What character do you NOT want as a newcomer?

Perkilator

Just as the title says, you’re allowed to say what characters you DON’T want as a newcomer. And yes, I mean newcomers specifically; it can’t be a character already in the game. For me, it’s any character from:

• Bethesda: a company that has released unfinished games at full price and frequently failed to properly fix them. Then add an equally broken subscription function to Fallout 76. Oh, and in the past; they’ve apparently ripped off other developers for their work on games.
  • Blizzard: a company that prefers profit over freedom of speech.
  • EA:.........well....it's EA. But if you want some recent specifics, Fifa 2020 has been found to have aspects of Fifa 2019 inside. Solidifying the fact that you are basically buying the same game every year. Also, "Surprise mechanic" and Anthem.

Along with that, Steve and Bubsy (the former I’d make a purposefully useless Assist Trophy just so we can beat the crap out of him)

I'm gonna back up the Bethesda here. I thought of them as a garbage company before it was cool to do so. Exception for Doom Slayer, since Doom is their only untarnished IP, and that is ID Softworks anyway.

Rayman. He hasn't aged well, and there's a good reason he's been ousted within his own franchise by the Rabbids, of all things. Ubisoft has better icons now.

Sora. Without Disney stages and characters, he's just another Final Fantasy protagonist, and a bad one at that. 

Also Steve. A Minecraft stage might be fun on its own, but I'm not a fan of non-characters. I don't like the Miis either.

Edited by Etheus

I agree with both of you about Bethesda. I have never played a Bethesda game and, given their practices, I'm glad I haven't. Similarly, any character made by any series that's published by EA or Activision is a no-no for me. 

I also agree about Sora. I don't want Nintendo to have to go through the hassle of negotiating with Disney; it's bad enough that Square Enix already has to do so. 

I also agree about Steve. I like the Miis because they allow us to make our own character. Steve would just be too bland. He also wouldn't have a lot to offer gameplay-wise. 

I do not want to see Byleth; at least not by himself. If he were in the background instructing like Pokémon Trainer, then I'd be fine with it. But as a fighter, no. Fire Emblem has seven characters; all of them swordsmen, and four of them Marth semi-to-full clones. Byleth doesn't have anything he can add: Robin already has nosferatu, the Belmonts have whips, Ike already has incorporating fists into swordfighting. Byleth has nothing new. If Three Houses gets a newcomer, it should be Edelgard, Dimitri and/or Claude. 

I do not want to see Waluigi; mainly because I want to see Captain Toad instead, but also because I just don't see what Waluigi could add that he doesn't already as an assist trophy. 

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Fifa 2020 has been found to have aspects of Fifa 2019 inside. 

you don't fuckin say.

If I'd got to this before the replies I would've locked it since it's a transparent excuse to lay down some #GamerHotTakes. As it stands, stick to characters (or broader IPs). I will be watching.

Here's my opinion 

Sora.

I just don't want to have Disney mingle in this series in any way, shape, or form. I don't always agree with Jim Sterling, but his video on Kingdom Hearts as a series is 100% the same as mine. I don't like it at all

I'm cool with Doom Slayer though, since he's an iconic character, and doom helped shape the FPS as it is today

Edit: I don't want to see Steve, but I'd be cool with some Minecraft skins and a song or 2.

Edited by Captain Karnage

I do not want to see Sora or Minecraft Steve. Sora opens up too many worm boxes with the Disney ties, and Steve is just...why? I didn't even know Minecraft HAD a character until Smash speculation started. I also don't wanna see Geralt because he isn't really an original video game character. I do not want to see Byleth, or any of the Three Houses house leaders; Byleth has nothing to really contribute, and the house leaders would all seem odd without the other two and if we got another FE character than it 100% should be Lyn.

Considering the mines were Cloud, because represent the direct competition, and Joker, because i am a persona hater, there is not much they can do. Master chief for most of the same reason of Cloud, but i don't think he is very likely.

I have no problem whit Bethesda or Blizzard because i don't think any amount of bad practices will erase the value of their legacy. Nobuhiro Watsuki is a terrible human being, but this is not a reason why Kenshin does not deserve recognition.

Well damn. I see everyone's beat me to bashing the hell out of Steve, Sora, Blizzard and Bethesda. Let's try something more controversial. I do not give the slightest damn if Ghirahim, Waluigi and others remain naught but assist trophies. The only assist trophy I'd like to see break out into the fighter roll is Skull Kid, and that's because I don't like him as an assist trophy in the first place. I don't want to see roster slots wasted on Toon versions of existing characters (Toon Zelda?).

Steve and Byleth, and to some extent Sora

I'm less against the idea of Steve now since I have Banjo, but I'm still not too keen on the idea of him being Minecraft. I don't hate Minecraft (I only played it once, it didn't hook me in), but I never really liked the idea of this blocky pixelated lego man avatar as a playable character in Smash. Minecraft I feel like is one of those games that's better represented with a stage, mii costume, or an assist trophy rather than an actual character.

Byleth I just don't want to see added at all. Like, I wouldn't even be so against the idea of Byleth if it wasn't for the fact that there are several other Nintendo franchises that are way overdue for a new character like Zelda and Kirby. And even in terms of a Three Houses character, Byleth is like the most boring option compared to the other main characters. In addition to being the 100th sword fighter, there's just nothing that he has to offer that we don't already have. In terms of a whip based fighter, we already have Simon and Richter for that, and if you give him magic, you'd just get Robin and Hero again. He literally offers nothing new at all. If we have to get a Three Houses character, I'd rather it'd be Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude (my pick would be Claude) since at the very least they would offer something new that we don't currently have.

Sora is probably the character I'm most conflicted on. I really do love Kingdom Hearts and he'd be such a fun character to play as. But at the same time, there's a part of me that doesn't want him cuz I do not want Disney to be involved in Smash whatsoever. Hot take, Disney is just an awful company, and I'd rather not see their name on Smash's title screen at all

Issac / Any Golden Sun charather - I found the series to break down into boring mash A to win RPGs---- I think the game's "hoard djinn for stats or burst them for damage" is a cool mechanic up to a certain point in every game (in GS 1 about Trent) but afterwards the advantages of stats gets a little too overbearing and you can play at least the 2nd half (if not even earlier) of every game just bulldozing through. Also Mute protagonist with choice of 4 facial emotes based conversation lol.

(I don't like many assist trophy conversion ideas either) Ray Mk 1 / Saki (Sin and Punishment) MAYBE if they get a new game in their franchise on switch next year, but otherwise not even though.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Well damn. I see everyone's beat me to bashing the hell out of Steve, Sora, Blizzard and Bethesda. Let's try something more controversial. I do not give the slightest damn if Ghirahim, Waluigi and others remain naught but assist trophies. The only assist trophy I'd like to see break out into the fighter roll is Skull Kid, and that's because I don't like him as an assist trophy in the first place. I don't want to see roster slots wasted on Toon versions of existing characters (Toon Zelda?).

I agree about Ghirahim and Waluigi, and I disagree about Skull Kid. I agree that Toon Zelda wouldn't be great, but I could see her Tetra form as an interesting addition: she could use her pirate cutlass, the grappling hook, deku leaf, and basically every Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass item that Toon Link doesn't use. 

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I do not want to see Sora or Minecraft Steve. Sora opens up too many worm boxes with the Disney ties, and Steve is just...why? I didn't even know Minecraft HAD a character until Smash speculation started. I also don't wanna see Geralt because he isn't really an original video game character. I do not want to see Byleth, or any of the Three Houses house leaders; Byleth has nothing to really contribute, and the house leaders would all seem odd without the other two and if we got another FE character than it 100% should be Lyn.

42 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Byleth I just don't want to see added at all. Like, I wouldn't even be so against the idea of Byleth if it wasn't for the fact that there are several other Nintendo franchises that are way overdue for a new character like Zelda and Kirby. And even in terms of a Three Houses character, Byleth is like the most boring option compared to the other main characters. In addition to being the 100th sword fighter, there's just nothing that he has to offer that we don't already have. In terms of a whip based fighter, we already have Simon and Richter for that, and if you give him magic, you'd just get Robin and Hero again. He literally offers nothing new at all. If we have to get a Three Houses character, I'd rather it'd be Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude (my pick would be Claude) since at the very least they would offer something new that we don't currently have.

That's one reason my suggestion would be Byleth in the background as a teacher and Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude all be fighters, like Pokémon Trainer. But that's the only way I would want Three Houses characters as fighters in Ultimate. 

i can't really say there are characters i don't want to see excluding waluigi because he has less than 0% chances of being a dlc character like it or not

if i were to pick one, i think that would be steve, simply because i'm not a huge minecraft fan, but if they manage to make a good and interesting moveset for him, that would be great

oh, and of course i don't want more FE characters, i don't care who they are: if they cut people like chrom, roy, lucina (imho they don't add nothing to the roster and just work and slightly different marths) and corrin (he's different moveset-wise, but he was just a blatant marketing move, so i don't think he truly deserves his spot) in smash 6, then i'd be ok with other highly requested FE characters, such as hector or ephraim, or even micaiah, if we want to imagine a completely magic-based character (which would be very interesting, i think)

also i find it very interesting that so many of you don't want sora just because you don't like disney, that's a way of thinking i just can't understand

Edited by Yexin

I don't have a problem with Rayman, Sora, or the House Leaders. No Steve, though. Minecraft does not need anymore attention.

As far as the popular FPS character choices go, I for one would actually not be that excited for Doom Slayer. I...never actually played Doom; I'm more of a Wolfenstein guy. That said, I'm not sure how I'd feel if B.J. Blazkowicz got in. It'd be cool, sure, but he probably wouldn't offer anything more than Doom Slayer could. But regardless, I'd honestly rather see Master Chief or, hell, even someone from Destiny (probably Cayde-6).

32 minutes ago, Yexin said:

also i find it very interesting that so many of you don't want sora just because you don't like disney, that's a way of thinking i just can't understand

considering more than half the posts in this thread, including the OP, have been people calling out companies rather than characters, it's to be expected. Y'all need to chill. And I'm also in the boat where no character suggestion illicits a negative reaction from me. Even the characters I've been neutral on have surpassed my expectations since Sakurai is way better at these character designs than I could ever be.

Only one I can think of is Steve. For some reason he just comes off as uniquely unappealing to me. 

Otherwise I'm generally fine with anyone even if I don't have any personal connection with the characters or their games. Even Terry who's existence I wasn't even aware of before Smash was more of a ''meh'' then a ''booh!'' 

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

considering more than half the posts in this thread, including the OP, have been people calling out companies rather than characters, it's to be expected. Y'all need to chill. And I'm also in the boat where no character suggestion illicits a negative reaction from me. Even the characters I've been neutral on have surpassed my expectations since Sakurai is way better at these character designs than I could ever be.

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if this thread has a point other than to bash characters we don't like. I might have a few characters myself that I'd dread seeing, but I'd rather just talk about the characters I do want. That seems more productive, as then we're encouraged to discuss stuff like movesets and spirit battles. Here, the only real response options are agreement, questioning, or flat out disagreement, with not a lot of room for creative input. I think it'd be better to have a topic where we discuss specific fighter candidates, whether they'd be a good idea or bad idea.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if this thread has a point other than to bash characters we don't like. I might have a few characters myself that I'd dread seeing, but I'd rather just talk about the characters I do want. That seems more productive, as then we're encouraged to discuss stuff like movesets and spirit battles. Here, the only real response options are agreement, questioning, or flat out disagreement, with not a lot of room for creative input. I think it'd be better to have a topic where we discuss specific fighter candidates, whether they'd be a good idea or bad idea.

I've never seen another forum where absolutely everything must lend itself to in depth discussion and positivity at all times. And frankly, I think that sort of overzealous moderation is a substantial loss to these forums; it blocks out a lot of interesting discussion on the grounds of staying nebulously "constructive." Sometimes, a short answer is interesting and reasonable negativity is fun to discuss.

And I'm not even talking about actual toxic topics like religion or politics. If this type of moderation were limited to such subjects, that would be understandable. 

That said, I see some inherent danger of fights on this specific topic because one man's trash is another man's treasure. I quite explicitly held back my personal actual most unwanted character because she is so overwhelmingly wanted by several posters here. Not that they afford me the same courtesy (why must you knock my best boi, Geralt).

Anyway... off of my soapbox and back on topic.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I can only speak for myself, but nothing I said included any type of anger whatsoever, and broadening the scope to companies isn't at all unreasonable or off topic. There are entire gaming companies that simply aren't producing relevant output or are tonally wrong for the game, and it's a good way to mass oppose characters.

That said, I'm less opposed to entire companies than some here. I'm willing to make the Doom exception since he's a legitimate genre icon. For EA, I would happily see Shephard (male and FemShep) added. For Activision, Crash and Spyro. 

As far as "no Sora cuz Disney," I think there are legitimate reasons for this that go beyond licensing issues or "Disney bad." In order to properly represent Sora and make him anything more than another Final Fantasy character, you need Donald and Goofy at a bare minimum. This means including non-video game characters in Smash, even if only in a non-playable function. And if that disqualifies Goku and Geralt, why wouldn't it disqualify Sora, Donald, and Goofums McGee, third of his name, and lord of the seven kingdoms?

Edited by Etheus

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I can only speak for myself, but nothing I said included any type of anger whatsoever, and broadening the scope to companies isn't at all unreasonable or off topic. There are entire gaming companies that simply aren't producing relevant output or are tonally wrong for the game, and it's a good way to mass oppose characters.

Then go and make a thread titled "Companies who don't deserve a Smash rep". Because that has been the premiere justification I've seen expressed. I'm not policing people's "positivity" I just think repeating tired talking points about the industry is inherently off topic for smash speculations. This is a game that celebrates games. This thread is like people who used to say "God I HOPE Snake doesn't return because Fuck Konami". Where are they now? Shouldn't they have boycotted Smash or something?

Even I made some smarmy jokes of my own when the SNK thing was leaked, saying "oh boy, SNK's most relevant character is coming to Smash: a Pachinko machine" but I retracted the venom once Terry was announced. Because my feelings about a company that's clearly in a state of transition aren't worth expressing - especially when it clamps down on the fun other people can be having.

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Then go and make a thread titled "Companies who don't deserve a Smash rep". Because that has been the premiere justification I've seen expressed. I'm not policing people's "positivity" I just think repeating tired talking points about the industry is inherently off topic for smash speculations. This is a game that celebrates games. This thread is like people who used to say "God I HOPE Snake doesn't return because Fuck Konami". Where are they now? Shouldn't they have boycotted Smash or something?

Even I made some smarmy jokes of my own when the SNK thing was leaked, saying "oh boy, SNK's most relevant character is coming to Smash: a Pachinko machine" but I retracted the venom once Terry was announced. Because my feelings about a company that's clearly in a state of transition aren't worth expressing - especially when it clamps down on the fun other people can be having.

Honestly, this just comes across as being mad that other people might be mad. *Shrugs*

And you make that smarmy remark about pachinko machines. It's not toxic or joykilling. It's funny. Humor exists as medication for all of the awful things in the world. It sucks that Konami isn't relevant, because they used to be pillars of the industry, and sarcsstic comments are a pretty chill way of coping with the loss of franchises that produced icons of the industry. No one's mad about Snake or the Belmonts, by the way, because they are icons who deserve it, even if Konami themselves don't. They're reminders of a better time. And as much as one might (RIGHTLY) say that EA doesn't deserve a rep, I imagine that their reaction to a classic Bioware rep would fare better than their reaction to a FIFA one.

But, to add some warmth to what effectively feels like a eulogy, I would say that there is always hope. I remember a time not so long ago when Capcom couldn't do anything right. But now they've had one hell of a couple years and can do no wrong. Maybe we'll see the same someday for Konami, Bethesda, and EA... well, not EA.

I dont think there is anything wrong with expressing dislikes towards certain possibilities, not that it's right being outright negative or anything. Just expressing your beliefs in a respectful manner is perfectly fine.

Cloud can be considered a "eulogy character", in a sense. Square can put out "good" gameplay-FFs, but their last mainline FF attempts at storytelling- XIII and XV, ended up being something of fiascoes with top notch presentation. Not to call XII a good story, it doesn't seem at all that way, and FFX is no masterpiece either in retrospect, or even FF Tactics. And yet, for an era or three, Final Fantasy captivated the world with both storytelling backed by presentation and gameplay.

As someone who doesn't know who they'd consider as "fitting in Smash" that can be added, I won't cast judgement on who can't be either. Even if I don't see Sora b/c legal hurdles getting through, and even if I can't visualize *insert nitty-gritty Western gaming character* blending in, I won't say they shouldn't be added.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

And you make that smarmy remark about pachinko machines. It's not toxic or joykilling. It's funny. Humor exists as medication for all of the awful things in the world. It sucks that Konami isn't relevant, because they used to be pillars of the industry, and sarcsstic comments are a pretty chill way of coping with the loss of franchises that produced icons of the industry. No one's mad about Snake or the Belmonts, by the way, because they are icons who deserve it, even if Konami themselves don't. They're reminders of a better time. And as much as one might (RIGHTLY) say that EA doesn't deserve a rep, I imagine that their reaction to a classic Bioware rep would fare better than their reaction to a FIFA one.

Well, if other people were as transcendentally hilarious as I could be, then maybe it'd be alright. But people who hear jokes often don't take them as a release of frustration like the joke teller is. This is no comedy club, after all. I didn't want my abstract, unwarranted hate of SNK to trickle down to other folks bashing on Terry fans, repeating my hot takes but now no longer in the context of a joke. At the end of the day, Terry is a cooler character than a pachinko machine for Smash, but somebody who hates SNK like I did (or just likes to be your neighborhood contrarian troll) isn't always inclined to see the difference. 

Honestly, this just comes across as being mad that other people might be mad. *Shrugs*

Then I concede that I can't convince you of my perspecitve. But note this thread pretty much opened with a mod warning of precisely what I'm talking about.

Steve - Aesthetically he would just stick out too much.

Waluigi - The character himself doesn't bother me, but his legions of fans are so obnoxious that I can't stand mention of him.

Shadow the Hedgehog - I actually do like Shadow as a character, and his powers are diverse enough to have a fully unique moveset. I just feel that there's a 99.99% chance that if he does get in, he'll just be an echo fighter. If Shadow is at minimum Sonic's equivalent of Luigi (meaning roughly 50% of their moves are unique to each other), then I'd be fine with him.