Book IV Official Speculation & Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

I liked it! I really appreciated that each Part had significant plot behind it too!

• While I'm upset that Kiran became a silent protagonist again, I appreciated that we got to see him on-screen. That way at least we can at least relate to him and his frustration more.
  • Freyja's doubts slowly setting in was fantastic! We had some set up for this with her conversations with Triandra before, but I really felt for her when she called out to her and realized she was dead, and her trying to convince herself she was imagining things. Her saying she was just going to kill all the Alfr in Part 4 made me think she'd changed her mind, but she either lied or changed her mind at the last second and I loved her final scene with the Dokkalfr.
  • They chose a nice way to wrap up Sharena's story too. While it would have had more of an impact to say she was the fake, the option they went for - that she and Peony simply don't know who the real Sharena is - leaves us intrigued, I can respect that. Peony's farewells and trying to cheer Sharena up while admitting to Kiran that she was afraid was moving and I'm happy she survived. At first I thought she'd be a human, but I guess not. I wonder if Sharena will remember her again, but this does explain why Peony's in the Order of Heroes now at least.
  • And Alfonse...yeah, this one was a heck of a swerve, but I still stand by my original theory that Freyja's warning of Alfador striking him down is a sign of things to come - or that this is yet another dream. Loki's words at least imply that something went wrong, dream or not, so I don't see this as a fake-out but foreshadowing for Book 5 - and I look forward to it! Speaking of the final map, I liked that it was a "Book Ends" moment complete with casual music playing, which just added to the weirdness of it all.
  • Speaking of Alfonse's "death", I like that Veronica of all people is rendered speechless by it. It's funny, but I guess it also drives home that she's a frenemy more than anything at this point.
  • Regarding Freyja's "death": I said this before but I really like how she realized why Freyr felt the way he did and acted as he would have. While past precedent makes me think we'll never see Freyja wake up (outside of her being a Mythic Hero, of course) it would be nice to see it happen at the end of Book 5. Book 4 referenced past Books so I hope this isn't too much to ask.

All in all: I enjoyed this! The pacing could have been a bit tighter with the earlier parts, but if the Book 5 has as big a jump up from Book 4 as it did to 3 (especially with all the set-up we already saw here), I'm really excited to see it! Bring on Alfador! (I hope. We still have a few more realms to go but it'd be weird if we didn't at least see the guy after everything that happened.) Here's to Book 5!

Edited by DefyingFates

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked this ending. Honestly, I already expected Alfonse to not be dead, which didn't disappoint me or ruined the story to me.

Interesting that they ended the book with basically the same map as they started it (with more foes on the battlefield, though).

I wonder if we will get a Xenologue where Loki/Thorr appears to Triandra and Plumeria, saying that Alfador can bring Freyja back if they swear loyalty to them.

36 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Interesting that they ended the book with basically the same map as they started it (with more foes on the battlefield, though).

I forgot to mention it, but I really liked this too! It was a clever "Book Ends" moment complete with casual music playing, with an underlying sense of weirdness to it all.

38 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I wonder if we will get a Xenologue where Loki/Thorr appears to Triandra and Plumeria, saying that Alfador can bring Freyja back if they swear loyalty to them.

I wonder...I think this is likely, though it would be nice if they joined up with the Askrans instead, especially given Triandra and Peony are sisters.

Now that I think about it, this is the 2nd time in a row where the world of the book is left in doubt of where it's going to go.

In Book 2, we were left knowing that Hrid and Laevatein were going to take over Nifl and Muspell. However, Hel is without a leader and who knows how the deceased are being handled with no ruler. Now the dream world has lost both of its leaders (with one outright dead and the other in slumber).

Book 4 is definitely the best arc yet in feh and I like a lot of the motifs and ideas this one went for. It’s a pretty basic message but its told relatively well. I like Freyja as an antagonist. She’s a manipulative mother type and I really like how that adds to the story’s overall message. Tiandra, Plumeria, and Mirabilis all having tragic backstories really does add to that theme of wanting to escape reality. Reality is often cruel and you have very little control over what happens in it. In a dream, you can do whatever you want. You can be whoever you want to be. In a dream there are no restrictions on what you can do. Dreams provide a place of happiness and escape from reality. In the case of the fairies we see. They all had really tough lives in reality where they were treated like dirt more or less. Only in the dream were they able to be truly happy which is why they drank the nectar. It was an escape into an endless dream of nothing but happiness and heroism. Though by the end of the story kinda says that eventually everyone has to face reality at some point. Kids will grow and mature. Dreams end and you have to accept that they will

Ooh... I really like Chapter 13-2. Sharena and Peony is giving my Awakening (Chrom and Robin) nostalgia/vibes, Heroes vibes (Alfonse and Kiran), and friendship vibes in general. Alfonse was always kind of just meh to me, but seeing the juxtaposition presented by Sharena and Peony right now makes me appreciate Alfonse a bit more.

Chapter 13-3 hits a bit too close to home for me.

Chapter 13-5 is nice reuniting with Peony. The ending is a bit sad though, with dökkalfr sort of losing Freyja.

Okay, so, I can finally share my reaction with you guys. It goes like this: *flat expression; throws script over shoulder and lets the papers fall where they want to*

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with the writing of FEH. Granted, it did produce some emotions towards the end, but uuuuuugghhhhhh... Okay, here we go.

Yep. The story was successfully contained to book 4. This is not necessarily a good thing. I thought they were making the game's story turn into an actual flowing narrative. Disappointed. Alfonse is alive and well, so Freyja was just trying to trick Kiran into staying in the dream so that she could get her brother back. Of course she would; she's the nightmare queen. It's annoying how she gave up her life for her subordinates at the end, too. It feels like they're trying to get you to feel protective of Freyja or something, when really, this whole time, she's been basically throwing a gigantic temper tantrum. As for Triandra's whole "We'll find a way to bring you back," that's obviously going to be summoning, whether that makes it into the narrative or not.

Now, I think Freyja was mixing truth with lies when she talked about Alfonse dying. I think that for killing Hel, there are going to be consequences, even if they haven't happened yet. Again, we'll probably have to prove to Alfador that we're worthy of making this world into our own or something (especially since IS loves that stuff and it's integral in the mythology they're using as a base here.) Loki is clearly going to be the one to lead us to ragnarok, but that might not be for a couple of books. We are definitely getting close, though. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a xenologue of Thorr recruiting Plumeria and Triandra, either.

But basically it turned into (again) "the player is so special and the answer to everything." The only difference this time being that there wasn't technically a rite and the gun wasn't the instrument of the villain's destruction. It was just that Kiran had to wake up.

Also, Sharena's changeling thing was extremely anticlimactic. We don't get Fairy Sharena, and there was that bogus "we're the same so it doesn't matter who was Sharena first!" Of course it matters! Three words: "genetic medical history." Besides that, just because you swapped places a bunch and shared your feelings and thoughts with one another doesn't make you the same person. Yes, it was great that Peony drank the nectar for Sharena, and that that was explained, but seriously, the rest felt insubstantial and potential-crippling. And, in the end, I was hoping that we would at least see human Peony when she came to visit (since Freyja died, and it was Freyja's power which made them into fairies.) And what happened to Mirabilis? She's the one fairy we don't know the fate of.

The ending just made almost the whole book feel pointless, and like IS just wanted their girls to be redeemed/happy instead of following something more realistic. It bugs me. Oh well. Here's hoping we get to check out the land of giants next. Maybe that'll be interpreted as the four dragons (Askr, Nifl, Muspell and Embla.)

As for book 3, just give me my Freyr and I'm done.

@Medeus

As for Freyr not being revived, I think it's because he's of equal power to his sister, so she wouldn't have been able to bring him back. Triandra and Plumeria were lesser beings, so it cost less to bring them back, and Freyja could afford them with what power she had. That's how I understood it, anyway, based on Freyja's musings.

@Sentinel07

Pretty sure both died. I think that when Triandra talked about Freyja sleeping, she meant that metaphorically (since Freyja mentioned something along the lines of "With my life, Plumeria and Triandra... No, Freyr's the only one who matters!" which means that she would have to trade her life for Plumeria and Triandra's.)

@DefyingFates

Good point about Veronica. It's been a little while since I played the story, so I forgot to include that, but one thing this book did was bring Veronica and Alfonse closer relationally. If Lif and Thrasir is anything to go by, these two have the potential to be at least friends, if not more. This may have been the first time she realized how much she cares about Alfonse, too.

Edited by Mercakete

I just hope Book 5 comes at the usual time in December.

I'm going to be very disappointed if they just give us a little Xenologue and we end up waiting after Christmas and New Year's for it.

I wonder if there is any precedent for Xenologues coming without a banner. The next new heroes banner isn't for about 3 weeks which is longer than normal.

7 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I just hope Book 5 comes at the usual time in December.

I'm going to be very disappointed if they just give us a little Xenologue and we end up waiting after Christmas and New Year's for it.

I wonder if there is any precedent for Xenologues coming without a banner. The next new heroes banner isn't for about 3 weeks which is longer than normal.

The first couple of Xenologues had nothing to do with banners. 

The next New Heroes banner is on the normal schedule. Typically each month we get a legendary/mythic banner, a New Heroes banner, and a Special Heroes banner, about 10 days between each. 

I feel like the only reason Freyja got off so easily is because she's conventionally good-looking. If they made her look like Surtr or Hel, no one would give a shit.

12 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Good point about Veronica. It's been a little while since I played the story, so I forgot to include that, but one thing this book did was bring Veronica and Alfonse closer relationally. If Lif and Thrasir is anything to go by, these two have the potential to be at least friends, if not more. This may have been the first time she realized how much she cares about Alfonse, too.

#VeronicaxAlfonseOTPFireEmblemCcuple

This would be an interesting twist for a FE Lord pairing and low key I've shipped this since Book 2

Also hopefully they add Jake for Anna

But who would Sharena get with  would it be Peony?

Edited by PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld

14 hours ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

#VeronicaxAlfonseOTPFireEmblemCcuple

This would be an interesting twist for a FE Lord pairing and low key I've shipped this since Book 2

Also hopefully they add Jake for Anna

But who would Sharena get with  would it be Peony?

Yeah, after Lif and Thrasir I've kind of shipped Alfonse with Veronica, too. I also heavily ship Hrid and Leavateinn for reasons I've described elsewhere. And YES I want a FEH Jake for Anna SO BADLY. Maybe he'll be the freebie for the next book? Maybe...? Or at least be included...? If book 3 was an Alfonse highlight and book 4 was a Sharena highlight, maybe book 5 will be an Anna highlight before the final book? Maybe having a Jake in her life will change Anna enough for me to like her. That'd be nice.

As for Sharena, who says she even needs to be shipped? I feel like she and Bruno (at least so far) make good representatives for those happily single.

Honestly, each book has actually made me like the idea of Alfonse and Veronica more. The Dragalia Lost crossover helped with that too. 😄

I feel like the intention of Sharena and Peony was sister-like.

Edited by Sentinel07

So, with Freyja and Triandra coming upon the next New Heroes banner, Freyr's the only book 4 character not available in Heroes in the forseeable future. I'm beginning to think that the poor guy was just a plot tool for Freyja to try to get people to feel bad for her. Yeesh. I feel really sorry for him...

If IS decides to pay attention to him someday, I think he'd make a good Christmas unit. Spreading good dreams on the night before all the gift-giving, a sort of "Father Christmas" sort of look... Maybe a holly wreath circlet and a big, heavy coat or something. Maybe have his eyes open, even just a bit... Maybe he could actually smile for a change... *sigh* He has such potential, but I don't know if IS is interested in exploring it...

55 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

So, with Freyja and Triandra coming upon the next New Heroes banner, Freyr's the only book 4 character not available in Heroes in the forseeable future. I'm beginning to think that the poor guy was just a plot tool for Freyja to try to get people to feel bad for her. Yeesh. I feel really sorry for him...

If IS decides to pay attention to him someday, I think he'd make a good Christmas unit. Spreading good dreams on the night before all the gift-giving, a sort of "Father Christmas" sort of look... Maybe a holly wreath circlet and a big, heavy coat or something. Maybe have his eyes open, even just a bit... Maybe he could actually smile for a change... *sigh* He has such potential, but I don't know if IS is interested in exploring it...

He'll get a regular version sometime in Book 5. Remember, this time last year we only had two of the Book 3 OCs, and we've gotten both Lif and Hel since then.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

He'll get a regular version sometime in Book 5. Remember, this time last year we only had two of the Book 3 OCs, and we've gotten both Lif and Hel since then.

Yeah, maybe, but IS doesn't really care much about their male characters besides Alfonse so I'm not entirely confident.

Also, after reading Sharena's thing on new heroes and stuff, we finally have it clarified what happened with Freyja (and why she's light element.) Turns out, she used to basically be a love goddess and live in the land of dreams with her brother. But because she was teased as a kid, and because her brother cared about more than just her, she WAY overreacted and moved to the realm of nightmares, and THEN harnessed nightmare power SO THAT she could harass the humans SO THAT her brother would ignore everything besides her. ... Soooo massive temper tantrum, basically. HOWEVER she is not naturally the queen of nightmares. She became that way. Hence, light element (similar deal to Mila's position as a sort of love goddess.)

10 hours ago, Othin said:

Freyr getting a regular version would be pretty bullshit though. I mean, while I don't like how over half of the mythic units are OCs and how we've gotten so many of them in a row, if Freyr really is the dream king he deserves to be a mythic more than the four dancer fairies. He and Freyja make the most sense to be mythic units from a story perspective.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Freyr getting a regular version would be pretty bullshit though. I mean, while I don't like how over half of the mythic units are OCs and how we've gotten so many of them in a row, if Freyr really is the dream king he deserves to be a mythic more than the four dancer fairies. He and Freyja make the most sense to be mythic units from a story perspective.

By "regular version", I mean "normal Freyr" as we've seen him, released as a mythic. (As opposed to only showing up as a seasonal alt.)

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

By "regular version", I mean "normal Freyr" as we've seen him, released as a mythic. (As opposed to only showing up as a seasonal alt.)

Oh, lol, I completely misunderstood that then 😛

Not releasing Freyr as a unit would be pretty weird, tbh. Gustav and Henriette make sense at least because they're the parents of the main characters, and Veronica and Bruno seem to be absent because their arc "isn't done".

29 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Not releasing Freyr as a unit would be pretty weird, tbh.

No it wouldn’t. Freyja’s entire motivation was wanting to be with Freyr, and as such it would make sense from a story perspective to never make Freyr playable.

Oh wait, why am I even looking for story reasons? IS already showed with making Hel playable that they don’t give a shit about conflicting with the story if it can make them money.

... I'm not gonna lie, it's kiiiiiind of disgusting how much they're trying to shove down the players' throats that "Look, look, Freyja is really good and you should feel sorry for her! YOU MUST LOVE HER!" with that last video. Villains and antagonists can have sympathetic beginnings while their actions in the ends are not justified. If Freyja was the same character she is now but looked like Hel and Surtr had a lovechild, no one would care about her.

Also, didn't she literally say right before she "died" that she only wanted tools and never actually cared about Triandra and Plumeria? I remember there were some people who were not happy about Eir forgiving Hel at the end of book 3, and what the fuck is this?

Regarding the Book 4 ending video:

Looks like Lif, Thrasir, Plumeria, and Triandra will all be involved in Book 5 somehow. Interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Edited by Othin