Book IV Official Speculation & Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess they decided on Fairies instead of Elves. 😄

In any case, I'm very curious. The fact that they showed the Askr siblings waking up twice makes me wonder if we might have Groundhog Day shenanigans here.

Oh, and I know this isn't specifically Book 4 related, but I like how the new setting for Mjolnir's Srikes has a name. Midgard's Shield, which we know is the world of humans in Norse myth.

I’m getting weird SAO vibes from this trailer and it’s not just because they both take place in alfheim. Also these new character designs reek of ecchi light novel trash which I’m totally okay with but I just hope the writing doesn’t follow the same trajectory 

21 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Guess they decided on Fairies instead of Elves.

Elves and Fairies are actually relatively interchangeable terms until you get to modern usage from about the 19th century I think.  So having different fairies for the light elves and dark elves isn't necessarily wrong, just not normal by modern standards.

Well this is quite a different tone.  Perhaps it was getting too edgy and stuff, dreams have a big possibility.  Fairies are known for mischief, I think, with dreams, illusions, what's real, what isn't?  Hopefully they have a lot of fun with this storyline, we also see Bruno maybe he finally solves the key of the cursed bloodline and gets more development.

14 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Well this is quite a different tone.  Perhaps it was getting too edgy and stuff, dreams have a big possibility.  Fairies are known for mischief, I think, with dreams, illusions, what's real, what isn't?  Hopefully they have a lot of fun with this storyline, we also see Bruno maybe he finally solves the key of the cursed bloodline and gets more development.

I'm pretty certain there's going to be some trippiness, given they had the Askr siblings waking up again at the beginning, as if the same thing repeating itself. Granted, we can't take the trailers completely seriously but still.

I know double posting tends to be frowned upon around here but I wanted to make a new post for this.

https://guide.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-US/00004001000454/

So Peony got added to "Learning with Sharena". They really are calling them Elves apparently so fair enough. :)

Also, Sharena appears to a part of her story and is even listed in her closest associates list. So, with that in mind, I imagine Sharena will at least have a little more relevance her than in previous Books, as it appears that she and Peony might have an intertwined story.

The Meet some Heroes entree also has Sharena wonder if she isn't forgetting something. It also doesn't list Alfonse in Peony's list of friends. 

Maybe the siblings will be separated for a while with Peony and Sharena teaming up in the dream world which makes Sharena briefly forget about her brother. Maybe the attack Alfonse is blasted with could reference him being send to the nightmare realm for a bit. Bruno is supposed to return. It should be interesting if Sharena and Peony have an adventure in the dream world while Bruno and Alfonse have one in the nightmare one. 

I want to believe this is Sharena when she is on a "trip". The contrast between Book 3 and Book 4 thematicly and concept wise are 2 extremes

We went from "Edgelord Emo-Death Style" to "Come on Teletubby, teleport us to Mars!"

Edited by Hilda

Just now, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

So I guess Eir was thrown into the unknown with Fjorm and shall never be heard of ever again.

There is no other way to handle this when there are no requirements to start with Book 4. or Book 3 or Book 2. None of them required the completion of the previous Book, so its kinda hard for them to go on overarching storytheme when there are no requirements.

An easy fix would have been a Summary of the events pre Book 4, that simple IS, that simple...

Not gonna lie, I never expected book IV to be this far away from the style of book III.... Then again, I don't mind. In fact, I already like the theme much more than the previous books', even if I'm not a big fan of fairies and stuff. What really caught my attention was how Alfonse woke up again, after getting sucked into that black thingy. I wonder if Peony knows about the whole "turn back time" thing, but doesn't talk about it to the others. Judging only by trailer, I expect Alfonse being the most plot-relevant again, which would bother me, but it seems like Sharena is  gonna be the "main character" this time around, or at least have a larger role than previously. That's for the positive part.
As for the negative, I would have loved if they moved from the norse-mythology to some other. I know they love to use stuff like Loki, Hel, Mjölnir and the like in Fire Emblem (in Heroes at the very least...), but seriously guys, how about doing something a bit more exciting? Go with mayan mythology, go with celtic, go with chinese even. I don't have any problem with the norse, in fact, it's probably in my top 3, but it's just getting boring at this point... 

Edited by coldhand25

What if Peony is actually the antagonist of Book IV and we are helping them unknowingly. The music is too dissonant/ominous throughout the trailer and maybe the weird 'orbs' she plays with are actually souls of people they trapped in their world.

The new art for the Book 4 characters is really pretty, I'm happy to see Yoshiku doing more art for this game. It's also fun to see them do a Fire Emblem take on another aspect of Norse mythology, this time the Ljósálfr ("Lysalver" in Norwegian, "Light Elves" in English). I wonder if we'll see a prominent character named Frey or Freyr in reference to the god of fertility who was the leader of the elves in Norse mythology. I'm also hoping to see some more characterization for Sharena this time around, after Alfonse got quite a lot in Book 3.

I thought of something when I saw Alfonse at the end of the trailer; In Norway, "Alf" is a decently common male given name that I'm fairly certain is derived from "alfr", the norse word for elf used here. It is also coincidentially similar to the shortened version of the name Alfonse. I don't think Alfonse as a name is actually related to this Alf though (Alfonse being a German name meaning "brave", I believe), but it's a funny coincidence that if they wanted to they could thematically connect Alfonse's name to the elves, though I doubt they'll do it.

Edited by BoaFerox

41 minutes ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

I want to live in the world with Peony and be her best friend forever

What attracts you to her, if I may ask? You've gone full Peony-fanboy very quickly...

25 minutes ago, BoaFerox said:

It's also fun to see them do a Fire Emblem take on another aspect of Norse mythology, this time the Ljósálfr ("Lysalver" in Norwegian, "Light Elves" in English).

Yeah, it was weird at first, but I'm glad we're getting something so out of sorts for FE. Interesting!

1 hour ago, zuibangde said:

What if Peony is actually the antagonist of Book IV and we are helping them unknowingly. The music is too dissonant/ominous throughout the trailer and maybe the weird 'orbs' she plays with are actually souls of people they trapped in their world.

Delere this! How dare you say something so mean? Even suggesting that our small bean Peony could do something evil is worth the death sentence 》:-(

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The Meet some Heroes entree also has Sharena wonder if she isn't forgetting something. It also doesn't list Alfonse in Peony's list of friends. 

Maybe the siblings will be separated for a while with Peony and Sharena teaming up in the dream world which makes Sharena briefly forget about her brother. Maybe the attack Alfonse is blasted with could reference him being send to the nightmare realm for a bit. Bruno is supposed to return. It should be interesting if Sharena and Peony have an adventure in the dream world while Bruno and Alfonse have one in the nightmare one. 

Very good guess! I wholeheartedly agree with this theory. Nice catch! Alfonse waking up again could be him having been launched into a nightmare, either where everything repeats again and again, or with things warping horrifically (or perhaps, warping more and more each time he goes through that day again.) Either way, perhaps Sharena will have to save her brother!

On the subject of this book's tone vs the last one, I think it's because of the focus characters. Alfonse is a very serious person, so it makes sense that the tone of his focus book would be so serious. Sharena, on the other hand... Well, book 4's tone fits her perfectly.

@zuibangde

I like your theory, but it doesn't really match how Heroes tends to be written. It's more likely that we'll eventually befriend the dark fairies than it is for our allies to turn against us.

@BoaFerox

Neat catch with Alfonse's name! I agree, though. I think that the most connection we may see from that is him being teased for it by the dark fairies.

As for me, the tone change is a bit jarring, even if it's basically a look into Sharena's bubbly, sugar-coated mind. I much prefer the tone of book 3, but that's just my preference. Then again, I also cannot be in direct sunlight, so... Take that as you will. Still, I'm approaching this with an open mind. It'll probably grow on me, but for now if feels like someone turned on the lights while my eyes happened to be on them.

Also, not too happy at the overload of female characters yet again. Peony, the fairy queen, plus the two new antagonists are all female... Not a new male character in sight... Plus, someone give Peony some shorts or something, please.

Edit: Also, why the hobbit holes? In the background, yes there was a fairy aesthetic, but those fairy houses are totally hobbit holes. I mean, the doors look pretty much the same... They could've tried to avoid that a little bit...

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

What attracts you to her, if I may ask? You've gone full Peony-fanboy very quickly...

Yeah, it was weird at first, but I'm glad we're getting something so out of sorts for FE. Interesting!

I don't like girls so whatever your thinking is wrong and because She is best girl also I love the part with her and the spirit orbs playing also because her world is beautiful and somewhere I'd wanna live in the cut scene.

17 minutes ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

I don't like girls so whatever your thinking is wrong and because She is best girl also I love the part with her and the spirit orbs playing also because her world is beautiful and somewhere I'd wanna live in the cut scene.

I didn't mean you were attracted to her in that sense, just that I was surprised at how much you liked her with how little we know of her, that's all. Still, thank you for answering!

36 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Plus, someone give Peony some shorts or something, please.

Speaking of Peony, glad someone else noticed this too. I really hope this is a Sharena-centric story, as you all say...

Just now, DefyingFates said:

I didn't mean you were attracted to her in that sense, just that I was surprised at how much you liked her with how little we know of her, that's all. Still, thank you for answering!

Sorry I didn't mean to say it like that my apologies

Her character interests me and I think that dude who warped them to that place may be her father.

But yeah Peony she needs some pants if they can do it for Dong-Armor Alm they can do it for Sharena's new best friend.

I am also getting Odin Sphere vibes from this... i’m hoping the new character won’t be like Mercedes... even though she got better as the story progressed, her personality was annoying in the beginning...

I do think the story seems to be lighter in tone, but unlike book 3 that had the first trailer be in the past/climax, this trailer seems to be taking place at the beginning, so there is still plenty of room for seriousness... Not to mention dreams can be pretty scary stuff, and with creatures that can also cause nightmares, anything could happen...

The elves being fairies surprised me, but considering the context, it makes more sense... I was kind of hoping this would go more into the gods/Asgard, especially with Heavenly Witness... A bit disappointed that that’s not the case, especially with how fast the Realm of the dead was brought up in the last book...

But in some interpretations, the realm of the elves also serves as the pathway to Asgard (namely thinking of Valkyrie profile, although there’s also a less direct example in Odin Sphere). So maybe in the next book/later in this book, the characters will eventually enter Asgard to do battle there). And then the fifth and (presumably final) book will deal with them actually fighting in Asgard, destroying the enemies there, and tying up all the other loose plot threads... i’m not sure what would happen if they went to go beat up all the gods though... normally, in that scenario, another character takes over, but I don’t see that here...

Also a bit annoyed that the side characters from other books aren’t brought up again because people can start from any book that has been released.. this could have been avoided if players would be forced to do the books in order, and thus developers would have to keep the other characters relevant because people would know about them... but now that’s not the case, and it’s annoying for those of us that know the older characters and wish there was more about them after their arc ends...

Edited by wheelsonfire