Should I skip finishing FE4 and go to FE5 or push myself to finish FE4?

Busterman64

Ok, I'll be a little descriptive of my time with the game. (You don't have to read it, but I wanted to put some context on some things)

So I've tried to playthrough FE4 multiple times for the past... 4 or so years. Almost all of them ended because I kept getting side tracked. This current playthrough, however, I've reached Chapter 5...the farthest I've ever reached...since I really kept my focus on it this time. Here 's the problem though...I'm...not having the most of fun with it. I mean...some parts are fun, but for the most part...it feels like it's biggest feature is it's biggest flaw for me. Large maps to traverse isn't a new thing to FE, but...I can't play how I want to. It's cavalry units or bust in this game and while I like cavalry units...they're the answer to most things in this game. The only other alternative is a pegasus knight...but you have to wait so long for before you get one(and only get one in Gen 1).

I know infantry units can work well and I enjoy using them...but getting them around takes too long. Also...very important thing to mention...and a personal nitpick...Armor knights are trash in this game and it depresses me (one of my favorite classes btw). :sob: 

Honestly...the most fun I have with this game...is when I don't have to spread out too much and when I can use all my units in a given situation.

There's also how the other mechanics in this game work, like Gold and "trading" works that add to my issues, but I don't want to go super deep into it.

I think what sucks the most is that I really like the story. I already have a GENERAL idea of what happens in FE4, but without most of the context. If anything...I would continue the game for that...but...I could just look at it online. I rather just playthrough the game to see more of the story, but I really rather not. Also...forgive me If I'm not explaining myself clear enough on why this game doesn't seem to be working to well for me...I want to like it more...but while I can deal with some issues...the issues kinda weight on me after a while.

Now...I'm pretty sure I CAN just push on to the end...but I kinda want to play FE5. I know it has A LOT of BS and whatnot...but I kinda want to give it a go. I mean...I've played through and beaten FE6 & FE10 multiple times...so I'm sure I can handle whatever that game has to throw at me! (Famous last words)

Plus...I don't know a whole lot about the game besides the fact it happens during Gen 2 of FE4 and what people say about it(mainly that's it kinda BS). A few snipets of info here and there, but nothing really major. I played the first map just to get a look at things and...it seems fun to me. I think it helps that it feels more in line with how most FE games work. The capture mechanic seems interesting as well. The game just...peaks my interests.

So...tell me straight...should I just suck it up and beat FE4 (just so I don't have to do it again until a remake comes into existence  ) or should I get filled in on the rest of FE4 online and get to FE5 already?

Edited by Busterman64

Well skipping from 4 to 5 and then back to 4 isn't a great idea but if you want to take a break from 4 then yeah, go ahead I guess.

Though one idea to make FE4 more fun is to not try to play the chapters in one sitting or even one day, if you're tired with a map take a break and come back later. 

Edited by This boi uses Nino

If you aren't enjoying playing it, but still want to experience the story you could always watch/read a lets play of FE4. Seeing as the opening screen of FE5 spoils some key events in chapter 5, you might want to find some way to experience that chapter before starting FE5. If you can power your way through chapter 8, the events of FE5 extend that far into FE4, so experiencing that would make sure FE5 wont spoil any of the events of FE4.

If you ever find a game no longer fun to play, then yes you should stop, FE4 is a meaty S.O.B and your only halfway through, so don't waste what hours you have left on Earth, playing something you don't enjoy, just go to Thracia, it's a pretty fun game partially because of some of its BS, and I think you'll enjoy it. 

Lots of people take a break in between FE4 gen 1 and FE4 gen 2 to play Thracia since technically speaking Thracia is a "midquel" and it falls in between the two parts of Genealogy on the timeline. So you could do that.

I'm also playing FE4 right now and I agree it's incredibly tedious in places. There's not much you can do about the "march your army to one side of the map! now turn around and march slooooooooooooooowly to the opposite side" dynamic but I also HATE the gold/item management system so tbh i just turned on an infinite money cheat. I know, i know: the micromanagement is part of the game and I'm "missing out" by doing this. But I just really found that to be so incredibly annoying I know i would never finish if I had to deal with the clunky way it was implemented so I am going around it. You might want to try that too if you are interested in just plowing through it to see the story.

FWIW I absolutely loved Thracia. It's really different from FE4 in terms of gameplay. It's cheap as hell sometimes (they did that purposefully in order to try to sell guides lol) but it's still super fun. FE4 so far does feel like a slog, but it's still a very interesting experience so I would recommend trying to get through it at some point, using cheats if you feel like it. Actually, now that I think of it I think there are also cheats for "infinite actions per turn" which if that includes move could help some of the tedium of marching to and fro.

Oh and if you want a good video guide to Thracia I really liked this one:

hought it was almost as fun as the game itself lol.

Edited by Mjolnir
Added a rec for a guide

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is a challenging game. It's not the hardest out there though, so I would give it a try. If you think it's too hard put it down and play another fire emblem that you think will challenge you, but that you can beat. If you feel comfortable, or like you can try it again then pick it up.

Another thing. It won't hold your hand. I think this is why it's considered so challenging. It will tell you not to do something, or tip you off to it, but it will not stop you from making it. I lost my whole party from not listening to what leif said in chapter 4, but that was my fault completely.

It's okay to let a unit stay dead. Especially in this game, where if you give into FOMO you will tear your hair out. Any unit can become better if you use scrolls, so losing a unit doesn't hurt as much as other games. One last thing. Good luck and have fun.

P.S. I have no clue how to delete these spoiler tags, I also don't know why I clicked the eye icon.

Finish FE4 before thinking about starting FE5. The thing is, Thracia is the most difficult game in the series, considering we talk about normal difficulty, and playing the game blind. It also has things that can punish you not for playing it badly, but just for playing it. Still, I'd suggest to give it a try, but first finish FE4.

As an FE4aholic, I'd say skip it and go to FE5 elite mode specifically. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but a blind run on a raw FE5 can get just as frustrating as moving mounted units in the desert. FE4 second part is a little more straight forward than the first part's Augustria and Silesia chapters. I feel as though the second part of FE4 is also more forgiving as long as you made some beastly pairings unlike me who loves the torture of pairing Arden with Sylvia for no benefit whatsoever.