The Game Awards 2019 Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

Oof that was bad. I'm glad I didn't stay up for it but I do need to share my distaste as a matter of principle. 

The Game Awards are in the same boat as Sony's E3 presentations. If a company insists on going out of their way to torment Europeans by holding their conference deep in the night they are obligated to have something interesting as to not make it a complete waste for those that do stay up till unreasonable hours. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I updated the OP with game announcements. 

Yeah, pretty underwhelming. I think they blew the best stuff very early. Namely that trailer that ended up being No More Heroes 3. Holy cow. Also pretty weird that the next Xbox was just announced like it was no big deal. Though it took me a while to discern it was actually a new system with a name like Xbox Series X, which sounds suspiciously like Xbox One X. No nintendo is a bummer. I thought for sure Breath of the Wild 2 was a lock. The first one appeared for three consecutive years at the Game Awards. Untitled Beaker Game did have me rolling though

Let's see how I did with bets

• New Crash Bandicoot. The Crash Team Racing remake was announced at last year's show, and Activision has been teasing the possibility of a whole new game since before even that. Nope
  • Resident Evil 3 remake trailer. I made this prediction weeks ago when it we got official confirmation this project was real, and recent leaks are pointing to a reveal this month. State of Play robbed me of this one.
  • Death Stranding Accolades trailer. How did A Plague Tale Innocence get one of these and not Death Stranding?
  • Death Stranding takes home no fewer than 3 awards, but none are Game of the Year. When you're right you're right. Keep in mind I counted best performance.
  • Something Cyberpunk related. Uh huh.
  • An excellent performance of "Devil Trigger" to make up for the botched performance of last year. A man can dream.
  • Elden Ring trailer. Because Sekiro got its first teaser at the 2017 event, and this next game is multiplatform. Man, I wish.
  • The Fresh Indie Game Presented by Subway award is going to ham it up with non-subtle jokes about sponsorships. No, instead it was presented by Reggie and he just had to name drop Iwata to make me cry instead of laugh.
  • The fifth Smash DLC character is freakin' Kratos, and it's presented by Sakurai and Corey Barlog in the flesh. The fifth smash character is a no show.
  • BREATH OF THE WILD 2 TRAILER OR RIOT. I guess I know what my weekend looks like now.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I updated the OP with game announcements. 

Yeah, pretty underwhelming. I think they blew the best stuff very early. Namely that trailer that ended up being No More Heroes 3. Holy cow. Also pretty weird that the next Xbox was just announced like it was no big deal. Though it took me a while to discern it was actually a new system with a name like Xbox Series X, which sounds suspiciously like Xbox One X. No nintendo is a bummer. I thought for sure Breath of the Wild 2 was a lock. The first one appeared for three consecutive years at the Game Awards.

Honestly, I feel the naming could hurt the sale for upcoming Xbox, just like how many casual player thought WiiU was an update version of Wii rather than a new console.

I am happy with couple of announcements, puerly because i didnt bother watching that shit live lol

MU3 DLC news finaly! JEEEAAAANNNNN!!! Gambit and Ice man are super cool. And Cable is there too so thats cool i guess. I think MUA 3 now has all X-men from MUA 1 and MUA 2? Now make Beast playable you fucks! (and Vision, and Valkire and Bucky and all other NPC's)

Ghost of Tsushima looks crazy good!

The Wolf Among Us 2 is Alive!

Bravely Default 2 is nice, let me guess its going to have a sequel caled Bravely Second 2?

NMH 3 was there too, and it looks great!

Xbox SEX doesn't look so sexy though

And of course the Ultimate Super Secret Game Reavel is...... F&F, ok its like Need for Twisted metal or something. Geoff is a fan of Coronas confirmed. I think i'll stick to Heat thank you very much.

I am glad that I didn't watch the Awards... which is not a big surprise because I never watched it in previous years and any awards type event for me is so boring. Instead, I kept playing Shovel Knight (King of Cards is so fun) until the FEH trailer (good trailer, by the way), and then I went to bed.

I read that people think Bravely Default 2 was a weak annoucement from Nintendo? Hm... for people that doesn't like these games, or didn't play the previous ones (like me), it may be a weak annoucement, but it was better than "Cranky Kong is playable in Tropical Freeze" announcement. For me, it was a cool annoucement. If I don't need any knowledge of previous games, I may give it a try when it releases.

• A bunch of cgi trailers of which I have no clue what the games are about.
  • Bravely Default 2? I wish it was called Bravely Thrice. Does that mean Bravely Second 2 will come out?
  • X Box series X? That is a confusing name and a bulky design.
  • Bunch of advertisements and promotions 
  • Hey at least Three Houses won awards even of it was brushed off to the side.

22 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Honestly, I feel the naming could hurt the sale for upcoming Xbox, just like how many casual player thought WiiU was an update version of Wii rather than a new console.

Microsoft's naming scheme is practically comical by this point. 😄

Wii U wasn't the best name but just about every Xbox name has been weird after the original.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, Tryhard said:

Dark Alliance will probably be a good game, as were the older ones, but that trailer was awful.

At least there has been a few screenshots and it looks decent so far.

Yeah, I could tell that it was a first-person game. But something was really off.

Anyways, mostly watched because I wanted to see the last Smash DLC cha after of the pack. Instead I got some cool-looking games, a heightened wanting to play Wolf Among Us, and seeing for myself that FE: Three Houses and Sekiro got some good stuff out of this show.