Thracia 776 first time

UFVKNP

With the advent of the updated translation patch, I'll be making my first run of Thracia 776 soon (I'm coming up on the end of another playthrough of FE4 and I'm gonna start FE5 after that's done), as the title says. Are there any traps I need to look out for, any characters I should use or avoid, stuff like that? I hear FE5 is one of the tougher games in the series and I'd just like a couple basic pointers.

And, most importantly... should I play with Elite Mode on, or not?

Thanks in advance.

People claim that Thracia is a lot harder than it actually is, and to a new player it can be very confusing but it probably the most fun you'll have once you get into the swing of it. While there are a few Kaga-traps along the way, most of the games events are laid out plain for you through pre-chapter dialogue, or in battle conversations. For units, almost everybody can become good thanks to the crusader scrolls, the only units who are actually irredeemable for combat are the Jeigan, theif no.2 and Bargain. Yes certain characters are outright better than others, but nobody is ever completely obsolete (except the Jeigan) as you might have to train a few teams due to stamina limitations. Capturing, while useful, is not something to go overboard on, most enemies have trash weapons, but you should grab a couple of their things if you can, as buying new weapons is very expensive. Don't be afraid to use the prf weapons, they all have good durability and you get the hammerne staff fairly early in the game. 

I'd recommend against playing Elite mode first time, unless you want to get a better feel for the combat or units, as you can only play the game for the first time once, and some of the frustration is part of Thracia's charm. 

Good luck and have fun with Thracia. 

I agree that it's difficulty is overated for a blind-play for someone with other FE experience - there are actually a lot of great Enemy-phase super-units in this game - and if it's TRULY a blind playthrough you should fail the requirements and therefore never see, the harder Gaiden maps - I feel like when it comes to the non-gaiden maps there is only 2 that are really problematic, and you can make them comfortable by - ignoring the level up growth" part of scrolls for that level and splitting them up to make multiple units immune to crits, and if really necessary, intentionally triggering their "capture AI" and then fighting them while their stats are halved.

Edited by Reality

Haven't beaten it yet but the three things I regret so far (I'm at chapter 15) is that I gave the Paragon skill to Asbel instead of Nanna, I didn't purchase a lot of Hand Axes at Chapter 5 (strangely the ONLY place you can purchase them, I recommend you get a lot of them) and I didn't purchase a lot of Javelins at a certain chapter where I could purchase them, I think you should get a lot of those too. Also I have to disagree with Pengaius, you can rake EXP with the Arena for Finn, and Finn can become extremely powerful if you give him lot's of scrolls, also he is the only one who can use the Brave Lance, and I'm pretty sure a lot of sites consistently say his Lance is useful for capture, they're right.

Edited by Fates-Blade

4 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

Also I have to disagree with Pengaius, you can rake EXP with the Arena for Finn, and Finn can become extremely powerful if you give him lot's of scrolls,

• First of all Finn isn't the Jeigan, Eyvel is considered to be Thracia's Jagen. 
  • Second, the only way to reliably arena train a character is to abuse savestates, which straight up kills most of the strategic elements to the game and gives the player way more gold than they need. 
  • Third, ANY UNIT CAN BECOME POWERFUL IF YOU GIVE THEM ENOUGH SCROLLS (except the 3 I mentioned earlier)

Also as a note on what Reality said about capture AI, the enemy will always capture a unit if they can, to abuse this put an unarmed character near the enemy (Lara is good for this as she has low enough con that most enemies can capture her) and they will capture that unit without combat and attempt to leave the map. Also, the enemy will trade all of the units items off of them if they have any. 

Another AI behaviour that you can exploit is enemy Trade/Shop AI, which causes enemies who lose their weapons, to trade an  extra weapon (if they can wield it) off of another enemy (this can be used to trick enemies into taking weapons off of bosses, to make them easier or used to get an uncapturable units gear, if you can capture the first enemy) or if no item can be traded to them, they will go to a shop and buy a weapon, with their unlimited gold (this can be exploited by stealing an enemies weapon, and then stealing everything they buy from the shop, as they only buy 1 weapon at a time). But this makes the game significantly easier, so maybe save it for a second play through. 

I would suggest keeping a handful of door keys around as they are needed for several chapters. If you do that and swap between saves every chapter you should be able to avoid softlocking anywhere. Otherwise just keep the typical Fire Emblem related things in mind and you should be fine.

Staves are god. If a unit can use staves then they are objectively superior. Warp and rescue staves can be found in plenty by capturing enemy bishops. Don't hesitate to use them. If it costs one warp to capture an enemy with a 3 warp stave then you're netter a profit of +2 (and probably a really useful physic too). Status effects also don't fade over time, so Restore is also super useful, though as far as I recall it's slightly rare, so be careful about it's uses. It's the only game in the series where poison has some semblance of a threat, but it's best to save restores for Sleep and, especially berserk, as it basically means death for a unit.

If the enemy captures a unit it's not gone forever. You can kill that enemy to release the unit (though you probably want to capture as the enemy will probably steal your unit's weapons). Once an enemy has a unit, they'll typically try to escape the map. If they do, all hope is not lost. The enemy is not dead. A Gaiden near the end of the game sends you to a prison camp to rescue previously captured units (you'll probably want to let the enemy capture at least one unit so you can unlock this Gaiden anyway).

Per status effects lasting forever, sleep and berserk are also godly in the player's hands. Blizzard is a long range tome that inflicts sleep. You definitely want as many of them as you can get. Warp in to capture before the enemy wastes its durability. Try to keep at least one sleep inflicting method on you at the start of every map, as there is one unit that you have to put to sleep and capture to recruit (because they're mounted and you can't capture mounts, but sleeping units automatically dismount).

Magic and Res are the same stat. This makes Holy Water significantly more useful as it can raise a mage's attack power.

Edited by Jotari

Every character has a hidden stat usually called PCC. What it does is, it multiplies the chance of a critical hit when doubling. For a lot of units, it's pretty easy to reach 100% critical hit rate that way.
Archiving criticals reliably is pretty important since terrain in this game gives very huge defense boosts. Like, a Gate or Throne will give +10 defense. Since critical hits double attack power like in FE4 rather then merely tripling damage, this allows your nits to tear through enemies they otherwise wouldn't even be able to scratch.

There are also support boosts, and they are all baked into anyone from the start. They all give an equal amount to hit, avoid, critical hit and critical evade. Almost always that bonus is +10. So they are pretty straight forward in that regard.
Unfortunately they are also hidden, but can at least be deduced based on the effects on your avoid and hit.
Also, supports aren't necessarily mutual. Leaf for example supports Finn but Finn doesn't support him back.

Weapon weight is counteracted by a unit's constitution stat. Unless it's magic. The weight of a tome will be subtracted straight from a unit's speed stat, no matter it's Con.
Also Constitution is a growth stat. So is movement, though no one has a movement growth higher then 5%.

Thieves can in theory take everything out of a unit's inventory, regardless of whether it's an item or weapon or even if it's equipped or not.
In order to be able to steal from a unit, the thief needs to be of the same speed or higher then the target. But they also need to have the same or more Constitution then the targeted item has weight.

Crusader Scrolls not only modify your growths but also completely negate critical hits.

All staffs can miss. Even basic healing staffs. The accuracy of all staffs is supposedly 60% + 4% for every point of skill from the staff user. So once a staff user has 10 skill, you should be fine.

Status staffs are dreadful. Not only do statuses last until the end of the map, they also have infinite range and they are practically guaranteed to hit since they follow the same accuracy formula then all the other staffs. The only limitation is that you can't target someone who has higher magic then you. This includes the dreaded Berserk status.
Status staffs practically don't exist in the first half of the game. But in the final stretch of the game, you can expect several of them to be deployed on every map. Restore staffs are limited. So by that time, you want to have a fair amount of staff users ready who can shut down those enemy casters with their own status staffs. It's a huge reason why a high staff rank is so valued in this game.

On the bright side, the Berserk status is somewhat nerfed in this game. A berserked unit basically acts like a seperate player. Meaning, you can actually wall them since they can't just walk through your units. You can even attack them. In fact, you can actually capture them, just like any enemy unit.

Speaking of capturing, probably the thing the game is most known for. You can attempt to capture any unit with less Con then you do. If a unit has no weapon equipped, they will get captured immediately without any fight. So watch out for your staff users.
If the target has a weapon, you will have to fight them. During this fight, most of your stats are halved, with the exception of Luck, Con and HP. If you defeated an enemy in this state, you essentially "rescue" them, leaving you free to take anything you want from their inventory. If you drop them, they simply disappear from the map.
As alluded to earlier, enemies can capture your units too. They follow mostly the same rules. The difference is that they will loot their target instantly upon capture, which player units can't to since attacking uses up their turn. Also, they will try to leave the map with their captive. If they are successful, that unit is practically gone.

The game never just gives you money. Any cash you have is from stuff you sell. So capturing is absolutely vital. There is also the arena, but I think the Thracia arena might be even more unpredictable then in other games.

Edited by BrightBow

18 hours ago, UFVKNP said:

With the advent of the updated translation patch, I'll be making my first run of Thracia 776 soon (I'm coming up on the end of another playthrough of FE4 and I'm gonna start FE5 after that's done), as the title says. Are there any traps I need to look out for, any characters I should use or avoid, stuff like that? I hear FE5 is one of the tougher games in the series and I'd just like a couple basic pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Elite mode is good for a first time, but it really depends on how confident you are about your skill to play the game.

Anyhow advice: 

1. Don't be afraid to use the Bandit Warrior Jagen character, just don't let him get too many boss kills, but even late in the game, he can always easily take out the small fry.
  2. Do not save up Lances, basically no one can use them indoors and after a certain point, its all indoors. This is especially true of personal lances.
  3. Thieves are really good, but you need to build up their build.
  4. There are scrolls in the game that significantly raise your stat growths, remember to use them, especially for build and people like Dagdar.
  5. There are some events that are easy to miss without a guide.
  6. A Bandit, Bow Fighters in general, a sham sword master, a magic princess, female Wyvern Rider as well as a squad of Lance Knights are hard to use/not recommended as long term units, but they can be useful for specific tasks, especially when they are auto deployed.
  7. One character has to be put to sleep and then captured when they are dismounted to be recruited.
  8. A powerful unit encountered 3/4 of the way through the game is a very difficult recruit, make sure to use the most modern guide. The best way to recruit this unit involves the use of a sleep sword to put his soldiers to sleep.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Bow Fighters in general

Ehh, the movement starred bow fighter has a pretty good magic growth, so they make for a decent counter to mages, and chip damage is nice to have around, the other bow fighter ain't great, but still scrolls can make most units viable if used right. 

Some mechanics Brightbow forgot to mention are the stars, they are;

• Movement Stars every time a unit makes an action they have a chance to move again of (5 x number of leadership stars)% 
  • Leadership Stars for every leadership star a unit has they grant their allies an extra 3 hit and avoid

Wow, this blew up while I was gone. I did already know some of this, actually - this playthrough isn't completely blind, but I've never actually seen any gameplay footage. I just know some of the characters and mechanics.

What I didn't know was how important staves apparently are in this game. I heard this is one of the best games for warp abuse, but all this is very interesting. This information is super helpful.

2 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Ehh, the movement starred bow fighter has a pretty good magic growth, so they make for a decent counter to mages, and chip damage is nice to have around, the other bow fighter ain't great, but still scrolls can make most units viable if used right. 

From my experience there are much better then Mage killers, but they are perfectly usable.

Most people seem to prefer the General and Bow Knight leader over the Bow Fighters.

1 hour ago, UFVKNP said:

Wow, this blew up while I was gone. I did already know some of this, actually - this playthrough isn't completely blind, but I've never actually seen any gameplay footage. I just know some of the characters and mechanics.

What I didn't know was how important staves apparently are in this game. I heard this is one of the best games for warp abuse, but all this is very interesting. This information is super helpful.

There's also a staff that lets the user warp.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:51 AM, UFVKNP said:

Thanks in advance.

Thracia is full of traps, some of them are nasty ones. This game is not forgiving if you are going in blindly, so I'd suggest to at least check some stuff online before you try to conquer it, otherwise you might find yourself resetting your run. Here's my compilation of advices: