Video Game Firsts

XRay

So, what are your firsts in regards to video games? Which game took your video game virginity? Which game or series was your first love? Any other firsts you can think of?

I do not remember the game, but the game that took my video game virginity was a side scroller on the Super Nintendo.
Super Nintendo was my first video game console, although I do not remember playing it very much.
My first videogame love would have to be Advance Wars, and my entry into that series was with Dual Strike.
My first Fire Emblem game would be The Blazing Blade, and that is also my first turn based strategy game.
My first Fire Emblem love would be The Sacred Stones.
My first Fire Emblem waifu is Lyn.
My first Fire Emblem husbando is Reinhardt.
My first MMORPG would be Runescape.
My first handheld console is the DS.
My first PC game is Age of Empires III.

That is all the firsts I can think of for now.

"Video game virginity"? Wtf?

Anyway, sure, I'll answer.

The first game I loved? I'm not sure if it was a Mario game or Zelda one, but the first thing I loved doing in video games was playing as Luigi in anything I could. lol I just loved Luigi and still do. XD

My first FE game is Path of Radiance. It's still one of my favorites and Ike is my first "love" in that series.

The DS is also my first handheld, though I did want a Gameboy back when my brothers each had one.

I'm not sure what my first PC game was. But the first one I loved was either The Sims or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I plunked away at things on a computer every once in a while, and the house had a PS2 on which I played mostly FIFA 01 and 06 to death. But one day I got a DS, and that was the first experience of something truly being Mine. Final Fantasy 3 was the game that came with it. FF3 is genuinely terrible, but I made fun from noise, and am still fond of it. Just... have no desire to go back.

I got hooked on FE because my mate had a GameCube and on that GC was FE9, so I used to bully him into playing it when I was over. We got to the finale and couldn't beat it because our Ike was stat-screwed (I mean, also we were terrible at the game...) and restarted, eventually beating it at the second time of asking. Around this time I got curious and figured out how to emulate FE8, so that was the first one I played directly.Then 7, then 4.

My first console ever was my dad's GBA and I played some tetris with him on it, but...

2 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

one day I got a DS, and that was the first experience of something truly being Mine.

So the first game for the DS was Pokemon Pearl. I still love it a ton, and I've gotten myself and my brother a copy of pearl and diamond respectively for us to play together over Christmas break, since he was barely born when gen 4 happened and dumb kid me sold my DS with all the games a long time ago (thank god we both have 3DS's now, but it'll take a little time to rebuild the collection). 

Then came the Wii, and the first game on the wii that I had was Twilight Princess, which I got because my mom couldn't get past the fishing section in Ordon. Unlike the DS, I've never sold the Wii, and I still love that game to death and play it yearly.

My first fire emblem game was Radiant Dawn. I was playing Ike in Brawl at the time and wanted to try fire emblem, like a lot of people. Unlike a lot of people, however, I actually got a copy for a reasonable price a little after launch. My first run of it was.... not great. I thought HP was the best stat in the game, and it took me until awakening to actually try to get good at fire emblem. Now I've put over 500 hours into the game and I think I have a problem. 

My first non-nintendo console was a PS4, which I got to play Overwatch, Injustice and DBFZ with friends. The most important thing about the PS4, though, was introducing me to Persona 5 about a month before Joker got revealed for Smash Bros. So, basically, as I was riding the high of having beaten P5 for the first time, he got added to the biggest crossover ever, and I was needless to say freaking out. 

Speaking of RPGs, my first Xenoblade was Xenoblade 2 on the switch. I kind of ended up going backwards chronologically, playing the original last and X in between, but that series has also quickly become one of my favorites.

My first SSB main was Ike in Brawl, and yes, I prefer POR ike to RD ike, even though I'm the world's biggest RD fanboy.

My first FE waifu was Nephenee, and now it's Ingrid. My tastes have refined a lot over time.

I still haven't figured out who my first video game waifu was. It might have been Cynthia but it's hard to remember in general. There have been a lot.

My first videogame love would have to be Fire Emblem, Uncharted and the Tales Series.
My first Fire Emblem game would be Radiant Dawn and its still my favorite to this day.
My first Fire Emblem love would be Radiant dawn.
My first MMORPG would be LOTRO
My first handheld console is the GBA
My first PC game is Some scooby doo game

Gaming virginity being taken? first loves? What a kinky topic. 

Its probably a testament to how long gaming has been part of my life that i'm not entirely certain about what my ''firsts'' in a lot of instances actually were. 

First game: I know that the game that took my gaming virginity were in fact four games. Kinda like a gang bang.  . My first game was Mario All Stars and thus Super Mario Bros I, II, III and World. Donkey Kong Country II followed not long after. This naturally makes the SNES or ''super Nintendo'' as we Europeans call it my first console. 

First gaming love: Never stopped gaming since so I guess the aforementioned gaming duo would classify. 

First Fire Emblem Game: Blazing Sword of course

First Fire Emblem Waifu: Never been one for waifu's. Celica maybe since she's the first character I liked after an immediate click with her design. 

First Fire Emblem Husbando: Oliver

First MMO: Guild Wars for a few seconds. It was also my last MMO.

First Handheld game: Um......dunno? The first one I actively remember was the Gameboy Color but I swear I have memories of some ugly grey handheld system that played a really old Wario game. 

First PC game: Either Dungeon Keeper or Age of Mythology. Both are dead now. 

First game I hated: Fable III

My game virginity went to Mario and the 6 gold coins, on my dads OG gameboy. 

My first video game love, was definitely Pokemon Red version, could never catch Taurus or Kangaskan though. 

First console, was the regular game boy, but the first home console was the PS1, I played read ran into the wall of Spyro Gateway to Glimmer for like a minute and a half. 

First FE was the awakening demo off the e shop, and Awakening was my first Fire Emblem love. 

My first FE waifu was Lissa, with Gaius as the husbando. 

Never really played any MMORPGs, unless you count the only *real* game I've ever played on PC Roblox

Speaking of PC, my first PC game was some weird educational maths space shooter thing that was on all the school computers. 

The first game I ever hated was Ishido: the way of stones for the gameboy, because 4 year old me back in 05 couldn't figure out how it worked and it made me angry (I still have no idea how to play it)

Honestly, I can hardly remember a time when video games weren't in my life, cuz I lived a mile out from the nearest town (which to a kid growing up was in the middle of nowhere) so I never really had many friends aside from some of the kids in and around the area, meaning I spent almost all my time playing away on ye olde gameboy. 

Oh, the memories. It's been too long.

First game and PC game I ever played was Prehistorik 2. Despite the end of DOS era, I saw that thing running without an emulator lately.

First game that got me for a long time was The Lost Vikings. It wasn't just a simple platformer, it was an adventure.

First console game I played on was the Super Nintendo in a local console shop. Getting back to emulate Donkey Kong Country 2 once in a while.

First Fire Emblem game would be the Blazing Sword. I wasn't looking really hard, and this was the first title that I found. While it was a good game, the interest came from older titles.

My first console, I bought it myself - the Playstation 2. I blame Final Fantasy X for that, but there were other interesting RPGs to play on that console. Good times.

Edited by Garlyle

First game - Dig-Dug on a Namco Plug and Play (the other 5 games were Galaxian/Pac-man/Ms.Pac-man/Bosconian/Rally-X)
N64 was my first video game console
My first videogame love would have to be Banjo Kazooie, but Roller Coaster Tycoon and Majesty came like the same year or early the next year.
My first Fire Emblem game would be Sacred Stones
My first MMORPG would be World of Tanks
My first handheld console is the Gameboy Color
My first PC game is King's Quest

The first game I did speedruns in was Monaco:What's Yours is Mine

The first arcade game I did a 1CC was 1943:Battle for midway

The first time I deleted a sibling's save file was for Cubivore

For first heartbreak, that dishonor does to Intelligent Systems/Nintendo/Advance Wars.
First game I played that I hated and was super disappointed in is Shadow Dragon.
First mature game I played is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
First racing game is Gran Turismo 4. Gran Turismo is the only racing game series that I actually like.
First openworld sandbox is Runescape too. If you do not count MMOs, then Skyrim.
First game I prefer watching people play over playing myself is Shadow of the Colossus. I quite frankly suck at that game, and watching my friend play is so much less frustrating.
First Pokémon game is Emerald. First RPG too if we do not Fire Emblem as an RPG game.
First building game would be Roblox. Still my favorite building game.
First cheap, browser "RTS" game (Back Yard Monsters, Clash of Clans, etc.) is Travian.
First RTS game is also Age of Empires III.
First hack and slash is Dynasty Warriors 4.
First FPS shooter is Call of Duty. Shortly after, I played Battlefield, and I cannot play Call of Duty anymore though since it is just so monotonous and boring. Lack of vehicles is a huge downer.
First 5* unit in Heroes is Hector. Still have him I think. He is [+Def, -HP].
First cat video game is a Friskies app, Friskies CatFishing I believe it was called. Sadly, my cat never showed much interest in the game.

18 hours ago, Anacybele said:

"Video game virginity"? Wtf?

I am practicing the art of clickbait. Although now that I think about it, maybe I should have put that in the title as a real clickbait.

16 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Gaming virginity being taken? first loves? What a kinky topic. 

I heard that lots of girls prefer nerds and geeks as they mature. We making profit rain from the skies and cause money to grow on trees. And I heard rumors that girls prefer nice guys who finish last. Just do not be that "nice" guy and finish last in another way; sloppy seconds or twentieths is just nasty unless you are into that sort of thing.

Edited by XRay

19 hours ago, Anacybele said:

but the first thing I loved doing in video games was playing as Luigi in anything I could. lol I just loved Luigi and still do. XD

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. I have such fond memories of pestering my mother to find a way to unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64 that actually worked... I was a bit of a gullible kid, so I actually went ahead and tried a bunch of those old meme videos that said to run 64 laps around the backyard statue, and other stuff like that. I must've also tried a thousand "play as Luigi" cheat codes that just painted Mario green. I'm a bit too old for the old classic consoles, so I've used emulators my whole life, if you're wondering about the codes.

Eventually, I found Toadstood 64. I was much too young to understand game hacking and editing, but following a video tutorial step by step, I was able to perform the easter egg that replaced Mario's model with Luigi. Now that was satisfying. Good times, good times.

Anyway, on topic.

My first game... I've played videogames since before pre-school, so my memories are rather fuzzy. My mother downloaded Mario games for me back then, but never official ones. I spent my early childhood playing the crappiest Mario fangames from the late 90s. You could say I was a living version of the "we have x at home" meme many years before it was a thing. Funnily enough, I have clear memories of all these fangames, whereas I cannot recall what my first real Mario games were.

Fairly certain my very first game, or at least the first one I have real memories of, was this. Looks shitty, eh? I've tried to replay it recently, just for the sake of nostalgia, but in my modern computer it fails to progress past the first level. A shame. I even refused to watch this video just so I could relive my early childhood myself. Guess I'll have to give up and just watch it one of these days. Another game I remember is Super Mario XP, which is an actually great mash-up of Mario and Castlevania that, as I found just a couple months ago, still holds up as a game. Well, if you can get past the painfully tiny screen resolution that cannot be changed. Playing through the whole game with Windows's magnifier was a magical experience.

First console I ever had was the Wii. My parents, especially my father, didn't like the idea of buying game consoles for me, believing computers to be a better investment. I agree, personally, but the problem is that, for the longest time, they bought new computers (which were still slow, mind) for themselves and gave me the older, even slower leftovers - hence why I spent all my childhood playing games older than myself on emulators. There was virtually nothing else my systems could handle. Sad, sad childhood, I tell ya. Still cry myself to sleep every night. I'm joking, obviously. Anyway, my mother hacked the Wii because it already was hard enough to get my father to agree to buy it, games on top of that would've made him furious. Please forgive my childhood crimes. For what it's worth, since 2012, the only games I've pirated are games that are no longer available for purchase, so there's that.

I got my first good computer in 2016 - took 17 years of my life to convince them that, no, dad doesn't need a brand new computer to read the newspaper. I was so hyped, I got the most taxing game I could think of on Steam, GTA V, just to enjoy pushing the thing to its limits. Still using that computer right now, haven't even updated any components. Well, I guess using crappy systems all my life's taught me not to be too needy, at least.

First game I bought for real was Luigi's Mansion. Normally my mother just downloaded games for me, but I really really wanted to have this one. She had to import it from the UK. This was before buying games online was an easy-peasy thing as it is now. It's not my favourite game ever, but it has a special spot in my heart. I have more fondness for the second game, though, as I spent many years chasing rumors of its release. I even had my parents buy me a 3DS in hopes that it would really come out there. It did, of course, and it was a great day. First game I ever preordered. Not that I preordered many games afterwards, it's not the most sensible practice.

As for the forum's titular franchise, I got into Fire Emblem a relatively short time ago, actually. Not a childhood franchise of mine, Mario (or, well, more like Luigi) held the monopoly on that. I started in maybe... 2014? 15, 16? Something along those lines, with Blazing Sword, as so many others. I fell in love instantly. I've... come to rather dislike the game with the years, but it was my entry way to so many other great(er) games, and for that I've got to thank it.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. I have such fond memories of pestering my mother to find a way to unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64 that actually worked... I was a bit of a gullible kid, so I actually went ahead and tried a bunch of those old meme videos that said to run 64 laps around the backyard statue, and other stuff like that. I must've also tried a thousand "play as Luigi" cheat codes that just painted Mario green. I'm a bit too old for the old classic consoles, so I've used emulators my whole life, if you're wondering about the codes.

Eventually, I found Toadstood 64. I was much too young to understand game hacking and editing, but following a video tutorial step by step, I was able to perform the easter egg that replaced Mario's model with Luigi. Now that was satisfying. Good times, good times.

Heh, I see! I'd always insist to my brothers that I be player 2 so I could be Luigi in games like Super Mario Bros. lol And I remember trying so so SO hard to unlock Luigi for single player modes in Mario Golf 64, but just could not beat him in the Get Character mode! I still couldn't when I was older and got the game on Wii through the shop channel. I'd come close sometimes, but still fail. At least I could still add him to multiplayer modes...in which I'd just control every character myself. XD

Edited by Anacybele

This was a pretty fun trip down memory lane, even if I am a bit rusty I have everything I can recall listed here:

First game: I’m pretty sure it was Donald’s Alphabet Chase (PC) (Would also be first PC game, and Edutainment game as well).
First console game: Duck Hunt, if I remember correctly.
First “Adult” game: Doom II.
First game I remember playing on a laptop: Either Heretic or Wing Commander.
First SNES game I played: I think it was Super Mario World, though it could be Home Alone as well.
First Genesis game I played: I think it was either Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
First Star Wars game: Either Super Star Wars on the SNES or Dark Forces.
First game to show me video games can have great stories: Full Throttle
First RPG game: Pokemon Blue Version
First game to make me think, “Wow!  Consoles can be pretty cool!”: Super Mario 64
First console I owned: Nintendo 64, first game Star Fox 64.
First Bomberman game: Bomberman 64
First game that freaked me out: Quake
First Zelda game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
First game that made me think, “I need a Playstation!”: Omega Boost
First Waifu: Tifa Lockhart
First Husbando: Even though I don’t swing that way 100%, I’d say I have a bit of a soft spot for Kuja.
First Multiplayer Party game: Rampage World Tour
First game I bought because I loved the movie: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (PC)
First stealth game to show me that stealth games can actually be fun: Assassin’s Creed
First game I bought episodically: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
First handheld device I owned: Gameboy Pocket, first game Super Mario Land.
First Collectors Edition: Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete
First game I got out of a cereal box: Chex Quest
First console game to make me think, “Wow!  Console graphics are getting even better!”: Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
First game I was proud to finally get after being unable to find it for so long: Super Smash Bros. Melee
First Fire Emblem game: Blazing Sword (Also the first FE game I loved, and OFC first FE waifu was Lyndis though a bit of a tossup between her and Tethys at the time.  First FE Husbando?  Again, not my swinging direction but I guess M!Corrin if I was forced to pick.).
First game I was so happy to finally have after the long number of delays: Star Fox Adventures
First game I remember thinking, “This looks dumb.”  Only to try it later and think, “This is pretty awesome actually.”: Animal Crossing
First game that made me think, “Huh.  People called this a bad game?  I liked it.”: Yoshi’s Story
First game that made me think, “Really? This was worth the hype?”: Indigo Prophecy
First game compilation: Final Fantasy Chronicles
First Racing game: Super Mario Kart
First Import game: Princess Crown
First hack and Slash: Dynasty Warriors 2 or 3
First Dungeon Crawler: Diablo
First RTS game: Chaos Island: The Lost World

Here's a new first for me -

First Soulslike game I actually had fun playing: Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order

Edited by Emperor_Siegfried