Potential Classes for future lords

Jotari

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

It definitely has to be armored. I already don't play dancer half of the time because  it boring having to reset every time you do a wrong move, let alone having a lord whit dancer's bulk.

Ironically, an armored dancer would probably be less survivable than a classic dancer, because lower speed means lower avoid and getting doubled. Not to mention, vulnerability to armor-effective weaponry, and having their day ruined by magic.

• 4 weeks later...

* A Laguz/beast lord similar to Corrin. As someone  mentioned, the unit is oriented to transformation, with lance being secondary weapon, mainly used to attack in distance.  She/he is way stronger when transformed and considerably weaker when attacking with weapons, but still useful.

*A lord that uses knifes/daggers as the main weapon. Beloved Zofia is the only dagger used by a lord but it's actually coded a sword in it's game. 

Edited by Mylady

On 12/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mylady said:

* A Laguz/beast lord similar to Corrin. As someone  mentioned, the unit is oriented to transformation, with lance being secondary weapon, mainly used to attack in distance.

It's a good idea, but I think a bow might work better for it.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:39 PM, CyberController said:

What about a pure Manakete? No weapons, only dragonstones. Perhaps different types of dragonstones for variety

Depending on how rare dragonstones are, it might have to be made so that they don't break, or at least the player would need one particular dragonstone with infinite uses.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:39 AM, CyberController said:

What about a pure Manakete? No weapons, only dragonstones. Perhaps different types of dragonstones for variety

Perhaps also a gauntlets lord

Thing with a pure manakete is that making it available from the first map and throughout the game would either make manaketes feel underwhelming, or just give you a mega powerful unit that outclasses everyone. Granted we've had some OP lords and you could phrase it as a young manakete weak in the beginning who grows stronger, but I think having a pure manakete lord would kind of take away the specialness of manakete. Unless it was just for a part later in the game Radiant Dawn style, or if it's set in Archanea backstory where almost every unit in the game is a manakete.

41 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Thing with a pure manakete is that making it available from the first map and throughout the game would either make manaketes feel underwhelming, or just give you a mega powerful unit that outclasses everyone. Granted we've had some OP lords and you could phrase it as a young manakete weak in the beginning who grows stronger, but I think having a pure manakete lord would kind of take away the specialness of manakete.

You could have the unbreakable dragonstone (see above) which the protagonist uses but give it the drawback of sucking butts and you need to get a real dragonstone to see if manaketes are cool or not.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:26 AM, Mylady said:

* A Laguz/beast lord similar to Corrin. As someone  mentioned, the unit is oriented to transformation, with lance being secondary weapon, mainly used to attack in distance.  She/he is way stronger when transformed and considerably weaker when attacking with weapons, but still useful.

*A lord that uses knifes/daggers as the main weapon. Beloved Zofia is the only dagger used by a lord but it's actually coded a sword in it's game. 

Beloved Zofia is a full length sword. The Gold Dagger it's made from is a dagger, but the process of making it seems to irrevocably change that fact.

55 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

You could have the unbreakable dragonstone (see above) which the protagonist uses but give it the drawback of sucking butts and you need to get a real dragonstone to see if manaketes are cool or not.

It's not the issue of mechanics but of presentation as I said. Making the lord a full blown manakete for the entire game would struggle not to feel either over or underwhelming.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's not the issue of mechanics but of presentation as I said. Making the lord a full blown manakete for the entire game would struggle not to feel either over or underwhelming.

Maybe the Manakete lord could be the prince/ss of a country of Manaketes. That way, they're not the only one you get, but they do have access to an exclusive stone and/or combat art. For my part, I prefer shapeshifters when they're integrated into the worldbuilding (Archanaea, Tellius), rather than one-off individuals.

If there was a full on manakete lord or just a transforming lord in general, I would perfer a system where they transform for multiple turns like FE3 and Tellius. Maybe even both, when you use a stone the gauge fills and is used just to determine how long you can stay transformed. Also 1-2 range dragons are best dragons.

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Does Elincia not count in RD? She's sword flier.

RD is weird about who it makes Lords. By the most expansive interpretation, Nephenee is a Lord. (Of course, there are no "Lords", only "Commanders", but...).

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Does Elincia not count in RD? She's sword flier.

I'm no authority. Count her if you want. I probably would if she was able to lead the third army in Part 4. That would have a cool dichotomy of the Parts 1, 2 and 3 lords leading different armies in Part 4. But they give the third job to Tibarn even though Elincia is there. Leaving her more a random lord for two chapters than a legitimate protagonist in the game.

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But they give the third job to Tibarn even though Elincia is there. Leaving her more a random lord for two chapters than a legitimate protagonist in the game.

I can agree with this statement.

Diversity standards maybe? Lol.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm no authority. Count her if you want. I probably would if she was able to lead the third army in Part 4. That would have a cool dichotomy of the Parts 1, 2 and 3 lords leading different armies in Part 4. But they give the third job to Tibarn even though Elincia is there. Leaving her more a random lord for two chapters than a legitimate protagonist in the game.

IIRC, the full list of playable "Commander" units in Radiant Dawn (followed by number of chapters) is:

- Micaiah (16)

- Elincia (2)

- Nephenee (1)

- Lucia (1)

- Geoffrey (2)

- Ike (13*)

- Tibarn (2)

*not counting IV-Endgame

So even if we set a standard of "Lords must be a Commander for more than one chapter", then Geoffrey and Tibarn are each just as lordly as Elincia. There's no pure gameplay standard that can establish Micaiah, Elincia, and Ike as the "three lords" of Radiant Dawn.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I can agree with this statement.

Diversity standards maybe? Lol.

I kinda like it. Elincia is knowledgeable and talented, sure, but Tibarn has more experience, both as a leader and in combat. Plus, Phoenicis was involved in the Laguz Alliance war long before Crimea (the royal knights, not the Greil Mercenaries) intervened. Of course, the "Let's split up, gang" gambit makes vanishingly little story sense, it's just there for gameplay reasons.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

IIRC, the full list of playable "Commander" units in Radiant Dawn (followed by number of chapters) is:

- Micaiah (16)

- Elincia (2)

- Nephenee (1)

- Lucia (1)

- Geoffrey (2)

- Ike (13*)

- Tibarn (2)

*not counting IV-Endgame

So even if we set a standard of "Lords must be a Commander for more than one chapter", then Geoffrey and Tibarn are each just as lordly as Elincia. There's no pure gameplay standard that can establish Micaiah, Elincia, and Ike as the "three lords" of Radiant Dawn.

I kinda like it. Elincia is knowledgeable and talented, sure, but Tibarn has more experience, both as a leader and in combat. Plus, Phoenicis was involved in the Laguz Alliance war long before Crimea (the royal knights, not the Greil Mercenaries) intervened. Of course, the "Let's split up, gang" gambit makes vanishingly little story sense, it's just there for gameplay reasons.

And that's all I want. Gameplay dichotomy. I wouldn't want any of the plot altered in this regard. Tibarn can be just as much the in story leader of the Hawk Army (though maybe with a somewhat different name) just make Elincia the gameplay lord. It wouldn't really change anything at all as that army in particular is much more of an ensemble cast in terms of story than Tibarn actually being something resembling a protagonist.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

And that's all I want. Gameplay dichotomy. I wouldn't want any of the plot altered in this regard. Tibarn can be just as much the in story leader of the Hawk Army (though maybe with a somewhat different name) just make Elincia the gameplay lord. It wouldn't really change anything at all as that army in particular is much more of an ensemble cast in terms of story than Tibarn actually being something resembling a protagonist.

It's already half-done. Elincia is a forced deployment in both 4-2 and 4-5... and her death triggers a Game Over too.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's already half-done. Elincia is a forced deployment in both 4-2 and 4-5... and her death triggers a Game Over too.

The same is true for like Nailah in part 1 (not that she stands nay remote chance of actually dying). Actually maybe she's not forced deployed. Alright, the same is true for ever character in Three Houses in their paralogues.

Edited by Jotari

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:03 AM, Jotari said:

I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't Tibarn have more leadship than Elincia? If so, that would actually affect gameplay in regards to lowering hit/avoid for the army. I wouldn't care either way, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

On topic: I don't mind sword lords at all either, so they can keep making them the lord, by all means.

I think I'm okay with Sword Lords, but I would like to see a Fire Emblem where the Pivotal Weapon* isn't a sword. Maybe it could be a tome instead, for instance. 

*Basically, a plot-important weapon that only the main character uses. See: Sword of the Creator, the Yato, the Binding Blade, Ragnell (sort of), Durandal (sort of), and every incarnation of Falchion.

For those saying they don't hate sword lords, we can still have sword lords with diversity included. Like say a lord that is sword infantry at base but promotes to cavalry with an axe rank part way through the game.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

For those saying they don't hate sword lords, we can still have sword lords with diversity included. Like say a lord that is sword infantry at base but promotes to cavalry with an axe rank part way through the game.

I meant it more as, I don`t mind the Lord primarly using swords. You do have a point though. I would like to see a Lord Class that could use magic alongside swords one day,. I know Celica technically does this already, but I feel they should give it another shot.