Potential Classes for future lords

Jotari

Fire Emblem doesn't just have to rely on personality to make its characters different. It can fall back on classes. Most of the lords in the series happen to be sword infantry however. There's still a lot of weapon and movement types out there we could stick on a lord. So far the series has featured

*Sword infantries

*Sword cavalry

*Lance infantry

*Lance cavalry

*Axe infantry

*Axe armoured

*Anima mage infantry

*Light mage infantry

*Staff (only as a sub weapon on Micaiah)

*Manakete

*Bow infantry

*Bow flier (I'm counting the Three Houses lords too)

That's discounting reclassing and that Three Houses characters can technically do whatever they want.

So of the untapped potential we have

*Basically any armoured unit except axe

*Basically any flying unit except bow

*Dark Mage (given Robin's origins, it's a bit disappointing he wasn't this)

*Bow cavalry

*Any kind of magic user aside from infantry.

*Knives, crossbows, laguz and any other kind of experimental weapon type (though we could maybe say we have a  Gauntlet lord in Byleth as Enlightened One has a preference for Gauntlets).

So among the things Fire Emblem hasn't done when it comes to lord's weapons and movement types, what would you like to see? Personally I'd be on for a mounted magic user. Adding a flying lord would also make size map design really interesting.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An armored staff user, literally incapable of self defense and only capable of supporting others.

A dancer, literally incapable of self defense and only capable of supporting others.

A transforming unit, but one that's primarily defined (gameplay wise) as a transforming unit, rather than the dragonstone being one of their weakest options. It would be especially cool if they could turn into any monster class in the game haha.

A lord who conquers enemy nations with punching sounds fun, though.

I haven't played Three Houses so I still think shurikens are a novel addition to the series and would like to see a lord character who uses them to debuff enemies. You know, largely incapable of self defense and primarily capable of supporting others.

15 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

An armored staff user, literally incapable of self defense and only capable of supporting others.

A dancer, literally incapable of self defense and only capable of supporting others.

A transforming unit, but one that's primarily defined (gameplay wise) as a transforming unit, rather than the dragonstone being one of their weakest options. It would be especially cool if they could turn into any monster class in the game haha.

A lord who conquers enemy nations with punching sounds fun, though.

I haven't played Three Houses so I still think shurikens are a novel addition to the series and would like to see a lord character who uses them to debuff enemies. You know, largely incapable of self defense and primarily capable of supporting others.

Please tell me your appreciation of those who are largely incapable of self defense and primary support others means Roy is your boy.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Armored Mage who wields Dark magic, they promote to a Baron like class and get the ability to summon monsters like the FE8 summoner?

That would have to be a pretty badass lord to pull such a combination of metal off.

37 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

The Tiki Archetype as a lord

Before Corrin came around I always thought the best way to balance a Manakere lord would be to make their dragon stone limited in durability, like every other Manakete after the first game (and before Awakening I suppose). Then the sword is just an alternate way to attack. Unfortunately Fates happened to scrap durability at the same time they gave us a manakete lord meaning it became mostly useless.

I don't like mounted lords because:

1) having the character on horseback in cutscenes may be silly at times, meaning he will be on foot most of the time anyway(Claude)

2) i don't think a no name horse should  have this relevance, so it should be like Red Hare.

A fist-fighting lord could be interesting. Especially if in there are story reasons for why they eschew weapons. Like, say, a monk that's dragged into a larger conflict after their monastery is attacked and they try to find the people responsible. Over the course of the story, they would struggle between a having thirst for battle and wanting to strengthening their abilities as a fighter, or remembering the lessons they were taught in the monastery and focusing on aiding others and promoting peace, even if it comes at a great personal cost, or deciding to strike a balance and becoming a disciplined warrior. This could even be reflected in their promotion options, with one class line focusing on combat, another on a supporting role, and third that strikes a balance between the two or fills a completely different niche. I'm not certain how well this would work in a Fire emblem game, but it is an idea I'm interested in nonetheless.

A lord with Xane's abilities would also be intriguing. Especially if the transformations didn't just directly copy another unit, but also added a unique ability. For instance, when copying a thief, they would turn into a chameleon like creature that could become invisible, preventing any enemy units from targeting them, or they would turn into a creature with telekinesis, and steal from a distance. When copying a mage, they could become a D&D like monster and have access to flying or other unique spells. Copying a knight could turn them into a living suit of armor or a stone golem, and so on. I've said it before, but I want IS to get creative with the idea if they decide to use it.

That said, I could see this being too gimmicky for some people. Especially if they feel they are strong-armed into using these abilities despite not building strategies around it simply because they belong to a main characters. There's also how the production costs of creating, modeling, and animating all the potential creatures the lord could turn into could easily add up and it affecting other parts of the game, but that's a theoretical situation that has several different aspects to it.

The only lord type I don't really want is a flyer type, at least if dismounting isn't an option. It depends on the game, but I tend to get overly paranoid when using flying units due to how common archers are and how bows are pretty much a one hit kill to any flying unit. Having such a handicap on a character that spells game over if they die would be more frustrating than interesting, personally. For the record, I don't mind mounted lords because horseslaying weapons aren't as commonplace as bows are, and I find it easier to plan around defeating the unit in question without putting someone at risk of dying if something backfires.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:11 PM, Jotari said:

Please tell me your appreciation of those who are largely incapable of self defense and primary support others means Roy is your boy.

The best lord from the best game. It's only fitting.

20 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

A lord with Xane's abilities would also be intriguing. Especially if the transformations didn't just directly copy another unit, but also added a unique ability. For instance, when copying a thief, they would turn into a chameleon like creature that could become invisible, preventing any enemy units from targeting them, or they would turn into a creature with telekinesis, and steal from a distance. When copying a mage, they could become a D&D like monster and have access to flying or other unique spells. Copying a knight could turn them into a living suit of armor or a stone golem, and so on. I've said it before, but I want IS to get creative with the idea if they decide to use it.

So, sort of like...being able to turn into any monster class in the game?

I'll stop now.

I can't help but imagine that a gauntlet lord would be this big, beefy guy with huge arms that are always bound in metal and he'd be very serious looking all the time.

43 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Knowing Japan, a gauntlet lord would be a short bishonen or a girl lol.

I kind of prefer this, to be honest. The short, wiry brawler I mean. The thought of an underdog fighting against the world with nothing but his fists is appealing, and the aesthetic brings up the classic monk archetype.

But then, I've always disliked brawny meatheads as characters.

Edited by Etheus

Maybe do a game that starts with a simple infantry Sword Lord, but his promotion changes depending on what route he takes ("route" as in the Western Isles and Ilia/Sacae splits of Roy's Emblem). Like, earlygame, there could be a route split where he chooses a book out of the library, and it determines what kind of magic (Light, Dark, Anima) he can use. Then later on, his mount choice depends on whether he goes to the Plains Confederation (Horse), the Mountain Wilds (Wyvern), or the Kingdom of the Desert (Camel Rider hype).

22 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Knowing Japan, a gauntlet lord would be a short bishonen or a girl lol.

21 hours ago, Etheus said:

I kind of prefer this, to be honest. The short, wiry brawler I mean. The thought of an underdog fighting against the world with nothing but his fists is appealing, and the aesthetic brings up the classic monk archetype.

Nah my dudes- y'all right that they'd go with that design, but it would be a lame design.

The physically fit ideal is more buff. Buff people also actually look like they are actually suited to punching people and have trained themselves in that craft. A big buff person is dedicated and unmoving, because their muscles are too heavy to push around. That means a buff person can look both be more inspiring and more intimidating.

Then again, that doesn't usually seem to be the direction people go with protagonists.

21 hours ago, Etheus said:

But then, I've always disliked brawny meatheads as characters.

Man, y'all gotta get over your fear of buff. Buff peeps are pretty cool.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Nah my dudes- y'all right that they'd go with that design, but it would be a lame design.

The physically fit ideal is more buff. Buff people also actually look like they are actually suited to punching people and have trained themselves in that craft. A big buff person is dedicated and unmoving, because their muscles are too heavy to push around. That means a buff person can look both be more inspiring and more intimidating.

Then again, that doesn't usually seem to be the direction people go with protagonists.

Man, y'all gotta get over your fear of buff. Buff peeps are pretty cool.

Short wiry guy for Part 1, then a time skip where he becomes super buff! Best of both worlds. Put the bishonen on the promotional material to rein them in, then hit them with the badass when the story takes a step up in tone.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Short wiry guy for Part 1, then a time skip where he becomes super buff! Best of both worlds. But the bishonen on the promotional material to rein them in, then hit them with the badass when the story takes a step up in tone.

That's a pretty good idea.

You could also, I should suggest, make it so physical and emotional / moral development pair with each other. Through Part 1, the guy is kind of a lazy prick, but it forced to start making tough choices and pushing himself. This "exercise," both bodily and mentally, results in a noble, and more importantly very buff, guy by the start of Part 2.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Short wiry guy for Part 1, then a time skip where he becomes super buff! Best of both worlds. Put the bishonen on the promotional material to rein them in, then hit them with the badass when the story takes a step up in tone.

21 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

You could also, I should suggest, make it so physical and emotional / moral development pair with each other. Through Part 1, the guy is kind of a lazy prick, but it forced to start making tough choices and pushing himself. This "exercise," both bodily and mentally, results in a noble, and more importantly very buff, guy by the start of Part 2.

So, this guy?:

Spoiler

2000?cb=20110515003354

That's the before. And this is the after.:

386?cb=20130723073656LUj4s98.png

Okay, not super buff, but he does look very different. 

The name's Yuri. Occupation- captain of space battleships.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So, this guy?:

Hide contents

2000?cb=20110515003354

That's the before. And this is the after.:

386?cb=20130723073656LUj4s98.png

Okay, not super buff, but he does look very different. 

The name's Yuri. Occupation- captain of space battleships.

Yeah, but ditch the sword.

Is that Infinite Space? I was thinking about that game shortly after making my post. Haven't played it, but a friend of mine has and I am interested.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Is that Infinite Space? I was thinking about that game shortly after making my post. Haven't played it, but a friend of mine has and I am interested.

Yep! 

Not to say too much, but the game has two Acts. The second is literally called "Yuri the Man". Still driven by a noble, selfless desire, he's nonetheless a changed man, at one point admitting force is needed to bring forth his goals.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'd say, combine this and it would be something I'd like to see.

The idea of a support Lord is quite intriguing. No ability to attack; but still able to contribute greatly in other ways. A novelty I wouldn't mind seeing happen.

So yeah, a staff user (not necessarily armored, though), whose promotion gains move-again performing utility.

If we're talking about a pure support unit, why would you put it in harm's way in the first place. Considering games now let you see enemy attack ranges, it would have to be quite deliberate, not so much a mistake.

Edited by Acacia Sgt