The Game Awards 2019 Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

Hey hi you all know about the Game Awards by now. Keighley's baby is back. It will begin at 5:30 PM PST on Dec. 12th. Here are the nominees. Don't look too hard because you'll start asking frustrating questions about why this or that game qualifies for each genre/category. That's not really why we're here though. Awards can be fun, but the real joy of this show are the game reveals. Keighley has promised "around 10 new game announcements". And that shouldn't include some tasty trailers for games we already know are on the way. 

Now everybody look away while I make some Ill-advised bets

• Spoiler

• New Crash Bandicoot. The Crash Team Racing remake was announced at last year's show, and Activision has been teasing the possibility of a whole new game since before even that.
    • Resident Evil 3 remake trailer. I made this prediction weeks ago when it we got official confirmation this project was real, and recent leaks are pointing to a reveal this month.
    • Death Stranding Accolades trailer
    • Death Stranding takes home no fewer than 3 awards, but none are Game of the Year
    • Something Cyberpunk related
    • An excellent performance of "Devil Trigger" to make up for the botched performance of last year. 
    • Elden Ring trailer. Because Sekiro got its first teaser at the 2017 event, and this next game is multiplatform
    • The Fresh Indie Game Presented by Subway award is going to ham it up with non-subtle jokes about sponsorships
    • The fifth Smash DLC character is freakin' Kratos, and it's presented by Sakurai and Corey Barlog in the flesh
    • BREATH OF THE WILD 2 TRAILER OR RIOT

What are you guys hoping gets revealed at the Game Awards? Last year's thread has a list of game announcements to give you an idea of what we may see.

Update: Here are this year's game reveals

And here's the extended version of that weird trailer that is actually somehow No More Heroes 3. "2020 release? Heh, good luck!"

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ill-advised predictions:

Spoiler

Smash Character 5 is 2B - for all the good little girls and boys of Smash.

Square's Avengers has a gameplay reveal for a new character - Wolverine. And then they say something to the effect of "but you can get your xmen fill in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 right now" as they reveal the Xmen dlc characters aa Jean Grey, Gambit, Iceman, and Beast, and then shadow drop them that day.

Fire Emblem Warriors 2, showcased with the Three Houses quartet, and ending with Ike and Roy (a man can hope).

Dante is revealed as the first dlc fighter pass 2 character for Smash.

Edited by Etheus

20 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

BotW Sequel Trailer or RIOT!

But no really, can I please get the BotW sequel trailer? Please Nintendo? Please? I promise it's one of the only games I'm actually looking forward to in the future.

Same 

Also A FEW2

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

2B is even more lewdly designed than Mai Shiranui is, so there's no way she's getting into Smash, unless they redesign her outfit to appease CERO.

Anyway, this is going to be the night when Geoff finally proposes to Kojima.

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

2B is even more lewdly designed than Mai Shiranui is, so there's no way she's getting into Smash, unless they redesign her outfit to appease CERO.

Anyway, this is going to be the night when Geoff finally proposes to Kojima.

You have to actively try to make 2B "more lewdly designed than Mai". You have to actually make a point of looking up her skirt. She certainly doesn't show Mai's level of mass cleavage. Some very minor alterations (like skirt length) might be necessary, but it is nowhere near as bad as people like to pretend.

One could argue that Bayonetta is a worse offender, because she is.

1 hour ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

Same 

Also A FEW2

YES, PLEASE. I'm dying for Ike to be in an FE Warriors game! I think he should be the initial reveal too a la Chrom in the first game due to his popularity and how many people were upset that he wasn't included the first time around. Would definitely be the best way to get insta hype.

Also, since characters are pretty much never cut from Warriors games, the previous game's characters ought to return too, and being able to play as both Ike and Frederick in an FEW2 would be the most amazing thing ever to me. 😄 ❤️

Edited by Anacybele

I would also be into an FEW2, if they change some of the clones movesets, that is. HW didn't have this, so why does FEW?

31 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm for sure betting that a new Crash Bandicoot game is being revealed (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE)

Someone has good taste. I would be pretty interested in this as well, although not quite this enthusiastic, but Crash is still a loveable character, so I would like this for sure.

I also want to see Breath of the Wild 2, that was such an amazing game!

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I would also be into an FEW2, if they change some of the clones movesets, that is. HW didn't have this, so why does FEW?

Someone has good taste. I would be pretty interested in this as well, although not quite this enthusiastic, but Crash is still a loveable character, so I would like this for sure.

I also want to see Breath of the Wild 2, that was such an amazing game!

My approach to FEW2 would be the literal opposite. Double down on the clones to add in as many characters as possible. But while they're at it, condense all those clones into one deployable unit, so you don't have to individually train a bunch of identical characters.

Sure, you lose unique stats that way, but that was frankly a bad idea to begin with. Why should I be objectively punished in every way that matters for preferring Leo over Elise or Hinoka over Caeda?

And yes, you'd also run into the issue of how unique weapons would function. But my mindset is, why not allow everyone to wield everyone else's unique weapons? You could put different skills on each weapon to adapt to different modes and enemy compositions. You could even give each and every weapon a unique skill as with Heroes. And at the end of the day, I doubt anyone would be particularly offended by that little immersion breaker in a goofy spinoff.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

My approach to FEW2 would be the literal opposite. Double down on the clones to add in as many characters as possible. But while they're at it, condense all those clones into one deployable unit, so you don't have to individually train a bunch of identical characters.

Sure, you lose unique stats that way, but that was frankly a bad idea to begin with; why should I be objectively punished in every substantial way for preferring Leo to Elise.

And yes, you'd also run into the issue of how unique weapons would function. But my mindset is, why not allow everyone to wield everyone else's unique weapons? You could put different skills on each weapon to adapt to different modes and enemy compositions. And at the end of the day, I doubt anyone would be particularly offended by that little immersion breaker in a goofy spinoff.

HW also has characters with multiple weapons and aren't cloned, so i'm not sure why it's like this. I enjoy leveling up the characters, so I don't mind it.

I just think that, in a game that has a lot of potential to be so different and enjoyable with a big cast, is a bit of wasted potential. Not that it isn't still very enjoyable the way it is.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

HW also has characters with multiple weapons and aren't cloned, so i'm not sure why it's like this. I enjoy leveling up the characters, so I don't mind it.

I just think that, in a game that has a lot of potential to be so different and enjoyable with a big cast, is a bit of wasted potential. Not that it isn't still very enjoyable the way it is.

Well, I think a quantity over quality model may be appropriate for Fire Emblem Warriors because it has almost 600 characters as opposed to Zelda's dozens. The multiple movesets per character of Zelda also comes down to having so few characters to pull from. Problem is, they gave us neither quantity, nor quality, and the weapon diversification was absurd - giving us a bunch of sword movesets to only 1 bow moveset, 3 lance movesets, 1 stone moveset, 3 tome movesets, and 3 axe movesets.

I don't mean to say that a Warriors 2 wouldn't have new movesets. Any new movesets would greatly alleviate the clone problem, and I think that a few more for diversification would be immensely appreciated:

Spear Lord

Warrior Axe

Cavalry Lance

Cavalry Bow

Flying Bow (Claude)

Flying Sword

Wyvern Lance

Armored Sword

Armored Axe

Armored Lance

Gauntlet (perhaps this could be Byleth's moveset, with TSotC as his Warrior attack/Awakening)

Beast Stone

Bird Stone

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, I think a quantity over quality model may be appropriate for Fire Emblem Warriors because it has almost 600 characters as opposed to Zelda's dozens. The multiple movesets per character of Zelda also comes down to having so few characters to pull from. Problem is, they gave us neither quantity, nor quality, and the weapon diversification was absurd - giving us a bunch of sword movesets to only 1 bow moveset, 3 lance movesets, 1 stone moveset, 3 tome movesets, and 3 axe movesets.

I don't mean to say that a Warriors 2 wouldn't have new movesets. Any new movesets would greatly alleviate the clone problem, and I think that a few more for diversification would be immensely appreciated:

Spear Lord

Warrior Axe

Cavalry Lance

Cavalry Bow

Flying Bow (Claude)

Flying Sword

Wyvern Lance

Armored Sword

Armored Axe

Armored Lance

Gauntlet (perhaps this could be Byleth's moveset, with TSotC as his Warrior attack/Awakening)

Beast Stone

Bird Stone

While this is true, the weapons Link does have feel so different, with the exception of the Master Sword, of course. It's not something i'm expecting or anything, just something that would be nice to see, is all.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

I would actually die of excitement.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Bayonetta isn't showing any skin other than her face, and skin is what triggers the folks at CERO.

Bayonetta literally strips to attack. This was carried over to Smash, but only in very small doses compared to her games.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Bayonetta literally strips to attack. This was carried over to Smash, but only in very small doses compared to her games.

I would too, and it's amazing that you and I agree on something.

I would die of excitement just for the soundtrack possibilities alone, let alone the character and stage.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Wait, this actually happens? Oh, my, I never noticed that! Never really played Bayonetta and don't plan on it.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait, this actually happens? Oh, my, I never noticed that! Never really played Bayonetta and don't plan on it.

Her clothes are actually made of her hair (yes, gross), and her hair is also her primary means of attacking and casting.

So yes, to attack, she quite literally moves her hair from covering her body to forming shapes that hit the opponent, like a simultaneously disgusting and sexually provocative Shantae wannabe.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Her clothes are actually made of her hair (yes, gross), and her hair is also her primary means of attacking and casting.

So yes, to attack, she quite literally moves her hair from covering her body to forming shapes that hit the opponent, like a simultaneously disgusting and sexually provocative Shantae wannabe.

I... did not need to know that, thank you for... sharing.

That's an image I don't really want to imagine, let alone see!

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I... did not need to know that, thank you for... sharing.

That's an image I don't really want to imagine, let alone see!

Well, she is a witch, so it's all magic. She just stores power in her hair, when she needs more, she draws it out.

I've never played Bayonetta myself b/c no good at action games, but I don't mind her character.

1 hour ago, Brave Lance said:

I’ll bet it’s either a MP4 trailer

I've doubts of that, it'd have to be a tiny teaser trailer. We only learned in late October that they have hired a Lead Artist, whose prior works include Halo 4 & 5.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/metroid_prime_4_dev_retro_studios_hires_halo_character_modeller_as_new_lead_artist

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, she is a witch, so it's all magic. She just stores power in her hair, when she needs more, she draws it out.

I've never played Bayonetta myself b/c no good at action games, but I don't mind her character.

I suppose that's true, but when you think about it, it sounds pretty strange. And is that the devs logic as to why it's like that?

32 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I suppose that's true, but when you think about it, it sounds pretty strange. And is that the devs logic as to why it's like that?

There is this explanation:

Spoiler

"Hello. I’m Mari Shimazaki (Shimako), a character designer on Bayonetta.

It seems that the Bayonetta blog is finally underway! Lots of the staff from Bayonetta are going to take turns writing here, so I hope you all enjoy it.

Today is my turn, and for my first post, I thought I would give you some insight into the concept design for Bayonetta.

Truth be told, it was a real struggle to arrive at the final design for Bayonetta herself. In fact, it took a full year! I think what happened during that year is quite interesting, but it is quite a long story, so I’ll save it for another time.

When we started Bayonetta, our director, Hideki Kamiya, asked me to design a character with three traits:
1)    A Female Lead
2)    A Modern Witch
3)    She Uses Four Guns

Designers use these keywords to fuel their imagination as they draw, and after exhausting a few ideas, I arrived at the prototype design below.

1_bayonetta00
(Bayonetta Design Prototype)

Since Bayonetta is a witch, her “theme color” had to be black! The other special part of her design is the long hair wrapping around her body. The hair gathered around Bayonetta’s sleeves accentuates the movements of her limbs.

When a female character appears in an action game, her limbs often seem thin and short. That is why I tried to make her more appealing as an action game character by adjusting her proportions and extending her limbs.

Then I went about finishing up her clothing, which you can see below!

2_bayonetta01
(Bayonetta Final Design)

3_bayonetta02
(Bayonetta Bust View)

This is the final design. 😛

Bayonetta’s long hair is the source of her power, and she normally wears it around her body as a means of adornment and protection. However, once she enters battle, she can use her hair to summon incredibly powerful demons from hell. When she summons these Infernal Demons, she is using all of her power, so she has no time to control the hair wrapped around her body and thus she ends up in more “comfortable” attire. The exciting way she looks in this state is one of the parts of Bayonetta that I love.

By the way, Bayonetta’s beehive was a hairdo that I really wanted to give her, and I insisted on drawing her that way throughout the design process. As she is a witch, I thought that instead of a pointy hat, I would give her something elegant, like a wrap-do… Apparently though, Kamiya-san didn’t really care either way. 😛

There was another thing I added to Bayonetta to make her an even more appealing character…

4_bayonetta03
(Bayonetta’s Face)

Glasses! This was something that Kamiya-san really pushed for, as he was aiming to differentiate Bayonetta from other female characters and give her a sense of mystery and intelligence. Of course, I think it is just because he likes girls with glasses.

Conceptually, we were also looking to make Bayonetta “fashionable,” and I designed her so that this sense of fashion came through in all the little details, not just the glasses.

That is the story behind Bayonetta’s final design. I think I was able to put my feelings into her design, and she ended up a strong female character. So, you’d like to know how she behaves? Or maybe you are wondering what kind of battles will she get herself into? Look forward to playing the final version of Bayonetta and finding out all the answers!"

https://web.archive.org/web/20090820163727/http://platinumgames.com/2009/04/17/designing-bayonetta/

Bayonetta is a mixed bag.

• The game she stars in was made by a man, who wanted a game that was sexy and not too serious. And, he considers Bayonetta "his ideal woman".
  • BUT! Bayonetta's design was entrusted to a woman. So you can't say she is purely a product of male desire either.

She is a modern witch, as interpreted by her character designer, but also works for Kamiya's idea of a sexy game, such explains her magic hair.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer