Book IV's Summoning Begins: Peony & More (Dec 5 ~) New trailer style!

Coolmanio

I don't think it really matters where fairies come from

FEH does not need fairies 

It's just the most random thing ever. I feel like all the books are just random. Except book 2. But dont quote me like I know what I'm talking about, because I still dont know what the story is up to this point besides the fact that I defeated Hel in the last chapter to get some orbs.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Saying fairies originate from Celtic lore is no different from saying fairies originate from Greek mythology. Greek nymphs are basically fairies, and as far as I know, Greek mythology is older than Celtic mythology. I do not think any mythology has a monopoly on the origins of something as broad as fairies. Cultures throughout the world has concepts of nature spirits.

Of course Fairies can be also influenced by other mythology, I also mentioned Peri along the line. But you just say fairies a nordic, like it would be a term used in the nordic mythology.
In this case you could also go as far and say hey, Dullahan is nordic. Because Dullahan is a fairy.

That elves get influenced by Fairies in reverse we just have to live with this point I give you. And that they are changing like languages. Fairies also haven't been always the little cute things with Wings. And have also more subcategories depending on region. Even with Dullahan as one. 

Edited by Stroud

47 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I don't think it really matters where fairies come from

FEH does not need fairies 

It's just the most random thing ever. I feel like all the books are just random. Except book 2. But dont quote me like I know what I'm talking about, because I still dont know what the story is up to this point besides the fact that I defeated Hel in the last chapter to get some orbs.

Fire Emblem in general doesn't need fairies.

Just like how it didn't need gods, cat-people, bird-people, dragon-people, revived skeletons, centaurs, giant spiders, demon kings, Duma possessed creepy witches, ghost parents that tell Seliph he is a really good boy, people with the ability to shapeshift, time travel, portals to other dimensions and a kingdom named Valla that floats in the sky because someone at IS played too much Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

And yet all those things happened and it wasn't the end of the world. 

You are allowed to personally not care for fairy tale creatures, but "there was no need for this" is a really bad argument.

At the end of the day there are few things that are "needed" to tell a story, but if every story was only about the needed bits they would be really short and uncreative.

Edited by GrandeRampel

43 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Fire Emblem in general doesn't need fairies.

Just like how it didn't need gods, cat-people, bird-people, dragon-people, revived skeletons, centaurs, giant spiders, demon kings, Duma possessed creepy witches, ghost parents that tell Seliph he is a really good boy, people with the ability to shapeshift, time travel, portals to other dimensions and a kingdom named Valla that floats in the sky because someone at IS played too much Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

And yet all those things happened and it wasn't the end of the world. 

You are allowed to personally not care for fairy tale creatures, but "there was no need for this" is a really bad argument.

At the end of the day there are few things that are "needed" to tell a story, but if every story was only about the needed bits they would be really short and uncreative.

People seem to not really like the story in FEH. SO I'd say that the fairies would be acceptable or even needed if the story in this book is actually good and the fairies being part of it really seal the deal.

But since this is FEH that probably isnt going to happen.

At the end of the tunnel, what FEH does need is a good story

Amirite 👀

Regardless, I never cared about the OCs or paid attention to the dialogue. The main reason why I say it wasnt needed is because it's random

Super random 👀

I think the point Arcanite is making is that the fairies came out of nowhere. As a matter of fact, the last three books have been like that. Now we're in a fire world fighting an evil king! Now we're in an alternate timeline fighting a death god and her zombies! Now we're in a dream world fighting nightmares and dark elves! Try to keep up, Alfonse!

Though personally, I'm not in it for the story, so it doesn't bother me.

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about Peony and really just wants Triandra instead? (Sadface since I assume it'll be a year before she becomes summonable.)

Peony's hair annoys the hell out of me.

Triandra's face just makes me really want to pinch her cheeks. I think she just needs some headpats.

EDIT: Complete random note because it struck me as odd to see her name completely different in Japanese.

Triandra's name in Japanese is Scabiosa. Scabiosa is a genus of flowers commonly called "scabious" (apparently pronounced with a long "a") or "pincushion flowers". Triandra comes from the species name of the southern scabious, Scabiosa triandra.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

EDIT: Complete random note because it struck me as odd to see her name completely different in Japanese.

Triandra's name in Japanese is Scabiosa. Scabiosa is a genus of flowers commonly called "scabious" (apparently pronounced with a long "a") or "pincushion flowers". Triandra comes from the species name of the southern scabious, Scabiosa triandra.

Reminds me a bit of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

North American version:

Amnesia Girl with No Name: "That flower is an Isabella Cattleya."

Will: "It's pretty, why don't you name yourself after it?"

Amnesia Girl: "Okay, I'm Cattleya then."

Will: "No, that sounds weird, Isabella is better."

Isabella: "Fine, Isabella it is."

Japanese/European version:

Amnesia Girl with No Name: "That flower is an Isabella Cattleya."

Ed: "It's pretty, why don't you name yourself after it?"

Amnesia Girl: "Okay, I'm Cattleya then."

Ed: "Cattleya is a good name."

Cattleya: "Fine."

-Though spelling of Cattleya was a bit different I think, and this is just a paraphrase.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about Peony and really just wants Triandra instead? (Sadface since I assume it'll be a year before she becomes summonable.)

I'm on Team Plumeria but Triandra's probably my 2nd favorite design so far so she's defs on my want list~

More random localization things:

I'm a bit bothered by the localization of Close Call, but going for a more accurate (or consistent) translation would run into length restrictions on the status screen.

The Japanese name of the skill is 回避・一撃離脱, "Evasion / Hit and Run". I get the feeling that we'll be getting more Evasion skills going forward for the other movement passive B skills and they're going to completely screw up the naming of them again like they did with Swift Sparrow, Steady Stance, and Crusader's Ward.

I always (well, most of the time) gravitated towards darker aesthetics, so Trianda/Scabiosa is my favorite design of the bunch xD

Edited by Troykv

Honestly, I just hate fairies in general. Even the "evil fairies" are too cutesy for me. This book's entire aesthetic is everything I grew out of when I was seven. In all fairness, book 3's aesthetic was something I left behind when I was in my teens. But yeah, I'm personally not digging this aesthetic. I don't have an issue with anyone else who likes it, I'm just personally very meh on it.