Book IV's Summoning Begins: Peony & More (Dec 5 ~) New trailer style!

Coolmanio

17 minutes ago, Etheus said:

It is a bit of a stretch to say that Thracia characters don't resonate with Heroes players when Reinhardt is a meme synonimous with the game itself.

Best husbando ever. Even Lief followed the footsteps of best husbando. Lief: Unifier of Thracia combined Meisterschwert and Dire Thunder and even managed to slap Galeforce on himself. He makes Reinhardt onii chan so proud and relieved knowing Olwen is in safe hands.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I wasn't sure how bad I was expecting Book 4 to be, but they managed to surpass my expectations. As if Book 3 being edgy-dark wasn't dumb enough, they go in completely the opposite direction with this.

Also I like how Alfonse's dad has the sleeping sickness.

Y'know, just to totally ignore what happened in Book 3.

3 hours ago, NoNameAtAll said:

Wow, I wasn't sure how bad I was expecting Book 4 to be, but they managed to surpass my expectations. As if Book 3 being edgy-dark wasn't dumb enough, they go in completely the opposite direction with this.

When IS doesnt want to spoil Book 3 because you can start Book 4 without playing Book 3 *sigh* This is so garbage imho and limits story developing immensly

I sorta forgot to comment here, might be the shock from fairy land. 

The new trailer format is pretty cool, and it'll be nice for those that like to post reactions by keeping the characters as a bigger surprise. 

For the units themselves:

Mareeta is pretty strong with her NFU+ Solo Spectrum sword and that crazy B skill of hers. Guess Dmg reduction is going to be the new fad after IS saw how great B!Ike has become.

Eyvel screams demote, but one can be never be sure with IS. Her skills are ok, at least now we get a Hack-o-lantern variant for swords (more like S!Helbindi and Eyvel herself because most swords go for the glass cannon route). From my experience using Petra, Form skills are a little wonky to work around but they can be quite powerful if set properly.

Osian (whom I'll refer to as "Pugi guy" from now on) is quite powerful despite what his goofy art would have you believe. Slaying+DC is pretty awesome even if the DC is conditional. His base kit make him a pretty strong EP unit and as such Pugi guy is meant to be used as a super tank in AR where he'll take one hit and then retaliate with a Wrath boosted Noontime to recover the HP he lost. Simple, yet effective. 

Peony is interesting. As a light mythic she's a must and being a dancer means you'll be able to free 1 space for your team (unless you're set on using double Eir because you need the Res). She's not on L!Azura's level but giving a ploy-like Air/Ground orders to her allies coupled with a ploy-like Drive Atk/Spd is pretty nice. The buffs are whatever, +3 to everything is a nice bonus but I think it'll matter very little when it is common to get up to +6 with emblem and tactics buffs. She's going to be free so I find little reason to pull for her because she'll do her job even at +0, maybe if you're the type to play extremely offensive with GF comps and need two dancers to reach all the map ASAP. 

The banner itself is above average, although having 2 sword infantries is not what I'd call a good thing. For my part I don't really care about the FE5 units sans Tanya (who is low rarity so no need to try and get her in a banner with no colorless focus) and there's no need to get another Peony because I'm not a GF user so yeah.

11 hours ago, Humanoid said:

That said, there are already zero axe cavalry and fliers in the current pool...

Are you talking about the 5* pool, or the whole pool? Titania and Gunter are still very available. Gunter is... well... Gunter, but Titania is pretty good for her role. Oh, yeah, and Fredrick. Almost forgot about him. That said, yes, that is a pitiful number of axe cavalry.

There are a few axe fliers. I never use them, so I nearly forgot about them. Camilla, Cherche, and Beruka.

However... yeah, we need more of those units. Badly. The pool badly needs Jill as an axe, not a lance.

2 hours ago, Venmi said:

However... yeah, we need more of those units. Badly. The pool badly needs Jill as an axe, not a lance.

Alternatively, they could go for the worst timeline and make her a lance flier and a GHB. 

...Sorry, after Haar I’ve defaulted to expecting the worst.

Don’t forget about beasts; Ranulf, Yarne and Kaden at least provide some more options for green physical melee cavalry, even if some effects target one weapon type but not the other.

3 hours ago, Venmi said:

Are you talking about the 5* pool, or the whole pool? Titania and Gunter are still very available. Gunter is... well... Gunter, but Titania is pretty good for her role. Oh, yeah, and Fredrick. Almost forgot about him. That said, yes, that is a pitiful number of axe cavalry.

There are a few axe fliers. I never use them, so I nearly forgot about them. Camilla, Cherche, and Beruka.

Yeah, the 5* pool.

More generally, I don't want an axe cavalry for a mixed team, I want one for my horse team, which kinda rules out Titania. Frederick's refine wasn't for me either, and obviously Gunter still lacks one. I have Bride Marth but can't justify spending grails to merge him up, and my sole -Atk Spring Alfonse is pretty pointless. The final goal would be to have a Galeforce horse of each colour: BRoy or Eliwood for Red (haven't decided on whether to invest in merging up Eliwood yet), Oscar for Blue, and Leif for Grey. Marth aside, it appears my best option for green would be waiting a year or two for a viable candidate to appear.

58 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Alternatively, they could go for the worst timeline and make her a lance flier and a GHB. 

I know... Haar got it really bad. I'm hoping for better for Jill, but with this game...

14 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, the 5* pool.

More generally, I don't want an axe cavalry for a mixed team, I want one for my horse team, which kinda rules out Titania. Frederick's refine wasn't for me either, and obviously Gunter still lacks one. I have Bride Marth but can't justify spending grails to merge him up, and my sole -Atk Spring Alfonse is pretty pointless. The final goal would be to have a Galeforce horse of each colour: BRoy or Eliwood for Red (haven't decided on whether to invest in merging up Eliwood yet), Oscar for Blue, and Leif for Grey. Marth aside, it appears my best option for green would be waiting a year or two for a viable candidate to appear.

Makes sense- you're right about that.

3 hours ago, Venmi said:

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

I literally need them to add Jill soon, cuz I'm slowly losing more of my sanity the longer it takes for her to be added. If they do her dirty and make a crappy GHB like Haar, especially as a lance flier instead of an axe flier, I will be super fucking pissed that I've spent three fucking years hoarding orbs for nothing

11 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, the 5* pool.

that's where i am at. 
I wouldn't mind Titania (in general) and i'll probably eventually build her + Seth for Tactical team building) but for pure horses, my options are a Broken Olwen, Cecilia or my 1 Groomy Marth. (i never got the 2nd one). 

19 hours ago, NoNameAtAll said:

It's the opposite.

If their father is still alive, that means they are in a dream.

Listening to the first five seconds of the theme: Oh hey, I am playing a Zelda game. 

30 seconds later: It looks like a shitty Touhou fangame

No seriously this was just gross. Not only that fairies have no place in this game, but also that the newest story chapters took the spotlight of the FE5 characters. I was hoping for some good FE5 music (mainly this song) and all I got, is an annoying fairy brat which is just poor copy of the A!drift Corrins personality wise.

Not that I care much for it overall, but Thracia was put into dirt, this game definitely DID not deserve. 

4 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Not only that fairies have no place in this game

Heroes draws a lot from Norse mythology and fairies are part of Norse mythology.

2 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

but also that the newest story chapters took the spotlight of the FE5 characters

I do not see how that is different from the previous three books. When has Story Maps ever gave a spotlight to a main series character outside of maybe Xander?

18 hours ago, silverserpent said:

I can skip! I'll be happy with the free Peony. At least I can use a different Mythic than Eir now during Light season. Hopefully they'll have some surprises in store for us on the Christmas units. How about some Reindeer-pegasi?

NOOOoooo

(I mean this would be cool, but i have to save LOL)

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Heroes draws a lot from Norse mythology and fairies are part of Norse mythology.

Fairies from norse mythology is not true. They are more from the Celtic lore. But Fire emblem also takes some part of this, like the good Gae bolg. 

Elves are originally more from Germanic and Scandinavian parts. Of course the celtic had contact with those cultures and they developed there own definition. It is also said by some that another influence of fairies are peri, which are from a persian lore. (origin of the word fairy). And there are also Nymph as an influence.

I think the whole problem is that Elves and Fairies have no real definition from the beginning. And now we are just confused because they get interchanged so much. The only thing which interests me is just if Elves had wings in the time they got around as a lore... I personally think that Wings started more with a certain part of fairies. And at least we can say that fairies have been around later, but of course been influenced by elves, peri and possibly other lore.

Some sources even say that even Fairies don't have wings as a requirement, those kind of developed in the victorian era. And this is actually the most interesting point for us. If we look at peony and even the trailer. The wings have something to show, they are something we really notice quick and find them uncommon for FE. At least those fairy like wings. So in that regard the choice to give them wings is not so far from the same people in the victorian Era gave fairies wings.

They also used wings to show in theaters that one of the artists plays a supernatural being, like an angle or a fairy. So the wings had something captivating. And I think its the same here. At least for some of us. Even the trailer builds a lot on it. All these elves flying around. 

I just try to accept it for now, But I just call them light and dark elves. The term they used even is the nordic for both. 

Edited by Stroud

8 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Fairies from norse mythology is not true. They are more from the Celtic lore. But Fire emblem also takes some part of this, like the good Gae bolg. 

Elves are originally more from Germanic and Scandinavian parts. Of course the celtic had contact with those cultures and they developed there own definition. It is also said by some that another influence of fairies are peri, which are from a persian lore. (origin of the word fairy). And there are also Nymph as an influence.

I think the whole problem is that Elves and Fairies have no real definition from the beginning. And now we are just confused because they get interchanged so much. The only thing which interests me is just if Elves had wings in the time they got around as a lore... I personally think that Wings started more with a certain part of fairies. And at least we can say that fairies have been around later, but of course been influenced by elves, peri and possibly other lore.

Some sources even say that even Fairies don't have wings as a requirement, those kind of developed in the victorian era. And this is actually the most interesting point for us. If we look at peony and even the trailer. The wings have something to show, they are something we really notice quick and find them uncommon for FE. At least those fairy like wings. So in that regard the choice to give them wings is not so far from the same people in the victorian Era gave fairies wings.

They also used wings to show in theaters that one of the artists plays a supernatural being, like an angle or a fairy. So the wings had something captivating. And I think its the same here. At least for some of us. Even the trailer builds a lot on it. All these elves flying around. 

I just try to accept it for now, But I just call them light and dark elves. The term they used even is the nordic for both. 

Languages and cultures evolve over time. Just because you think they should be defined differently does not make it more accurate than other definitions. Tolkien used goblins and orcs interchangeably and he created the term orc. Later media made a distinction between them but that does mean their definition is any more accurate or better.

19 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

And to anyone upset that these are fairies and not elves:

Tl;dr version:

Reveal hidden contents

They're more or less the same thing, Tolkien just tricked us.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Languages and cultures evolve over time. Just because you think they should be defined differently does not make it more accurate than other definitions. Tolkien used goblins and orcs interchangeably and he created the term orc. Later media made a distinction between them but that does mean their definition is any more accurate or better.

I just came with some things which happened before Tolkien.. the part about the Victorian Era has been completely missed out on the reddit post. 

Edited by Stroud

1 minute ago, Stroud said:

I just came with some things which happened before Tolkien...

So fairies do appear in Norse mythology.

Just now, XRay said:

So fairies do appear in Norse mythology.

What part about Fairies being originating from Celtic lore through contact with Scandinavian and other lore is so difficult to understand?

Just now, Stroud said:

What part about Fairies being originating from Celtic lore through contact with Scandinavian and other lore is so difficult to understand?

Saying fairies originate from Celtic lore is no different from saying fairies originate from Greek mythology. Greek nymphs are basically fairies, and as far as I know, Greek mythology is older than Celtic mythology. I do not think any mythology has a monopoly on the origins of something as broad as fairies. Cultures throughout the world has concepts of nature spirits.