2020 Gaming Hopes/Wishes

Brave Lance

So, with 2019 coming to a close and a full year of new games on the horizon, what do you want to see? Or what do you not want to see? Feel free to mention anything, no matter how unrealistic- it’s your hopes, not your predictions.

Anyways, in no particular order, here are mine:

Either FE Warriors or Xeno Warriors. I’d personally like to see Xeno a little more just because I didn’t like how the gameplay of FE Warriors turned out, but I’d love both nonetheless. There are great casts, locations and mechanics to choose from.

Leave the Diamond/Pearl remakes alone. I love these games to death, and they’re the gen that I grew up with- hell, Pearl was the first game I ever bought on my own- but I don’t want those games remade in the style that Sword/Shield are. Even if they’ve been working on the remakes concurrently with S/S, they should take the next year or two to see how people feel about the games and change things for the better for the remakes, sort of like the minor quality-of-life improvements in ORAS from X/Y.

A Persona 5 port to switch. I know how unlikely it is, but I can always dream. At least Scramble looks just as amazing as the basegame.

The first DLC fighter for the 2nd group to be Rex/Pyra. I still haven’t fully recovered from the crushing pain of them just missing out. If the next 5 are Nintendo reps then they’re obvious choices. It wouldn’t hurt to build a little hype around Xenoblade while Definitive Edition is dropping, either.

The big 2020 game to be Super Nintendo Kart, with a reworked roster, maps and mechanics to include a larger Nintendo roster instead of just Mario. The next MK game is almost definitely going to lean further in this direction, and I’m hoping for the most innovative MK game yet. Besides, if it was different enough from MK8D they could still have a reason to sell MK8D as the regular Mario kart formula.

Punch-Out Switch! The last new content we got was his debut in smash 4, and it’s a simple but fun game that could be a great installment in the first half of the year. Maybe announced in a January direct?

Also, a better Online service with more games, but I’m pretty sure everyone wants that.

Last but certainly not least, a POR/RD remastered bundle. Please. I’ll buy it again, and put another 500 hours into Radiant Dawn after playing POR like twice. Please.

My 2020 gaming hope is to actually have the time to finish the games I've started. I still have yet to finish The Witcher 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, World of Light (Smash Bros. Ultimate)… it's a long list, and it's only going to get longer unless I'm able to finish some of them. 

Fire Emblem Warriors 2

Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War Remake

Fire Emblem PoR & RD remaster

Tales of the Abyss remaster on modern consoles

Tales of Symphonia remaster on modern consoles

Smash Bros Ultimate - Fighter Pass 2 to include Dante and Ezio

Third person mode announced for Cyberpunk 2077 (please!!!)

• I want crossplatform play to be the norm. Sony has been holding out for most of this generation but I want them to make good on their promises for the rest of the PS4's life and moving into the PS5.
  • I want the next Capcom fighter. 
    • I want fighting games to no longer have atrocious (6-8 frames) input lag. This is an issue mostly exclusive to Japanese fighters as far as I've been hearing. They deliberately increase input lag in all modes, so that the player is less inclined to notice latency when playing online versus. That's scummy as hell and the competitive skill ceiling suffers for it. Just hire some western developers to teach you good netcode, goddamnit.
      • also as long as I'm here, my ideal Capcom Fighter isn't Street Fighter or a redo of Marvel Infinite. I want Capcom All-Stars. Capcom is the only company I'd point to as having a roster as compelling as Nintendo has, so I say it's time they make their own Smash Bros. No more dealing with Marvel/Disney or any other partner, just put in whatever characters they want.
  • I want the next Xbox and Playstation consoles to be backwards compatible with all previous systems. Even if it's through a paid service where the games are streamed via the cloud like Playstation Now. Xbox One has already accomplished this feet at no subscription fee, so I'm hoping that will be the standard moving forward. Just pop in your old disc, and the system just starts downloading the software and runs it.
  • I want at least three killer games on launch day for either PS5 Or the next Xbox. But the added stipulation? They're not cross platform with PS4 and Xbox One. I think the game industry is in for a rough ride if this next gen can't distinguish itself from the last. And that's what's going to happen if the first year is just a bunch of games still available on current gen, and "definitive editions" of 2-3 year old games.
  • I hope Final Fantasy 7 Part 1 isn't a flop, and that Part 2 at least gets a release date by the end of the year.
  • I hope Pokemon defies all sense and doesn't release a game in 2020.
  • I hope Nintendo Switch Online gets not only N64 games by the end of the year, but Game Boy games as well.
  • I want Nintendo to release a new design of Joycon that's cheaper and doesn't break down after a year holy shit.
  • The next Metroid game. Even if Prime 4 was viable for 2020, I'd still ask for a proper Metroid sequel in its place. I replayed Metroid Fusion this year for the first time in over a decade and I was reminded why I've burned so much for a sequel. The way that game ends is just so compelling - you just know it's going to open with a prison break. Samus is now the one who gets to be hunted by the Federation. I'm so into that premise. Call it Metroid: Acquittal, or Metroid: Exoneration.
  • I want Konami and Bethesda to make a proper effort to redeem themselves. 
  • I want EA to greenlight another single player game after the success of Jedi Fallen Order.
Edited by Glennstavos

I just want REmake 3 and FF7R to enthrall me like they did when I was a kid. I know they won't, but I can hope.

Aldo, deets on the next FE would be nice.

Other than that, I'll just keep banging my "WHERE'S DRAGON'S DOGMA 2?!" drum outside of the Capcom offices. Now that Itsuno's been working on a mystery project since DMCV came out, I'm hoping we'll hear about it.

Edited by Slumber

I agree with everyone saying a PoR and RD remaster and FE Warriors 2. I want those so bad.

I'm also hoping for Paper Mario Switch already. Feels too long now since we got Color Splash on the Wii U.

Oh, and Zelda: Skyward Sword HD. Last time we heard anything on this idea, there were no plans, but that could've changed by now.

A new Megaman game, from any of its series. Preferably X or ZX, but I'd be fine with a Megaman 12 or... Legends 3, as unlikely as it is. Bonus points if the Megaman X Corrupted fangame is released by 2020, which it probably won't.

Seconding on the PoR/RD bundle remake, although the latter is perfectly playable still, PoR really needs to be improved. I'm also very curious about the cancelled 3DS game - which could be the new entry. If it's a FE4 remake, even better.

Expecting news on a Trails game, be it a continuation of the series (including a translation on Cold Steel 4) or a port remake of the Crossbell duology.

Whichever new Batman Arkham project they're working on might be good. I'll keep an eye on that.

Elden Ring, which probably won't be a thing on 2020, but I really want to see more about it or about anything Souls related. A 'Bloodborne 2' is still my dream game.

One can dream that maybe we'll see much more Deltarune content in 2020 too. It'd be a miracle for it to be actually released then, but one can hope.

Whatever game 999 and Danganrompa's writers are working on has my interest by default.

2020 gaming wants:

Fire emblem 4 Remake.

Other fire emblem titles remastered for switch. 

Eternal Sonata 2 (will never happen but eh) 

More crossover games like project x zone.

Tales of arise to not have a shitty combat system, its not hard just fall back on ones that were the best (Xillia, Symphonia, Graces and Vesperia)

Fire emblem three houses wave 4 to be actually interesting. DLC in fire emblem has always been lackluster and the first 3 waves prove that statement. 

FF7 remake to not be episodic. but we know it is damnit. 

some kinda really cool immersive MMORPG. havent really played one in a long time and would like to get into one again. ascent infinite realm may just be the one.

I'd like to see a P5R DLC featuring an alternate story from Mitsuru's and/or Naoto's viewpoints, and their struggles against the corrupt Japanese government.

While I won't get FE Heroes all the same, I still would be interested seeing TMSFE characters in that game. Bonus points if they all have alternate versions resembling P3-P5 characters.

A DLC featuring the continuation stories from Three Houses. I want to see Edelgard vanquish the conspiracy once and for all!

Edited by henrymidfields

I want the following games to be good:

• Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Doom Eternal
  • Lego: Star Wars - The Skywalker Saga

Also:

• A strong launch to the 9th console generation
  • Less buggy games at day one.
  • Tone down the "games are a service model". I want stuff to do now, not 8 months later.
  • Backwards compatibility
  • Less homogenized open world sandbox design
  • More perks for Nintendo online.
  • More ports of older titles

For me, asking for specific titles will create a monkeys paw.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

I want Shin Megami Tensei V to come out. That's all I really want. Everything else will be bonus, since I'm content with what is already announced and I just hope that the transition period between gens will not be so sluggish as with gen 8. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa are DLC characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
  • For the following upcoming titles to be good: Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3 Remake, and Cyberpunk 2077
  •  For ANY information about Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Capcom redeems Street Fighter and Vs Capcom
  • A new Castlevania game, be it a side scroller or Metroidvannia game
  • Arc System Works make a full on "Jump Fighters" fighting game that's actually good
  • Intelligence Systems keeps up the good work they did with Three Houses
  • XCOM 3 becomes a reality
  • A Jedi Fallen Order sequel that's just as good, if not better, than it's predecessor
  • In a surprise reveal, Link and Samus, along with two other Nintendo characters, are DLC for Ultimate Alliance 3
  • A Wolverine video game that won't be squandered potential 
  • Myazaki developing a dark science fiction action video game
  • A new Nier title
  • Ninja Gaiden 4 becomes a reality
  • For American video game developers to actually make games that'll be worth buying