How canonically strong are these Three Houses characters? - Day 6 (Petra, Felix, Marianne, Thales)

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

and narratively we can assume her refusal to use it means she wouldn't if she needed to.

You can't choose to use your crest, Dimitri for example. Plus, she learns to accept it after her paralogue.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Deathcon said:

You can't choose to use your crest, Dimitri for example. Plus, she learns to accept it after her paralogue.

In terms of gameplay it is random, but supports have crest wielders being asked all the time by Linhardt/Hanneman to use their crest. Implying it's voluntary if they know how. There's also that weird hand hologram thing crest wielders can do to show people they have the power. I suppose that's a good point about her resolve after her paralogue. In fact I think it stops being called "mystery crest" afterward as well, revealing it's just a copy of Fraldarius.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

In terms of gameplay it is random, but supports have crest wielders being asked all the time by Linhardt/Hanneman to use their crest. Implying it's voluntary if they know how. There's also that weird hand hologram thing crest wielders can do to show people they have the power. I suppose that's a good point about her resolve after her paralogue. In fact I think it stops being called "mystery crest" afterward as well, revealing it's just a copy of Fraldarius.

Dimitri, as he is the most obvious example for my point, tells us that he breaks things easily, hates fragile thing, tells Raphael his unnaturally strength is a boon from his bloodline, and he breaks things like scissors in Mercedes' support multiplie times. It can be random even in story.

3 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Dimitri, as he is the most obvious example for my point, tells us that he breaks things easily, hates fragile thing, tells Raphael his unnaturally strength is a boon from his bloodline, and he breaks things like scissors in Mercedes' support multiplie times. It can be random even in story.

He's super strong. I don't think that so much as implies crests are randomly procced like in gameplay. Other supports affirm there's nothing random about it.

37 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

He has canonically defeated Byleth (on his own with one shot, I might add)

Mmhh....I'm not sure a canyon conveniently being there for Thales really classifies as him 'defeating'' Byleth. Its hardly a straight fight. Or hardly a fight at all. 

16 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Mmhh....I'm not sure a canyon conveniently being there for Thales really classifies as him 'defeating'' Byleth. Its hardly a straight fight. Or hardly a fight at all. 

Knocking somebody 30 yards into a canyon? That's a kill. In as much as knocking somebody 30 yards into the air and them dying to gravity would be a kill. But my very next sentence acknowledges it's not the ideal "straight fight" with which to judge conclusively. Not like watching Seiros beat up Nemesis in the opening.

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

He's super strong. I don't think that so much as implies crests are randomly procced like in gameplay. Other supports affirm there's nothing random about it.

But read Dimitri's crest effects: It doubles his weapon might and uses used. So he breaks items quicker.

6 hours ago, Deathcon said:

But read Dimitri's crest effects: It doubles his weapon might and uses used. So he breaks items quicker.

Unless Dimitri ever says "oh gee, my crest makes my life really awkward with all this super strength" then I don't see a reason to blame his crest for these mishaps. It's certainly a funny reason to suggest why he can't hold scissors, but it's not actually what the game is telling us is happening. Some people really don't have a knack for things they've never tried, and he even improves at sewwing so it's not a supernatural condition he can't overcome. 

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Unless Dimitri ever says "oh gee, my crest makes my life really awkward with all this super strength" then I don't see a reason to blame his crest for these mishaps. It's certainly a funny reason to suggest why he can't hold scissors, but it's not actually what the game is telling us is happening. Some people really don't have a knack for things they've never tried, and he even improves at sewwing so it's not a supernatural condition he can't overcome. 

His supports with Felix have them talk about how he broke a sword as a child by swinging it too hard. That's not something a normal child should be able to do. And unless you say he was just randomly born with superpowers, I don't think there is any culprit other than his crest.

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It's entirely possible that the Crest is the source of Dimitri's inconvenient super-strength, without Dimitri realizing that. The Lysithea-Catherine support confirms that Crests can affect their bearer's abilities and perception (in their case, telling when it'sgonna rain), without them realizing that it's the Crest at work. In Dimitri's case, it's a reasonable assumption that bding prone to breaking things is a side effect of the Crest of Blaiddyd (especially considering its in-battle effect), even if the game never says so explicitly. 

6 hours ago, Nanima said:

His supports with Felix have them talk about how he broke a sword as a child by swinging it too hard. That's not something a normal child should be able to do. And unless you say he was just randomly born with superpowers, I don't think there is any culprit other than his crest.

Maybe it was a crappy wooden training sword. You don't know the details about an event offscreen many years ago. Chrom and Lucina also break weapons all the time and continue to do so as adults like Dimitri. Do they possess the Crest of Blaidyad, or do they break weapons often since they're used to using an unbreakable Falchion?

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's entirely possible that the Crest is the source of Dimitri's inconvenient super-strength, without Dimitri realizing that. The Lysithea-Catherine support confirms that Crests can affect their bearer's abilities and perception (in their case, telling when it'sgonna rain), without them realizing that it's the Crest at work. In Dimitri's case, it's a reasonable assumption that bding prone to breaking things is a side effect of the Crest of Blaiddyd (especially considering its in-battle effect), even if the game never says so explicitly. 

This is a fine assumption to make. All I was arguing in the first place is that crests are not randomly procced like in gameplay. And that a crest wielder can choose to use or not use their crest at will. 

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Maybe it was a crappy wooden training sword. You don't know the details about an event offscreen many years ago. Chrom and Lucina also break weapons all the time and continue to do so as adults like Dimitri. Do they possess the Crest of Blaidyad, or do they break weapons often since they're used to using an unbreakable Falchion?

The Japanese text uses the standard kanji for sword and not the one specific for wooden training sword. Plus, why would Felix bring that incident up in connection with Dimitri potentially snapping a real metal sword in two if it was just a wooden one? You tell me not to make any assumptions, yet you keep making your own. It doesn't even have to be true for all crests, but Dimitri stands out like a sore thumb. There is clearly something weird going on with his physical strength and I wish the game had explored the topic more, maybe even linked it to his psychological state as a sort of foreshadowing.    

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Also, I loved how this conversation went so off topic.

Yeah. I'm not making the mistake of posting here again. I can't believe I just got shamed for having not read supports a SECOND time in japanese.

Back on topic...

Petra: 8/10

They don't REALLY talk about Petra as a character or her talents. If you look at her in battle as an enemy, she gave me the MOST trouble because I just couldn't hit her. But ignoring that, I think her skill/unique battle style would make her a threat. She's quick. Quiet. And really fast, as evidenced by her supports with Claude if I'm thinking correctly. Also coming from a nation that has always been on the brink of war, I know she was trained constantly. And then in her support with Ferdinand(?) about him having to learn her style and realize her style of fighting is very powerful and strong and not what he expected. I'm gonna go with she's a powerhouse, if only because Fodlan people underestimate her style/don't know how to deal with it, which makes her a great, unpredictable asset in battle. Definitely a powerhouse.

Felix: 8/10 (potential to be a 9 in his later years)

All he does is seek out battle against the strongest opponents, especially training against Byleth again and again which is only bound to make him better. I think if the war had gone on, he would hav ended up being a champion. But right now, he's a powerhouse. 

Marianne: 2/10

She only has healing magic, basically. She's not a fighter. Even with her confidence in post-skip, I can't see her being a fighter. She' probably always in the back-lines, healing. Which is fine. But I can't see her surviving an attack from a basic enemy soldier with magic and a sword. She'd crumble. As a healer, she's probably very highly ranked. But as a fighter, what is she gonna do?

Thales: 8/10

He's strong ... but ...  idk much about him and I played all the routes. Haha. He felt like brains, not brawn in a sense. I don't really know how to rank him. He wasn't a final boss, really. He's clearly an elite and stuff, but he never struck me as like a champion-level power. I'd personally rank him a 6, but that's just because he was laughably easy, imo. Hahaha. But I know canonically he's stronger.

• Felix: 9

This guy had nothing to envy to the Lords, he train relentlessly since he is a child and already have some real experience prior to joining the Academy. Pre-Timeskip he is already stronger than his father who is a powerhouse in it's own right, and his Relic cover is only weakness. He probably reached the peak for normal humans.

• Petra: 8.5

Pretty much the same as Felix but with different speciality. Her cultural difference would also be a great advantage in a fight, and she's known that she is a fast learner and very adaptative.

• Marianne: 7.5

The fact that she has a proficiency in two weapon types and a Crest to complete it imply that she can handle herself well in a melee fight, unlike most other mages. Her Faith spell list is also more offensive than most, and her ability to talk with animals could be helpful on a battlefield.

• Thales: 8.5

The guy know a lot without a doubt, and that's the most important for a mage. However, he was never presented as particularly strong. He was also taken out without fanfare and rather easily in Azure Moon.

Petra: 7'5/10

Pretty strong for someone without a crest, knowing how to apply her hunting knowledge in the battlefield. That said, and while she is naturally agile, it seems to me that she still could improve in close combat.

Felix: 8'5/10

While not as amazing as Edel or dimitri, he is definitely one of the strongests students. He has a major crest, the sword of zoltan, and a relic, this is particularly telling of his strenght as you fight him in the same chapter you fight his father, yet he is the one weilding it.

Marianne: 4'5/10

She is not strong, offensive magic isn't what she focuses in, and her physical strenght is not particularly amazing. That said, she has a relic that goes well with her talents, so she should't fall too far behind. If she were in a class that used mounts she probably would have a somewhat higher rank, but since her canon class doesn't have one, this is how she stays.

Thales: 8'5/10

I guess he is supposed to be rather strong in canon. Effortlessly stopping the sword of the creator when Byleth was trying to save Jeralt is also kinda impresive, but it not actually being a combat makes it have little value as a feat.

14 hours ago, Jaiden said:

I think the javelins of light is one of the, if not the best feat in the game. However, Thales can only seem to summon them from his base. 

One detail about it is there are multiple icon on the floor when he launches it, which might suggest each icon is a launch switch.

• 1 month later...