Tournament Rulesets

Superbus

A lot has changed since I was last a regular member of the Fire Emblem fandom. A LOT. In the time that's passed, I went from being simply "the old guy" to an actual old guy. As such, I'm now involved in a lot of charities in my hometown, where over a thousand people simultaneously went insane on November 5th and elected me as a legislator.

Our usual charities are typical fare; breakfasts, 50/50, etc. I'd like to change that to bring in younger people and get some attention. But I'm not really updated on how the gaming community works now - I play games at home and that's about it - so my ideas need to be fleshed out.

One major idea I had was a Smash tournament, because it's virtually ubiquitous, would bring in people from surrounding towns, and the Switch travels well. So that's why I come here for ideas:

- What is understood to be a good Smash ruleset for low-level tournaments?

- What would go into getting so many people together and playing simultaneously?

- Would it be beneficial to have multiple brackets (I.E.: 1v1, free for all, etc.)?

I know a lot about video games, but the last time I actually played in and won a tournament was a Madden tournament on my old ship in 2002; that's legitimately older than some of the members here. So I need some people to explain how today's tournaments work, and I thank you all in advance.