How canonically strong are these Three Houses characters? - Day 6 (Petra, Felix, Marianne, Thales)

I agree that Rhea's a 10. As for everyone else...

Ignatz: 3

Caspar: 6

Sylvain: 7

I don't have much justification for this: Ignatz is a weak fighter, Caspar packs a punch (literally) but isn't good with tactics, Sylvain has a powerful Relic but is pretty average otherwise (at least in my eyes).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhea: 9.5

Able to defeat Nemesis in her human form and prove a thorn in Edelgard's campaign until the very end. Big bad of the CF route.

Ignatz: 4.25

Commoner general of the Leicester Army in the War phase. While he is adept at both bows and magic he holds little value narratively. Minor boss in Gronder Field.

Caspar: 7.75

Wishes to make his own path. Praised by Edelgard for being better and more deserving of his father's title then his brother. Minor boss in Fort Merceus.

Sylvain: 7.5

Dimitri's trusted friend and comrade. Hides a cunning underneath. Boss in Field of Revenge.

Seteh: 7.75

Saint Cichol, when of the four saints who battled along Seiros to defeat Nemesis. Grew weaker with age. Semiboss on Outset Of A Power Struggle.

Edelgard: 9.25

Able to fight Rhea un relatively even footing. Holds the power of two crests. Boss in Conclusion of the Crossing Roads.

Claude: 8.5

Leader of the Leicester Alliance in the War Phase. Called by many the Master Tactician. Boss in The Master Tactician.

Dimitri: 9.25

Able to take on Edelgard on even footing. Strong enough to break weapons without even trying. Boss in Field of Revenge.

Hilda: 8.5

Claude's closest ally and protector of him on two maps. Last line of defense for Clause. Semiboss in The Master Tactician.

Ferdinand: 8.5

Consider himself Edelgard's rival. Praised by Edelgard herself. Boss in The Rose-Colored River.

Ashe: 6.75

Adopted son of Lonato Gaspard. One of the last lines of defense in Fhiriad. Mini boss in The End of a Dream.

Hanneman: 6.5

Teacher at Garreg Mach. Former noble of the empire. Miniboss in Arianrhod.

Edited by Deathcon
Adding stuff

I'd like to think that Sylvain's particularly strong due to his crest + relic. I don't think all relics were created equal since Ingrid's Luin plays little factor into her story, while Sylvain's Lance of Ruin is the linch pin of the north's defense. He's probably as strong as Dimitri.

Never mind the fact that he's the only unit who can tear someone a new hole with a relic combat art during the Grondor Field "mock" battle.

17 hours ago, msterforks said:

I'd like to think that Sylvain's particularly strong due to his crest + relic. I don't think all relics were created equal since Ingrid's Luin plays little factor into her story, while Sylvain's Lance of Ruin is the linch pin of the north's defense. He's probably as strong as Dimitri.

Never mind the fact that he's the only unit who can tear someone a new hole with a relic combat art during the Grondor Field "mock" battle.

Wait, does he have Lance of Ruin as an enemy? I don't recall seeing that. If you mean as a PC, then Ingrid can do it too.

Anyway Sylvain doesn't get any of the personal strength hype that Dimitri gets. Maybe if he put as much effort into training as Dimitri he'd be equal, but even then I doubt it. Still decently strong of course.

27 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Wait, does he have Lance of Ruin as an enemy? I don't recall seeing that. If you mean as a PC, then Ingrid can do it too.

Anyway Sylvain doesn't get any of the personal strength hype that Dimitri gets. Maybe if he put as much effort into training as Dimitri he'd be equal, but even then I doubt it. Still decently strong of course.

I remembering him having it as a weapon in GD Ch 17.

5 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I remembering him having it as a weapon in GD Ch 17.

The previous poster said "mock" battle so I assumed it was Chapter 7. Nothing mock about 17. And in general, every PC has their relic when faced as a boss post-timeskip (except Lorenz not having Thyrsus because he's a paladin).

46 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I always thought Ingrid's paralogue starts on ch8. I'll have to do that during ch7, because early Luin would be nice for Grondor. Unsure if he gets LoR as an enemy. I always recruit him because LoR is too good to pass up.

Pre ts Sylvain is pretty lazy, but post ts and post game Sylvain looks like he has his priorities straightened out.

23 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The previous poster said "mock" battle so I assumed it was Chapter 7. Nothing mock about 17. And in general, every PC has their relic when faced as a boss post-timeskip (except Lorenz not having Thyrsus because he's a paladin).

Ok, yeah, that is not something Sylvain has in Ch 7 as an enemy. Only your team gets to bring Relics.

Spoiler

Possible more Byleth bias on Rhea’s part?

2 hours ago, msterforks said:

I always thought Ingrid's paralogue starts on ch8. I'll have to do that during ch7, because early Luin would be nice for Grondor. Unsure if he gets LoR as an enemy. I always recruit him because LoR is too good to pass up.

Pre ts Sylvain is pretty lazy, but post ts and post game Sylvain looks like he has his priorities straightened out.

Currently in Month 10 AKA Chapter 7 (pre-Gronder-Field), Blue Lions, and have access to the Ingrid/Dorothea, Sylvain, and Alois/Shamir paralogues. Did Dedue's last month. Don't have Dorothea recruited, so it's not like that's a factor in accessibility.

Do we need the poster of the thread to post the new characters? I personally think Dedue, Hubert, Lorenz, and Jeralt should be next. Partly because I want to see everyone's opinions on how canonically strong these characters are. My guesses right now is that Dedue is 8.75, Hubert is 8.5, Lorenz is 8.0, and Jeralt is 8.25. Might change when we actually get to them though.

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Do we need the poster of the thread to post the new characters? I personally think Dedue, Hubert, Lorenz, and Jeralt should be next. Partly because I want to see everyone's opinions on how canonically strong these characters are. My guesses right now is that Dedue is 8.75, Hubert is 8.5, Lorenz is 8.0, and Jeralt is 8.25. Might change when we actually get to them though.

Jeratl's an interesting case of a character who has a lot of referenced strength in canon, but unlike a lot of characters of his archtypes, in terms of in game stats he's really underwhelming. There isn't even a weapon for him to hypothetically use even though he has a major crest since the Seiros weapons are a sword and an axe (of course he could wield a sword or an axe if he wanted to, but he clearly focuses on lances).

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Deathcon said:

Ask and you'll receive! I'll do those three next. 

HubertL 7,5/10

Aside from Lysithea Hubert is probably the most gifted dark mage among the students. However I also think he's a lot like Hanneman in that Hubert is not primarily a fighter. Hubert will get his hands dirty of he must and he'll be excellent at it but its a last resort. House Vestra probably solves its problems more by bribes, blackmail or slitting the problem's throat from behind. Solving problems by hitting them really hard is Bergliez's job, not Vestra's. I see Hubert far more as an adviser and strategist than a warrior. In that sense the battalion feature really fits Hubert like a glove. 

Dedue: 8/10.

Dedue is so big and....so big! I don't think Dedue is anything even remotely special but he doesn't need to be. With his size just hitting people really hard will work out fine. I really don't have much else to say about him. 

Lorenz Hellman Gloucester: 5/10 (and later 8/10)

Before the timeskip Lorenz is a bit of a joke so I think its fitting it he's not even a quarter as strong, clever and skilled as he thinks he is. That said Lorentz is much more than his bad first impression so I think he's also the one who learns the most at the academy and who betters himself the best. After the timeskip he'll be at least on the way to being as strong, clever and skilled as he think he is. He's intelligent enough for it and the Gloucester style seems to be that of a magic knight who combines magic with knightly weapons so he'll be very versatile. There's also a relic into the mix. Most players will give it to Lysithea but canonically it would go to orenz Hellman Gloucester. 

At the end of it all he becomes the head of the Alliance so he kinda has to be impressive. 

Jeralt: 9/10

Lets be generous and assume he's as strong as the plot says he is. Jeralt supposedly was the strongest captain in the history of the knights of Seiros. It would speak quite poorly of the church is their strongest general was anything lower then a 9. The Death Knight seems to be his peer at the very least so he's not unstoppable. Jeralt doesn't exactly live up to the hype but I'm willing to attribute that to gameplay and story segregation, as well as a deliberate subversion since he does in an assassination rather than in combat. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Hubert 7: Despise not having a crest or personal weapon he is a cunning opponent. Well versed in the dark arts to serve Edelgard. Considering he is a late game boss in AM and VW he's up there.

Dedue 6: Loyal to the end, but strength along won't yet him higher up. 

Lorenz 6: More of a noble than a actual fighter.

Jeralt: 7: I don't buy that this guy is the greatest of all the knights of the church beating the likes of Catherine and Jeritza. There is little concrete examples proving of his merit.  Still talented, but I consider him last his prime. 

Hubert excels at espionage, tactics, better gambits, and striking from the shadows. Unfortunately nothing I'd consider for a 1v1 fight. In this case he's an okay dark mage who falls like a twig once his opponent closes that distance. Better than the average Slithering mook, but never on the same playing field as Solon or Thales. 4 out of 10.

Dedue's devotion is without question. Even Hubert disobeys an order from Edelgard once in a while, but Dedue would kill thousands of innocents and then himself if ordered. We don't get to see or hear from that inhuman killing machine - probably since Dimitri and Dedue spend most of the time skip separated, but there's no reason to suspect Dedue has any crippling weakness, especially against physical opponents. 5.5 out of 10. He's kept in check by lack of crest and relic.

Lorenz Hellman Gloucester learned his magic at the mage academy in fhirdiad and has access to the all powerful thrysius. A mount plus extremely accurate spells matching a bow knight's range is a combination on the same tier as Claude's wyvern master. I genuinely think the game forgot to reduce spell range past 2 like they do with bow attacks but even if we nerfed him as such he'd be a real challenge to take down with his relics reduction of all attacks physical or magical. 7 out of 10. Lack of battallions (for his personal skill) and probably his tendency to underestimate his opponents keep him from challenging the top tier of non-dragon fodlan warriors. But the rightful leader of the Alliance has limitless potential.

Jeralt is probably the hardest in the game to rank. While we have to appreciate any person would be taken out by a sneak attack like he was, Jeralt can lose a 1v1 to Solon even on Normal difficulty and he's only a paladin class. He may not be aging but his body has definitely deteriorated - most likely due to his alcoholism. Alois cannot walk into any tavern anywhere in Fodlan without being shaken down for Jeralt's debt money. And the idea that Jeralt even has debts to be paid suggests his company has probably always been struggling to some degree which reflects badly on him and his own skills. What his company could use is somebody like Soren. Similar to Seteth he's got to have some of the most battle experience of any fighter, but no crest or relic. Gonna have to stick with a 6 out of 10 here. Too many people in Fodlan are a match for the legend. And Jeralt's reputation is garnered from a time of no war, so obviously there aren't many living legends at the start of the game.

Edited by Glennstavos

Hubert

Spoiler

Hubie is rather tall, which Linhardt says should help him in a fight, but he has no crest. He has a great dark magic list, suggesting a general power in dark magic, albeit not complemented by good faith magic. Though imposing, and certainly capable as a mage, I daresay he'd prefer sneaking around to a direct fight.

Dedue

Spoiler

My Dedude breaks Dimitri out of jail, and then (conditionally) manages to survive Cornelia's cadre. And on Crimson Flower, he's one of Dimitri's most trusted, fighting alongside him to the end. No crest, but may give Raphael a run for his money at being the biggest. He's no joke, and probably the student I'd be least comfortable taking on one-on-one.

Lorenz

Spoiler

Can there be any doubt? Lorenz Helman Gloucester is the hero of our age, an icon of nobility, beloved and feared in equal measure. Whether casting hellflames with Thyrsus, or skewering multiple monsters at a time on his lance, he does so with elegance. Can't wait to fight the real final boss, Hegemonster Lorenz, once Abyss Mode comes out.

Jeralt

Spoiler

He's called "the strongest knight who ever lived", he was Captain of the Knights of Seiros, and he possesses major Seiros blood... so what gives? It seems he's fallen off the horse a bit of late, even if losing combat prowess upon aging is inconsistent with established series mechanics (looking at you, FE6 Erik). Still, he made you, and you're OP.

AFAIK Jearlt is functionally immortal, so while it might be accurate to say his skills have grown rusty, I don't think we can really say his age has made him weaker.

Hubert

accomplished dark mage and noted for the greatest variety of spells used by an enemy character, accounting all appearances he uses almost every dark magic and uses every siege spell under the sun and is an accomplished tactician spy and assassin, by the wording of op minimally a 7 out of 10 likely an 8.

Dedue

8/10 the guy holds the feat for managing to infiltrate and fight his way solo to Edelgards throne room when she brought the majority of her elite forces into the palace and when conditionally the only force Byleth is bringing is a ragtag militia and the knights of Seiros. Going off that the amount of resistance he'd have to face solo would have been immense.

Lorenz

relatively fearless but canonically an accomplished mage and warrior so minimally a 6 but I'd consider most students a 6 minimally a 5 so likely closer to a 7.

Jeralt 6:/10

Alois ending has him outshine Jeralt in every way as captain. Jeralt has the fear of dying the first time he saved Rhea and getting some of that crest sippy in return. Basically he's legendary because he's got a major crest 1st gen in an era where crests are dying out and as a result just generally has an experience and power advantage over the opposition. Skilled and experienced but past his prime and mostly held up by those gifts of Rhea than anything else, can be outshone by those with a fraction of the power and experience.

Jeralt: 8.75(Peak) and 7.5(Canon)

Jeralt is the greatest captain of the Knights of Seiros, though Alois solo ending later surpasses him, but it is more in his long years of service. Although he may have been great by the time of the story he is perhaps on pier or weaker than the Death Knight.

Hubert: 5.75(School) and 8.25(War)

One of the generals of Edelgard's army and Edelgard's most trusted ally. One of the last lines of defense against the Player if opposing Edelgard.

Lorenz: 5.25(School) and 7.75(War)

Few feats to his name though he is around Slyvain/Ferdinand level. Fought in Rose-Colored River.

Dedue: 5.75(School) and 8.25 or 8.5(War)

Dimitr's sword and shield. Survived many life threatening encounters. Fought in Field of Revenge.

Edited by Deathcon
Edit

Huber: 6,75/10

His main focus isn't combat, not even magic, it's tactics, spionage, shady deals, and assassination, which doesn't necessarily translate to good fighting skills. Still, I doubt he would let himself be a liability to Edelgard. 

Dedue: 7,75/10?

As I said, I don't really know about AM, but in CF at least he didn't trust his abilities enough to not use that trick. His physique should make him great at close combat though. 

Spoiler

I guess if we count the monster form his rank would be higher.

Lorenz: 7'5/10

Not much to say, he is good with magic and a fine cavalier, he also has a crest and relic, which should make him notable at least.

Jeralt: 9/10

The best warrior in the story of the knights of seiros and it's former captain, bearer of a major crest of seiros and strong enough to be targeted by the Agarthans. While his nickname could be atributed to his times as a knight, the fact that Byleth is known enough to have one himself means that: 1) his mercenaries are well known and therefore succesful, and 2) Byleth was crazy strong even before the story, so Jeralt is probably stronger than that. His body hasn't aged and he has kept fighting, so I doubt he has grown dull.

In what ending is Alois said to surpass Jeralt though? I've seen that in some endings he becomes the captain of the knights, but that's quite different from surpassing him.

20 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

In what ending is Alois said to surpass Jeralt though? I've seen that in some endings he becomes the captain of the knights, but that's quite different from surpassing him.

In his solo, non-CF ending.

For the record, it reads

Spoiler

Once all the fighting had come to an end, Alois officially took up the position of captain of the Knights of Seiros. In this capacity, he was much beloved, and the Knights became more unified than ever under his command. It is said that their accomplishments during his tenure were beyond even what Jeralt's troop had achieved.

Which isn't necessarily the same as saying that Alois himself surpassed Jeralt, but it's certainly a sensible leap of logic.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, Glennstavos said:

Jeralt is probably the hardest in the game to rank. While we have to appreciate any person would be taken out by a sneak attack like he was, Jeralt can lose a 1v1 to Solon even on Normal difficulty and he's only a paladin class.

Gameplay performance should be taken with a grain of salt. Maps are supposed to be balanced for difficulty, so an overpowered Jeralt has to be watered down. Jeralt naturally can't beat Solon either, because green units can't kill bosses. They'll always be left on 1hp.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, aside from gameplay performance, I don't recall a moment in which Jeralt's strength has been shown to be any weaker than he was prior.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Which isn't necessarily the same as saying that Alois himself surpassed Jeralt, but it's certainly a sensible leap of logic.

I wouldn't make that leap. It's hard to say how many years of service either man did, and what exactly they accomplished. Also, Jeralt was 120+ years old. Assuming the typical human has a shorter lifespan than today's humans, only a select few would know the full extent of Jeralt's accomplishments.

Edited by msterforks

18 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In his solo, non-CF ending.

For the record, it reads

Reveal hidden contents

Once all the fighting had come to an end, Alois officially took up the position of captain of the Knights of Seiros. In this capacity, he was much beloved, and the Knights became more unified than ever under his command. It is said that their accomplishments during his tenure were beyond even what Jeralt's troop had achieved.

I see, the only solo ending of him I had seen is the CF one, so that explains it.

As for the actual quote, I read that as Alois being a better leader than Jeralt, his group aclomplishes more than Jeralt's, which is vastly different. That said, I can see where you are coming from.

14 hours ago, msterforks said:

Gameplay performance should be taken with a grain of salt. Maps are supposed to be balanced for difficulty, so an overpowered Jeralt has to be watered down. Jeralt naturally can't beat Solon either, because green units can't kill bosses. They'll always be left on 1hp.

I agree that comparing stats between units isn't useful, as they are made taking into considereation the gameplay and not the lore, but I feel like things skills, growth rates and even the stats themselves when comparing them with other stats from the same unit, can tell about a character's abilities, way of fighting and even behavior on the battlefield.

2 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

I agree that comparing stats between units isn't useful, as they are made taking into considereation the gameplay and not the lore, but I feel like things skills, growth rates and even the stats themselves when comparing them with other stats from the same unit, can tell about a character's abilities, way of fighting and even behavior on the battlefield.

Again, the game is balanced around gameplay and not around lore. If we take strength and might into consideration, the mighty protagonist with the power of a goddess and the SotC is weaker than Hilda with a Silver Axe+.