Favorite main character dynamic

NekoKnight

Since @Icelerate brought it up in another thread, I wanted to ask the question to the rest of Serenes.

What group of lords (or main characters who interact with the lords) have the best dynamic? This isn't about how great an individual is, rather how multiple characters interact and bounce off of each other. I'm probably not going to surprise anyone when I say that the Blazing trio have the best dynamic, in my opinion. Eliwood acts as the classic hero, noble, selfless and not a stranger to softer emotions. Hector has a cavalier approach to life, is aggressive towards enemies and has difficulty facing his emotions. Lyn is determined and proud, wearing her emotions on her sleeve. Together they strive towards a common goal, developing their friendship as they go along while being distinct in how they deal with things in life.

What do you think? What characters did you most enjoy together?

I also agree with your picks of the FE7 lords and Micaiah/Sothe. I think Micaiah's dynamic with Pelleas is interesting as well and is an inversion of the male lord/princess relationship we see in other FE games. Micaiah becomes the pillar of support for Pelleas while Pelleas in turn motivates Micaiah to take up more responsibility over time despite having a natural aversion to getting a leadership position due to living a life of solitude. The kindness Micaiah shows Pelleas despite his faults is endearing and Pelleas' sincerity moving Micaiah to take action is also endearing. 

One relationship I find overrated is the Three Houses lords relationship with Byleth. Since Byleth doesn't speak, it's hard to get invested into their relationship with the lord. Edelgard's character arc relies on her love story with Byleth as a result one may think she doesn't have a character arc because it relies on an almost non character to move. 

41 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

One relationship I find overrated is the Three Houses lords relationship with Byleth. Since Byleth doesn't speak, it's hard to get invested into their relationship with the lord. Edelgard's character arc relies on her love story with Byleth as a result one may think she doesn't have a character arc because it relies on an almost non character to move. 

Byleth has something going with their emotions starting to awaken beneath their usual stoicism in the first half of the story, but after that, they don't really have any character specific drive; they just tag along with whatever the main lord is doing. The same can be said for most Avatar supports as well. Most of them are almost monologues from Byleth's support partner with Byleth just replying with common sense answers. Byleth doesn't really have any strong character traits that make me say "They work especially well with this character because..." All of the lords need a shoulder to lean on but their bond with Byleth isn't special for filling that role. Anyone who steadfastly supported them would have done the job.

Byleth is an Avatar in its purest state so that's to be expected.

In regards to Edelgard, her character arc is certainly...subtle. She's a more complete person with Byleth there but again, it's kind of a yes/no box to tick rather than the result of her character specific interactions with Byleth.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm inclined to say Ike and Micaiah, and Edelgard and Dimitri because I really enjoy the more antagonistic approach. 

Spoiler

Edelgard and Dimitri talk too little especially during the academy phase, but I really like their shared history and star-cross'd lovers vibe they've got going on. 

Hector and Eliwood have a nice bromance support. 

I think Roy has the worst of it. He has no one to really interact with outside of Merlinus, and those interactions are one of the worst aspects of that game. 

6 hours ago, Icelerate said:

No Merlinus and Roy is where it's at. 

Marth and Chris beats it 😄 

But otherwise definitely Blazing Sword. Can't beat strength in numbers. Rather than just one lord talking to his boring adviser one lord talking to another lord its three lords bouncing off each other. 

Lyn is the third wheel, but I will echo that I like Eliwood and Hector. Hector does give a little vigor through contrast to Eliwood. Having someone on the surface far worse a character than him, let Eliwood be a little more free to be not quite so mild.

I did kinda like Holmes and Shigen too, since it is of fairly recently memory for me, though Holmes and Katri is pretty dang bad.

I find Seliph-Lewyn lacking, because Seliph is so safe a lord, and Lewyn's personality plummeted in Gen 2.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

My absolute favourite would have to be Ike and Elincia in the NA localization of Path of Radiance. Every bit of it is absolutely fantastic. The amount of chemistry (romantic or otherwise) between the two of them is truly something; that something as subtle as Ike referring to Princess Elincia as "Elincia" during his angry rant at Sanaki is able to convey so much about how close the two of them have become over the course of their journey (It's no wonder that Ranulf seems to ship them). Their interactions also do a great job of conveying how much the both of them grow as characters over the course of the game, with it being more pronounced for Elincia as Ike is essentially a catalyst for her character development. 

Other dynamics that I like include Micaiah and Sothe. I like how they each act as each other's emotional support and the one that the other confides in. I especially like how Sothe is a fan of Ike because Ike inspired him, while Micaiah starts off as really not a fan because she and most of Daein blame him for how Daein ended up after the Mad King's War. I especially enjoy how their disagreement over this leads to what is probably the funniest line in Radiant Dawn:

Nailah:
“We would be grateful. By all means, let’s travel together. But why go to Crimea? Why not travel directly to Gallia?”

Sothe:
“Entering Gallia by yourselves would be nearly impossible. The man you need to get you into Gallia actually resides in Crimea. That man, Ike, is in contact with King Caineghis and his advisors. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the man you need.”

Micaiah:
“Right. Lord Ike, hero of the Crimean Liberation, leader of the Greil Mercenaries, and father of Sothe’s children…”

4 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm inclined to say Ike and Micaiah

Hi yes, can we discuss this because I haven't seen anyone else bring this up and I really enjoyed it too. They don't interact too much through Radiant Dawn (which is a crying shame they're the two main lords what are you doing FE?!) but the interactions they do have are frankly amazing and people don't talk about it enough.

50 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Micaiah:
“Right. Lord Ike, hero of the Crimean Liberation, leader of the Greil Mercenaries, and father of Sothe’s children…”

I want the Tellius games remade with voice acting specifically so I can hear this line voiced. That's the whole reason, right there. Well, that and the current voice acting in those games is... bad at best.

Personally I really like Dimitri with Felix, Sylvain, and Dedue. For entirely different reasons with all three of them but Dimitri's support with Sylvain is hilarious and no one can change my mind. Edelgard with Dorothea is also super good, and Claude with just about anyone from his house is good but I found I really liked his supports with Petra.

12 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Hi yes, can we discuss this because I haven't seen anyone else bring this up and I really enjoyed it too. They don't interact too much through Radiant Dawn (which is a crying shame they're the two main lords what are you doing FE?!) but the interactions they do have are frankly amazing and people don't talk about it enough.

Yeah, and their battle dialogue is very easy to miss, which is a shame becasue I find it very interesting. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

My absolute favourite would have to be Ike and Elincia in the NA localization of Path of Radiance. Every bit of it is absolutely fantastic. The amount of chemistry (romantic or otherwise) between the two of them is truly something; that something as subtle as Ike referring to Princess Elincia as "Elincia" during his angry rant at Sanaki is able to convey so much about how close the two of them have become over the course of their journey (It's no wonder that Ranulf seems to ship them). Their interactions also do a great job of conveying how much the both of them grow as characters over the course of the game, with it being more pronounced for Elincia as Ike is essentially a catalyst for her character development. 

This, yeah. The localization did much better than the Japanese, from what I've seen. They just feel more...robotic in Japanese, I think. It also helps that I ship these two though. lol

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I especially enjoy how their disagreement over this leads to what is probably the funniest line in Radiant Dawn:

Nah, I say funniest line in RD is Shinon's tree in a skirt thing to Gatrie. No contest. That one gets me every damn time. LOL

Claude - I love Claude based on his character and how he can relate to some of the students in the Golden Deer(Marianne is his queen) also because he one of the first lords of color it's kind of nice to see someone of my skin color.

Micaiah - At first I thought of Micaiah as this soft spoken female lord but this very line made me love her even more, and as you progressed through RD she showed resolve

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I personally don't get why anyone found that line funny. I thought it was dumb. And part of the poor writing I thought Micaiah got.

Literally, my initial reaction to that line was "...wtf, what kind of dumb line is that."

Then again, for some reason my sense of humor always seems to be different than others. No one seems to laugh at what I do and vice versa.

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I personally don't get why anyone found that line funny. I thought it was dumb. And part of the poor writing I thought Micaiah got.

Literally, my initial reaction to that line was "...wtf, what kind of dumb line is that."

Then again, for some reason my sense of humor always seems to be different than others. No one seems to laugh at what I do and vice versa.

I guess that is part of the charm; it came from nowhere taking advantage of how Sothe was talking so much about xD

BTW, the line in japanese shared a similar sentiment, just without the added spiciness the Localizations likes to do (instead, it was a thing of contexts and word choice as far as I remember), the original line would be taken as too passive aggressive if it was transcribed literally without context.

6 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I want the Tellius games remade with voice acting specifically so I can hear this line voiced. That's the whole reason, right there. Well, that and the current voice acting in those games is... bad at best.

I kind-of liked Greil's voice acting in Path of Radiance. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it wasn't bad. And The Black Knight's echo-ey voice wouldn't be so bad if it was just a bit easier to understand what he was saying. 

6 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I agree; Ike and Micaiah don't interact much, but what they do have is pretty good. I especially like how Micaiah begins to see why Ike was such an inspiration to Sothe, and Ike notices that the way in which Micaiah and Sothe care about each other is definitely not that of a brother-and-sister (as someone with a sister, I agree with Ike's assessment of the nature of Sothe of Micaiah's relationship). 

@EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen For some reason, even though you're quoting something I said, the quote tag says, "Silver-Haired Maiden said" even though Silver-Haired Maiden was quoting me. 

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

This, yeah. The localization did much better than the Japanese, from what I've seen. They just feel more...robotic in Japanese, I think. It also helps that I ship these two though. lol

Nah, I say funniest line in RD is Shinon's tree in a skirt thing to Gatrie. No contest. That one gets me every damn time. LOL

I haven't read the original Japanese script of Path of Radiance, so I can't agree or disagree. But I agree that the localization at least is great. 

For some reason, I misremembered Shinon's joke as being from Path of Radiance, not Radiant Dawn. I agree that that one is hilarious, but I still think the Micaiah joke is funnier.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Really? For me, I found it funny because the game had already taken the time to show how Micaiah gets annoyed and exasperated whenever Sothe brings up Ike, so, to me, it seemed like Micaiah remarking about how much Sothe seems to pretty much fawn over Ike in her eyes in a very witty way. 

You and I both laughed at Shinon's remark that Gatrie would hit on a tree if it were wearing a skirt, so that at least is something you and someone else both find funny. 

47 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Really? For me, I found it funny because the game had already taken the time to show how Micaiah gets annoyed and exasperated whenever Sothe brings up Ike, so, to me, it seemed like Micaiah remarking about how much Sothe seems to pretty much fawn over Ike in her eyes in a very witty way. 

You and I both laughed at Shinon's remark that Gatrie would hit on a tree if it were wearing a skirt, so that at least is something you and someone else both find funny. 

Yeah, the line is incredibly dumb to me.

Well, I didn't mean literally no one laughed at things I do. Just mostly.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I find Seliph-Lewyn lacking, because Seliph is so safe a lord, and Lewyn's personality plummeted in Gen 2.

Does that imply Seliph is boring? I agree. Not as boring as Roy but still my second least favourite lord in the series. I recently saw someone on YouTube say that Micaiah in part one was a worse Seliph despite Micaiah having a far more compelling conflict and interactions in part one than gen 2 Geneology. 

31 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Does that imply Seliph is boring? I agree. Not as boring as Roy but still my second least favourite lord in the series. I recently saw someone on YouTube say that Micaiah in part one was a worse Seliph despite Micaiah having a far more compelling conflict and interactions in part one than gen 2 Geneology. 

Yes, Seliph is boring.

Just as the narrative loses its ambition after Gen 1, so too went its main character, he's a worse FE3 Marth in demeanor, except FE3 Marth has an angry face. You can say Seliph has had a harrowing life, except it's never felt nor touched on, which is felt with Leif. Micaiah likewise we get a better feeling of a precarious past than Seliph, even if it too could use more (but who wouldn't benefit from more?). And Micaiah struggles, Seliph has only a painless tour de force through the southern and eastern half of Jugdral.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

What would you guys say are Lyn's strongest moments when interacting with the playable cast, especially Hector and Eliwood?

Basically all of her interactions with Hector. She starts out instinctively disliking him but she softens up over time. Contrast their first meeting to their scene on the pirate ship and then to their conversation in Battle preparations.