desmume emulator lagging

Riff

What is the device you use the emulator on?  Like, is it on a mobile device or a PC?  And if it's on a PC, what are its specs?  Or if it's on mobile, what kind of mobile device (phone or tablet; Apple or Android; which model of the respective device)?  It helps to know what you're trying to use to emulate games.

Oh, and what version of Desmume are you using?

19 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

What is the device you use the emulator on?  Like, is it on a mobile device or a PC?  And if it's on a PC, what are its specs?  Or if it's on mobile, what kind of mobile device (phone or tablet; Apple or Android; which model of the respective device)?  It helps to know what you're trying to use to emulate games.

Oh, and what version of Desmume are you using?

windows 7

DeSmuME_0.9.9_x86

45 minutes ago, Riff said:

windows 7

DeSmuME_0.9.9_x86

The above tells me the OS (which is helpful) but nothing else about your PC.  I'm asking for CPU and RAM, maybe GPU as well if it's not just a laptop or some other kind of PC with integrated graphics.  Plus, I need to know if your OS is in 32 bit or 64 bit, as most programs will have different versions for those OS's (it'd be titled "0.9.9_x64" if it's for 64-bit OS's).  I personally use DeSmuME version 0.9.6 on a 64-bit OS, and the game runs fine.  You find that stuff by right clicking on your "My Computer" folder and selecting "Properties".  Also, I forgot another question: have you been able to run the emulator before on that PC, and has it always been that version of DeSmuME?

As for the program version, that's not the latest version.  The latest version is 0.9.11, which can be found at the top of this page.  You may also want to consider trying No$GBA, which has been updated more recently.  RetroArch and OpenEmu would also work, as they're general emulators for a variety of retro consoles.

If, for some reason, you don't want to update or change emulator, you'll need to do some troubleshooting/maintenance.  My first recommendation is getting a can of air spray and, with your computer turned completely off and unplugged, spraying down the vents and fans, because often times lag happens when a CPU is overheating due to fans collecting dust.  If it doesn't work right after that, right-click on your taskbar (the bar that shows all your programs, usually on the bottom) and click "Task Manager".  In the application that appears, you'll want to select the "Processes" tab which will show you a bunch of programs that are running.  Check the usage of your CPU and RAM.  Then run the emulator and check the usage of those resources again.

RAM in particular is something you want to look at.  If you're ramming the 80-90% range, your whole computer will start lagging.  As for CPU, you primarily just want to look for an abnormally high CPU usage from any individual program aside from the emulator (from any given program it'd be at least 20%), because running two CPU intensive processes at once can also cause lag.  The CPU usage check is just to be sure all CPU-hogging processes are off, while the RAM is to A) check if there's a memory leak, B) check if any program is using memory that you don't need immediate access to, and C) see if your overall RAM can handle the entire workload of the emulator (chances are if you've at least got 4GB RAM and storage freed up, it should be fine).

• 1 year later...

For me No$GBA runs faster and I combined it with No$Zoomer for more options. I was trying to record gameplay but the footage was extremely laggy with Desume. Now I have a setup that looks a little worse but it actually records okay. If you can't get a better computer, then maybe that could be a way around the issue.

Edited by tacticsfan999