All special 'Area of Focus' Goals for units from Lectures.

Jacien

On each Lecture day, a student might come up and propose a change of goals, the game labels them as an "Area of Focus". Whether you accept or decline, it gets added to their list of Goals, with a custom title

For example, here's Petra offering to focus in sword/bow:

Spoiler

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Then when going to Goals in the Menu, you find it's called "Thief With a Heart of Gold"

Spoiler

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

I liked these, because it's flavor text for each character, as both their explanation and the Goal's title is tailored for that character.

On my 2nd playthrough, a Blue Lions path with the goal to prep for New Game Plus, I started cataloging whichever Goal change popped up, and it's nowhere near complete.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/evgcd9vb4a5wwc1/AADwVLPO4kYBK5QvBgnvWQKma?dl=0

Since I recruited all students, Dimitri never came up once, and I liked his offers on my first playthrough, haha. One of them mentioned about following in his father's footsteps.

This is probably something that can be datamined, but I'm not too sure where to look for it at the moment. So I linked what I've collected so far. I got 2 of Anna's too in there. I'm guessing for each unit there's 3 at most, as a good handful of them have gotten that, but not sure if it applies to everyone.

I'm in the middle of a Golden Deer playthrough, and the only new ones I've gotten was one for Annette and two for Claude. I only recruited Annette, Ingrid, and Petra for this run, as they have supports with Claude.

Here is a pastebin I got from datamining all the flavor text: https://pastebin.com/DHtnfctw

Edited by Jacien

There was a similar thread in October with a pretty long, if not comprehensive, list. It doesn't have everyone's explanations for choosing their goals, but I hope it still helps!

12 minutes ago, Jacien said:

I liked these, because it's flavor text for each character, as both their explanation and the Goal's title is tailored for that character.

I like them too! You're right, it does provide some insight into everyone and it's pretty neat!

Awesome, thanks for that link, that'll help so I know what to look for.

Marianne having 4 is awesome too. She's a special one. 🙂

Only things we need fresh datamining for is Anna and Jeritza.

I'm torn between wishing there was a gameplay incentive for going with their suggestion (say, restoring motivation, or giving a 1.5x boost), and being glad that, in not offering one, they reinforce the "freedom" of raising your units however you want.

It's great flavor text too, for sure.

Yeah, I remember at the start some folks incorrectly assumed it was a 1.5x boost, but that was because of the Goals that was only 1 Skill, so they misunderstood it.

I like how it's more of a gentle guidance, telling you what the unit would most likely be better suited to.

And  yeah, the flavor text is my main motivation for compiling all of this. Digging around the patch files to see where the text is stored for this for Anna and Jertiza lol.

Okay, so the latest patch folder, in patch3\common\common\ the files that have the explanations are scrdata.bin and scrdataDLC.bin

I couldn't find the file that has the titles of each goal, so I copied from @Silent Mercenary's list, and added the entries to mine.

I have it all in this Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/DHtnfctw

I'm missing Anna's Great Knight goal title. Once I get that I'll edit it in, and it's complete as of 1.1.0. I'll continue adding screenshots as I get them, but that's the complete list.

There's an oddity with Marianne's.  Her "Friend of the Animals" repeats 4 times. No idea what's with that. In fact, I wonder if it's actually unused in the final game. I haven't seen others mention they've gotten that before.

Edited by Jacien

20 hours ago, Jacien said:

I couldn't find the file that has the titles of each goal, so I copied from @Silent Mercenary's list, and added the entries to mine.

I have it all in this Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/DHtnfctw

Neat, thanks for sharing this!

I think the most striking thing I saw was that neither of Claude's "suggested goals" included his signature weapon, the bow. It really feels like each Lord could use a third path - off the top of my head, Axe/Flight for Edelgard, Bow/Riding for Claude, and Lance/Authority for Dimitri.

Speaking of Authority, it seems only the Lords get it as a suggestion. Which makes sense, in the context of Authority only providing those three with access to certain classes. But it's a shame that certain units who especially benefit from high Authority (Hubert, Ingrid, and Lorenz due to their personal skills; Ignatz and Annette due to their rally potential) never bring it up.

22 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Neat, thanks for sharing this!

I think the most striking thing I saw was that neither of Claude's "suggested goals" included his signature weapon, the bow. It really feels like each Lord could use a third path - off the top of my head, Axe/Flight for Edelgard, Bow/Riding for Claude, and Lance/Authority for Dimitri.

Speaking of Authority, it seems only the Lords get it as a suggestion. Which makes sense, in the context of Authority only providing those three with access to certain classes. But it's a shame that certain units who especially benefit from high Authority (Hubert, Ingrid, and Lorenz due to their personal skills; Ignatz and Annette due to their rally potential) never bring it up.

Don't Ignatz and Annette start with it as their original goal though? (and i think original goals remain in the list).

image.png.4a10d5be62106867d846697f3047f0af.png

So I compile something useful that nobody else has provided, and get warned for that?

Really? We're in the year 2019, archaic rules such as "no double posting" are obsolete by now. It doesn't harm anyone or anything, and not a single person was complaining about it.

There is literally no purpose for a moderator to try to strong-arm users on a video game message board.  All it does is show your insecurity.

15 hours ago, Jacien said:

image.png.4a10d5be62106867d846697f3047f0af.png

So I compile something useful that nobody else has provided, and get warned for that?

Really? We're in the year 2019, archaic rules such as "no double posting" are obsolete by now. It doesn't harm anyone or anything, and not a single person was complaining about it.

There is literally no purpose for a moderator to try to strong-arm users on a video game message board.  All it does is show your insecurity.

It doesn't appear that you were penalized for any of the content you shared, but for the manner in which you did it (double-posting, when you could have, apparently should have, used the edit function on your prior comment to introduce the new information). I don't particularly see the harm, but them's the rules.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo

10 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Way to deal with that privately and maturely, dude.

Mature or not (and likely to result in another penalty either way), I understand and agree with their frustration. Sometimes, double posting or multiposting is a completely valid organizational tool, and it is archaic and counterproductive to penalize it universally and without context.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It doesn't appear that you were penalized for any of the content you shared, but for the manner in which you did it (double-posting, when you could have, apparently should have, used the edit function on your prior comment to introduce the new information). I don't particularly see the harm, but them's the rules.

And it's unfortunate. From a strictly organizational sense, it can be useful, for example, to put forth a list thread, while putting ones own list in a second post. Or to make, say, an analysis of each house in its own post, with reserved posts if need be. These are pretty standard post formats on other forums.

Or, you know. Bumping. Sometimes a thread that ran its course in the past is once again relevant due to a new game or just the simple passage of time.

But... I guess it is what it is.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

And it's unfortunate. From a strictly organizational sense, it can be useful, for example, to put forth a list thread, while putting ones own list in a second post. Or to make, say, an analysis of each house in its own post, with reserved posts if need be. These are pretty standard post formats on other forums.

Or, you know. Bumping. Sometimes a thread that ran its course in the past is once again relevant due to a new game or just the simple passage of time.

But... I guess it is what it is.

Apparently, there are exceptions. Here copied, from the "code of conduct" thread:

Spoiler

Do not double-post. If somebody hasn't posted after your post and you need to add something, simply edit your existing post. Some exceptions/notes:

If for some reason you accidentally double post, report it noting this. You will not be punished.

If you have a project thread, and you must bump it to alert people of an update you just made.

If you have an art thread, and you must bump it to alert people of an update you just made.

When in doubt, ask a mod.

So it's not quite universal. Although, it's fairly apparent that this thread wasn't any of these three cases. Ultimately, the mods are obligated to enforce the existing rules fairly, and I think pushing back (particularly, in a public manner) at them for doing so, is a mistake. If the rules ought to be changed, that's something that can be brought up in its own time and place.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Added link to "code of conduct"