Byleth headcanons(spoilers)

Dragoncat

Figured this belonged better here, people in the 3H board generally just talk about gameplay and occasionally story, nothing to this extent. Post thoughts here. Some of this may contradict what's said in Silver Snow, haven't played it yet but there's a chance. I also realize stuff in Verdant Wind might contradict it.

Crest of Flames/Creation

Nemesis, the Dark Liberation King, was like Genghis Khan. A conqueror with a harem. The war with Seiros resulted in most of his offspring being killed, but a few lived/were overlooked. Just enough to keep the Crest of Flames dormant for centuries. Maybe a few descendants had it show up, but mostly, it was carried below the surface through generations.

The first time it showed up clearly was in the Garreg Mach nun named Vivian. Hanneman says it hadn't shown up, but this is just because Rhea did not share information and had her own crest scanner/way of knowing. Nuns in Fodlan clearly don't have the same restrictions as Catholic nuns, because Vivian was allowed to mate with Jeralt after being officially married in the eyes of the church. As we know, Vivian did not last long after the birth of their child. The child, as we also know, was converted into a vessel for Sothis by Rhea.

Jeralt has the Crest of Seiros, so we could logically believe that Byleth is a carrier of it. Crests can be carried in the manner of recessive genes. Jeralt probably got that crest from Rhea's blood transfusion that saved his life. Unlike the crest implants Those who Slither in the Dark do, this method is not dangerous and actually lengthens the life span, and has the potential of passing the crest down to offspring.

Heartbeat

It's said ingame that Byleth has no heartbeat, but I've heard one scene in Crimson Flower (have yet to play) shows Edelgard hearing said heartbeat, so I assume it is there, just fainter than normal.

Effects of Goddess Hormones on Male Byleth

Sothis' presence, a female deity in a male vessel, does confuse male Byleth's system a little bit. He basically got a good dose of goddess estrogen growing up. He still went through proper male puberty and can still mate like a normal male, but his sperm count is halved. It's harder for him to father offspring. Herbs and supplements exist to help with this if he wants it.

Effects of Goddess Hormones on Female Byleth

Female deity and female vessel doesn't confuse the system. Female Byleth developed and matured like a normal female. The goddess estrogen makes her eggs stronger and healthier than average, and she has a small fertility boost. She's slightly more likely than average to birth twins.

General Effects of Goddess Vessel Status

Both Byleths can pass down Crest of Flames. Both will live longer than average and are generally less likely to suffer much from sickness. The neon green hair and eyes were effects of the surge of goddess magic given by Sothis to escape the void, and did not change DNA. Think of it as dyeing your hair purple, that doesn't mean your kids could have purple hair.

Non fatal wounds will heal easily. Seasonal colds are rarely caught. Byleth is healthy with a strong immune system. They will begin to break down eventually and then die, but appears immortal until it happens and it won't happen soon. When it happens, Sothis could return to the world...wishful thinking perhaps, there's no telling what will actually happen.

Magic/Divine Pulse

Byleth can pick up just about any magic tome and master it right away. Divine Pulse kinda drains their energy and can only go back so far, and of course it can be countered/canceled with sinister magic.

Edited by Dragoncat

21 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

You are weirdly obsessed with sex, you know that right?

Dude, I literally only described hormone levels. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Do you want me to go more in depth? I didn't. And I won't. Notice that the longest bits aren't even the hormone levels. If you mean the Nemesis bit, well I'm sorry to say history wasn't all prudes and never touch a boobie tribe. Genghis Khan existed. He did do that. Him and so many others. Basing Nemesis off Genghis Khan is an easy assumption.

I posted it here so the people who only want to talk about gameplay or mostly gameplay wouldn't have to see it if they didn't want.

...Yes, I admit I do have a kind of horniness to me, but I wouldn't call myself obsessed. I am also mildly autistic which may have something to do with it.

Edited by Dragoncat

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Figured this belonged better here, people in the 3H board generally just talk about gameplay and occasionally story, nothing to this extent.

I appreciate the thought, but nah. Also, thicc tip, just use 'they' pronouns instead of the long, unwieldy and occasionally inaccurate he / she.

My personal headcanons are... implied strongly by the story in any case. Byleth doesn't quite sit right with the world. She's a little off, a little ... not-quite-reacting to things in certain ways. A lot of the time the game will deny her the straightforward love-and-peace-and-hug-it-out dialogue option, or it gives her the option to attempt jokes with really awkward timing. She doesn't quite get people.

Also, let's be real, it's not all sun and roses with Jeralt. He's a fixture in her life, and she still has a strong sense of loyalty to him, but... is he a good father? Let's be real, he's pretty obviously not. They're always kept at arm's length, or at best with an awkward, forced camaraderie; I mean, that's basically the crux of Leonie's criticism in any case, that Byleth sees Kinda Shitty Dad Jeralt Who Never Told Her That Religion Existed instead of the idealised version Leonie's built up in her head. Speaking personally, that... resonates with my experiences. I'm estranged from my father, but that doesn't involve fights or shouting, just... a lot of awkwardness. Grinning and bearing it. Except that Byleth doesn't really grin, just stares blankly.

byleth is important and i love her

Just now, Parrhesia said:

I appreciate the thought, but nah. Also, thicc tip, just use 'they' pronouns instead of the long, unwieldy and occasionally inaccurate he / she.

My personal headcanons are... implied strongly by the story in any case. Byleth doesn't quite sit right with the world. She's a little off, a little ... not-quite-reacting to things in certain ways. A lot of the time the game will deny her the straightforward love-and-peace-and-hug-it-out dialogue option, or it gives her the option to attempt jokes with really awkward timing. She doesn't quite get people.

Also, let's be real, it's not all sun and roses with Jeralt. He's a fixture in her life, and she still has a strong sense of loyalty to him, but... is he a good father? Let's be real, he's pretty obviously not. They're always kept at arm's length, or at best with an awkward, forced camaraderie; I mean, that's basically the crux of Leonie's criticism in any case, that Byleth sees Kinda Shitty Dad Jeralt Who Never Told Her That Religion Existed instead of the idealised version Leonie's built up in her head. Speaking personally, that... resonates with my experiences. I'm estranged from my father, but that doesn't involve fights or shouting, just... a lot of awkwardness. Grinning and bearing it. Except that Byleth doesn't really grin, just stares blankly.

byleth is important and i love her

Jeralt is just a big teddy bear dad, I imagine not PERFECT yeah, but he did keep Byleth alive and really did care and was scared to death of Rhea for what she did. Also the first time Byleth cried was at his death, so that's gotta say something.

I will edit in "they", sure. I must still be thinking of back when I was in high school and teachers would mark me off for using that.

I see differing personalities just from the portraits too. 

Male: "I don't get paid enough for this shit" "Whoever threw that paper your mom's a hoe" *grumpy stare*

Female: "How do you do fellow kids" "This is not elementary school, don't line up at the door" *bad attempted dab*

I can imagine that Byleth has some form of Autism. They don't speak much and don't not show much emotion, except for when Jeralt dies. Even their gestures seem to speak louder than their emotions. Although I could say it's because they're an actual Avatar unlike the one in Fates, who has a personality of their own, Byleth's lack of emotion is heavily lampshaded - even in the story itself they did not laugh or cry from an early age, which was long before the Player got to control them. They are not just an empty shell.

Byleth makes a good mercenary, but an even better teacher and strategist. The latter may be the Player's influence, depending on how good you are. This could be a result of Savant Syndrome.

It is, however, quite possible that their condition might be entirely different. What causes Byleth to lack emotion might be the same condition that allowed him to have a pulse but no actual heartbeat.

1 hour ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I can imagine that Byleth has some form of Autism. They don't speak much and don't not show much emotion, except for when Jeralt dies. Even their gestures seem to speak louder than their emotions. Although I could say it's because they're an actual Avatar unlike the one in Fates, who has a personality of their own, Byleth's lack of emotion is heavily lampshaded - even in the story itself they did not laugh or cry from an early age, which was long before the Player got to control them. They are not just an empty shell.

Byleth makes a good mercenary, but an even better teacher and strategist. The latter may be the Player's influence, depending on how good you are. This could be a result of Savant Syndrome.

It is, however, quite possible that their condition might be entirely different. What causes Byleth to lack emotion might be the same condition that allowed him to have a pulse but no actual heartbeat.

Autism seems like it would fit. I do wonder if the "they didn't cry" is really possible though, I mean...if they didn't do that, then how would they indicate they were hungry or needed a diaper change before they could speak? Jeralt clearly isn't a mind reader. I can see the not laughing, but I imagine the not crying to be not shedding tears of sadness instead of not crying period.

I wonder if autism symptoms are a side effect of deity vesseling.

Enough focus is put on the One Time Byleth Cries that I do feel 'never cried' was literal. And it was unnatural and did freak Jeralt the fuck out. I mean, if a baby never throws tantrums, wine mums complement them on being well-behaved, rather than look for an exorcist.

As far as more mundane questions... guesswork, combined with, like. You can generally tell when a baby's shat itself. But Byleth Never Fucking Cries, Ever, And Never Did is a deeply important plot beat to them, and I feel like ', except for special occasions' weakens that significantly.

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

As far as more mundane questions... guesswork, combined with, like. You can generally tell when a baby's shat itself

Fair enough, but what about hunger?

On 11/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, Dragoncat said:

Heartbeat

It's said ingame that Byleth has no heartbeat, but I've heard one scene in Crimson Flower (have yet to play) shows Edelgard hearing said heartbeat, so I assume it is there, just fainter than normal.

This is inaccurate, but it's fine as you hadn't played it.
The reason why Byleth has no heartbeat

Spoiler

is because of Sothis's Heart(Creststone of Sothis/Flame) being used as replacement. It is shattered moment after their final victory and returns the beat to his heart. So it's not just fainter than normal it's just coming back, Edelgard originally thought Byleth died the moment Seiros fell till she felt the beat while holding Byleth.

Edited by Fateborn

1 hour ago, Fateborn said:

This is inaccurate, but it's fine as you hadn't played it.
The reason why Byleth has no heartbeat

Yeah, somebody told me stuff on Reddit.