Changes you wish to see in potential remakes

Thane

6 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Those are bullshit, too.

Also, there's a difference between 28% and a 1% that should've been a 0%

And calm down and don't be an ass when talking to people who disagree with you.

Those are far worse than a silly 1% difference, which is hardly noticeable.

you want 100%% hit rates, but things like Crit, Crit avoid, skill activation, come down to luck anyways, so in the end, your dealing with luck/bad luck eventually. And since it's an FE game, it's more than likely not going to favor you. I don't understand how a 1% hit rate can bother you when those things affect the game so much more. I'm pretty sure more people have dealt with random crits forcing a restart than a 1% hit. I understand that it, in theory, doesn't sound fair, but even the best fighter misses sometimes, I would think.

And even after all that, things like character balance, weapon balance, class balance, those things are much higher on the priority list, if you ask me. Not sure what others think, but only being able to use the same three broken characters gets pretty boring after a while. And this is an issue I think every single FE has, not just FE4.

Also, speaking of skills, that's something I think they should change. Wrath - Free critical on counter? Um, what? FE4's way is still broken, but much better than this! The sword skills are obviously too strong as well. Ambush being 100% is too reliable, and way too good. Prayer's activation rate is way too high, lower it, please.

6 hours ago, Caster said:

This is essentially why I'm not especially fond of playing Thracia to begin with, most of the difficulty really does just come from things you don't expect to even happen in the first place and random surprises. Sure, you probably have the tools to deal with these surprises, but you aren't going to know until you get hit by them once and most likely need to reset, especially on your first playthrough. 
With that being essentially my biggest issue with the game, it's nothing to do with it mechanically, which makes it hard to find a "fix" for it.
I guess removing ambush spawns would be the closest to one, but that wouldn't even help for every map, so it's pretty tricky.

Most FE games are like this, aren't they? The Black Knight spawning out of a house in PoR sure surprised me the first time.

Edited by lightcosmo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

And even after all that, things like character balance, weapon balance, class balance, those things are much higher on the priority list, if you ask me

look, dude, just because ''there are other problems'' doesn't mean we can talk about this one.

Most FE games are like this, aren't they?

Only those before FE7. Since FE7 Ambush spawns have become an exception rather than the rule, thankfully.

The Black Knight spawning out of a house in PoR sure surprised me the first time.

And that's the only instance in PoR where that happens, and honestly, by the time he appears you should be far far away from him

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Most games do the same thing. They don't tell you when and where units may show up, enemy or otherwise. Does Thracia does it any more different to make it any less okay?

Besides... that's kinda the point. Having to take into account the possibility of more factors than those you see at first glance. This isn't chess, where every piece at start is all there is. You don't always go into battle with full intel of the situation.

I'm not saying other games don't do it or that. In my personal opinion the extremity of it and how often it is in Thracia is annoying to me. I don't mind mid chapter surprises because usually hey are to prevent you from turtling, and as long as you're moving they shouldn't be overly punishing. However Thracia has at least a few incidences where it throws you surprises right in your face, not even a bit far back, and that's incredibly hard to deal with.

I'm not even really saying I'm right, it's just that it does take enjoyment away from the game for me, whether it's fair to the game or not. I put fix in quotations in my post because at the end of the day I don't think I'm especially fit to offer fixes for a game I don't really like that much to begin with.

48 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

look, dude, just because ''there are other problems'' doesn't mean we can talk about this one.

Only those before FE7. Since FE7 Ambush spawns have become an exception rather than the rule, thankfully.

And that's the only instance in PoR where that happens, and honestly, by the time he appears you should be far far away from him

Not saying that you can't, but making it out like it's the worst thing in the game is a little extreme, I think. Shouldn't you prepare for misses in FE games generally? I guess what I mean is if they let a simple 1% stop them from enjoying Thracia, I think they are missing out on a great game over something so small, which is too bad.

I don't agree with this, since Awakening has ambush spawns on enemy turns, it's not any different. And those are much more brutal than the ones in Thracia.

This depends on what kind of player you are, really. Even if you should be, I wouldn't say it's exactly "fair". I'll be honest, i'm a very "turtle" based FE player, so I was around there when I first played, since I had no idea when units would spawn, what events would play out, etc. It can happen, and I can say that since I was one of those that was forced to restart because of it.

Edited by lightcosmo

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Not saying that you can't, but making it out like it's the worst thing in the game is a little extreme, I think. Shouldn't you prepare for misses in FE games generally? I guess what I mean is if they let a simple 1% stop them from enjoying Thracia, I think they are missing out on a great game over something so small, which is too bad.

That's hardly the only problem Thracia has - I consider the fact that healing staves can miss to be a hell of a lot more egregious to the point it's an automatic deal breaker.

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I guess what I mean is if they let a simple 1% stop them from enjoying Thracia, I think they are missing out on a great game over something so small, which is too bad.

Here i agree with you. T776 is a super enjoyable game, but at the same time so frustrating sometimes. 
I wish the whole game was like the Manster arc tbh. Chapter 5 is one of my favourite, if not the favourite Map in the series for me.

I love T776, that's why i want the remake to be even better.

I don't agree with this, since Awakening has ambush spawns on enemy turns, it's not any different. And those are much more brutal than the ones in Thracia.

I didn't say they never appeared again, they did, but it was the exception. They appear in FE12 higher difficulties (and the main reason i dropped the game, the ambush spawns there are downright awful bullshit design), FE13 and FE16 maddening.

This depends on what kind of player you are, really. Even if you should be, I wouldn't say it's exactly "fair

I agree, yup, it isn't exactly fair, but at the same time it's an anti turtle mechanic. Would prefer if he worked like normal reinforcements though. 

21 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That's hardly the only problem Thracia has - I consider the fact that healing staves can miss to be a hell of a lot more egregious to the point it's an automatic deal breaker.

tbf though, unlike alot of the stuff T776 has, including the 1-99 thing, T776 gives Vulneraries that heal all HP. Those can be used in case staves miss. Also, once your staff users get 10SKL that point is moot anyway

Edited by Shrimperor

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ey, this got me curious. What make the superior nation's script the superior version?

"Superior nation"? The NA localization of the script applies to a whole continent; it's right there: North America. 

Anyway, as for why the NA localization of Path of Radiance's script is the best version, there are lots of reasons, but perhaps the biggest one is that Ike and Elincia's interactions in the NA localization are extremely well-written and give the two characters a lot of chemistry (romantic or otherwise), whereas, in the original script, their on-screen chemistry can best be described as, "Two planks of wood". 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

"Superior nation"? The NA localization of the script applies to a whole continent; it's right there: North America. 

Anyway, as for why the NA localization of Path of Radiance's script is the best version, there are lots of reasons, but perhaps the biggest one is that Ike and Elincia's interactions in the NA localization are extremely well-written and give the two characters a lot of chemistry (romantic or otherwise), whereas, in the original script, their on-screen chemistry can best be described as, "Two planks of wood". 

Also, let's not forget the whole jp Blacknight ''powder malfunctioned'' thing

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

I didn't say they never appeared again, they did, but it was the exception. They appear in FE12 higher difficulties (and the main reason i dropped the game, the ambush spawns there are downright awful bullshit design), FE13 and FE16 maddening.

If they only appear in the higher difficulties, why drop the game instead of, you know, playing in a lower difficulty?

As an aside, I find that implementation quite well done of New Mystery. It's a step up in difficulty, so of course it will be present in the higher difficulty settings.

---

Anyway, I've rethought it a little my desire of a Classic/Casual differentiation for game structure... and I think there might be something better I'd want to see in remakes:

Game Rules

Do it like how a game like Crusader Kings 2 manages the way the game will operate. Before starting the game, you then get a list where you can toggle how you want things to go. So, something like this.  Though the things to choose about will be FE related, of course. Same-turn or not reinforcements? What RNG range? 1RN or 2RN? Choose! Mix and match! Whatever suits your fancy.

Like CK2, they wouldn't be changeable after game start.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If they only appear in the higher difficulties, why drop the game instead of, you know, playing in a lower difficulty?

too easy. Is it hard to ask for a challenge without bs surprises? It's not like l went lunatic or something, but normal hard has bs spawns, and they spawn right in the middle of the map.
Not to mention like GBA titles i find the 2 DS titles too lacking. Remakes or not, you shouldn't remove so many features.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Here i agree with you. T776 is a super enjoyable game, but at the same time so frustrating sometimes. 
I wish the whole game was like the Manster arc tbh. Chapter 5 is one of my favourite, if not the favourite Map in the series for me.

I agree, yup, it isn't exactly fair, but at the same time it's an anti turtle mechanic. Would prefer if he worked like normal reinforcements though. 

tbf though, unlike alot of the stuff T776 has, including the 1-99 thing, T776 gives Vulneraries that heal all HP. Those can be used in case staves miss. Also, once your staff users get 10SKL that point is moot anyway

Yeah, your right there, I apologize for getting a bit upset over this. 

I could agree with changing to the average fe, just sad to see people dismiss the game over small mechanics.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I suppose this is fair, it personally doesnt bother me.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

A unified North American nation would be more glorious in power than its individual components.

9 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't want a different game, either, but i don't just want the same game HD'fied. If i played the game before, pretty graphics won't make me play it again

I kind of agree.

For FE4, there's a difference in that you need to emulate it if you want to play it outside Japan. An official remake would probably be the first exposure to it for a lot of international players, and so I think there's something of an obligation to stay close to the original. Of course, cleaning it up and adding quality of life improvements is also really important, because the main goal of remakes is to release the good game inside a rough package.

That said, overhauling the trading system would be a pretty big change to the contents of that package. It would require reworking the gold system and the inheritance mechanics and the character/weapon balance and the arena and character conversations- the changes would be sufficiently great that you might as well make a new Fire Emblem game at that point. I'd be all for that. It would be interesting to see how trading mechanics could be made to work with a system of inheriting weapons. It just wouldn't be much like FE4.

9 hours ago, Caster said:

This is how I essentially feel about remake discussions in general.
I don't like FE7 or 8 because I find most of the maps bland and boring to play, but that's just me, even if I would prefer if it played like another game, that's not something I'd suggest for a remake, because that isn't how the game is, and it's part of it's identity via how the game is designed.

I wouldn't even say to keep trading because the pawn shop is a part of the games identity, just because it's build around it. The whole can't stand if you remove a big chunk of the foundation. Identity is a little too abstract.

So, speaking of FE4. I don't think anyone would be upset with a support conversations or the like.

While it wouldn't immediately break the game like free trade would, I will say that I don't support removing the pursuit skill. I think that would end up being a disaster in practice.

32 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

just sad to see people dismiss the game over small mechanics

I agree. And despite me complaining in this thread (well, it is a complain thread after all), FE4 and FE5 (and FE9/10... The Jugdral/Tellius bias is big with me xD) are games every FE fan should play tbh. And if you think i am being to negative over here i was gushing about FE5 and some of it mechanics yersterday in another Thread. It all depends on topic xD

30 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

That said, overhauling the trading system would be a pretty big change to the contents of that package. It would require reworking the gold system and the inheritance mechanics and the character/weapon balance and the arena and character conversations- the changes would be sufficiently great that you might as well make a new Fire Emblem game at that point. I'd be all for that. It would be interesting to see how trading mechanics could be made to work with a system of inheriting weapons. It just wouldn't be much like FE4.

They could just use modern FE inheritance tbh.

Or if we want to keep the pawn shop and old system without it being a total pain in the ass, make it so units are able to trade weapons they can't use for stuff they can use with another player without costing money. Ie Sigurd found a Staff and Ethlyn found a Lance, they can trade it without going through the pawn shop. Also, close allies, lovers and Thief should be able to trade normally.

Like for example, if FE4Remake gets a supprt system:
C - Support: Allow trading of unusable weapons

B - Support: Allow giving money

A - Support: Allow free trading

or something along these line.

30 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I will say that I don't support removing the pursuit skill

Change it so those with Pursuit have a lower AS treshhold to double. 

Another thing i want from a FE4 remake is for it to use the big maps fully. The only chapters that truely used them were Ch2 and 3 iirc. Otherwise it's just small chapters tacked together with Parts being inaccessible for some reason or the other. I was super annoyed for example where i found out i couldn't send some of my units to help Silessia in Ch4 and so they were stuck at base while others moved up north.

Make Big maps truely feel like big maps and not small maps tacked together.

Edited by Shrimperor

52 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Change it so those with Pursuit have a lower AS treshhold to double. 

What would you suggest? Since the threshold for doubling in FE4 is just 1, so.
Would you make it the standard 4 or 5 and make pursuit half of that?

Just now, Caster said:

What would you suggest? Since the threshold for doubling in FE4 is just 1, so.
Would you make it the standard 4 or 5 and make pursuit half of that?

yeah, Without Pursuit you need 4+ AS

with Pursuit 1 or 2 AS to double.

Will of course need fine tuning and balancing, but anything is better than half the units being stuck at base for not having a horse or pursuit, or worse, not having any of these.

For literally any game:

That they add an option to play the game in it's original experience but with improved graphics and a faster pace of game, that's it. So for example in FE6 Echoes we get an option to have that bug that makes the first 5 chapters super hard and all the enemies have the same insane stats and all the things like in FE6 GBA. There is another option for improved gameplay, modified stats, and other things.

46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah, Without Pursuit you need 4+ AS

with Pursuit 1 or 2 AS to double.

Will of course need fine tuning and balancing, but anything is better than half the units being stuck at base for not having a horse or pursuit, or worse, not having any of these.

Instead of revolving doubling around pursuit, maybe have it give a bonus to crit or something if you can double with it. So that way it's useful, but not completely neccessary.

There are very few units that are going to be broken whit pursuit, and depending on pairings usually it's just one so they get the ring anyway. It's mostly trash characters that become average to good whit pursuit.

Quan is literally the only unit that may become broken, but even then, he would enjoy the ring for just one chapter. Lex has the brave axe and everyone else is either on foot or has mhe stats.

For remakes: 

I really want to see a remake of Awakening. Maybe not in the near future, but defenitely in the future. There is just so much plot that can be fleshed out of the Awakening world that I think it qualifies it for a remake. 

Fe5: This would be my top choice for a FE remake at this point. Personally, I didn't like Fe4 that much, but if the remakes maintain continuity, Fe4 will come first. 

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Like for example, if FE4Remake gets a supprt system:
C - Support: Allow trading of unusable weapons

B - Support: Allow giving money

A - Support: Allow free trading

or something along these line.

That actually seems like a fairly reasonable compromise, though maybe don't give a special feature to every support level unless they're hard to come by or something.

Another possible "patch" that wouldn't totally break the system might be to give thieves better control of their money. When you choose to give gold to someone, you give them a specific amount rather than all of it.

13 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Could be the words out of my worth. 

I love already the attempt to add all these (unique) mechanics to FE5, even if not all of them do work or need improvement at least. 

Still the modern FE games are based on FE5. 

Infinite trading in Three Houses is a throwback to FE5. 

I got a few things to say about the Potential Remakes for the past Fire Emblem games that need some to be fixed:

Genealogy of the Holy War:

1. Maybe have explained where the Substitute Children weren't joined in Seliph's Army when the counterpart said exists.
  2. Maybe give Sigurd a Jagen unit in his side (maybe not have him/she as a father/mother similar to like how Gunter from Fates can't have a child), add Female Knight member in Sigurd's Holy Knights (maybe have her children be an Armored Unit and maybe a Cavalier since Seliph really lacks an Armored Unit before Hannibal joins in as a Promoted General, and have a recruitable Fighter/Warrior unit join in Gen 1.
  3. Add Paralogues that might help bring a lot of Thracia 776 characters join Seliph's Army sometime after Chapter 7.
  4. Expand the castle to add more units in.
  5. Expand the story that were mentioned from the events from Thracia 776.

Thracia 776:

1. Maybe have one of the Substitute Children appear in Thracia 776 when the mother died in Gen 1 of the FE4 Remake and/or make a cameo appearance.
  2. Maybe add one more member in the Fiana Freeblades.
  3. Add classes from Genealogy of the Holy War to return in Thracia 776 remake.

The Binding Blade:

1. Add a Female Cavalier
  2. Add Combat Arts Skills from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and Three Houses
  3. Add one more member in Roy's gang
  4. Add some alive The Blazing Blade characters that survived the events and have them appear as playable, npcs, etc. like Nils, Pent, Louise, Matthew, Serra, Nino, Jaffar, etc.

Path of Radiance would probably be the easiest remake because it's the most functional of the pre-Awakening games:

Improved visuals

New voice acting

Modern QoL features (enemy range highlights, enemy behavior prediction, etc.)

Combat arts

Battalions and gambits

Addition of Maniac mode from the JP version. One additional mode beyond that, where foes gain access to Battalions and Gambits.

Adjuctant system like that of 3-Houses. With a twist. Adjutants are deployed to your entire party, not specific units, and you can have one Offense, one Defense, and one Support adjuctant. Adjutants are no longer passive procs, but rather give you a one time activation skill per mission. Each character has their own set of adjuctant skills, but they are a collection of generic skills. For example, Rhys might have Purge, Fortify, and Warp, while Mist might have Purge, Ward All, and Rescue.

Base camp - explore the Mercenaries camp as Ike. Much akin to the Monastery but MUCH smaller and more usable.

Mercenary missions - send units out on mercenary jobs to gain passive rewards (including xp, gold, support points, forging materials, food, etc.) after the completion of your next mission. These units will not be available on your next mission (and thus required units can't be sent on mercenary jobs), but this is a great way to level unused units.

Edited by Etheus