The Game Awards 2019 Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

53 minutes ago, Etheus said:

And the issue with the FE swordies isn't cloned movesets. It's picking these clones over more interesting FE characters that can bring more to the table. Or, you know, not just making them costumes for Marth like they could have and should have been.

Again, Marth and Roy were very different to play as in melee, why cant they do that here? Change Roy's d tilt to the melee version, which hits up, make it different! Like, compare Marths u tilt to Roy's in melee, the difference is very noticable, one kills and the other does not, why cant they do that now? It's not hard, so that's not an excuse, as I've done it before. Lucina is supposed to be quick, so make her Quicker than Marth, that wasn't so hard, was it? Sure you could argue it wouldn't be balanced but, is it anyways? I think it would go a long way to making them feel more separate.

Edited by lightcosmo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

The whole "clone" thing just sounds like an excuse to say we don't want to put any effort into this character.

You don't know how game development works, you don't know a thing about Sakurai's work ethic, and you're not worth being taken seriously at all.

24 minutes ago, Florete said:

You don't know how game development works, you don't know a thing about Sakurai's work ethic, and you're not worth being taken seriously at all.

Have you not modded smash before? It takes roughly 30 minutes to change attack angles, character stats, etc. To me, that's easy, and besides he doesnt do the character stats, others do. Cause if he did the stats, we'd have melee balance all over again. This is why PM, a fan made mod was more popular than smash 4, and why Sakurai wanted it shutdown. Now what does that tell me, exactly? How about, those people actually put heart into the characters, and they knew the characters very well. And what you said still doesnt answer, "what makes a character like Lucina feel special?" You cant keep avoiding the question. Also trying to dismiss someone's point with you dont know what your talking about is silly, as I am pointing out facts, which are true.

Edited by lightcosmo

28 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Again, Marth and Roy were very different to play as in melee, why cant they do that here? Change Roy's d tilt to the melee version, which hits up, make it different! Like, compare Marths u tilt to Roy's in melee, the difference is very noticable, one kills and the other does not, why cant they do that now? It's not hard, so that's not an excuse, as I've done it before. Lucina is supposed to be quick, so make her Quicker than Marth, that wasn't so hard, was it? Sure you could argue it wouldn't be balanced but, is it anyways? I think it would go a long way to making them feel more separate.

Changing one or two moves slightly isn't a new playstyle. The amount of work necessary to actually make these characters notably unique to the average player would be staggering.

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Changing one or two moves slightly isn't a new playstyle. The amount of work necessary to actually make these characters notably unique to the average player would be staggering.

If you dont think this is true, play Marth in melee then play Roy, the experience is so different. Because you can tell, right in the beginning that Marth is much quicker. That can make Marth much more engaging to alot of people. Combo potential is also much different, as Roy has d tilt < u air for example. Marth has other combos that Roy cant pull off do to fall speed, walk speed, etc. Better than being pretty much the same character, for sure. I really cant say from melee's POV since I mainly play PM, and Roy is a fair bit better than in melee. I know that Smash U has the capabilities to do this, as they reworked ZSS from the ground up. If you play Brawl ZSS then Smash 4, you wouldn't know they were the same character! 

Edited by lightcosmo

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If you dont think this is true, play Marth in melee then play Roy, the experience is so different. Because you can tell, right in the beginning that Marth is much quicker. That can make Marth much more engaging to alot of people. Combo potential is also much different, as Roy has d tilt < u air for example. Marth has other combos that Roy cant pull off do to fall speed, walk speed, etc. Better than being pretty much the same character, for sure. I really cant say from melee's POV since I mainly play PM, and Roy is a fair bit better than in melee. I know that Smash U has the capabilities to do this, as they reworked ZSS from the ground up. If you play Brawl ZSS then Smash 4, you wouldn't know they were the same character! 

And all this really boils down to is "Roy is a crap Marth."

Melee was not a great game. Melee was certainly not a well balanced game, and Roy being "Marth but slow and bad" is perfectly indicative of that.

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

And all this really boils down to is "Roy is a crap Marth."

Melee was not a great game. Melee was certainly not a well balanced game, and Roy being "Marth but slow and bad" is perfectly indicative of that.

Did I ever say this wasn't true? Oh, wait,

Edit: oh and another thing, I dont like melee either, but to say it's not great? Yeah, that's just not true, it didn't last 3 years than die out like smash 4, it's been around for almost 20 years, its earned that. So yeah, its great.

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Cause if he did the stats, we'd have melee balance all over again.

To quote myself here, obviously I realise the balance is crap, but Ultimate isn't melee, they can update the game and fix issues like that. And even if Roy is awful, at least he's fun to play as. I can guarantee you that Smash Ultimate has characters like this as well. There is such a thing as "balancing" it, which is why I used PM as an example because they did Roy the right way. He still is very different from Marth and isn't just strictly inferior. It can be done. Heck, people like characters like Joker because he is unique. His gameplay is different and very fun. Hero? Same thing. He stands out so much compared to most of the cast.

Edited by lightcosmo

*comes running by with a Resident Evil 3 trailer, trips over smash speculation*

Ow! Oooooowwww. Did you guys HAVE to talk so much about pointy SWORD characters? Nobody wants to talk about fluffy guys like Kirby?

Alright, so I didn't forget about Sony's little Nintendo Directs, I just figured they would prioritize that space for Sony exclusives, like Ghosts of Sushima, which will instead be featured at the Game Awards in place of Resident Evil 3. Hey, I won't complain about getting my trailer early. It's just hard to not feel like my bets are being sabotaged.

@smash stuff I actually made a thread dedicated to the idea of remastering smash veterans for the benefit of those folks that feel like Smash characters need just a bit more love and attention. And you know how far down the list we got? We didn't even reach Kirby. I knew not every character would be interesting enough to drum up some conversation, but I was planning on ditching the system of individual rounds after finishing the original 12. Not getting even that far is proof more than anything that people don't generally think there's a deficiency of heart in Smash designs if they can't think of a single thing better to do with them.

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

@smash stuff I actually made a thread dedicated to the idea of remastering smash veterans for the benefit of those folks that feel like Smash characters need just a bit more love and attention. And you know how far down the list we got? We didn't even reach Kirby. I knew not every character would be interesting enough to drum up some conversation, but I was planning on ditching the system of individual rounds after finishing the original 12. Not getting even that far is proof more than anything that people don't generally think there's a deficiency of heart in Smash designs if they can't think of a single thing better to do with them.

I cant say what would make Kirbys moveset great as I haven't played many kirby games, I wouldn't know where to begin. As I had ideas for pretty much every other character in that thread that I know. Like sure if you wanted ideas for Samus I could roll up some Zero mission/fusion ideas, but that's about it. Not that Samus doesnt need a new moveset, I dont her series that well, is all. And how many people think Samus is a fun to play character In smash U? How many people seriously play her? 

Edit: for Kirby I would like to see the bubble power from squeak squad, that's my favorite power of Kirbys and I think you could do alot with it. 

Edited by lightcosmo

On 12/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, lightcosmo said:

While this is true, the weapons Link does have feel so different, with the exception of the Master Sword, of course. It's not something i'm expecting or anything, just something that would be nice to see, is all.

So, I gave this multiple movesets thing a second thought. It could be a good way to vary up characters that would otherwise be similar. 

While the movesets themselves could still be stock templates, the combinations available could really help define each person.

Ryoma and Owain share a sword moveset, but Owain would have the option to equip a tome for Robin's moveset while Ryoma would be able to equip a lance to gain Oboro's moveset.

Chrom, Lucina, and Ike could share a sword moveset, but could equip a lance, bow, and axe respectively to gain existing movesets.

Caeda could equip a sword to gain a sword flier moveset. Hinoka could equip a bow to get Claude's moveset. Cordelia could equip a tome to get a tome flier moveset.

There's potential there. It's just a very different sort of design.

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

So, I gave this multiple movesets thing a second thought. It could be a good way to vary up characters that would otherwise be similar. 

While the movesets themselves could still be stock templates, the combinations available could really help define each person.

Ryoma and Owain share a sword moveset, but Owain would have the option to equip a tome for Robin's moveset while Ryoma would be able to equip a lance to gain Oboro's moveset.

Chrom, Lucina, and Ike could share a sword moveset, but could equip a lance, bow, and axe respectively to gain existing movesets.

Caeda could equip a sword to gain a sword flier moveset. Hinoka could equip a bow to get Claude's moveset. Cordelia could equip a tome to get a tome flier moveset.

There's potential there. It's just a very different sort of design.

I would be happy with this, it's a simple but great start to something really fun.

@lightcosmo this isn't the topic to whine about Smash.

As in, one more comment about it and I warn you.  Take your axe and grind it where it belongs.  Not here.

Rest of the topic: GAME AWARDS.  Not some weird-ass tangent.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think a Banjo Kazooie remake is highly likely. And the name Banjo Redooie from that fake leak is so good it simply must happen.

I'm a little surprised we haven't had an HD remake of this and B-T yet. Now would be a great time for it. 

Having watched a B-T LP, I'm thinking they could for QoL up the walking speed by a significant amount. And for B-K, make it so you keep all the notes if you leave the world before collecting them all.

Complete this by having Nintendo shortly thereafter give us a DK64 HD remaster, with a few minigames made easier, and other QoLs.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't had an HD remake of this and B-T yet. Now would be a great time for it. 

Having watched a B-T LP, I'm thinking they could for QoL up the walking speed by a significant amount. And for B-K, make it so you keep all the notes if you leave the world before collecting them all.

Complete this by having Nintendo shortly thereafter give us a DK64 HD remaster, with a few minigames made easier, and other QoLs.

Mario 64 is also prime remake material. 

Just now, Etheus said:

Mario 64 is also prime remake material. 

Absolutely sold on that too, and after SMO, I think it's time for it. SM64DS was so long ago- should its extra content/changes be kept? They did neuter Tick-Tick Clock however. Is it too much to keep it as an additional mode apart from a pure Mario experience?

And we can throw Sunshine an HD bone. Maybe shrink the Blue Coin count and use the Shine Sprites gained for a new region in Isle Delfino? Or just add a new area or two regardless and bump the Sprite total to ~150.

Is this topic only about Nintendo console games or does any system qualify? As far as nintendo games go, I think Mario Galaxy would be kind of neat, the game was pretty out of this world already, adding more would just add to the replayability. 

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There's a special realm in hell for the person that programmed the broken beyond repair Beaver Bother minigame. As for QoL suggestions, I always believed DK64 would be made much more playable if you could switch Kongs at any moment by pausing. Though more than a handful of rooms would have to be retooled to accomodate such freedom. Most areas and challenges were programmed with only one Kong in mind, and the ability to switch may allow the player to subvert a puzzle's solution entirely. My solution is to have barrel gates that prevent the player from switching within such rooms. Or else just have an indicator in the corner telling you which areas don't allow switching. I really just want freedom of switching in the more open spaces of each level. It'll cut down considerably on backtracking to and from Tag barrels that makes completion so tedious.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Is this topic only about Nintendo console games or does any system qualify? As far as nintendo games go, I think Mario Galaxy would be kind of neat, the game was pretty out of this world already, adding more would just add to the replayability. 

The Game Awards Hype thread does not discriminate. Talk about all the games. Every last one of them.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

There's a special realm in hell for the person that programmed the broken beyond repair Beaver Bother minigame. As for QoL suggestions, I always believed DK64 would be made much more playable if you could switch Kongs at any moment by pausing. Though more than a handful of rooms would have to be retooled to accomodate such freedom. Most areas and challenges were programmed with only one Kong in mind, and the ability to switch may allow the player to subvert a puzzle's solution entirely. My solution is to have barrel gates that prevent the player from switching within such rooms. Or else just have an indicator in the corner telling you which areas don't allow switching. I really just want freedom of switching in the more open spaces of each level. It'll cut down considerably on backtracking to and from Tag barrels that makes completion so tedious.

The Game Awards Hype thread does not discriminate. Talk about all the games. Every last one of them.

I agree with Beaver Bother, and thank you for letting me know.

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Was that pun intended?

Fire Emblem Three Houses is leading the the final round of the Player's Voice community poll against three other GOTY nominees. What does this mean?

I really don't know? I don't recall "Player's Voice" from any previous year, and the FAQ does not mention it. The Community has always been allowed to vote on all categories, though the results of those votes were never made public in a poll like this. I figure the most likely outcome is that the Player's Voice will be a bonus award presented like any other. I don't expect Fire Emblem Three Houses will suddenly be a nomination for GOTY, unless the Voting Jury hadn't already cast in their votes somehow.

Tonight is the big night! Here is the link to watch. I'll be missing at least the first two hours, I expect. But I'll try to update the OP with game announcements as quick as I can.

8 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Fire Emblem Three Houses is leading the the final round of the Player's Voice community poll against three other GOTY nominees. What does this mean?

I really don't know? I don't recall "Player's Voice" from any previous year, and the FAQ does not mention it. The Community has always been allowed to vote on all categories, though the results of those votes were never made public in a poll like this. I figure the most likely outcome is that the Player's Voice will be a bonus award presented like any other. I don't expect Fire Emblem Three Houses will suddenly be a nomination for GOTY, unless the Voting Jury hadn't already cast in their votes somehow.

Tonight is the big night! Here is the link to watch. I'll be missing at least the first two hours, I expect. But I'll try to update the OP with game announcements as quick as I can.

All that tells me is what I already knew - Three Houses was underrepresented at TGAs and deserved nominations for GotY, Best RPG, Best Soundtrack, arguably Best Narrative, and arguably Games for Impact.

The actual nominations are rather laughable. I mean, a walking sim is up for Game of the Year, KH3 is somehow considered an RPG, and DMC5 is up for best soundtrack despite having just one good song.

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

All that tells me is what I already knew - Three Houses was underrepresented at TGAs and deserved nominations for GotY, Best RPG, Best Soundtrack, arguably Best Narrative, and arguably Games for Impact.

The actual nominations are rather laughable. I mean, a walking sim is up for Game of the Year, KH3 is somehow considered an RPG, and DMC5 is up for best soundtrack despite having just one good song.

Then lets rebel 

Make them put them up for nominees

FE3H for GoTY!!!!!!!!

It's like Fire Emblem games are underestimated 

"Lets take what is ours with fire and blood!"