The Game Awards 2019 Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Three Houses takes home Best Strategy Game and Player's Vote Game of the Year!

Well done! 😄

hopefully this lets them make more FE now. we ❤️ it. get a crackin IntSys!

i got stupidly excited seeing that bravely default has a ... sequel? whatever. more bravely default hurrah!

18 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

i got stupidly excited seeing that bravely default has a ... sequel? whatever. more bravely default hurrah!

I'm guessing it's an entirely new world, that this isn't a sequel to Bravely Second, or Bravely Default. I don't recognize any place they showed.

Maybe there will be silly cross-dimension cameos, but otherwise I'm thinking this will have nothing to do with the world of Luxendarc and Tiz, Agnes, Ringabel, Edea, Yew, and Magnolia.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm guessing it's an entirely new world, that this isn't a sequel to Bravely Second, or Bravely Default. I don't recognize any place they showed.

Maybe there will be silly cross-dimension cameos, but otherwise I'm thinking this will have nothing to do with the world of Luxendarc and Tiz, Agnes, Ringabel, Edea, Yew, and Magnolia.

ahhh. yeah  to be fair i didn't recognize anything. 
but as i loved Bravely Default (didn't finsh second, i should) and I loved Octopath this brings me great joy

(did they talk about Zelda at all?)

2 hours ago, Dai said:

So, hold up. Bravely Default II? What, then, was Bravely Second. I thought that was the sequel.

I'm guessing it's a bit like how they title FF games.

...I've never even heard of the game that won GotY.

And...it's over now? But there was no announcement of the fifth Smash DLC character in the first Fighter's Pass. Why didn't we get that?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Apparently, the dislike count on the stream began to suddenly rise when no Smash announcement was evident.

Really? Wow. Some people are way too butthurt. I mean, I'm disappointed at the lack of this announcement, but that doesn't mean I think the whole show was bad because of it. I thought it was kinda fun.

Man, I really regret watching this, there was like, nothing relevant for me shown at all, I don't even care about no Smash, I just wanted to see like, more than 1 thing that interested me.

Glad I didn't sit through it, and I'm glad I was right guessing about not having a smash trailer.

I was surprised that they played the trailer for Theros, Beyond Death and the MTG MMO

But why the hell did they end on a trailer for a licensed Fast & Furious game. 

To the folks complaining about TGA being "a waste of time"... that's basically how I feel about it every year, lmao.

To Sekiro winning GOTY... never played it, but I know it's another take on the Souls-like genre.  In all honesty, from what little I've played of the genre, I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway.  But others do, and I feel that exemplifies why GOTY is always such a meaningless title; people have different tastes, and genres appeal to different audiences.  From a purely logistical standpoint, games like CoD that regularly churn out huge sales would be game of the year every year because through proof of purchase those types of games are the "most popular".  But plenty of people would hardly say any of those big name games are their GOTY's for their respective years.  The other categories like "best strategy game" or "best action game" are better because they recognize the different tastes folks have.

To FE:TH winning Player's Choice, what this represents is two-fold.  First, FE is on such a rise in popularity that it's hitting places like TGA which are western-centric and generally appeal to more "casual" audiences (I don't mean "casual" as in "people who like easy games", I mean "casual" as in people who aren't hitting game forums every day at 1 AM to spew vitriolic rants about inane garbage).  Secondly, it shows the ever-spreading disconnect between how the hosts of the show feel and how the gaming audience as a whole feels.  Whether FE:TH won because FE fans are ravenous, fans of other games just didn't care, or the win was legit, it's clear that people are growing increasingly dissenting in their views of the award nominations.

To everything else... I haven't watched the show, so I don't know what all there is to talk about.  The only things that remotely peaked my interest in terms of announcements were Bravely Default (just because it's an RPG that I've thought about getting in the past) and D&D (both as someone who likes D&D and someone who loves watching trash).  I stopped following Smash news a while ago, so I don't really care much about whatever the last Smash character is... but I think even if that was Nintendo's big announcement, I'd think it was a pretty weak announcement; just another DLC pack for one of their games?  I dunno, I've always been the kind of guy who thought that entirely new games were big news, not DLC packs, but then again I'm the kind of guy who could never get into MMORPGs.