Changes you wish to see in potential remakes

Thane

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Maybe that's how they wanted to add challenge to the game.

That's a bullshit way to add ''challenge''. It's just luck.

FE is bullshit, deal with it or dont play.

Some FE have bullshit, with some more than others. We should strive towardz minizing bullshit and not maximizing it. 

And if your answer to everything is ''don't play'' then there's no use talking to you.

Sure, but that doesnt mean thracia is the only game with flaws. Gosh, I could mention plenty, but there are some things I accept since I assume they want them that way.

Who said Thracia is the only game with Flaws? I am only talking about Thracia right now because that's the on going topic. And a few pages ago i was talking about FE4. And while not in this Thread, whenever i talk about GBAFE it's pretty damn negative, especially FE6.

Fun Fact: Thracia is one of my favourite FEs (#4 after RD, CQ and PoR), doesn't mean i can't see alot of the bullshit it has that annoyed the shit out of me. It's just Thracia's positives super outweigh the negatives for me, but if T776 didn't have alot of the bullshit it has it could have been #1 or #2.

Edited by Shrimperor

40 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

FE is bullshit, deal with it or dont play. It's always been that way.

No offense, but that's an asshole remark to respond with, and I'm not inclined to take someone who would respond with this seriously.

22 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

If the slithers don't exist, wouldn't that make Edelgard entirely justified or just hard to deny fighting for?

Like, Edelgard wouldn't kill Jeralt. She wouldn't perform such a horrific action on a town like Remire. So wouldn't that basically make Edelgard a lot more righteous? The point of her allying with the slithers, no matter how much she wants to vomit blood from it, is that it makes a compelling case of how you would work with evil to destroy a greater threat. 

It's like Lelouch's Evil Paradox line:

Also, were you really RNG-screwed by the BE houses? Cause they were incredibly powerful. Petra, Edelgard, Bernie, Ferdie, everyone was just epic. I think there must be a conspiracy here where the RNG reacts to your own personal feelings. 

I would recommend nerfing fliers since they are legit way too OP. 

White Clouds has to be 12 chapters because each chapter narration is describing the months of the year. 

I honestly think that most of the chapters are fine in White Clouds for both Black Eagles and Blue Lions. It's Golden Deer that's most of an issue, since Claude's theme and story is about dealing with racism. 

I'd much rather support a Lelouch type character. Besides, my opinion of them is less to do with Edelgard and more to do with how cartoonishly evil they are and how pointless they end up being in the actual game (Solon and Kronya both dying so soon, only fighting Thales once, the grand total of one map on two routes the Agarthans end up getting, don't even get me started on Nemesis). If they were rewritten in a way that made them more morally gray characters - or at least more relevant in the actual game apart from backstory - to fit alongside the overall themes then I'd have much less problem with them.

As for the BE houses, I adore Petra, Ferdinand, and Edelgard. However apart from them there's someone in other houses that does their jobs better. Leonie is a better archer (and I despise Bernie's character though she did turn out better than Ashe in every playthrough). Hilda is a better axe user than Caspar. Mercedes is a better healer and mage in general than Linhardt. Felix is Felix, there's really no comparison for him. Raphael and Dedue honestly make for better tanks than Edelgard who is the only one you could consider a tank in BE and who works better as a wyvern lord than her canon promotion. Lysithea is the best mage in the game and Marianne outranks Dorothea too. My problem is less with the BE as characters because I do like most of them (Edelgard, Hubert, Petra, Dorothea, Ferdinand, and Caspar are all amazing to fine as characters) it's just that when compared to the other houses they're a little lackluster. So they could use a buff to their bases.

As for White Clouds, I say differentiate them for the replay value. I've played through White Clouds 5 times now and find myself so bored with it because there's virtually no variety. The post-timeskip definitely needs to be longer though. More battles please.

All this discussion makes me realize what I'd want on a potential Thracia remake:

Classic and Casual modes. Except, unlike other games, instead of deciding between permadeath and retreating units (though it can be part of it), it refers to the nature of the game.

Classic to play the game as it was meant to be played back in 1999; and Casual for those who want it more accessible. So Classic is the game unchanged, while Casual has stuff like full 0-100 Hit ranges, Healing Staves never miss, Fatigue works more like in SoV perhaps, Capturing doesn't halve stats maybe, Warp Tiles in maps are marked or highlighted in some way, etc.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

All this discussion makes me realize what I'd want on a potential Thracia remake:

Classic and Casual modes. Except, unlike other games, instead of deciding between permadeath and retreating units (though it can be part of it), it refers to the nature of the game.

Classic to play the game as it was meant to be played back in 1999; and Casual for those who want it more accessible. So Classic is the game unchanged, while Casual has stuff like full 0-100 Hit ranges, Healing Staves never miss, Fatigue works more like in SoV perhaps, Capturing doesn't halve stats maybe, Warp Tiles in maps are marked or highlighted in some way, etc.

I just realized something. Say they do add Casual Mode in a Thracia remake. How are they gonna handle your units being captured? Because if your units are captured after 21x, they're pretty much dead

4 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I just realized something. Say they do add Casual Mode in a Thracia remake. How are they gonna handle your units being captured? Because if your units are captured after 21x, they're pretty much dead

One thing I could see them doing is having more Paralogues in the style of 21x. So perhaps anyone captured in Chapter 22-24 then you simply rescue them in 24x alongside Eyvel.

In fact, it might happen, so they wouldn't want people to wait until 21x to get anyone back.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I'd much rather support a Lelouch type character. Besides, my opinion of them is less to do with Edelgard and more to do with how cartoonishly evil they are and how pointless they end up being in the actual game (Solon and Kronya both dying so soon, only fighting Thales once, the grand total of one map on two routes the Agarthans end up getting, don't even get me started on Nemesis). If they were rewritten in a way that made them more morally gray characters - or at least more relevant in the actual game apart from backstory - to fit alongside the overall themes then I'd have much less problem with them.

As for the BE houses, I adore Petra, Ferdinand, and Edelgard. However apart from them there's someone in other houses that does their jobs better. Leonie is a better archer (and I despise Bernie's character though she did turn out better than Ashe in every playthrough). Hilda is a better axe user than Caspar. Mercedes is a better healer and mage in general than Linhardt. Felix is Felix, there's really no comparison for him. Raphael and Dedue honestly make for better tanks than Edelgard who is the only one you could consider a tank in BE and who works better as a wyvern lord than her canon promotion. Lysithea is the best mage in the game and Marianne outranks Dorothea too. My problem is less with the BE as characters because I do like most of them (Edelgard, Hubert, Petra, Dorothea, Ferdinand, and Caspar are all amazing to fine as characters) it's just that when compared to the other houses they're a little lackluster. So they could use a buff to their bases.

As for White Clouds, I say differentiate them for the replay value. I've played through White Clouds 5 times now and find myself so bored with it because there's virtually no variety. The post-timeskip definitely needs to be longer though. More battles please.

Ah. Yeah, honestly, could have made them a little more morally grey, honestly. Like, geez. I mean, there's already indications that they hate Rhea the most of them all. So it would have been decent had they actually bothered to make the story have them not be the generic cartoonish evil as the other villains. Same with Nemesis, since we know nothing about him. Honestly, I really don't want to take everything Rhea says as the absolute fact, since this game has been all about multiple perspective, meaning that even Nemesis and the Agarthans oughta have their own perspective as well that would help understand them.

I dunno about that, as plenty of characters in the Black Eagle house are exceptionally great as units. I mean, Lysithea is Lysithea, so she goes without saying. But none of the other characters are actually as lacking compared to the other characters and would generally be able to be superior to the others. And with Edelgard and her Aymr Raging Storm, she's a monster once you reclass her to a Wyvern Lord. So perhaps the RNG is the problem here and they just didn't get as blessed in your playthroughs. Though, yes, Leonie is definitely a great unit too. 

AH, you mean the fact that they are all the exact same chapters. That is indeed very annoying. 

It's also even worse when you play non-CF routes. Like, say what you want about SS and VW being near identity, AM is also near identical to those routes as well for the first half. It's really only after Gronder Field that the route actually diverges. 

Another improvement is not reusing maps for story and paralogues. It's really annoying that we have a case that we have multiple paralogues and story maps be in the same map design. 

Also, on an aesthetic sense, can we have Faerghus maps actually... snow or something? We keep hearing about frigid lands and such and cold weather, but never once is there any indication of such weather.

25 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

However apart from them there's someone in other houses that does their jobs better. Leonie is a better archer (and I despise Bernie's character though she did turn out better than Ashe in every playthrough). Hilda is a better axe user than Caspar. Mercedes is a better healer and mage in general than Linhardt. Felix is Felix, there's really no comparison for him. Raphael and Dedue honestly make for better tanks than Edelgard who is the only one you could consider a tank in BE and who works better as a wyvern lord than her canon promotion. Lysithea is the best mage in the game and Marianne outranks Dorothea too. My problem is less with the BE as characters because I do like most of them (Edelgard, Hubert, Petra, Dorothea, Ferdinand, and Caspar are all amazing to fine as characters) it's just that when compared to the other houses they're a little lackluster. So they could use a buff to their bases.

I'm... not sure I can agree with this. Personally, I found more of the Golden Deer lacking (I could get use out of Claude and the girls just fine, but Ignatz, Lorenz, and especially Raphael were much harder to get use out of, particularly the latter two).

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

That's a bullshit way to add ''challenge''. It's just luck.

Some FE have bullshit, with some more than others. We should strive towardz minizing bullshit and not maximizing it. 

And if your answer to everything is ''don't play'' then there's no use talking to you.

Who said Thracia is the only game with Flaws? I am only talking about Thracia right now because that's the on going topic. And a few pages ago i was talking about FE4. And while not in this Thread, whenever i talk about GBAFE it's pretty damn negative, especially FE6.

Fun Fact: Thracia is one of my favourite FEs (#4 after RD, CQ and PoR), doesn't mean i can't see alot of the bullshit it has that annoyed the shit out of me. It's just Thracia's positives super outweigh the negatives for me, but if T776 didn't have alot of the bullshit it has it could have been #1 or #2.

That's not bullshit, what's bullshit is maddening mode, lunatic+, etc, those are bullshit.

If you cant deal with the fact that they are fucking rigged games, then you are going to be complaining alot. Playing RD, I lost a unit to a 28% hit, 1% crit, I could complain bullshit, but I understand it's a part of the game and move on. It happened twice, actually.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

No offense, but that's an asshole remark to respond with, and I'm not inclined to take someone who would respond with this seriously.

No offence, but I guess you would know.

FE7: It's practically a perfect game already but I suppose there are a couple things that could be changed...

• Give Lyn more story presence/relevance after her story (the first ten chapters.)
  • Fix Rebecca's "death" so she actually just retreats like she's supposed to.
  • Make certain sub-chapters and story info, namely all the stuff with Nergal, a little easier and more obvious to unlock, it's crucial stuff and a lot if it is what makes him so good.
  • Let everyone have more than 5 supports, BUT keep it so everyone only gets a single A/S support.
  • Battle Before Dawn honestly isn't that great and could use some...fixing.

FE10: Honestly there's so much that needs to be fixed in this one, it's not the best as far as...well, as far as most things go. But some highlights are...

• ACTUAL SUPPORT CONVERSATIONS! Add them, for the love of cheese add them!
  • Fix everything about the Dawn Brigade. They are just way WAY too hard to actually use. Micaiah especially.
  • Honestly, reduce Ike's role, increase Elincia's.
  • Hey now hang on where's the paired endings for Mist/Rolf, or Ike/Elincia?
  • Just balance the game better in general. The non-royal laguz are such a pain to actually use, there are too many bullcrap levels, a ton of other characters like Tormod is basically unusable...
  • Let other units deal the final blow to Ashera. If you hadn't trained Ike or wanted to do some specific unit run of the game, you're 100% screwed.

I would like to see the opposite, making Greil's Mercenaries's chapters harder. They are way too easy thanks to Ike's authority stars

As for the Dawn Brigade Micaiah needs 1-2 authority stars to fix it (one at start and gaining one by every promotion). 

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That 1-99% hit rate makes it so you are never perfectly safe, and that adds so much to the oppressive tone and atmosphere of Lief's desperate struggle in Thracia 776.

Even if it is the intention of it, which would definitely make sense, it does not work. It is artifical difficulty and just makes the life for the player more annoying. With the fact that FE5 has only one RNG, seeing 99% misses and 1% hits happen more than it should (as in posted image). 

Other way around. 2RN was after 1RN, so it's more like 1% of GBA games and stuff is 33 times lower.

1% of 1RN system is more factually true than 1% of 2RN system. So 1RN isn't more than intended. It's what it should be.

Y'all gettin' so upset 'bout 1-99% in Thracia, something which affects one in fifty cases of uncommon scenarios.

If you were real Fire Emblem masters, you'd just reset until you land the 64% you gamble on anyway.

Just now, Zemuria said:

Because of the single RNG. 

You can't argue that single RNG is the "wrong" way to roll dice, though.

You might not like it, but it's not something happening more or less than it should. Double RNG is not inherently more right somehow than single RNG.

1 minute ago, Zemuria said:

Yeah, but with true hit, it would be 0,03%. Means the chance to get hit in FE5 by 1% is 33 times higher. This is a significant difference, if you ask me.  

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Other way around. 2RN was after 1RN, so it's more like 1% of GBA games and stuff is 33 times lower.

1% of 1RN system is more factually true than 1% of 2RN system. So 1RN isn't more than intended. It's what it should be.

They're different, but that has little to do with what should be.

Point: Unique mechanics aren't inherently good.
Point: Unique mechanics aren't inherently bad.

I'm firmly on the side of not making FE4 into a different game because you don't like FE4. It would be like someone who dislikes Sacred Stones walking up the forum and saying, "this game needs to be a lot more like Thracia, because Sacred Stones easy and boring and just so ugh, while Thracia is way more interesting and innovative and challenging. Firstly, I demand we add capture and 1-99% hit rates, pure black fog of war- heck, let's replace Eirika with Osian. He'll mess that Lyon up something good!"

It is built around stuff like not freely trading, and while that might seem unpleasant to some initially, it's an odd idea to look at something you don't enjoy, take away a part of it that the people who do enjoy it actually do like, and then call it an improvement, even though no one is actually satisfied with the final product.

12 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They'd have to change the magic growths by quite a lot for magic weapons to be worth it, and realistically, there's no way it that happen.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to change integers, though.

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Keep the NA localized script, and apply it worldwide. It's far better than the original script. 

Ey, this got me curious. What make the superior nation's script the superior version?

12 hours ago, Flere210 said:

The only bad thing about fatigue imo is that they dropped it.

This line is pretty bonkers good. I like it. You should write epigrams.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

6. Hybrid system of gambits and combat arts (gambit arts?). Like gambits, they would be attacks (or support techniques) that involve multiple units and sometimes have an area-of-effect. Like combat arts, they are linked to a certain weapon type, and cost durability.

I will defend the uncertainty of 1-99, but I do actually prefer combat skills to be more consistent, so I think this sounds interesting.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

FE4 is different, which makes it fun. Unlike the GBA era, where all 3 games are the exact same. I dont think there's anything wrong with it being unique.

hey FE6 is good.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe, but you know, I could see a lot of people getting these changes they want and ending up with something neutered. FE6 wouldn't be better if you got Percival right ought of the gate, though it would be easier.

If they remake FE9, uh...yo, give Volke more supports. Yeah. That'd be cool.

To be fair, Thracia was not designed to be an easy game in general.

Fire Emblem using a % based system for hits and dodges since Day 1 means you already have uncertainty. Added difficulty since you're not always guaranteed to hit or dodge. The 0's and 100's still give a sliver of deterministic outcomes, in this case, as a safety net to a full random system. Removing them makes the system fully uncertain. It's a step up in the "difficulty", to make the system fully at the whim of the RNG. That was Thracia's aim, I'd assume, with forgoing the 0 and 100 in the system. It's by design. It wasn't meant to be at the same level.

Whether it should stay or not is a different matter. One I take no sides. Like I said, having the option to choose between using the 1-99 and 0-100 systems is what I'd want.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

That's not bullshit, what's bullshit is maddening mode, lunatic+, etc, those are bullshit.

If you cant deal with the fact that they are fucking rigged games, then you are going to be complaining alot. Playing RD, I lost a unit to a 28% hit, 1% crit, I could complain bullshit, but I understand it's a part of the game and move on. It happened twice, actually.

Those are bullshit, too.

Also, there's a difference between 28% and a 1% that should've been a 0%

And calm down and don't be an ass when talking to people who disagree with you.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

More than it should? How is 1% happening 1% of the time more than it should...

because the 1% should've been a 0%

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm firmly on the side of not making FE4 into a different game because you don't like FE4.

I don't want a different game, either, but i don't just want the same game HD'fied. If i played the game before, pretty graphics won't make me play it again

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, Thracia was not designed to be an easy game in general.

Hot take: After Manster Arc Thracia is a pretty easy game. 

It's difficulty is mostly ''oh let's throw shit at the player he could never know about and give him 0 time to react''. It's especially bad in late game chapter/after Reinhardt map. Which made me just start warpskipping because it's bullshit.

Special mention: Ch23 and it's bullshit warp & act at same turn reinforcements, something the player can't see coming or react to at all, and ch24x with warp tiles.

I prefer real difficulty over Kaga surprise bs

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Point: Unique mechanics aren't inherently good.
Point: Unique mechanics aren't inherently bad.

I'm firmly on the side of not making FE4 into a different game because you don't like FE4. It would be like someone who dislikes Sacred Stones walking up the forum and saying, "this game needs to be a lot more like Thracia, because Sacred Stones easy and boring and just so ugh, while Thracia is way more interesting and innovative and challenging. Firstly, I demand we add capture and 1-99% hit rates, pure black fog of war- heck, let's replace Eirika with Osian. He'll mess that Lyon up something good!"

It is built around stuff like not freely trading, and while that might seem unpleasant to some initially, it's an odd idea to look at something you don't enjoy, take away a part of it that the people who do enjoy it actually do like, and then call it an improvement, even though no one is actually satisfied with the final product.

This is how I essentially feel about remake discussions in general.
I don't like FE7 or 8 because I find most of the maps bland and boring to play, but that's just me, even if I would prefer if it played like another game, that's not something I'd suggest for a remake, because that isn't how the game is, and it's part of it's identity via how the game is designed.

I'm fine with ironing out kinks and making certain systems work better, but especially in the case of FE4 I would prefer alterations and fixes to already existing systems than complete rehashes.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hot take: After Manster Arc Thracia is a pretty easy game. 

It's difficulty is mostly ''oh let's throw shit at the player he could never know about and give him 0 time to react''. It's especially bad in late game chapter/after Reinhardt map. Which made me just start warpskipping because it's bullshit.

Special mention: Ch23 and it's bullshit warp & act at same turn reinforcements, something the player can't see coming or react to at all, and ch24x with warp tiles.

I prefer real difficulty over Kaga surprise bs

This is essentially why I'm not especially fond of playing Thracia to begin with, most of the difficulty really does just come from things you don't expect to even happen in the first place and random surprises. Sure, you probably have the tools to deal with these surprises, but you aren't going to know until you get hit by them once and most likely need to reset, especially on your first playthrough. 
With that being essentially my biggest issue with the game, it's nothing to do with it mechanically, which makes it hard to find a "fix" for it.
I guess removing ambush spawns would be the closest to one, but that wouldn't even help for every map, so it's pretty tricky.

Most games do the same thing. They don't tell you when and where units may show up, enemy or otherwise. Does Thracia does it any more different to make it any less okay?

Besides... that's kinda the point. Having to take into account the possibility of more factors than those you see at first glance. This isn't chess, where every piece at start is all there is. You don't always go into battle with full intel of the situation.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

16 minutes ago, Caster said:

With that being essentially my biggest issue with the game, it's nothing to do with it mechanically, which makes it hard to find a "fix" for it.

Same tbh. Like if you asked me about some stuff people complain about here, like staves missing for example, i'd say i am fine with it because you get access to OPnerary that heals all hp.

Alot of the stuff the player gets alt methods to counter, but not bs surprises.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They don't tell you when and where units may show up, enemy or otherwise.

Most games after FE7 give you a turn to react/Enemy reinforcemants don't act at the same turn. The exceptions are FE12 higher difficulties (which is one of the reason i dropped the game, Awful ambush spawns), FE13 (lol) and FE16 Maddening (lol again)

One of the reasons i actually hate FE6 so much is because it's ambush spawns are super shitty.

FE5 thankfully hits you with shitty ambush spawns late game, still bs nonetheless.

FE4 and FE6 have the highest chances of being the next remake, so I'll comment on those.

FE4~

• An idea for this to appeal to fans is to have a "classic version" which will be a port from the SNES and the "new version", which will follow a more modern set up and pacing.
  • Support Conversations
  • 2nd Gen looks determined by parents.
  • Get rid of pawn shop to get a more more modern trading system.
  • Battalion shop instead (FE4 has a big army feel to it.) Battalions will need some kind system in place. Maybe class should determine what battalions they have access to? Similar to how classes affect their weapon ranks.
  • Unsure about a reclassing system, but I would like it if NG+ allowed you to change everyone's base classes manually in an editor mode. Plus give you the option of randomizing it.

FE6~

• I'm not saying rewrite the story, but the storytelling needs to change imo. So many scenes are Merlinus saying something not great, and then our boy Roy is like "no, we need to do this in order to win!" and then Gwen coming in the scene but ultimately not getting her point across because the battle is starting and she doesn't have enough time to explain herself. FE6 has plenty of characters with strong ties to the conflict at hand; let them lead more story dialogue. I know it was made the way it is because almost every character can die, but some characters deserve at least temporary plot immunity for their arc of the game. For example, Elphin, Echidna, and Larum can talk to Roy in the Western Isles arc of the game instead of Merlinus.
  • Revamp the support system.
  • Make Roy's promotion earlier? It's far too late and he can actually lose stats from it too, so it's not even worth getting him to level 20.
  • Add a reclassing system or a branching promotion system.
  • Make axes better.

I like sticking to the original source material for the most part, but sticking to archaic systems may not be for the best. I think if the classic version was released alongside to show how the game was originally designed and having a modern game be the remake, it could satisfy both types of fans.