What are your top games of the decade? Of all time?

Fabulously Olivier

With the decade nearing its end, what were your favorite games of the 2010's? How do they stack up to your favorite games of all time? What do your choices say about you?

My top ten favorite games of the decade:

10. Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)
9. Path of Exile (2013)
8. Spider Man (2018)
7. Batman Arkham City (2011)
6. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
5. God of War (2018)
4. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
3. The Witcher 3 (2015)
2. Persona 5 (2017)
1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)

Honorable mentions: NieR: Automata, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, Smash Bros. Ultimate

My top ten games of all time:

10. Tales of Vesperia (2008)
9. Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
8. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
7. God of War (2018)
6. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
5. The Witcher 3 (2015)
4. Persona 5 (2017)
3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)
2. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
1. Guild Wars 1 (2005)

My thoughts:

It's pretty clear from my list that I place a high value on roleplaying games and linear story-driven action adventure games. While a vast majority of my favorite games are from the past decade, that really only seems to apply to the singleplayer market. Online games aren't giving me the depth they used to.

Also, my favorite years for gaming overall seem to have been 2018 and 2005. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
  3. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
  4. Mad Max (2015)
  5. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (2018)
  6. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  7. God of War (2018)
  8. XCOM Enemy Unknown (2012)
  9. Dead Rising 2 (2010)
  10. Shovel Knight (2014)

Honorable Mention to Outer Worlds (2019) because I need a second, more thorough playthrough to really soak in the game. It'd be on this list for sure, but probably anywhere between the number 1 and number 5 slots and I couldn't dare try to decide now. I didn't realize my love for New Vegas until a couple years, a few road trips across the real Mojave, and four or so playthroughs later. I'm not going to expand on games older than this decade and where I'd rank them, because the majority of ones that come to mind I really haven't played during this decade, and I have an irrational fear I won't love them as much if I do go and replay them.

Part of the difficulty of evaluating games in the early 2010s is noticing they're...kind of the same games we play now but less features, don't control as well, and are less immersive. Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry 3 were big deals at the time, but both franchises have been sequelized so thoroughly that they all blend into this kind of "Ubisoft open world game" that everybody is long sick of. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Order changes based on my mood, of course; especially for the all-time list most of the games are very close together.

This decade:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2. Fire Emblem Fates
3. Kid Icarus: Uprising
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Undertale
6. Hyrule Warriors
7. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
8. Nier: Automata
9. Tales of Berseria
10. Mario Kart 8

I didn't realize how much this decade had shifted over to me being a Nintendo fan.

All time:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Fire Emblem Fates
6. Super Mario Bros. 2
7. Mega Man 3
8. Metroid Fusion
9. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
10. Kid Icarus: Uprising

So many honourable mentions... in addition to the ones from the previous list which I won't repeat here, there's Super Metroid, Mega Man X8 (also MM2, MM9), various Ace Attorney games (Justice for All probably ranks highest), Order of Ecclesia, Super Mario Bros. 3, Devil May Cry, F-Zero X, Wild Arms 4, Suikoden 3, Final Fantasy 6 (also 13 and 5), Valkyrie Profile, and Chrono Trigger.

I used to have so many Final Fantasy games on this list, but Fire Emblem has definitely replaced it as my pet series.

And it's pretty obvious that RPGs (including SRPGs) and platformers are my favourite genres, for all that there's a few other things mixed in there.

Also here's the biggest big deals according to the me from ten years ago I just visited via time machine.

• Shenmue 1 and 2 getting re-released on modern consoles - yes this is a bigger deal than Shenmue 3.
  • Capcom destroys all their major franchises, then salvages them in the last two years like a phoenix rising from the ashes. Phoenix Wright, incidentally, fairly unchanged.
  • Nintendo's Virtual Console only gets worse until functionally dying off
    • on that note, paying for online on consoles becomes the norm on all three systems
  • Square Enix's video game output manages to get slower, but yes, Kingdom Hearts 3 eventually happens.
  • There was a point, during the 3DS and Wii U generation, in which you could play every Zelda game (sans the CD-I games) on the current Nintendo hardware, and nobody noticed nor cared
  • Kirby not only returns but his new golden age spans the entire decade and still hasn't stopped.
    • Metroid has only had two main games released this decade. One very controversial, the other an almost totally forgotten remake of 2.
    • Star Fox is in even worse shape, only seeing a release of TWO remakes of Star Fox 64 and nothing else.
    • Pokemon is...well...I didn't have the heart to tell him. Instead "Pokemon is Pokemon", which is true enough.
    • Fire Emblem did not die after Shadow Dragon
      • in fact just at the end we finally got a game with units who punch. Late, but Promising!
  • Bioshock and Mass Effect are not the most profitable franchises of the decade. Far from it.
  • There are several, extremely successful MMO games that are essentially Borderlands without the narrative
  • There are actual discussions surrounding the questions "are games too hard?" and "are games supposed to be fun?"
  • A God of War game made people cry
  • Mother 3 did not get released, but Mother 1 did???
  • We still don't know what the Wii Vitality Sensor is or was.
  • The first unironically good video game based movies were released, and they were Rampage and something called Detective Pikachu 
  • Movie based games almost totally disappear (at least from the console space), AND they actually start making high quality licensed games with original narratives like Spider-Man and Jedi Fallen Order
Edited by Glennstavos

Hoo boy, 2010 was so long ago it seems...

Of the decade:
10. A Link Between Worlds
9. Super Mario 3D World
8. Fantasy Life
7. Skyward Sword
6. Pokemon White 2
5./4. Awakening/Three Houses
3. Minecraft
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
1. Breath of the Wild

Honorable mentions can go to Mario Kart 7, my favorite Mario Kart aside from the 64, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was epic when I watched a walkthrough before I had a Switch but wasn't as enjoyable when I played it (though it was still good!).

Awakening and Three Houses are tied because they're in an odd state; I love both of them, but I would say Three Houses is a better Fire Emblem game, while I still have a bit more attachment to Awakening. Maybe once I finish the Black Eagle and Church routes that one will come out on top (or maybe I won't enjoy it as much.).

All time, oh man...

10. Mario Kart 64
9. Pokemon White 2
8. Drawn to Life
7./6. Awakening/Three Houses
5. Minecraft
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
3. PMD: Explorers of Time
2./1. Ocarina of Time/Breath of the Wild

Ocarina and Breath are tied because, well, they're both amazing.

It is quite evident here that I'm a big Nintendo fanboy; I always have been and always will be. Most of these games are also very story driven, which makes sense as story has always been first choice in any media.

I'm glad so many people here have put Three Houses as one of their favorites, since I really like that game and was not expecting it to be this good...and I think I'll do the same honestly.

10. Shovel knight
9. Hollow knight
8. Sonic adventure 2
7. Metroid Fusion
6. Sonic mania

5. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Metroid prime trilogy
3. Fire emblem Radiant Dawn
2. Fire emblem Three Houses
1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is very special for me, as it was the first game in a very long time I'd actually completed, at a time where I was buying games left and right in a desperate attempt to please myself. It's also REALLY good imo. Once I got to chapter 4 at Mor Ardain, I was hooked. However, the fact is that the game never stops getting better and better and once I reached the end, it's pretty much the best game I've ever played.

This theme might of had something to do with it...

Edited by Dinar87

This Decade

1. Persona 5 (PS3)
  2. The Messenger (Switch)
  3. Sonic Mania (Switch)
  4. Shovel Knight (Switch)
  5. Mario Kart 8 (Switch)
  6. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)
  7. Pokken Tournament (Switch)
  8. Trails of Cold Steel 1+2 (PS3)
  9. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Honorable Mentions: Mario Maker (Wii U/Switch), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Fire Emblem Three Houses (Switch) and the Blazblue series (PS3/Switch)

All Time

1. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 (N64)
  2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  3. Megaman X1 (SNES)
  4. Super Mario World (SNES)
  5. Super Metroid (SNES)
  6. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
  7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis)
  8. Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita) 
  9. Persona 5 (PS3)
  10. The Messenger (Switch)

Honorable Mentions: Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door (GC), Earthbound (SNES) and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

Decade:

1. Dark Souls (2011)
  2. Dragon's Dogma (2012)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
  5. Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
  6. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
  7. Persona 5 (2017)
  8. Final Fantasy XIV (2010 technically, but it was garbo until 2013)
  9. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  10. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)

All time:

1. Dragon Warrior/Quest VII (2001)
  2. Psychonauts (2005)
  3. Resident Evil 3 (1999)/Resident Evil (2002) - I ping-pong between which I like more
  4. Final Fantasy: Tactics (1997)
  5. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (1999)
  6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)
  8. Dark Souls (2011)
  9. Mass Effect (2007)
  10. Xenogears (1998)

Tried to restrict entries in my "All times" to just one per series, or else like 3 games would have been Final Fantasy titles, two would have been Dragon Quest titles, and two would have been Resident Evils.

Clearly I have a bit of a bias towards RPGs.

Also I always knew @Glennstavos was a man of exquisite taste. Lots of overlap in our Best of the Decade.

Edited by Slumber

This decade and of all time are the same list for me, basically:

1. Megadimension Neptunia VII
2. Nights of Azure/Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
3. Tales of Berseria
4. Atelier Lulua - The Scion of Arland
5. Shining Resonance Refrain
6. Fire Emblem Three Houses
7. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth trilogy
8. Stella Glow
9. Persona 5
10. Tales of Xillia/Tales of Xillia 2
11. Bravely Default/Bravely Second
12. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
13. Fairy Fencer f: Advent Dark Force
14. Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
15. 7th Dragon III Code:VFD

Honorable mentions: Okami, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, Atelier Sophie - The Alchemist and the Mysterious Book, Atelier Rorona - The Alchemist of Arland, Shadow of the Colossus, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Warriors All-Stars, Tales of the Abyss, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky, Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs

I did say I was the guy who likes obscure JRPGs, wasn't I?

Edited by DragonFlames
added some honorable mentions

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Also here's the biggest big deals according to the me from ten years ago I just visited via time machine.

• Shenmue 1 and 2 getting re-released on modern consoles - yes this is a bigger deal than Shenmue 3.
  • Capcom destroys all their major franchises, then salvages them in the last two years like a phoenix rising from the ashes. Phoenix Wright, incidentally, fairly unchanged.
  • Nintendo's Virtual Console only gets worse until functionally dying off
    • on that note, paying for online on consoles becomes the norm on all three systems
  • Square Enix's video game output manages to get slower, but yes, Kingdom Hearts 3 eventually happens.
  • There was a point, during the 3DS and Wii U generation, in which you could play every Zelda game (sans the CD-I games) on the current Nintendo hardware, and nobody noticed nor cared
  • Kirby not only returns but his new golden age spans the entire decade and still hasn't stopped.
    • Metroid has only had two main games released this decade. One very controversial, the other an almost totally forgotten remake of 2.
    • Star Fox is in even worse shape, only seeing a release of TWO remakes of Star Fox 64 and nothing else.
    • Pokemon is...well...I didn't have the heart to tell him. Instead "Pokemon is Pokemon", which is true enough.
    • Fire Emblem did not die after Shadow Dragon
      • in fact just at the end we finally got a game with units who punch. Late, but Promising!
  • Bioshock and Mass Effect are not the most profitable franchises of the decade. Far from it.
  • There are several, extremely successful MMO games that are essentially Borderlands without the narrative
  • There are actual discussions surrounding the questions "are games too hard?" and "are games supposed to be fun?"
  • A God of War game made people cry
  • Mother 3 did not get released, but Mother 1 did???
  • We still don't know what the Wii Vitality Sensor is or was.
  • The first unironically good video game based movies were released, and they were Rampage and something called Detective Pikachu 
  • Movie based games almost totally disappear (at least from the console space), AND they actually start making high quality licensed games with original narratives like Spider-Man and Jedi Fallen Order

I'd add FFXV Kingsglaive to the unironically good vidya game moves. It's actually better than the game itself.

Top 5 of the decade. I'm doing just top 5 since it's way easier for me to decide whereas 6-10 is kinda all over the place. 

• 5. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (2016)
  • 4. Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)
  • 3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
  • 2. Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)
  • 1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017) 

Torna ~ The Golden Country (2018) isn't on the list but for simplicities sake, i'd put it together with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 

While we're at it, Top 5 of 2019 

• 5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • 4. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX
  • 3. Atelier Ryza
  • 2. Atelier Lulua
  • 1. Astral Chain

And finally, my Top 5 of all time

• 5. Majora's Mask (both original and remake)
  • 4. Xenoblade Chronicles
  • 3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • 2. Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • 1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

As you can see, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are bolded. These are the only games on this entire list that i've awarded the honor of being a 10/10.

Top 10 Games of the Decade... This'll be just a bit tricky, as there are still several games made this decade that I want to play but I haven't yet. Here's my list out of the games I've played so far (in no particular order):

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I played the Wii U version, and it is not only an excellent The Legend of Zelda game, but it is an excellent foundation for good The Legend of Zelda games going forward. It definitely has its issues, but the game still manages to be great regardless. Honestly, looking back, my biggest issue with it would probably be that the Wii U version feels dumbed-down; it feels like the menu and quick-select systems were originally made to incorporate the Wii U Controller's touch screen, but after also making the game for the Switch, they removed that system so the Wii U version wouldn't be superior. 
  2. Shadow of the Colossus Remastered: I admit that I'm cheating a little by including a remake of a game that wasn't made in this decade, but I never played the original SOTC so it counts as a game of this decade for me. This is a truly excellent game. I'm sure everything good I could say about it has already been said over a decade ago. 
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses: I honestly still have yet to even complete my first playthrough of this game, but I'm going to include it here because it's been so good. I'm glad that Fire Emblem survived, but after being disappointed by Awakening, Fates and Echoes, I'm so glad to see a fire Emblem game that's more creative, has really good worldbuilding and very interesting characters. I really hope that the next Fire Emblem game also goes in its own direction, but uses a lot of what Three Houses has built. 
  4. Super Mario 3D World: This was just a really good Mario game all-around. The level design and sheer variety is truly something, the new power-ups like the double-cherry were really creative and interesting, and of course, the Captain Toad mini-games were absolutely fantastic. 
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles X: As with every Xenoblade game I've played, I both love it and am extremely torn over it. There's a lot that I really like, and a lot that really bugs me. But there is no doubt that this game was very impressive. The open world was fantastic not only as a technical achievement, but it was also great to explore. As much as I dislike that the combat revolves around active abilities with cooldowns, I absolutely love the idea of carrying both a ranged weapon and a melee weapon and alternating between them based on the situation. I similarly also really enjoyed Skells despite the issues I have with their combat system. One part that still really stands out to me is the chapter where you fight the Zu Pharg: a truly massive mecha that moves across Sylvalum while you fight it, and the fight doesn't have any lag or other issues. It is a truly remarkable feat all on its own that makes for an amazing boss fight. 
  6. Super Smash Bros. 4
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  8. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  10. Pokemon: Omega Ruby

1. Xenoblade2/Torna: I really enjoyed the flow of these two games, more leaning towards Torna mostly because of gameplay, but 2 is still just as amazing. Overall I felt like everywhere I explored felt special, and didn't feel like I had to do it, I wanted to.

2.  Super Smash Bros. PM. This quickly became my favorite, even though i'm not a huge melee fan, I enjoy PM a lot. Amazing alts, great interface, characters are actually fun to play as and are inspired a lot from games from their own series.

3. Fire Emblem Awakening. I put so many hours into this game, easily tops as my most played FE, overall well done in my opinion.

4. Kingdom Hearts 1-2. I like KH 1 and 2 equally so there really isn't a preference here, I think they have the best gameplay out of them all though. Special shoutout to COM, though, I really liked the card system.

5. Dark Cloud 2. Very simple, yet very enjoyable system, the whole idea just really sticks to me.

Not listed in any particular order, really, and overall listed, of course.

Of the Decade:

1- Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

3- Persona 5

4- Super Smash Bros Ultimate

5- Dragon Ball Fighterz

6- Fire Emblem: Three Houses

7- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

8- Injustice 2

9- Astral Chain

10- Blazblue: Crosstag Battle

Of all time:

1- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

3- Xenoblade Chronicles 2

4- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

5- Persona 5

6- Kirby's Return to Dreamland

7- Punch-Out Wii

8- Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

9- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

10- Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Decade

Forza Horizon (2012) (Bless the whole sub-series, but playtime for personal lists)

Overcooked 2 (2018) 

Monaco : What's Yours is Mine (2013)

Stephen's Sausage Roll (2016)

Ace Combat 7 (2019)

World of Tanks (2010)

Halo Reach (2010)

Fifa 16 (2015) 

Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

Spider Man (2018)

All Time

Roller Coaster Tycoon (1999)

Worms Armageddon (1999)

Mario Tennis (2000)

Puyo Puyo Tsu (1994) Playtime I go PPT > GBA > Champions >Tsu > Fever - but it's the Tsu ruleset to the physics that I always use and it is fun to fire it up via 3DS mostly.

Battle for Wesnoth (2005) 

Pokémon (1998)

Wizardry 8 (2001)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995)

Banjo Kazooie (1998)

Doctor Lunatic: Supreme With Cheese (1998)

All time hurts - so many great couch multiplayer games I still play to this day, I could have weighed grade school games higher (Creatures and Majesty), then Wesnoth/Pokémon are just there because of their undeniable hold over my high-school years. I also want to meme and Puzzle game master race (mostly to give PlayStation its just dues) but that's not a "your' list. 

My modern games - Overcooked 2 and Monaco are actual Multiplayer crack - Fifa/Call of Duty / Halo - for me represented like a throwback to multiplayer games you could play with strangers without having to teach them the game - it's why I almost put things like NBA Jam / wrestling / Bomberman on my All time list 

Will Update Soon

My top ten favorite games of the decade:

10. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
9. God of War (2018)
8. Dark Souls 3 (2016)
7. Uncharted 4 A Thiefs End (2016)
6. Tales of Xillia (2013) 
5. Persona 5 (2017)
4. Bloodborne (2015)
3. Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019)
2. Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception (2011)
1. The Last of Us (2013) 

Honorable mentions: Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire emblem Shadow of Valentia, Project X Zone, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Ni No Kuni Wrath of the white witch/Revenent Kingdom

My top ten games of all time:

10. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (2009)
8. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
6. Tales of Symphonia (2003)
5. Tales of Vesperia (2008)
3. Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception (2011)
2. The Last of Us (2013)
1. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (2007)

Honorable Mentions: Eternal Sonata, 

Decade

1. Super Mario Maker
  2. Splatoon
  3. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
  4. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
  5. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
  6. Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  8. Animal Crossing New Leaf
  9. Fire Emblem Awakening
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3

All Time

1. Super Mario 64
  2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest
  3. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
  4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  5. Super Mario Maker
  6. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
  7. Splatoon
  8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations
  9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  10. Resident Evil 4

I always find such things hard to answer. An entire decade can trigger an unfortunate combination of nostalgia and recency bias. 

In no particular order it might be.

Kid Icarus Uprising 
Persona 5
Warriors Orochi 3
Breath of the Wild
Nier Automata
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade Chronicles 2+Torna
Either Smash Bros Ultimate or WII-U.
The Witcher III

A top 10 favorites of all time is something I can't even begin to consider. I honestly wouldn't know 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I can try to come up with these lists, yeah! But these are in no particular order.

Top 10 of the Decade
Luigi's Mansion 3
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Yoshi's Woolly World
Planet Coaster
Pokemon Sun and Ultra Sun

Top 10 of all Time
Luigi's Mansion 3
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Pokemon Platinum

29 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I can try to come up with these lists, yeah! But these are in no particular order.

Top 10 of the Decade
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Yoshi's Woolly World
Planet Coaster
Pokemon Sun and Ultra Sun

Top 10 of all Time
Luigi's Mansion 3
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Pokemon Platinum

I wonder what your favorite game company is, lol.

6 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I wonder what your favorite game company is, lol.

So what if I only really play Nintendo? I don't see what's funny?

Edited by Anacybele