Changes you wish to see in potential remakes

Thane

52 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

But that's only relevant in the endgame. Also, Sanaki has a base mag of 33 which will quickly increase as she has more time and room to grow while Calill only gets to that level at lvl 14 tier 3. Most units aren't going to be that level at the start of endgame, let alone Calill who has less of an enemy phase than most physical units and less availability than them.

At the same time, Sanaki herself is even squishier than Calill, and while she hits hard, she can't double much of anything because she's weighed down.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

For Thracia:

• Remove staves missing
  • Make things more clear that you should have Leif escape last on Escape maps, as well as adding a warning if you try to have Leif escape without having everyone else already escaping.
  • Make it so that you can manually reposition units on the prep screen instead of just hoping to god they're placed where you want them to be at the start of the map
  • Add support conversations (again)

This feels like the best basis to start from for Thracia, I would add onto that the following

• If we are removing staff misses its only fair to remove staff doubling as well.
  • Make it easier to distinguished the forest and impassible thicket tiles.
  • Make it subtle, but have a way of seeing trap tiles.
  • Have there be some means of personally recovering from the status types other than poison
  • Add another faction color so Green isn't used as both enemy and allied factions
  • Make determining critical hit rates less obtuse

7 hours ago, Zemuria said:

0-100 % hitrate

That 1-99% hit rate makes it so you are never perfectly safe, and that adds so much to the oppressive tone and atmosphere of Lief's desperate struggle in Thracia 776.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

For FE4, get rid of the Pawn Shop. It's a backwards-ass way of Trading that makes no sense when the games before and after it had regular Trading.

The only way I could see them getting rid of the pawn shop is to remove trading altogether. Equipment in Genealogy of the Holy War is meant to be something personal to the characters, so much so that they can be passed down for generations as heirlooms. This is built into so many of the mechanics surrounding items, from only getting dropped weapons from commander like trophey's of war (instead of from generic thief number 5), to the way character use a personal supply of gold to repair weapons (instead of buying identical replacements from the shop with communal gold like other fire emblems), and even the way you build up weapon's legacy with kills until its gained a vicious crit rate, all culminating in passing items onto the next generation. Treating weapons like other fire emblem games would take away a large part of what makes Genealogy of the Holy War about Genealogy, as much as transforming the Crests of Three Houses into class skills for balance reasons would take away part of what makes Three Houses about the Three Houses.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
missing key word

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That 1-99% hit rate makes it so you are never perfectly safe, and that adds so much to the oppressive tone and atmosphere of Lief's desperate struggle in Thracia 776.

Still, uncertainty for the sake of uncertainty is a shitty idea and needs to go.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Still, uncertainty for the sake of uncertainty is a shitty idea and needs to go.

If you want to get ride of uncertainty that is there for the sake of uncertainty than hit, avoid, crit, and crit avoid should be removed entirely in favor of a more deterministic Fire Emblem Heroes approach to combat.

13 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If you want to get ride of uncertainty that is there for the sake of uncertainty than hit, avoid, crit, and crit avoid should be removed entirely in favor of a more deterministic Fire Emblem Heroes approach to combat.

Way to take that out of context. My point is, even if it fits in terms of story, it's a complete disaster for gameplay.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Marth is branded a traitor and on the run in Mystery of the Emblem but that game still has a 0-100% hitrate. I'm with Shadow Mir, a 1-99% hitrate is bullshit. And even if it somehow adds to the tone and atmosphere of Thracia (spoilers, it doesn't), it's very minimal and detrimental to the actual game.

The only way I could see them getting rid of the pawn shop is to remove trading altogether. Equipment in Genealogy of the Holy War is meant to be something personal to the characters, so much so that they can be passed down for generations as heirlooms. This is built into so many of the mechanics surrounding items, from only getting dropped weapons from commander like trophey's of war (instead of from generic thief number 5), to the way character use a personal supply of gold to repair weapons (instead of buying identical replacements from the shop with communal gold like other fire emblems), and even the way you build up weapon's legacy with kills until its gained a vicious crit rate, all culminating in passing items onto the next generation.

And? Genealogy's entire game is wack and filled with bad game design choices (and Thracia somehow managed to outdo that, i'm impressed). If the entire item system needs to be reworked, then so be it. I'd rather strip Geneaolgy of it's identity and get a fun game in return than have it be unique but a pain in the ass to play. And the whole "passing down thing" can still be kept in the end.

Treating weapons like other fire emblem games would take away a large part of what makes Genealogy of the Holy War about Genealogy, as much as transforming the Crests of Three Houses into class skills for balance reasons would take away part of what makes Three Houses about the Three Houses.

Considering that Crests is literally just Personal Skills 2 and the fact that items exist that give characters other Crests so that even Crestless folk can use them, this point is moot. 

Binding Blade

• Echo on gaiden chapter requirements
  • Roy getting another promotion wouldn't be bad
  • the weapon repair system from 3H
  • Bonus EXP like the Tellius games needs to be in everything

Blazing Blade

• Lyn's story role being enhanced would be great
  • additionally unlimited supports albeit you choose the endings they get
  • Also the weapon repair system
  • Bonus EXP once again

Sacred Stones

•  Personally, I would just want a few more class additions along with
  • the repair system and
  • unlimited supports (no bonus exp since SS allows for unlimited grinding as it is)

PoR (haven't played so yeah)

Radiant Dawn

• Either Make the Dawn Brigade actually decent at the start, or give them more chapters to easily gain exp to be decent
  • power up Laguz so they can actually be used outside of the royals
  • Support Conversations would be nice, sorry for those who like the free flow lack of actual meaningful supports, I'd rather have limited, meaningful supports instead of what we got
  • Make Nephenees growth rates and caps even higher and have her be able to land the final blow on the final boss (this is a joke. Nephenee is OP enough as it is, just giving her some love)

Shadow Dragon - Not talking about it because most of its issues were fixed with new mystery

New Mystery

• HAVE THIS RELEASE GLOBALLY
  • Despite Kris being a good foreshadow and precursor to Robin, flex out their character some, as they're more of a Mary Sue than Corrin or Byleth can be, though that is partly why I like them (referring to Kris)
  •  Gaiden Chapter guides once again

Awakening

• Better lore and story enhancements for the Valm Arc, Chrom's dad, Rosanne (in a fic I read it was a major food supplier for the continent, use that!), Explain Grima some more like his multi-timeline presence abilities
  • More support conversations and options
  • Infantry Lance classline, I want Sentinels in this game

Fates

• fix a lot of the lore and story issues and the game would be a lot better. Its gameplay is fine thought I dislike the pairup interpretation. 
  • Also have the game be more like 3 Houses

Echoes

• Doubt this would get a remake since it's a remake itself (I know New Mystery is, the only reason I think that would get remade again is because no one played it) 
  • Map Design was arguably one of the games biggest flaws, though I didn't mind it, it'll get people to shut up about it
  • Celica's story fell flat at its end, so fix that
  • otherwise, don't change anything, game was great.

Three Houses

• Considering the game isn't fully done with additional content this is subjective to change but
  • A lot of people have had problems with the story and some characters, mainly everything with Edelgard and most of the male cast. While I myself don't see a problem with this, a lot of people just don't understand Edelgard and end up hating her and the Black Eagles entirely. i don't know what they can do but I guess make Edelgard's motivations more clear and how this will impact Fodlan more
  • more classes, I know we're getting more in the upcoming dlc and they have been rumored/leaked, but balance the mastery classes out from so many mounts and I'd also like an infantry lance line again
  • I would say increase growth rates, since some houses are considerately weaker than others. most of black eagles are outclassed by BL and GD. Axe? Hilda tops Caspar, Bow? Leonie yawns (though Bernadetta has often been good for me, a lot of people say she's unusable), Cavalry unit? Leonie and Sylvain yawn. Healer? Mercedes tops all, Mage? Lysithea is leagues above Dorothea. Hubert is definitely a lot less useful compared to Dedue's tankiness, or Hilda's perfect balance of bulk, offense, and speed. Sword unit? Felix cuts the competition. I feel it's best that while each house has archetypes and a wild card, BE's usually end up underperforming compared to the other houses other than Edelgard and maybe Bernadetta and Dorothea (tbh she does have utility as a high-ish damage siege mage)
  • for ng+, get rid of the tutorials, we know how to play the game.

I know all this is a hot take, but it's my choices, because hey, at least I didn't say put Awakening gale-force on every unit in every game.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is uncertainty for the sake of 1)never being invincible because they can't it you at all and 2) create tension even if you are a good player.

Most western rpg have 5-95% hitrates and it works very well, but those games usually don't have you live and die by a single hit(except Underrail, fuck Underrail.) Actually, 5-95 imo is far better than 1-99 because the former is large enought to always be a consideration and makes people avoid reckless strategies, while the latter is so minor people will forget about it untill it bit them in the Ass. Healing and other support action is straight up bullshit tho.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Marth is branded a traitor and on the run in Mystery of the Emblem but that game still has a 0-100% hitrate. I'm with Shadow Mir, a 1-99% hitrate is bullshit. And even if it somehow adds to the tone and atmosphere of Thracia (spoilers, it doesn't), it's very minimal and detrimental to the actual game.

And? Genealogy's entire game is wack and filled with bad game design choices (and Thracia somehow managed to outdo that, i'm impressed). If the entire item system needs to be reworked, then so be it. I'd rather strip Geneaolgy of it's identity and get a fun game in return than have it be unique but a pain in the ass to play. And the whole "passing down thing" can still be kept in the end.

Considering that Crests is literally just Personal Skills 2 and the fact that items exist that give characters other Crests so that even Crestless folk can use them, this point is moot. 

As far hit rates go, by that logic, anything that isn't 100% is bullshit and you might as well not play if the game has constant 100% rates.

FE4 is different, which makes it fun. Unlike the GBA era, where all 3 games are the exact same. I dont think there's anything wrong with it being unique.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Way to take that out of context. My point is, even if it fits in terms of story, it's a complete disaster for gameplay.

Welcome to Fire Emblem, where the series is a mess gameplay wise and it's never going to be balanced. Saying its unbalanced is silly, since they all are, this is a very weak argument, in my opinion your just fishing for an excuse to harp on the game, while excusing all the others for their shit balance.

45 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Is uncertainty for the sake of 1)never being invincible because they can't it you at all

So actually balance the game by making enemy units actually have hit rates and not have sub 10% hit the whole game and when a player unit dies it's to 5% hit.

I love Thracia, but RNG can get so bullshitty sometimes. And the fact the enemy quality is low (Why the hell do most enemies on the final map have ~110 hit while you can very easy reach 100 Avoid (2*Spd + Lck + Kingmaker/Charisma + Supports+Leadership). And once you kill Mus the enemies lose 20 hit, so yeah, ~90 hit enemies on final map.)? And them being numerous just adds more RNG.

TBF though this is a big problem with most older FE. Super Low Enemy quality but have them in huge Numbers. Especially bad in FE4 though.

Make it hard for the player to get low enemy hit rate but don't just hardcap for lolrng. 

FE4 is different, which makes it fun

To an extent. I love FE4 more than half the series, but so much tedious stuff can be removed without it losing it's identity and make the game even more fun @lightcosmo

Edited by Shrimperor

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Welcome to Fire Emblem, where the series is a mess gameplay wise and it's never going to be balanced. Saying its unbalanced is silly, since they all are, this is a very weak argument, in my opinion your just fishing for an excuse to harp on the game, while excusing all the others for their shit balance.

Except we're talking about one of the games that's the nadir (read: low point) for gameplay, as far as the series is concerned. No other FE game does this, so why the fuck should Thracia get a free pass on this bullshit? Having stuff like that doesn't help its case when it's already among the absolute worst games gameplay wise (imo, anyway)

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

As far hit rates go, by that logic, anything that isn't 100% is bullshit and you might as well not play if the game has constant 100% rates.

That is not what i said at all. I said that 0-100% hitrates are much better than 1-99% hitrates because at least the former gives you a degree of garuantee, which is good for a series where losing a unit either means restarting the map or never getting them back.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

FE4 is different, which makes it fun

Different=/=fun. I'd far rather play the GBA FEs because while they do have their share of flaws, it's a much more enjoyable experience with overall less bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

That is not what i said at all. I said that 0-100% hitrates are much better than 1-99% hitrates because at least the former gives you a degree of garuantee, which is good for a series where losing a unit either means restarting the map or never getting them back.

Different=/=fun. I'd far rather play the GBA FEs because while they do have their share of flaws, it's a much more enjoyable experience with overall less bullshit. 

A degree of guarantee is kinda odd when playing a game based around a % system. Crits happen in other fe games and force restarts, should those be removed as well?

What do you define as bullshit? Like stated before, random crits are bull.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Except we're talking about one of the games that's the nadir (read: low point) for gameplay, as far as the series is concerned. No other game does this, so why the fuck should Thracia get a free pass on this bullshit? Having stuff like that doesn't help its case when it's already among the absolute worst games gameplay wise (imo, anyway)

No game gets a pass, but you seem to believe that all other games are flawless.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

What do you define as bullshit? Like stated before, random crits are bull.

Except crits roll after the hit. If you don't hit, you don't crit. Seems fair. And most of the time, crit-rates are sub-10%.

Losing to a crit is aggrivating though.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Except i don't. I don't even know where you got that impression. There's no such thing as a flawless game period.

For RD:

• Rebalance mages and their enemies so that they're actually useful. One of the main lords is a mage, she shouldn't be so useless to use!
  • Give the Dawn Brigade more chapters to focus on them so they can actually be on par with the Greil mercs.
  • For the love of everything good fix the supports. I'm okay with everyone being able to support everyone, but some combinations should have support conversations. You can keep the open system but just make it so that some support pairs have unique conversations (eg Micaiah/Sothe/Ike/Sanaki, Ike/Elincia/Ranulf/Soren/Titania/Mist, Elincia/Geoffrey/Lucia).
  • Ike's ending needs to be so different.
  • Fix the laguz
  • Fix availability of units OR level scale them

For Fates:

• Garon. Just Garon. Rewrite him and a lot of problems with the story go away.
  • Also Anankos.
  • Corrin's dragon form needs more incentive to use it.
  • The kids need to go. They made no sense in this game. Either make them entirely not canon or remove them, that dimension realm stuff was so bad.
  • Fix the balance between the regular units and the royals.

For 3H:

• Remove the Slitherers and rewrite the plot to allow for that, please. They're easily the worst part of 3H and serve to drag every character associated with them down alongside them.
  • Fix balancing between characters. There's no reason for so many BE characters to be so bad in combat.
  • Add classes. Please add more classes.
  • Make Dimitri's promotion mounted to balance the movement types (not something that needs to be done, it would just be cool)
  • Fix pacing issues. For example make White Clouds shorter and extend the post-timeskip.
  • Make White Clouds differ in chapters per house. Keep Remire, Flayn, the class battle royales, and everything after Jeralt's death but the other stuff can be changed by house.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Except crits roll after the hit. If you don't hit, you don't crit. Seems fair. And most of the time, crit-rates are sub-10%.

Losing to a crit is aggrivating though.

Except i don't. I don't even know where you got that impression. There's no such thing as a flawless game period.

Sub 10%...? I cant tell you how many 2% crits have screwed a great run up, meaning its bullshit by those terms

That... wasn't directed at you as I didn't quote you there. sorry for the misconception. 

Edited by lightcosmo

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

What do you define as bullshit?

Missing a 99 because the game decided there's no 100% is the definition of bullshit. Your Crit arguement doesn't work because it isn't something hardcoded like the 1-99% ceiling because Kaga decided it's fun for the players to die even though they should've had 100 hit.

Also, western games with 5%-95% thing doesn't work either. We are talking about a game with perma death here.

Edited by Shrimperor

30 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

No I don't. Where do you get that impression from? I just don't see the need to bring up most other games' flaws because they don't bother me nearly as much.

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That... wasn't directed at you as I didn't quote you there. sorry for the misconception. 

Oh my bad. I read too fast and saw my username in the quote. Apologies.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Missing a 99 because the game decided there's no 100% is the definition of bullshit. Your Crit arguement doesn't work because it isn't something hardcoded like the 1-99% ceiling because Kaga decided it's fun for the players to die even though they should've had 100 hit.

Also, western games with 5%-95% thing doesn't work either. We are talking about a game with perma death here.

So your logic is, because its random it's not bullshit? That's absurd, 1% doesnt make that big of a difference, if the game used 2rn, it would be fine, nothing to do with the 1% difference, which like I said is so minimal unlike say, the absurd growth unbalance of every damn FE game? Please, there are much worse issues than a simple 1%.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

No I don't. I just don't see the need to bring up most other games' flaws because they don't bother me nearly as much.

Bother you, maybe but that doesnt mean they aren't issues at all. They bother me, therefore it's a huge issue, obviously.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

So your logic is, because its random it's not bullshit?

No, my logic is Math. If i have a 165 hit and enemy 45 avoid, then i should have 100% hit. However the game decides i have 99 hit. And i missed quite a couple of 99 in Thracia which made me reset the chapter. Not fun.

Enemy getting a 1 hit that should've rightly been 0 is bullshit, too, but i can see an arguement why you don't want hit to be 0. But a 100 should always be a 100, and not a 99, period.

if the game used 2rn

Thracia doesn't.

Please, there are much worse issues than a simple 1%.

There's, doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Edited by Shrimperor

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Bother you, maybe but that doesnt mean they aren't issues at all. They bother me, therefore it's a huge issue, obviously.

I never said they weren't issues. I just think anything detrimental to gameplay is more likely than not to get my attention. Like, for example, Radiant Dawn having as many instances of forced units as it does. 1-8 and 4-4 in particular stand out, the former because I can only take four units of my choosing into the chapter, whereas the latter forces me to field three units I haven't gotten the chance to use since freaking part 1 (with said units not even being auto-leveled to compensate), where I'd probably minimize their use because the Daein units need the EXP more.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

No, my logic is Math. If i have a 165 hit and enemy 45 avoid, then i should ave 100 hit. However the game decides i have 99 hit. And i missed quite a couple of 99 in Thracia which made me reset the chapter. Not fun.

Enemy getting a 1 hit that should've rightly been 0 is bullshit, too, but i can see an arguement why you don't want hit to be 0. But a 100 should always be a 100, and not a 99, period.

Thracia doesn't.

There's, doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Maybe that's how they wanted to add challenge to the game.

FE is bullshit, deal with it or dont play. It's always been that way.

I know it doesnt, it could, though.

Sure, but that doesnt mean thracia is the only game with flaws. Gosh, I could mention plenty, but there are some things I accept since I assume they want them that way.

33 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

For 3H:

• Remove the Slitherers and rewrite the plot to allow for that, please. They're easily the worst part of 3H and serve to drag every character associated with them down alongside them.
  • Fix balancing between characters. There's no reason for so many BE characters to be so bad in combat.
  • Add classes. Please add more classes.
  • Make Dimitri's promotion mounted to balance the movement types (not something that needs to be done, it would just be cool)
  • Fix pacing issues. For example make White Clouds shorter and extend the post-timeskip.
  • Make White Clouds differ in chapters per house. Keep Remire, Flayn, the class battle royales, and everything after Jeralt's death but the other stuff can be changed by house.

If the slithers don't exist, wouldn't that make Edelgard entirely justified or just hard to deny fighting for?

Like, Edelgard wouldn't kill Jeralt. She wouldn't perform such a horrific action on a town like Remire. So wouldn't that basically make Edelgard a lot more righteous? The point of her allying with the slithers, no matter how much she wants to vomit blood from it, is that it makes a compelling case of how you would work with evil to destroy a greater threat. 

It's like Lelouch's Evil Paradox line:

"What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?"

Also, were you really RNG-screwed by the BE houses? Cause they were incredibly powerful. Petra, Edelgard, Bernie, Ferdie, everyone was just epic. I think there must be a conspiracy here where the RNG reacts to your own personal feelings. 

I would recommend nerfing fliers since they are legit way too OP. 

White Clouds has to be 12 chapters because each chapter narration is describing the months of the year. 

I honestly think that most of the chapters are fine in White Clouds for both Black Eagles and Blue Lions. It's Golden Deer that's most of an issue, since Claude's theme and story is about dealing with racism. 

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

No, my logic is Math. If i have a 165 hit and enemy 45 avoid, then i should have 100% hit. However the game decides i have 99 hit. And i missed quite a couple of 99 in Thracia which made me reset the chapter. Not fun.

The logic in western game is D20 simulation. 1 are miss no matter what, 20 are hit no matter what. Or more in general, the concept that the highest roll is always a success and the lowest roll always a failure.

I already said why i like it.