Genealogy FE4 Item inheritance recomendations? SPOILERS for FE4 inside.

Mjolnir

I'm a bit lost regarding what's generally considered to be optimal item inheritances for each child. I think I've landed on what seem to be the some of the more common pairings for each character:

Aideen x Midir

Ayra x Holydn

Erin x Levin

Lachesis x Beowulf

Tiltyu x Azel

Sylvia x Claude

Brigid x Jamka

Now what's hurting my brain is trying to figure out which kid should get what from which parent. Also, do all rings on a character pass down? Say if I had three rings on Erin, would they all pass on to her daughter? I really can't decide who to give the pursuit ring to (except that I would like to keep it for the rest of gen 1 so leaving it on Ethylyn is not an attractive option). Ditto paragon. What is the best course of action? This is a rough outline of what I am thinking of leaving on each gen 1 character so far:

Fury-  Wind sword, Slim sword, slim lance, power ring, barrier ring

Levin- Holsety and Lightning 

Tiltyu- Any B rank Thunder or Fire

Azel- Same as Tiltyu

Aira- Hero Sword, Bolt sword

Holyn- Armorslayer, silver blade

Sylvia- Leg ring and Knight ring 

Claude- Return, Warp, Restore, Valkyrie 

Aideen- any B rank staves 

Mideer- Killer and Hero bow

Jamka- return ring

Brigid- Ichival, Silver bow

Cuan-   javelin, Gae Bolg

Ethyln’s- Light Brand 

Finn (not paired) - Brave, silver lance

Sigurd- Silver sword

One bonus question: it often suggested to NOT pair Sylvia because the replacements for her children are superior. Why are they considered to be so and is it a huge difference?

33 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

One bonus question: it often suggested to NOT pair Sylvia because the replacements for her children are superior. Why are they considered to be so and is it a huge difference?

The dancer you get as a replacement has Charisma as a skill, which is obviously pretty good for her. Since combat doesn't really matter for a dancer because they are horrible at it, Charisma is just a nice extra, really.

I would Pair Brigid with Dew(if you trained him) not only because he passes on Sol to Patty which is great she will be a really good thief 

Also Silvia and Claud get you some pretty good Lene and Coirpre and Coirpre comes with the Valkyrie Staff also Seen gets better HP growths which should help her. But yeah her replacement is better but she has  no relativity to the story.

You're better off with pairing Silvia and Claude together instead of using the substitutes. An immediate leg ring and knight ring dancer is way more useful than a measly +3 extra hit and avoid.

Anyway, if you're pairing Brigid with Jamke, I would suggest having Jamke kill the boss who drops the Bolt Sword in Chapter 3, cuz otherwise Jamke won't be able to buy a 2 ranged magic sword for Patty, who really appreciates having one when she joins

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

As stated earlier, the replacement dancer has Charisma. BUT, on the other hand, Leen can inherit the Leg Ring and Knight Ring, whereas Laylea (the aforementioned replacement) would have to buy those at a hefty price. Personally, I'd say being able to inherit stuff is far batter than Charisma.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Isn't better to leave the leg ring on Seliph in the start so he can clear the first chapter faster?

This is what I thought as well, why not start with the leg ring? Also, the bargain ring is something you could pass onto them if you really wanted to. Again I personally dont think +10 hit and avoid is that worth it, either it'll put you down to a zero of being hit and be useful or it wont and you might as well expect to get hit with the 7% anyways. Since FE4 generator and a that.

6 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Also, do all rings on a character pass down? Say if I had three rings on Erin, would they all pass on to her daughter?

Yes all of them would get passed down.

Some small advice on equipment:

Having the warp staff on Aideen to get it earlier in second gen would be a good idea.

I would have Brigid pass on the skill ring to help with a Jamke!Faval's accuracy issues, but passing it onto either of Ayra kids for more skill proc rates is nice as well.

Passing the paragon ring onto Seliph would help him get his mount faster, and make it available immediately in second gen.

I really can't decide who to give the pursuit ring to (except that I would like to keep it for the rest of gen 1 so leaving it on Ethylyn is not an attractive option)

You probably just want to keep it on someone you expect will need more money as your pairings give pursuit to the people that would want it. Perhaps give it to Lewyn, so Ced has more money to fix the Forsetti, and its good on him 1st gen anyway.

Both of Sylvia's children are in support classes that can get away with the lowered stats of the substitute characters. The advantages of the dancer have already been mentioned (if somewhat understated, as +10 hit and avoid on nearby allies is very useful), but even the replacement healer son has some advantages, as the replacement starts with paragon, which helps as he joins at an extremely low level late into the game and unable to use a weapon until he promotes. Plus the replacement unit has a special event that is the only means of getting the berserk staff.

Oh wow thanks so much to everyone for the good ideas! After hearing your opinions about the dancer, I tend to agree with those who suggested that immediately passing on leg+knight is more useful than the advantages the replacement character gives. But I can see both sides!

Thanks for the tip on the Bolt Sword, Gregster101, but unfortunately it's a bit late for that since I've just started chapter 4. Are there other swords that I could get on Jamke for Patty in the next couple of chapters? I put the return ring on him so she can at least escape if she has no good weapon.

14 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yes all of them would get passed down.

Some small advice on equipment:

Having the warp staff on Aideen to get it earlier in second gen would be a good idea.

I would have Brigid pass on the skill ring to help with a Jamke!Faval's accuracy issues, but passing it onto either of Ayra kids for more skill proc rates is nice as well.

Passing the paragon ring onto Seliph would help him get his mount faster, and make it available immediately in second gen.

You probably just want to keep it on someone you expect will need more money as your pairings give pursuit to the people that would want it. Perhaps give it to Lewyn, so Ced has more money to fix the Forsetti, and its good on him 1st gen anyway.

Both of Sylvia's children are in support classes that can get away with the lowered stats of the substitute characters. The advantages of the dancer have already been mentioned (if somewhat understated, as +10 hit and avoid on nearby allies is very useful), but even the replacement healer son has some advantages, as the replacement starts with paragon, which helps as he joins at an extremely low level late into the game and unable to use a weapon until he promotes. Plus the replacement unit has a special event that is the only means of getting the berserk staff.

This is all excellent advice, exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you so much!

It's very interesting that only a substitute unit can get the beserk staff in this game. I agree that +10 hit sounds to nearby allies sounds very useful indeed! That said, I think I will go for the story aspect and pair Sylvia and Claude just to see how it goes, and also to get the immediate knight ring + leg ring. Maybe I'll try the substitute units in another playthrough.

AideenXMidir : Midir should pass both Killer Bow and Brave Bow(they both great in arena in different situations). As for Lana, she should inherit Physic, Warp, Mend and maybe ring(any of them really, this is needed to repair staves, especially Warp and Physic in early game) to sell it.
AyraXHolyn: I don't really think that you should worry about Ayra children since they can handle Arena regardless of their weapons, but you may pass down Silver Sword and Silver Blade so you they will be 100% reliable.
ErinXLewyn: if you didn't leave Brave Lance on Fin, I suggest you to give it to Erin, since Fee is the only unit who can inherit Lances. As for Ced, nah, just pass down Forseti, he really does not need anything.
LachesisXBeowulf: Return staff, Miracle Sword(because why not) to Nanna and that's all I think. Beowulf should pass down Steel Sword and Armor Slayer. Maybe Power Ring or Shield Ring would be good for him in early game
TiltyuXAzel: I think that Arthur comes with a Wind tome, so he's fine. Maybe should pass down Elfire for the output damage, but fire magic is meh. Magic Ring will also be good for him. For Tiltyu Wind tome and Speed Ring, sadly no Thoron for her.
SylviaXClaud: for both I suggest to buy not so useless rings(Barrier, Shield, Skill Rings) so their children can sell them to earn money. Leg and Knight Ring are also good for Lene to have, but I would suggest first one for Seliph
BridgetXJamke: oof, I don't like this pairing. As you already finished Ch3 no swords for Patty I guess. I think the best option for her in that case will be inheriting Speed Ring and Pursuit Band(she's the only one that will not have Pursuit in your playthrough besides Quan and Ethlyn children and Sylvia children) you may also give her some rings so she can earn money. Faval does not need anything other than Yewfelle
Seliph: Silver Sword, Leg Ring, maybe 1-2 range sword and maybe Brave Sword, Paragon Band
I also suggest you to give Bargain Band(if you have it) someone like Patty, since it will be easier to her to level up. Brave Sword can inherit everyone unless you're playing on rank or LTC-ing(I like give it to Holyn!Patty or Leif since it will be easier to make them a valuable units)

Edited by Altha

17 hours ago, Altha said:

AideenXMidir : Midir should pass both Killer Bow and Brave Bow(they both great in arena in different situations). As for Lana, she should inherit Physic, Warp, Mend and maybe ring(any of them really, this is needed to repair staves, especially Warp and Physic in early game) to sell it.
AyraXHolyn: I don't really think that you should worry about Ayra children since they can handle Arena regardless of their weapons, but you may pass down Silver Sword and Silver Blade so you they will be 100% reliable.
ErinXLewyn: if you didn't leave Brave Lance on Fin, I suggest you to give it to Erin, since Fee is the only unit who can inherit Lances. As for Ced, nah, just pass down Forseti, he really does not need anything.
LachesisXBeowulf: Return staff, Miracle Sword(because why not) to Nanna and that's all I think. Beowulf should pass down Steel Sword and Armor Slayer. Maybe Power Ring or Shield Ring would be good for him in early game
TiltyuXAzel: I think that Arthur comes with a Wind tome, so he's fine. Maybe should pass down Elfire for the output damage, but fire magic is meh. Magic Ring will also be good for him. For Tiltyu Wind tome and Speed Ring, sadly no Thoron for her.
SylviaXClaud: for both I suggest to buy not so useless rings(Barrier, Shield, Skill Rings) so their children can sell them to earn money. Leg and Knight Ring are also good for Lene to have, but I would suggest first one for Seliph
BridgetXJamke: oof, I don't like this pairing. As you already finished Ch3 no swords for Patty I guess. I think the best option for her in that case will be inheriting Speed Ring and Pursuit Band(she's the only one that will not have Pursuit in your playthrough besides Quan and Ethlyn children and Sylvia children) you may also give her some rings so she can earn money. Faval does not need anything other than Yewfelle
Seliph: Silver Sword, Leg Ring, maybe 1-2 range sword and maybe Brave Sword, Paragon Band
I also suggest you to give Bargain Band(if you have it) someone like Patty, since it will be easier to her to level up. Brave Sword can inherit everyone unless you're playing on rank or LTC-ing(I like give it to Holyn!Patty or Leif since it will be easier to make them a valuable units)

Thank you so much for this extremely helpful and thorough write up! This seems like all around great advice and I really appreciate it.

It does now seem like it's quite a major gameplay mistaket to pair Jamka x Brigid but it's too late to change that at this point, oh well. I liked the idea of "archer babies" but clearly that doesn't work for Patty, oops. Well, I will take your advice and give her the pursuit band to make up for it. 😉 Thank you again!

18 hours ago, Altha said:

You can still Pass it down to Tine and just level up her thunder magic rank until she can use Thoron.

39 minutes ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

You can still Pass it down to Tine and just level up her thunder magic rank until she can use Thoron.

The weapon rank system only levels up via class promotion, not weapon usage. Tine cannot use Thoron until she promotes

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Thank you so much for this extremely helpful and thorough write up! This seems like all around great advice and I really appreciate it.

It does now seem like it's quite a major gameplay mistaket to pair Jamka x Brigid but it's too late to change that at this point, oh well. I liked the idea of "archer babies" but clearly that doesn't work for Patty, oops. Well, I will take your advice and give her the pursuit band to make up for it. 😉 Thank you again!

It's not like a mistake pairing JamkeXBrigid, you can pair up whoever you want. There are good pairings that can benefit one child but make another child bad(or just hard to use) like AideenXClaud. It's just hard to work with JamkeXBridgit, since Jamke can't pass useful skills(Adept is good, but Pursuit is better), Holy Blood, weapon rank(Holyn for example) or good swords. It's not like Patty will be bad if you pair Brigid with Jamke, it's just it will be much harder to level her up to promotion level. Adept is still good and both children will be happy to have it, so don't worry about Patty, just make sure that she'll get needed resources so she can level up quickly. Good luck with Gen 2, I see that your pairings are good, so it should not be a threat to beat it 🙂 

Edited by Altha

23 hours ago, Altha said:

It's not like a mistake pairing JamkeXBrigid, you can pair up whoever you want. There are good pairings that can benefit one child but make another child bad(or just hard to use) like AideenXClaud. It's just hard to work with JamkeXBridgit, since Jamke can't pass useful skills(Adept is good, but Pursuit is better), Holy Blood, weapon rank(Holyn for example) or good swords. It's not like Patty will be bad if you pair Brigid with Jamke, it's just it will be much harder to level her up to promotion level. Adept is still good and both children will be happy to have it, so don't worry about Patty, just make sure that she'll get needed resources so she can level up quickly. Good luck with Gen 2, I see that your pairings are good, so it should not be a threat to beat it 🙂 

Oh phew! I'm glad it's not a big problem. The first gen so far is kicking some major behind, I'm very happy with the pairings and inheritance decisions I made generally. Thank you again for all the very helpful advice! 🙂

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

Oh phew! I'm glad it's not a big problem. The first gen so far is kicking some major behind, I'm very happy with the pairings and inheritance decisions I made generally. Thank you again for all the very helpful advice! 🙂

It's nothing really. Enjoy the game🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

This is a joke? Children don't inherit anything that they can't use immediately.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:46 AM, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

I would Pair Brigid with Dew(if you trained him) not only because he passes on Sol to Patty which is great she will be a really good thief 

Also Silvia and Claud get you some pretty good Lene and Coirpre and Coirpre comes with the Valkyrie Staff also Seen gets better HP growths which should help her. But yeah her replacement is better but she has  no relativity to the story.

Brigid-Dew also gives Bargain to help Faval with Yewfelle maintenance. Sety!Claude can also use Valkyrie.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, Gregster101 said:

You're better off with pairing Silvia and Claude together instead of using the substitutes. An immediate leg ring and knight ring dancer is way more useful than a measly +3 extra hit and avoid.

Anyway, if you're pairing Brigid with Jamke, I would suggest having Jamke kill the boss who drops the Bolt Sword in Chapter 3, cuz otherwise Jamke won't be able to buy a 2 ranged magic sword for Patty, who really appreciates having one when she joins

Charisma gives a 10% Hit/Avoid boost. I found that I appreciate Charisma more, especially with the high-avo bosses on terrain in the 2nd gen. Passing down Leg+Knight rings is far more convenient, but money is hardly ever an issue on 2nd gen, especially when you can gear your pairings around it - e.g. pairing Laylea with Dew's son or a Bargain Ring holder. Leg Ring only costs 20k, just add the Knight Ring later. This also gives some startup money to whoever does inherit them.

Tl;Dr: Laylea takes more work but rewards you. She can also get the Barrier Sword.

7 hours ago, AyraXLex said:

Charisma gives a 10% Hit/Avoid boost. I found that I appreciate Charisma more, especially with the high-avo bosses on terrain in the 2nd gen. Passing down Leg+Knight rings is far more convenient, but money is hardly ever an issue on 2nd gen, especially when you can gear your pairings around it - e.g. pairing Laylea with Dew's son or a Bargain Ring holder. Leg Ring only costs 20k, just add the Knight Ring later. This also gives some startup money to whoever does inherit them.

Tl;Dr: Laylea takes more work but rewards you. She can also get the Barrier Sword.

Not worth it honestly. In a run where Laylea and Sharlow are the only subs, a third charisma just feels very superfluous. Between Seliph's leadership stars and Lachesis' kids, you should have more than enough extra hit and avoid.

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Not worth it honestly. In a run where Laylea and Sharlow are the only subs, a third charisma just feels very superfluous. Between Seliph's leadership stars and Lachesis' kids, you should have more than enough extra hit and avoid.

Those characters arent always in the same part of the map. I could argue that with having 3 units with bargain and the ability to make Patty usable, worrying about the cost is superfluous.

I do think it's close enough that it comes down to preference, personally i would rather have access to a dancer with charisma, at the cost of a chapter or two with a less effective dancer (and funnelling 60k into Laylea for both rings), than not have any ability to acquire it. I see both sides, but i do have an opinion.

Just dont forget about the Barrier Sword, Seliph/Arthur holding the Leg Ring, and another unit getting a cool 20k when they sell the Knight ring.

Edited by AyraXLex

12 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Depends on what you are trying to do with the run. On an Iron man run having an extra charisma can save people's lives, and when trying to kill Julius without Julia it lets you hit some key benchmarks in that fight that you otherwise miss without the extra charisma. I seem to remember the extra charisma helping with some key benchmarks with Ishtar as well, but I don't remember the exact details off the top of my head.