Your Favorite Three Houses Characters!

I've been kind of sitting on making this topic for a while now and finally decided that, you know what, it's been long enough and I want to hear what everyone has to say.

So! In light of that, please share with me and others your favorite 3H character (or characters) and why you love them so much. Do you like characters from other FE games more than them? There's no real reason for this apart from curiosity and wanting to hear other people's opinions on the characters of the game.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My avatar and message below my username should make my answer obvious. :3 Sylvain's the greatest. ❤️

I also love Claude, just about everything that comes out of his mouth is gold. lol He's also such a damn good unit post-time skip.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My avatar and message below my username should make my answer obvious. :3 Sylvain's the greatest. ❤️

I also love Claude, just about everything that comes out of his mouth is gold. lol He's also such a damn good unit post-time skip.

You know, I really like Sylvain too. I just find that he's one of the characters that I have to watch my mood for. Some of his supports can be a little cringey for me to watch, not that it detracts from his character at all, it's just that he can be a bit contentious. I love his support chains with Dedue, Mercedes, and Ingrid though. As for Claude, I love how he goes from the least conventional of the three pre-timeskip to your anime protagonist "power of friendship" guy. He's a fun character 🙂

5 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

My Avatar should pretty much answer it

also Marianne, the other black eagles, and the Golden Deer to a degree(IM LOOKING AT YOU LEONIE). Also all the blue lions except Dimitri and Dedue.

I wonder why it is that many people who love Edelgard hate Dimitri and vice versa... I mean sure they're about as opposite in terms of character as you can get, but still. I personally prefer Dimitri, but I like Edelgard too. I will say that the Black Eagles is my most contentious house in terms of the characters, though that really has nothing to do with Edelgard.

28 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

You know, I really like Sylvain too. I just find that he's one of the characters that I have to watch my mood for. Some of his supports can be a little cringey for me to watch, not that it detracts from his character at all, it's just that he can be a bit contentious. I love his support chains with Dedue, Mercedes, and Ingrid though. As for Claude, I love how he goes from the least conventional of the three pre-timeskip to your anime protagonist "power of friendship" guy. He's a fun character 🙂

Yeah, I found some Sylvain supports I liked more than others, though I don't think there's one I really dislike. He's so deep and complex for a womanizer, and I already tend to like womanizers in the first place. His complexity and growth and the fact that he's such a sweet guy deep down (and not to mention hot too!) just made him all the more lovable to me. I also think he has some amusing moments too. lol

Claude is just hilarious and fun. XD And he's pretty damn good looking post-time skip!

I mainly look for good character and writing and also design in characters. The former is a bit more important, but yeah. Though just to clarify, a character doesn't have to be attractive to be well-designed to me. Sylvain and Claude just both happen to be good-looking guys. XD It's just one of a bunch of ways a character can be well-designed.

Edited by Anacybele

Let's go with my top 3

Lysithea

I think she's an admirable person with flaws. Fact is that I would never have been that strong in her situation. Just imagine someone forcing something into you for an experiment and giving you a sort of cancer like disease in the progress, it's so unfair. I would 100% break down and I think it's very admirable that despite everything she still manages to pull herself together, learn and improve herself so she can accomplish her goals in her limited time that she has left. 

Edelgard

My favorite lord. She's a likable pro active protagonist that pushes forward with her ideals no matter the cost with a very good backstory. It's also incredibly satisfying to see a lord that for once decides to break the nobility. She's also an Armor Axe lord which is so goddamn cool. 

Felix

Felix doesn't care a lot about honor, Knights and the like. I don't care about those things either and am glad that we finally get a character that calls out some of the BS. He's also kind of awkward which I kind of like.

Edited by Strullemia

My number one favorite character in this game is Annette. I love how positive and cheerful she is. Her singing weird songs about food is adorable, too.

She is followed very closely by Seteth and Flayn.
Seteth is an all-around great character (and unit) with his overprotectiveness of Flayn adding a bit of humor to his otherwise rather serious and no-nonsense personality. Though any humor in these scenes gets dulled when you know WHY Seteth is that way, but I feel like that is exactly one of the things that make him great to me. He's just a good example of a very nuanced, likeable character. I also like how, in the beginning of the game, he clearly mistrusts Byleth for VERY understandable reasons, but unlike a certain other character who also mistrusted the protagonist of his own game for understandable reasons, Seteth isn't an unreasonable d*** about it.
Meanwhile Flayn is one of the most adorable characters ever produced by Intelligent Systems. Her personality makes her immediately likeable, some of her supports are comedy gold (Byleth, Sylvain, Seteth), and like with Seteth, you have a backstory and lore attached to her that makes you think twice about dismissing her quirks as pure comedy effects. Like with Seteth, there is also more to her than just being cute and naive, as many of her lines are actually quite deep and thoughtful (for example, when she about flowers that grow despite their environment and how inspiring they are). In that aspect, she kind of reminds me of Nowi, only a bit more subtle.

Of course, all these are helped by their fantastic voice actors.

8 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

Let's go with my top 3

Lysithea

I think she's an admirable person with flaws. Fact is that I would never have been that strong in her situation. Just imagine someone forcing something into you for an experiment and giving you a sort of cancer like disease in the progress, it's so unfair. I would 100% break down and I think it's very admirable that despite everything she still manages to pull herself together, learn and improve herself so she can accomplish her goals in her limited time that she has left. 

Edelgard

My favorite Female lord. She's a likable pro active protagonist that pushes forward with her ideals no matter the cost with a very good backstory. It's also incredibly satisfying to see a lord that for once decides to break the nobility. She's also an Armor Axe lord which is so goddamn cool. 

Felix

Felix doesn't care a lot about honor, Knights and the like. I don't care about those things either and am glad that we finally get a character that calls out some of the BS. He's also kind of awkward which I kind of like.

Agreed with all of these. Especially Felix. His aversion to blind obedience is what cemented him as one of my favorite Blue Lions characters.

Edited by DragonFlames

Well, this is pretty hard for a guy who likes 95% of the cast..

Ignatz, however, should be a '10.5' character for me. Not only he was really useful in every run ('Master of dodge, crit and do it again' and 'Let's make that a hit-kill'), but he's also one of the only characters that I can almost full relate (the only change would be 'Gifted Artist->Guy with no artistic talent that tries his best to be good at').

There are some other favorites (Marianne, Claude, Dimitri, Bernie, Ferdinand, Linhardt, etc), but none of them really gets close to the same level as I like Ignatz.

By the way, the 5% is Edelgard.

I really do like a lot of the Three Houses cast, but some of my favorites include (in no particular order)

• Lysithea
  • Dorothea
  • Ashe
  • Claude
  • Dimitri
  • Edelgard
  • Shamir
  • Annette
  • Leonie
  • Raphael
  • Dedue
  • Hubert
  • Petra
  • Sylvain

There are other characters I really like, but these are some of my favorites off the top of my head

Edited by Gregster101

Just realized I haven't listed mine!

My top 10 in no particular order: Dimitri, Felix, Mercedes, Petra, Lysithea, Claude, Sylvain, Hilda, Dorothea, and Seteth.

The only one in that list that's solid is Dimitri at number one. Of course I limited myself to the top ten so I wouldn't list the entire cast minus like 10 characters.

Dimitri to me is the best lord in the game and definitely in my top two FE lords. Felix is a lovable a**hole who I kinda want to heckle just to see his reaction. I get people have a problem with Mercedes's voice but she's so lovable! Petra is amazing and deserves better. Lysithea is a nuke and, while she has her bad moments, overall her character is one I really like, she's overcome so much. Claude is Claude, there's really not much else to say about that. Hilda is one of the ones that annoyed me at first but then the more I learned about her the more I liked her, she's actually really sweet and considerate. Dorothea is the sass master I aspire to become. Seteth also pleasantly surprised me with how much I grew to love his character.

Lorenz is one of my favorites. Even his C supports have some fascinating dialogue for showing the awkwardness of interactions between different social classes. The cringe is intentional, and helps sell the idea to us 21st century types that people really believe they're different and entitled to special treatment in the upper classes of Fodlan. Because if we only went off the other noble characters in the game we'd never believe such conflict exists - the playable characters in Three Houses are so damned agreeable. They say cleanliness is second to godliness, but to Lorenz both are subordinate to nobility. To take that away is nothing short of taking his world away. And even though his world views get challenged, they don't totally go away, they just adapt in positive ways not often seen in the real world. Lorenz' closest analogue to previous FE characters is no doubt Fernand from Echoes who shows us the other way nobles reacted to challenge. I definitely remembered hoping they'd explore nobility more after playing Echoes and Three Houses definitely delivers.

Edited by Glennstavos

Seteth:

There's Seteth of course who surprisingly enough turned out to be my favorite character. Like Dragonflame says he's a very multifaceted character who can play multiple roles. There's some comedy in him either by him being overly protective with Flayn or the straight man with others, he can be the cold competent professional and the warm dad without these roles ever really contradicting each other. He can be cold and stern because that's required for his job while the warm dad giving sagely advice is who he actually is on a personal level. 

It also helps that he's one of the rare characters in his archetype who's done well. When he's distrustful he only ever makes completely reasonable objections rather than simply having it out for the main character for no reason. Even him being snide about it at times can partially be explained by frustrations that are fairly understandable. 

Hanneman:

He's a lot like Haar. A character who comes off as a one note gimmick character but turns out to be a nuanced character disguised as a gimmicky one. At first glance it seems like obsessing about Crests is all he has but then it turns out the reason for his behavior stems from very serious issues within the story and that his gimmick is in the focus of real ideals that very much resemble that of Edelgard. There's something interesting in how his gimmick is driven by anger and disgust to a class he himself is part of. 

Like Seteth Hanneman can also be quite the warm dad to many of the students. He's really supportive to the likes of Dorothea and even Hubert. Throughout his supports Hanneman often comes off as a very sympathetic guy.

Hubert:

I like villains and given how Hubert acts its likely Huberts like villains too. He also very clearly likes being a villain. Hubert is fairly interesting but he's not the deepest character in Fodlan. Still the sinister nature Hubert puts into everything he does never stops being amusing. Because Hubert's villainy comes both from a shaky moral compass as well as his own amusement he can be a sinister villain on the battlefield and a playful troll to his allies without these two contrasting each other. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Marianne, Mercedes, Dorothea, Rhea, Ferdinand, Seteth, Flayn, Petra, Dimitri, Hilda, Manuela, Hanneman

i could explain why i like them, but that would probably take a whole day

let's just say i'd like to have them around, i think i would have a great time (maybe except for marianne, but she's a different case)

54 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Seteth:

There's Seteth of course who surprisingly enough turned out to be my favorite character. Like Dragonflame says he's a very multifaceted character who can play multiple roles. There's some comedy in him either by him being overly protective with Flayn or the straight man with others, he can be the cold competent professional and the warm dad without these roles ever really contradicting each other. He can be cold and stern because that's required for his job while the warm dad giving sagely advice is who he actually is on a personal level. 

It also helps that he's one of the rare characters in his archetype who's done well. When he's distrustful he only ever makes completely reasonable objections rather than simply having it out for the main character for no reason. Even him being snide about it at times can partially be explained by frustrations that are fairly understandable. 

Hanneman:

He's a lot like Haar. A character who comes off as a one note gimmick character but turns out to be a nuanced character disguised as a gimmicky one. At first glance it seems like obsessing about Crests is all he has but then it turns out the reason for his behavior stems from very serious issues within the story and that his gimmick is in the focus of real ideals that very much resemble that of Edelgard. There's something interesting in how his gimmick is driven by anger and disgust to a class he himself is part of. 

Like Seteth Hanneman can also be quite the warm dad to many of the students. He's really supportive to the likes of Dorothea and even Hubert. Throughout his supports Hanneman often comes off as a very sympathetic guy.

Hubert:

I like villains and given how Hubert acts its likely Huberts like villains too. He also very clearly likes being a villain. Hubert is fairly interesting but he's not the deepest character in Fodlan. Still the sinister nature Hubert puts into everything he does never stops being amusing. Because Hubert's villainy comes both from a shaky moral compass as well as his own amusement he can be a sinister villain on the battlefield and a playful troll to his allies without these two contrasting each other. 

That pretty much sums up all of them very well. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Hanneman, and I found myself enjoying a lot of Seteth's supports as well. I'd say Hubert in particular is Iago done right.

Felix, Sylvain, Ingrid, Mercedes, Annette, Dimitri, Dedue, Dorothea, Edelgard, Leonie and Shamir are my favorite Three houses characters easily. outside of three houses the list would take forever but some off the top of my head would be Zihark, Dieck, Gerik, Joshua, Naesala, Vika, Ike, Soren, Rutger, Sigurd, Arya, Alm, Celica, Saber, Sonya, Deen, Zeke, Hector, and Rath.

Edited by Zihark11

All the Black Eagles, but special mention to Caspar and Dorothea. Absolute favorites in the game.

Beyond that, Felix, Annette, Claude, Marianne, Alois, and Shamir. The only units I don't like are Dimitri and Rhea (I was gonna say Cyril, but that's really "complete and utter indifference", which isn't the same thing).

Special mentions for characters I grew to like:

Sylvain: Hated him at first, then his support with Dorothea showed me just how alike they are. And it's hard to like one and hate the other.

Hilda: Seemed too goddamn whiny at first, later came to see that she really does care for her friends.

Seteth: Seemed like such a stick-in-the-mud, but came to respect him as Rhea's conscience of sorts.

4 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

🙂I wonder why it is that many people who love Edelgard hate Dimitri and vice versa... I mean sure they're about as opposite in terms of character as you can get, but still.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but here goes:

Spoiler

Dimitri was ALMOST a character I could really enjoy. Dark and troubled past? Cool. Hell-bent on revenge for the death of his loved ones? Awesome. I went CF->VW->AM, and I was thinking I might actually come to like all 3 lords.

And then the Flame Emperor reveal happened.

It's one thing to let yourself get spoiled and know an angry rampage is coming; it's another to see it happen. That wasn't an angry rampage, it was a sadistic slaughter. And he just kept so stubbornly chasing after Edelgard, in the face of superior alternative tactics and even common sense. And he thinks everyone else is exactly as vicious as him. No, Dimitri, Randolph swiftly killing enemy combatants in a war is not the same as you ripping his eyes out and slaughtering his friends just to hurt him. I was really annoyed after the battle at Myrrdin, and was asking around about when he snaps out of it. Everyone pointed me towards Rodrigue's death as the big moment. But what's the first thing he did immediately after Rodrigue's death? Try to march to Enbarr alone. I was fed up at that point. I shouted, "You know what? Fine, march your dumb ass to Enbarr, try to fight the entire army, and die, pitifully and alone!"

I remembered when I played VW and got to the scene where he dies. At the time, I thought, "What? He's a main character! You can't have an offscreen death for one of the main characters!" Thinking back on it later, I said, "Nope, fuck it. That animal got what he deserves."

Edelgard:

I have never seen a character so selfless and as incredible as her. The lengths and sacrifices that she was willing to go through for the sake of putting an end to a rotten world. Even if she had to lose all joy and love in her life, she was willing to walk down this path. 

I have no regrets in siding with Edelgard when the time came, and any chance I get, I would side with her every chance I would be given. 

Lucina might have a very special place in my heart, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Edelgard is by far the BEST female lord in the entire franchise. And is definitely one of the best characters in most games. 

Felix:

The best character in the Blue Lions house. Like, shit man, I cannot help but adore the man after how I see his character arc in the other stories. Honestly. I felt his character arc was at its worst in Azure Moon. Don't get me wrong, that is the route in which he is at his most happiest, but his character growth in that route is also where he just suddenly STOPS growing. After a certain chapter, he just overall lets all the things go.

During Silver Snow and Verdant Wind, it's sad and ironic how he ends up becoming exactly like Dimitri, in how he becomes a bloodthirsty fighter that seeks to attain tribute for Dimtiri after his death. Felix isn't even aware of it. And in Crimson Flower, he definitely had his best character arc, where he was willing to face his best friend, but the constant fighting really took a mental toll on him, and though he does have a desire to believe that the path Edelgard and Byleth are fighting for is right, it doesn't change that he really is struggling with the coming battles. He claims that he's become just like Dimitri there, but honestly, I would not say that to be the case. As I said, it's Silver Snow and Verdant Wind that he becomes like Dimitri.

Ferdinand von Aegir:

My boy Ferdie. I absolutely LOVE him. People go about how Sylvain is incredible, but after a while of hearing their supports, I find Ferdinand to be way better in comparison. Ferdinand is someone that is truly a noble among nobles. But the thing is, he is not just words. He is a compassionate man that is willing to act on his beliefs rather than just talk about things. This is very much proven in regards to his supports with Dorothea and Mercedes, where he proves himself with his actions, not just words. 

And the way that he accepts the hand that he is dealt with, in how he will accept things like how he cannot ever best Edelgard in the end, but moves on and finds his own path in life. I truly admire him. And my god, does he have both a way with words and a way with music. Check his A support with Manuela.

CLAUDE. 

Ok, all the characters in Three Houses are very well written. There are some I think deserve a special mention: Edelgard, Dorothea, Petra, Shamir, Felix, Ferdinand. And of course, Lorenz. 

What is special to me about Three Houses is that there were no characters I really hated - the devs truly did an excellent job in this regard. 

7 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I wonder why it is that many people who love Edelgard hate Dimitri and vice versa... I mean sure they're about as opposite in terms of character as you can get, but still. I personally prefer Dimitri, but I like Edelgard too. I will say that the Black Eagles is my most contentious house in terms of the characters, though that really has nothing to do with Edelgard.

It might be because of how his entire arc was handled, and how Edelgard was treated in his route.

Spoiler

Dude to mistranslations and or just strong effort to avoid talking about lores and such, Edelgard never really explains herself and comes off as more incompetent in Azure Moon. People always pushes the idea that Dimtiri tried to reach out to her twice and she refused him both times, and just hate Edelgard and condemn her. Even moreso when she turns into a Demonic Beast and such.

And Dimitri's arc has... issues. Like, we spend over five chapters/months with him being completely insane that gets some sick sadistic pleasure from wanting to slaughter people he deems guilty and torturing people to death and insists that they are all just like him. Then Rodrigue dies, gets a sad scene, holds hands with Byleth, and then... suddenly just gets better.

I know, I know, his S support reveals that he still does hear voices, but that doesn't change that for the rest of the story, Dimitri is no longer the boar we've been with those five chapters, but just the Dimitri we had known in Part 1 (even if that Dimitri was just a facade). But because of how sudden the change is, it's like... out of nowhere. It treats Dimitri's trauma and PTSD as an on-off switch. I have seen people who made some decent arguments and reasons for why Dimitri was affected by Rodrigue's death, but that doesn't change that to help him get better from his trauma, it required yet another trauma.

And why is Dimitri allowed to become King? Seriously, him admitting that he's not better just pushes the issue that a man with a mental illness is ruling the country. The endings try to preach that he did a good job, but... that's not something that feels earned. If anything, Dimitri really SHOULDN'T have been King. At all.

There's also the issue where some fans make some of the most absurd arguments about Dimitri like saying that "Dimitri created democracy" or that "Dimitri's system has checks and balances" and other such nonsense and then many Dimitri fans tend to nitpick the hell out of Edelgard and her route and endings and feel the need to criticize every aspect of her and why she is wrong and evil. 

Edited by omegaxis1

6 hours ago, Strullemia said:

Edelgard

My favorite Female lord. She's a likable pro active protagonist that pushes forward with her ideals no matter the cost with a very good backstory. It's also incredibly satisfying to see a lord that for once decides to break the nobility. She's also an Armor Axe lord which is so goddamn cool. 

I thought she was your favourite lord period. 

I'll just make it short and put in my top favorites in no particular order

1. Dorothea - I became very fond of her because of her supports and post time skip. I mean really, there's not much else for me to say about why I really adore her.

2. Felix - I got a thing for characters who are brash, cold and arrogant. 

3. Ingrid - I just really like how she's so devoted to being a knight and all that. She's more knightly than any other knights I've known or remember.

4. Marianne - Pretty much for the same reason as Dorothea. Everything about her just screams amazing.

Aside from those four, I'm also pretty fond of Hubert, Bernadetta, Sylvain, Ashe, Mercedes, Hilda, Raphael and Shamir.

Edited by Faustino

If I had to make a general favorites for Each house/set, I'd have to go for:

Black Eagles: Dorothea

Blue Lions: Dimitri (Followed Closely by sylvain)

Golden Deer: Lorenz (Followed Closely by Claude)

Church: Manuella (Followed Closely by Seteth)

It's odd, because I initially really Disliked Lorenz for the first half of my Golden deer Play-through, and was Rather indifferent to the Church members initially, but everyone seemed to win me over at some point. The Writing in 3 houses is strong, I hope they keep this quality writing for supports going forward.

Almost all of the characters in 3H are written in a way that makes them well liked which makes picking a few favourites hard. On top of my head: Marianne, Dimitri, Dedue, Hilda, Petra, Ferdinand, Caspar, Bernadetta and Ashe might be my favourites. 

I do want to say that I feel like there was a huge potential for Jeritza to become an interesting and compelling character given his role in the story and his backstory. The two supports IS gave felt more like a tease and kinda made his characterization feel incomplete. I want to see him interact with other characters more (especially Edelgard, Hubert and Manuela). 

Hopefully the last update will give him more supports but I’m not sure how likely that would be.

Edited by zuibangde