How badly did Dexit affect you?

Fabulously Olivier

This is a literal non-issue.

I probably have some guys I like who didn't make the cut, because I like shitters like Oricorio or Floatzel. But I have copies of those in the games I caught them in. With a new game I can capture new guys instead.

Edited by Parrhesia

9 hours ago, Mukmuk said:

I'm boycotting Pokemon for my own, personal reasons. I won't buy because I don't like it. I don't see how that's unreasonable. Don't think I'm delusional enough to think boycotting a major game series such as Pokemon would make any difference. 

(*you can just speed up the text speed to max) 

What would be some designs you consider bad? I'm curious. I mean, of course there are poor designs, but I wouldn't consider it a large number at all. Also, Gen 4 had its fair share of good designs as well. 

Well, I hate monkeys, so that eliminates the Chimchar line and Ambipom. This was the first time I've disliked a starter; unfortunately, it wouldn't be the last.

The fossil pokemon were the worst set yet.

Don't like Combee/Vespiqueen, Cherrubi/Cherrim, Glameow/Purugly, Bronzor/Bronzong, Mime Jr., Spiritomb, Snover/Abomasnow, or Carnivine.

I also don't like how my Sneasel got a less cool evolution.

Oh and Bidoof is Bidoof.

It still had some genuinely great Pokemon, and still looks absolutely magnificent compared to current year, but the number of bad Pokemon designs was particularly large (in my opinion) compared to gens 1-3. So I kind of place it as where the creative decay set in.

Edited by Etheus

In my case, I'm honestly not sure who my favorites even are. I recall at some point my Eevee evolutions preference shifted from Jolteon, to Espeon, to Vaporeon, and I'm definitely Lugia over Ho-Oh personal aesthetically speaking. But, favorites of them all? I'm some combination of indecisive, inconsistent, and indifferent.

Nonetheless, I wholly disapprove of Dexit. For I am sympathetic to the losses in pixels of others (just to keep this in context of the greater reality we live in), and I do appreciate Pokemon in the mass. It's more an idea than anything, since the only true feeling of Pokemon in the mass comes from having a poster listing a few hundred on display, yet Dexit does cut into it.

Dexit wouldn't be a problem if GF said they'd patch in transferability for the missing Pokemon later (batches every couple months sounds okay, they could even add temporary ingame catching events to celebrate their return). But, they put their foot down and said no, that not happening, every game henceforth is an island with strict boundaries of who is in and who is out, and the same for some moves but could they please give Razor Wind a massive upgrade while it's gone?.

I lost a really good chunk of stuff I like, but I don't really mind? I miss Scolipede a little since I would've liked to use it competitively this gen, but otherwise, I'm fine with not being able to use a lot of my favorites. Honestly being a Zorua fan already kinda tempered me for this lmao.

Venipede family, Seawaddle family, Pidgey family, Tangela family, Ekans family, Mienfoo family, Bunneary family, Shuppet family, and the Zorua family, Zorua being my all time favorite (I'm probably forgetting some others.) are what didn't make it. But like... I kinda like every Pokemon as is, and I do especially love Appletun and Falinks among the group of new things (they've definitely topped my previous favorites for their types, although maybe only tied for Grass) so even though a lot didn't make it in, a lot I like DID make it in. The Rhyhorn family, Ralts family, Bergmite family, Barboach family,  Klink line... oh man and I'm really enjoying having a usable Elgyem line... the Pumpkaboo family too.

As for like, the concept of "Dexit" itself... did people really think Pokemon was gonna be able to support 1000+ Pokemon growing by like, 100 every generation..? Even if they WEREN'T pressed for time, it's getting a little crazy to manage for balancing, animations, other content... And with a smaller amount, more work can put put other places, meaning the actual general quality of the games will (hopefully) increase. This time being an exception as GF's both getting used to working on Switch hardware and managing itself awfully (this is the part I'm personally fed up about, if they don't change how their function from here forward I'm absolutely having major issues with the company and likely won't buy their next release if it is so).

I understand people being miffed about not being able to use their favorites, that's totally fine, but saying the "Dexit" as whole is just a horrible concept... like, no. No, it's an extremely good idea because it lets them manage their time better and not have to test whether 1000+ models can use one move, every time they add a new move, or giving all 1000+ new animations for whatever new mode they want to add. If people want Pokemon to evolve, they've gotta let this happen. Frankly. And I get it doesn't show yet, I totally feel you (I mean, it does when you look at the tiny improvements in general QoL and animation additions they made but no one cares about THOSE apparently) but seriously, give it 1 more game. If they don't improve by the next game, I mean, I'm gonna end up being on the other side of this whole "Pokemon's going in the shitter debacle, because at that point it'd 100% show a lack of care from the higher-ups for just yearly pumping out games, and not at all listening to the people and just listening to sales. Given the game sold well on week 1... well, I'm a bit scared for the future.

Edited by Emerson

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and I'm definitely Lugia over Ho-Oh personal aesthetically speaking.

Eww. Lugia is a bird with fingers. Actual thumbs in some official artwork. Lugia looks like he's going to use those to strangle me under the water. What a freako.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Emerson said:

I lost a really good chunk of stuff I like, but I don't really mind? I miss Scolipede a little since I would've liked to use it competitively this gen, but otherwise, I'm fine with not being able to use a lot of my favorites. Honestly being a Zorua fan already kinda tempered me for this lmao.

Venipede family, Seawaddle family, Pidgey family, Tangela family, Ekans family, Mienfoo family, Bunneary family, Shuppet family, and the Zorua family, Zorua being my all time favorite (I'm probably forgetting some others.) are what didn't make it. But like... I kinda like every Pokemon as is, and I do especially love Appletun and Falinks among the group of new things (they've definitely topped my previous favorites for their types, although maybe only tied for Grass) so even though a lot didn't make it in, a lot I like DID make it in. The Rhyhorn family, Ralts family, Bergmite family, Barboach family,  Klink line... oh man and I'm really enjoying having a usable Elgyem line... the Pumpkaboo family too.

As for like, the concept of "Dexit" itself... did people really think Pokemon was gonna be able to support 1000+ Pokemon growing by like, 100 every generation..? Even if they WEREN'T pressed for time, it's getting a little crazy to manage for balancing, animations, other content... And with a smaller amount, more work can put put other places, meaning the actual general quality of the games will (hopefully) increase. This time being an exception as GF's both getting used to working on Switch hardware and managing itself awfully (this is the part I'm personally fed up about, if they don't change how their function from here forward I'm absolutely having major issues with the company and likely won't buy their next release if it is so).

I understand people being miffed about not being able to use their favorites, that's totally fine, but saying the "Dexit" as whole is just a horrible concept... like, no. No, it's an extremely good idea because it lets them manage their time better and not have to test whether 1000+ models can use one move, every time they add a new move, or giving all 1000+ new animations for whatever new mode they want to add. If people want Pokemon to evolve, they've gotta let this happen. Frankly. And I get it doesn't show yet, I totally feel you (I mean, it does when you look at the tiny improvements in general QoL and animation additions they made but no one cares about THOSE apparently) but seriously, give it 1 more game. If they don't improve by the next game, I mean, I'm gonna end up being on the other side of this whole "Pokemon's going in the shitter debacle, because at that point it'd 100% show a lack of care from the higher-ups for just yearly pumping out games, and not at all listening to the people and just listening to sales. Given the game sold well on week 1... well, I'm a bit scared for the future.

They only need to redo everything every console generation they don't need to redesign everything for every game. And they don't need to have everything aviable on day 1 as long as it become aviable at some point. I am even ok whit limiting the access of certain mechanics(like the contests or whatever gimmick they will come up whit in the future) to regional pokemon. It beat not having those at all because they can't be bothered whit doing the models.

Also, we are speaking about the most profitable franchise in the planet. If a small company like atlus can redesign a few hundred demons every few years nintendo can surely do that whit twice as much pokemons. If Square Enix can have a bestiary of 650+ monster whit animations more complex than Sword and Shield in a game that is not even about collecting them(and while having trees that does not look like N64 rejects), then i don't see why we have to be so lenient. All of their limit of time and budgets are self imposed because they can have a pharaonic production and still make tons of money. 

GF chose to be small. But if this choice means that their games end up whit less and less contents(and dexit is only the tip of the iceberg, they have cut a lot of stuff), then they open themselves to criticism. Or if they want to remain small they can take more time. Maybe we can get a non rushed arc of pokespe if they do that lol. 

I won't give a 92 bilions franchise the excuses that i can give to a small indie company.

6 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

This is a literal non-issue.

I probably have some guys I like who didn't make the cut, because I like shitters like Oricorio or Floatzel. But I have copies of those in the games I caught them in. With a new game I can capture new guys instead.

It's great that you are having fun, and I would never rob you of that, but it's literally not a non issue. It's very clearly a major point of contention for a lot of people. And why wouldn't it be?

We are talking about the largest entertainment franchise in the world halving its content and charging substantially more for the unfinished product.

4 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

They only need to redo everything every console generation they don't need to redesign everything for every game. And they don't need to have everything aviable on day 1 as long as it become aviable at some point. I am even ok whit limiting the access of certain mechanics(like the contests or whatever gimmick they will come up whit in the future) to regional pokemon. It beat not having those at all because they can't be bothered whit doing the models.

Also, we are speaking about the most profitable franchise in the planet. If a small company like atlus can redesign a few hundred demons every few years nintendo can surely do that whit twice as much pokemons. If Square Enix can have a bestiary of 650+ monster whit animations more complex than Sword and Shield in a game that is not even about collecting them(and while having trees that does not look like N64 rejects), then i don't see why we have to be so lenient. All of their limit of time and budgets are self imposed because they can have a pharaonic production and still make tons of money. 

GF chose to be small. But if this choice means that their games end up whit less and less contents(and dexit is only the tip of the iceberg, they have cut a lot of stuff), then they open themselves to criticism. Or if they want to remain small they can take more time. Maybe we can get a non rushed arc of pokespe if they do that lol. 

I won't give a 92 bilions franchise the excuses that i can give to a small indie company.

Gamefreak is consistently outdone by other developers with a fraction of their resources. I think that comparisons to Bethesda and Koei Tecmo are completely justified.

Looking through the list of unavailable pokemon...

• Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill: Although Mega-evolution isn't a thing now, I still kinda like the bee anyway. Slight shame.
  • Misdreavus/Mismagius
  • Shuppet/Banette
  • Absol
  • Lake trio
  • Sewaddle/Swadloon/Leavanny
  • Petilil/Lilligant
  • Fomantis/Lurantis: Why did they bring Solar Blade back, but not the pokemon it used to be exclusive to...?

Overall there's pokemon I'm sad aren't in Sword and Shield, but I have way more favorites than those listed above, and so many of them made it in.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

And Ho Oh is a giant chicken. Someone call Colonel Sanders, because he's got an escapee.

He's very clearly a phoenix, or at the very least he doesn't resemble something so domesticated as the chicken. My only issue with Ho-Oh is that he feels a tad redundant coming off the last Fire Bird, Moltres who could also pass as a phoenix analogue, but at least in Ho-Oh's case they bothered to create appropriate lore to help distinguish him.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Eww. Lugia is a bird with fingers. Actual thumbs in some official artwork. Lugia looks like he's going to use those to strangle me under the water. What a freako.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

And Ho Oh is a giant chicken. Someone call Colonel Sanders, because he's got an escapee.

They have different appeals to me. Lugia aims to be "cool", but Ho-Oh has a stronger backstory that makes austere and "revered". Lugia Cool just outweighs the formal reverence I give to Ho-Oh.

This is odd, since other Generational Mascot Legendaries aim for the same kind of appeal to me. It might stem from Lugia's underling trio being in Kanto, and therefore it's harder to construct a mythos for the master of Aeroblast in Johto.

---

On the size and time matter, a lot of the flak I've heard has gone to the technical faults with the world. Monolith has 224 employees compared to Game Freak's 143. Both companies get outside help sometimes, both companies have side work- Monolith helped on Breath of the Wild, Game Freak made Little Town Hero during SwSh's production.

With only 81 more in-house employees (IDK on outsiders), working over 4 years, they produced a Switch title with an excellent world. Not the same monster variety, but thats something Game Freak uniquely needs a dedicated group for. Although, Monolith had only 40 employees working on XC2 at one point b/c BotW was taking up their time. On the other hand, Monolith did have their Xenoblade Chronicles X, released three months before XC2 development began, to provide a quality HD base for their world- yet as the aesthetics greatly differ between the games, XC2 couldn't just copypaste from XCX.

And because @Flere210 brought up Dragon Quest earlier, I assume they meant DQXI, that had a 5 year development cycle. It was developed for three systems, with a 16-bit graphics mode for the entire game to boot.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Personally i am perfectly ok with a five years cycle for pokemon too assuming that we get minor project such as the third version and spin-offs in the meantime. It's more or less what we got whit other major franchises.

Agreed. The term used is a generation, it doesn't have to mean a 30 year thing like human generations are for demographics and whatnot. But it shouldn't be a generation of yeast either.

The 3rd game idea could afford to go away as well. It made some sense in the era before games could be updated with new information over WiFi. But now? Why not just add plentiful DLC? An issue I see is Pokemon having a single save file every game, but NG+ could fix that, if on NG+ you could always access your old Pokemon and use them regardless of level, with Pokedex data and any online data also carrying over. -But who am I kidding?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I tried restarting and doing a new playthrough since this game failed to provide me with my pokemon fill.

I didn't even have enough pokemon left that I liked to form my core 6 party team without dipping into repeats from the previous playthrough.

I kept going "I'll use Buizel" but it wasn't there, so then i followed up with Murkrow, followed by Houndoom, followed by Tyrantrum, followed by Banette, followed by Glameow, followed by Deerling, etc. I just didn't have many pokemon left that I actually liked.

Dexit was already crap but it hit me particularity hard since it cut out a lot of my favorites, or made them useless in the case of some pokemon like Charizard and Gallade who lost their much needed mega evolution, or pokemon like Alola Ninetails which exist but gotta fork some money over to home to transfer a maximum of 35 pokemon only a few of which I'm interested in.

Edit: I just realized I won't even be able to use my beloved team I have in Alola anymore with the pokemon global link shutting down soon. And here I thought I could at least keep going back to that and enjoy the online but GF is really all about fucking fans over and making sure it happens quickly.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Dexit has been relatively. There are some lines such as Abra/Murkrow/Absol/Dratini that are missing, but a good chunk of my favourites made the cut. I also did't have any problem with filling my team. 6 spots are easy to fill after all.

Thats not to say I don't think 'Dexit' is a shame, but its also something I did't notice too much.

The absolutely horrible way Hidden abilities are handled had a far greater impact on my team. I get that hidden means you have to put some work in it, but the voodo magic neccesary to spawn just one HA, let alone one you want is just a giant pain. I don't have a single one yet and not because of a lack of trying. I'd even take the dumb SOS chains over this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the new Pokemon are what the new gen should really stand on. I don't mind seeing some returning faces, though the advent of regional variants means even returning Pokemon can still feel new.

Edited by Lord_Brand