becoming my favorite FE ever, but even I would have strong complains if next year is full of them

1 hour ago, Midnox said:

Agreed, I’m sure next year we’ll be seeing a bigger Three Houses presence, but I hope they don't overdo it. It’s becoming my favorite FE ever, but even I would have strong complains if next year is full of them

Eh, I'd say it deserves to have a lot of representation next year.

(a) It looks likely to be the most popular/successful FE ever (hopefully I'm not being contentious in saying that more popular FEs deserve at least a bit more representation than less popular ones, that's simple business sense).

(b) It needs to "catch up" to other games. Put it this way, the game could get 30 units in FEH next year, and it would still have fewer units than Mystery, Blazing Blade, Tellius (if combined), Awakening, or Fates.

Obviously mixing in other games is good, but it would feel perfectly reasonable to me if FE3H had like, one banner out of every three, for the next while.

59 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Eh, I'd say it deserves to have a lot of representation next year.

(a) It looks likely to be the most popular/successful FE ever (hopefully I'm not being contentious in saying that more popular FEs deserve at least a bit more representation than less popular ones, that's simple business sense).

(b) It needs to "catch up" to other games. Put it this way, the game could get 30 units in FEH next year, and it would still have fewer units than Mystery, Blazing Blade, Tellius (if combined), Awakening, or Fates.

Obviously mixing in other games is good, but it would feel perfectly reasonable to me if FE3H had like, one banner out of every three, for the next while.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. 3 “Hice” (James Rolfe joke) deserves the spotlight next year, but not to the point of taking over either. Same can be applied with seasonals. I wouldn’t mind a Three Houses character each seasonal, if they continue the trend of those banners being more varied. Seriously, we got one seasonal with characters from three different games this year. Don’t remember which tho

Yeah, I was hoping for one more TH banner myself, for Sylvain. I really want him! I don't doubt that he'll get in at some point given his popularity, though. He looks to be one of the most popular guys!

I would also hope that next year doesn't overdo it with TH though, I wouldn't want to start getting tired of it.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm positive we'll get much more Three Houses next year, and I'd be willing to bet they already have some ideas for which characters to bring next. I'm fine with a lot of TH next year so long as it's actually NEW characters and not a few new characters and then some alts of them.

I think it's good that they're not pumping out too much Three Houses too fast. Consider that prior to TH, the developers have shown that they didn't give a shit about spoilers. Things like the Black Knight's identity, the first generation being dead, Alm being Rudolf's son, Yune and Micaiah, Soren being a Branded ... things that were big spoilers or at least out of the way in their original games are just casually thrown out as needed.

Three Houses is a new game many people are still playing with lots of secrets and spoilers about characters. And since this is an entirely new game, not just a remake or a game that was Japan-only but around for a long time, you don't want to spoil things. But leaving out spoilers COMPLETELY sometimes makes the characters super bland. I think it was a mistake to release Sothis so early as a mythic hero because of the no-spoilers thing for TH characters.

People should have time to finish TH the game first and learn some of these spoilers, and then Heroes can release these characters with a few minor spoilers thrown in so that the characters are less bland.

Edited by Sunwoo

Even for someone like me who would like to see more characters from Three Houses, it is definitely good a thing not to bring inflationary many banners from this game out in a short time period not to put players under psychological pressure. I am glad that I have the opportunity to recover orbs by the latest banners. 

I kinda stalled out and lost interest in 3H around chapter 20. I know that's right before the end, pretty much, and I will get around to finishing it, but it's been like 3 weeks since I even bothered booting up the game. As a result, while I like most of the characters just fine, it's now kind of in a position where I don't particularly want them added to the game more than I would any other unit, really. I didn't manage to summon any 3H units other than Byleth, but looking at them, I can honestly say I don't particularly want any of the ones already in FEH.

That said, it's a nice perk for them to be delayed until we're in this 4th generation of BST I suppose. 😛

7 hours ago, Faellin said:

My guess is they are waiting to see who places high in CYL polls and such before going all in. So they know who the real money makers will end up being.

I'm pretty sure they already have an idea given the various popularity polls that have come out since TH's release, not to mention the Famitsu polls that they've actually referenced in the past.

Edited by Sentinel07

ah yes, you guys just reminded me how cyl4 will be flooded with 3H characters

dimitri, edelgard and claude will surely be top 2, leaving only a spot for one girl (probably anna or fcorrin), and at least 50% of both genders' top 20s will only be 3H characters (maybe except for thórr due to breasts factor)

anyway, yes, i think they're saving 3H characters for next year, it would make the most sense

also i hope i don't get sick of 3H for that

Edited by Yexin

17 hours ago, Midnox said:

1- This is the first Fire Emblem in a very long time with such a rich lore and deep story. With, save one exception, being grey and grey morality. So in order to preserve spoilers, makes sense. I mean, Heroes expects you to know all major spoilers from each game and they don’t even attempt to hide them, so maybe that’s one reason

Frankly, this is the reason why I'm happy to not see so many 3H units so far. I've only just gotten the game and haven't started it yet, just give me some time.

Although I believe the dam will smash in half with Book IV.

They're likely gauging character popularity~ Wanna be adding the more popular characters first, most likely, so it makes sense they're not shoving them all in at once so they can have the best chance at an overall successful lineup~

Next year will be full of 3H Banners so no real reason to fret about it~

22 hours ago, Yexin said:

ah yes, you guys just reminded me how cyl4 will be flooded with 3H characters

dimitri, edelgard and claude will surely be top 2, leaving only a spot for one girl (probably anna or fcorrin), and at least 50% of both genders' top 20s will only be 3H characters (maybe except for thórr due to breasts factor)

Yeah... This will be interesting... 3H getting all the CYL spots would be something! And honestly, I don't doubt.

My only doubt is about the male side and the order: Dimitri in 1st and Claude in 2nd, or Claude in 1st and Dimitri in 2nd...? I leading to Dimitri in 1st, but I am sure Joe Zieja will campaign for Claude with memes and stuff.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

...I am sure Joe Zieja will campaign for Claude with memes and stuff.

This is a given.

I'm all right with them spacing the rollout of Three Houses characters myself.