Changes you wish to see in potential remakes

Thane

For FE10 I would like an option to side with Micaiah rather than Ike in part 3. Also some minor changes, like taking away the 10 Skill point cost for Canto, this doesn't make sense, it costs skill points for a horse to... move?

Fix Swordmaster males ability to SS swords, since it's clearly a mistake and meant to be set on the enemy Swordmasters during part 4, whom can only S rank swords, the developers clearly got those two mixed up.

Maybe an option to unequip mastery skills. I know that not everyone likes to crush the opposition with insane mastery skills, so I could see this being a thing.

Maybe put some dark mages in part 1 so Micaiah isn't always losing on the triangle due to no dark mages, why is she a light mage when she's always on the losing side? It doesn't make her useful at fighting mages, which she's supposed to be good at?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Maybe have one of the Substitute Children appear in Thracia 776 when the mother died in Gen 1 of the FE4 Remake and/or make a cameo appearance.

Problem is, as I see it, Thracia and Genealogy are radically different games that this likely won't happen (that's also why I think making them together is a terrible idea, but that's neither here nor there).

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Maybe put some dark mages in part 1 so Micaiah isn't always losing on the triangle due to no dark mages, why is she a light mage when she's always on the losing side? It doesn't make her useful at fighting mages, which she's supposed to be good at?

I'd say her case is one of Scissors Cuts Rock; ergo, despite being disadvantaged, she ends up winning anyway (what are enemy mages going to be doing to her?). Which is why I think the magic triangle is absurd, incidentally.

52 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

In general mages are the worst counter to other mages because their best feature is hitting res and mages have better res than def.  The only mages good at fighting mages are things like war priests that have high res and phisical weapons 

Well, that depends on the situation. If you're looking to kill the target, mages aren't a great counter to mages. If you're looking to bait and tank mages, a mage is your best bet. 

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd say her case is one of Scissors Cuts Rock; ergo, despite being disadvantaged, she ends up winning anyway (what are enemy mages going to be doing to her?). Which is why I think the magic triangle is absurd, incidentally.

Even so, it would still be nice to give Micaiah at least the usefulness of wrecking mages.

I don't really think micaiah is useless. Thani pretty much allow her to oneshot any armor and cavalier in the game, has limited healing early and after promotion is an ok staffbot. She just need a chance to level properly and maybe a litle of bulk because is disheartening how easily she is oneshot.

As someone who loves RD...

On 12/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, lightcosmo said:

For FE10 I would like an option to side with Micaiah rather than Ike in part 3. Also some minor changes, like taking away the 10 Skill point cost for Canto, this doesn't make sense, it costs skill points for a horse to... move?

Side with her... how? You don't control an avatar, a big part of the game is playing from different perspectives, which IMO should be preserved. As for Canto, keep in mind that Shove on Infantry (and Birds) costs 5 capacity as well. Canto costing more is, theoretically, a way to nerf mounts by limiting how many skills they can equip. I think RD balances mounts well, except that Wyverns should be weak to bows.

Fix Swordmaster males ability to SS swords, since it's clearly a mistake and meant to be set on the enemy Swordmasters during part 4, whom can only S rank swords, the developers clearly got those two mixed up.

My headcanon is, Stefan was originally planned to join as a Swordmaster, and they wanted to be sure he could wield the Vague Katti. But yeah, this should definitely be changed.

Maybe an option to unequip mastery skills. I know that not everyone likes to crush the opposition with insane mastery skills, so I could see this being a thing.

That would be fine. Personally, I would change the Mastery Skills from skill-based activation to a Combat Art system (ex. 5 bow uses to activate Deadeye). Which I'd also love to see integrated into the laguz system (spend extra gauge to use stronger attacks, more become accessible with strike rank).

Dark mages in Tellius are... weird. They only exist in RD, it's not clear if they have any religious or ethnic affiliation, and the only really noteworthy ones are Pelleas and Izuka. I wouldn't be opposed to such an inclusion, but Micaiah's real offensive strength seems to be in Thani-bombing enemy cavalry and armors. 

On 12/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, lightcosmo said:

Even so, it would still be nice to give Micaiah at least the usefulness of wrecking mages.

Tbf, I think she's already good at that. What I'm more concerned about is the fact that mages tend to be as slow as armored units (Lehran aside, Micaiah has the highest speed cap among mages... and it's among the lower end of speed caps) and their weapons are weak.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 12/9/2019 at 6:49 PM, lightcosmo said:

You'd do more by increasing her base stats and the power of her tomes. She starts with 7 Mag/4 Res; that's the same Res as Leonardo! Plus her best weapon for awhile is 8 Mt Thani, while Light and Ellight sit at 3 and 5 Mt respectively. Double her base Res and give her a Mage-effective tome if you want her to counter mages.

Also the weapon triangle doesn't exist on Hard so never having magic advantage isn't too big a deal.

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Tbf, I think she's already good at that. What I'm more concerned about is the fact that mages tend to be as slow as armored units (Lehran aside, Micaiah has the highest speed cap among mages... and it's among the lower end of speed caps) and their weapons are weak.

Yeah, mages were nerfed hard come Radiant Dawn, owing to a combination of low speed stats, low tome mights, and unusually high enemy resistance. Having lower movement than physical infantry, and not getting staves until tier 3 (save for Micaiah), certainly didn't help. Fixing any of these could make them a bit better, as could additional special effects (1-3 range Thunder magic, Light tomes granting +20 Avoid, etc.).

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I suppose that's a good point,

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

You'd do more by increasing her base stats and the power of her tomes. She starts with 7 Mag/4 Res; that's the same Res as Leonardo! Plus her best weapon for awhile is 8 Mt Thani, while Light and Ellight sit at 3 and 5 Mt respectively. Double her base Res and give her a Mage-effective tome if you want her to counter mages.

Also the weapon triangle doesn't exist on Hard so never having magic advantage isn't too big a deal.

Well, aren't Light Magics supposed to be weak but accurate? RD for sure has some wonky unit balance, and while it would be nice to reinforce her strong points, how do you do that without making Leonardo useless?

Also, I was considering Normal Mode, since most people start on it and most detest hard either way.

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As someone who loves RD...

Side with her... how? You don't control an avatar, a big part of the game is playing from different perspectives, which IMO should be preserved. As for Canto, keep in mind that Shove on Infantry (and Birds) costs 5 capacity as well. Canto costing more is, theoretically, a way to nerf mounts by limiting how many skills they can equip. I think RD balances mounts well, except that Wyverns should be weak to bows.

My headcanon is, Stefan was originally planned to join as a Swordmaster, and they wanted to be sure he could wield the Vague Katti. But yeah, this should definitely be changed.

That would be fine. Personally, I would change the Mastery Skills from skill-based activation to a Combat Art system (ex. 5 bow uses to activate Deadeye). Which I'd also love to see integrated into the laguz system (spend extra gauge to use stronger attacks, more become accessible with strike rank).

Dark mages in Tellius are... weird. They only exist in RD, it's not clear if they have any religious or ethnic affiliation, and the only really noteworthy ones are Pelleas and Izuka. I wouldn't be opposed to such an inclusion, but Micaiah's real offensive strength seems to be in Thani-bombing enemy cavalry and armors. 

Just an option to fight more battles as her team would be fine enough. I don't mind if mounts are stronger, I just want to get the DB higher than level 9 at part 3.

It just doesn't look.. I dunno, right the way it is.

I don't mind how it's done either, I just know that people don't like the way they were handled, and i'm okay with them being taken off.

This doesn't matter to me as much, mostly just a minor nitpick, really. Since they have high MAG base/growth, it would make her high RES stand out, I think.

Edited by lightcosmo

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Just an option to fight more battles as her team would be fine enough. I don't mind if mounts are stronger, I just want to get the DB higher than level 9 at part 3.

I can agree with this much, the Dawn Brigade needs more experience. The question, of course, is how it might be delivered. Perhaps they could add an extra "Dawn Brigade founding" chapter, sst before 1-P with just the five initial members. Also, part 2 could have a "side chapter" where you shift back to Daein, as Micaiah goes after remnant Begnion soldiers who holed up in that one church from Path of Radiance. Would also love to see Tormod's troupe get a few gaiden chapters.

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The last thing Radiant Dawn need is even more chapters imo.

This is... a fair point, actually. It's already one of the longest titles in the series. Maybe these new chapters, then, could come as gaiden chapters - you have to meet certain criteria to get them, and you have the option to turn them down. If you turn them down, you get compensated with a bunch of bonus exp, so you're units don't fall behind (of course, you miss out on any items that may be exclusive to such chapters). They could even be held back as a "New Game +" feature, providing an extra reason to replay and ensuring that new players don't get overwhelmed by the length.

Maybe if Part 3 had a branching storyline. It's not like a lot of the things from canon!Part3 need to reach the endgame. So make the tweaks so you can stick with the DB fully for Part 3. It's too late to change the actual story that's there... but if it were to branch off...

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe if Part 3 had a branching storyline. It's not like a lot of the things from canon!Part3 need to reach the endgame. So make the tweaks so you can stick with the DB fully for Part 3. It's too late to change the actual story that's there... but if it were to branch off...

This is what I was saying earlier! And isn't more content in a game a good thing?

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

I don't think you need to branch off. Just add some more chapters to Act 1 of the Dawn Brigade. That is where they need the xp most, and their entire rebellion is over quite quickly, tbh. A few more battles would be welcome.

the jarod penultimate chapter could easily be expanded on to give a larger battle with more exp opportunities for units outside of michaiah (who honestly struggles to reach level20 before her forced promotion without special attention from what i remember), you could probably merge cannon prologue and chapter 1 into either one chapter or a two parter like ch6 and replace cannon chapter 1 with a new chapter. other then that maybe making the swamp chapter a bigger affair could help give part 1 the extra bulk it needed?

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Thracia: remove PCC, please. Also, separate magic/res. 

Change prayers activation rate, it's way too high. The game is way too bland after a certain point because of things like PCC.

Personally, i think PCC would be an ideal class skill for swordmasters. 

37 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Personally, i think PCC would be an ideal class skill for swordmasters. 

Critical ×2 is the highest I would say they should go, any higher and it's just broken. ×5 is completely bonkers.

On 12/11/2019 at 6:26 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

I have to disagree. One of the strongest aspects of Radiant Dawn's storytelling is that you jump between the perspectives of multiple armies. It effectively sells the feeling of a grand, continent-spanning war, in which multiple parties have their own valid reasons for fighting. Rather than siding with any one faction, you, the player, are forced to take a detached "guiding" role. A playthrough of RD where you don't spend time controlling the Greil Mercenaries as an independent force would, I think, provide an incomplete and inadequate experience.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I have to disagree. One of the strongest aspects of Radiant Dawn's storytelling is that you jump between the perspectives of multiple armies. It effectively sells the feeling of a grand, continent-spanning war, in which multiple parties have their own valid reasons for fighting. Rather than siding with any one faction, you, the player, are forced to take a detached "guiding" role. A playthrough of RD where you don't spend time controlling the Greil Mercenaries as an independent force would, I think, provide an incomplete and inadequate experience.

It does a poor job, personally, considering that of the fourteen chapters of Part 3, only four are dedicated to non-GM perspectives; and the Crimea one merges with them anyway after only a single chapter dedicated to them as the playable party, leaving only the Daein perspective as other than the GM one. When they were separate, we had no Laguz-only perspective either; and the Ravens go AWOL and we hear absolutely nothing of them after their betrayal. Begnion's perspective drops out after 3-10 too, though they were not a PC faction to begin with.

The jumping perspective also hurt most of the newcomer units, since the majority already are a tier lower than the veterans, they have less chances to catch up since at most their allotted time is to barely come close to the veterans, before they widen the gap further when it's their turn.

A branching storyline can be mostly beneficial. Those wanting the veterans back can chose the GM's. Those who want to stick with the mostly bunch of newcomers, stick with DB.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It does a poor job, personally, considering that of the fourteen chapters of Part 3, only four are dedicated to non-GM perspectives; and the Crimea one merges with them anyway after only a single chapter dedicated to them as the playable party, leaving only the Daein perspective as other than the GM one. When they were separate, we had no Laguz-only perspective either; and the Ravens go AWOL and we hear absolutely nothing of them after their betrayal. Begnion's perspective drops out after 3-10 too, though they were not a PC faction to begin with.

...I mean, of course Part III is mostly the Greil Mercenaries (and friends). Part I gives you 11 Dawn Brigade chapters, while Part II gives 5 Crimean chapters. By the end of part III, you've gotten 14 DB chapters, 6 Crimean chapters, and 11 Greil Mercenary chapters (the last 2 of which see most of the Crimeans on your side). Also, I never said you got to control everyone - the fact that there are factions you never get to control is not an argument against the model of shifting between multiple factions. For the record, though, I agree that it would have been cool to get some laguz-centric, or laguz-led chapters.

The jumping perspective also hurt most of the newcomer units, since the majority already are a tier lower than the veterans, they have less chances to catch up since at most their allotted time is to barely come close to the veterans, before they widen the gap further when it's their turn.

I agree with this, it's a problem with RD's gameplay. Perhaps this could be addressed by making the experience curve more generous for Tier 1 units, so you can get most of the Dawn Brigade promoted by the end of Part I. Or by granting that faction extra bonus EXP, or -as has been discussed - extra chapters, possibly gaidens.

A branching storyline can be mostly beneficial. Those wanting the veterans back can chose the GM's. Those who want to stick with the mostly bunch of newcomers, stick with DB.

And the people who want to get both perspectives in a single playthrough, as the game was originally designed, can do... what, exactly?