Who should have been playable in Part 2?

Jotari

So one of the things in Three House people have commented on is the utter lack of recruits in the game. You get your basic house characters, and then later on some of the staff and that's it. You can recruit characters from other houses however so the cast isn't exactly small. However that ends in Part 2 making the cast seem very limiting. Most games have a continuous stream of recruits so even in iron mode if you lose a unit it's not the end of the world.

So, with all that in mind, who from the preexisting story should have been playable in the game? (I know there's a thread about creating Three House characters, but this is about making preexisting characters playable).

Nader for example, I have absolutely no idea why he wasn't playable in Verdant Wind. A lot of the parents of the noble characters seem like they would naturally be playable once the war starts too (having Bernadette's father as actual existing character could be really interesting).

Judith, Roderigue, Nader, Ladislava, Randolph, Fleche, and Rhea are all possible depending on the route. Judith not being playable is very strange given she basically hangs out in the monastery like a PC would for most of VW anyway.

In a hypothetical version of the game where the Agarthians had been better-written, I think an Agarthian PC could have added a lot, too.

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(having Bernadette's father as actual existing character could be really interesting).

So, so many people would kill him off, it's not even funny. Which is a shame, because then you never get to see the support chain where Bernie finally speaks out against him.

...But none of this would happen, because Count Varley is among the nobles Edelgard goes after. Someone like Count Hevring (Linhardt's dad) or Count Bergliez (Caspar's) would fit better.

Perhaps some of the parents/other family could act as substitute characters should their child die.  Someone like Ferdinand is SOL, but there might be an excuse for Hilda's dad to show up (as an example).

Besides, we all know that the scariest recruit would be Claude's mom.  😛

For Crimson Flower: Ladislava, Randolph, and Fleche should've been playable. I've also seen some people wish Metodey was playable. Count Bergliez and Count Hevring would also make sense, since they're said to be fighters. Caspar's brother is also a good candidate.

For Azure Moon: Rodrigue is a good candidate, and so is someone from Sylvain or Ingrid's family. Ingrid has brothers, so maybe one of them?

Verdant Wind: JUDITH. She literally stays at the Monastery. Nader would also be a good choice, and so would Holst Goneril (since the border is more secure at this time. I don't blame him for not going though). Claude's mother would also be an interesting character to meet. There's also a lot of minor Alliance lords that aren't mentioned, so maybe someone from a minor house.

Silver Snow: Rhea. In her special armor too.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Perhaps some of the parents/other family could act as substitute characters should their child die.  Someone like Ferdinand is SOL, but there might be an excuse for Hilda's dad to show up (as an example).

Besides, we all know that the scariest recruit would be Claude's mom.  😛

I don't think substitute characters would go down well. It'd feel a bit like Shadow Dragon. "I need to kill X to use Y! What a rip!" Substitute characters in Genealogy at least didn't require you killing someone you e invested resources into (well beyond the plot killing them and deciding to move to an entirely different cast).

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Judith and Nader definitely for Claude's route. Ladislava, Randolph, and Fleche would all be good for Edelgard's route. I'd also say Rodrigue for Dimitri's route, and Rhea for the church's, but I feel like it'd be difficult to rework the story for them to be playable.

If we had Rhea for even the Nemesis fight it would have been cool. Gotoh is an archtype after all.

Edited by Jotari

Let's see... uh, Lisa Lisa, Caesar Zep-

Oh wait, that's not the Part 2 you meant.  Sorry...

To be serious for a moment...

I hate to make a blanket statement here, but how about literally all of the named NPCs?  The ones I'd see the biggest potential issues with working into playable characters are Rhea and basically any of the NPCs that die.  With the former you'd get a Gotoh situation where she's only playable in, like, the final chapter, and with the latter you get a Revelation!Scarlet situation where a character you may have invested in (either emotionally or raising them up in levels) will just be suddenly lost.

Judith and Nader definitely should've been playable in the Verdant Wind route, especially since the former technically joins your army and hangs around the monastery, but you can't actually use her. Here's hoping she's playable in an update like Jeritza.

I could also see Fleche being playable as like a mini Est in the Crimson Flower route.

I also feel like Holst should've made an appearance as well. It's weird that they keep hyping up Hilda's brother as this super strong warrior, and yet we never actually see him on screen.

Edited by Gregster101

I have nothing againist the Malledus archetype, but is kinda outdated as it was a way to give the lord someone to talk to that won't die no matter what you do. We don't need such a thing anymore because the devs realized that they could just injure people instead. So i think that if someone follow you storywise, they should be playable as long as they are able to fight. 

Rodrigue is the only one that imo should remain a Malledus, but i would have him injured in some way to justify him not fighting. This is mostly because i am not a fan of Revelation Scarlet.

58 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I also feel like Holst should've made an appearance as well. It's weird that they keep hyping up Hilda's brother as this super strong warrior, and yet we never actually see him on screen.

Given Hilda's personality, It seems like this is a joke if anything, as every time you get ready to battle, he gets sick, etc. That's just what I get from it, but he never actually helps you. I could be wrong, though.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Given Hilda's personality, It seems like this is a joke if anything, as every time you get ready to battle, he gets sick, etc. That's just what I get from it, but he never actually helps you. I could be wrong, though.

For the sidequests he often gets sick but he actually does go to war at the end of the Golden Deer story. 

Spoiler

He rides out to fight Nemisis and gets badly wounded. Still its implied he did at least decently well, especially considering who he's up against. 

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Judith and Nader definitely should've been playable in the Verdant Wind route, especially since the former technically joins your army and hangs around the monastery, but you can't actually use her. Here's hoping she's playable in an update like Jeritza.

I could also see Fleche being playable as like a mini Est in the Crimson Flower route.

You know this begs the question from me (that I won't bother making a dedicated thread for because I'm sure someone can answer it easily), but how was Jeritza handled before the update? My Crimson Flower playtrhough happened post update so he joins pretty sensibly come part two. Was their originally no elabortation at all about the Death Knight working for Edelgard other than just confirming it at the end of Part 1? Not that there's really much elaboration with him as a playable character, but did he just vanish entirely originally or was he also hanging around the monastery inexplicably unplayable during Crimson Flower originally?

For Verdant Wind Judith and Nader probably should of been playable. They’re both central characters that already have stats as they appear in battle as green units. Judith even has the lord class which is quite uncommon. Nader being a wyvern rider probably would’ve been quite strong but it’s not like this game is very balanced anyway. Plus I’d love to learn a bit of more Almyran culture from Nader, and dive a bit deeper in Judith’s reputation.

In azure moon personally I would of loved to see Rodrigue be playable. Even if I didn’t use him, a support conversation between him and Felix would of been very interesting to see. Them discussing chivalry, and them finally talking to each other about Glenn, and what him being dead really means to them. 

Edited by MagmaNaught
Spelling mistakes

44 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You know this begs the question from me (that I won't bother making a dedicated thread for because I'm sure someone can answer it easily), but how was Jeritza handled before the update? My Crimson Flower playtrhough happened post update so he joins pretty sensibly come part two. Was their originally no elabortation at all about the Death Knight working for Edelgard other than just confirming it at the end of Part 1? Not that there's really much elaboration with him as a playable character, but did he just vanish entirely originally or was he also hanging around the monastery inexplicably unplayable during Crimson Flower originally?

After the Battle of Garreg Mach in the Crimson Flower route, the Death Knight never showed up again. The only time he was brought up again was in a Monastery conversation with Manuela, where she mentions going up to the Death Knight to give him a piece of her mind for stabbing her five years ago, and the Death Knight giving her a sincere heartfelt apology for doing so.

Even if they weren't recruited, it would be nice to actually *see* all these named off-screen relatives.  Like most of the character's fathers, Hilda's brother, etc.

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

After the Battle of Garreg Mach in the Crimson Flower route, the Death Knight never showed up again. The only time he was brought up again was in a Monastery conversation with Manuela, where she mentions going up to the Death Knight to give him a piece of her mind for stabbing her five years ago, and the Death Knight giving her a sincere heartfelt apology for doing so.

Spoiler

He's DLC

Edited by Rezzy

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Even if they weren't recruited, it would be nice to actually *see* all these named off-screen relatives.  Like most of the character's fathers, Hilda's brother, etc.

Reveal hidden contents

He's DLC

I'm referring to before the DLC update that added Jeritza as a playable character, cuz prior to that, he never showed up again after the Battle of Garreg Mach

15 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

We really should have a support of exactly that. It could actually be quite cute if the big monster in skull armor is seen apologizing after Manuela drives him into a corner. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

We really should have a support of exactly that. It could actually be quite cute if the big monster in skull armor is seen apologizing after Manuela drives him into a corner. 

I totally agree with this. Someone even wrote a custom support for the two on this server 

It really makes me wish Jeritza had more supports with other characters like Manuela, Edelgard, and Hubert.

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

What I expected, but still weirdly lazy for the game. If it wasn't for that monastery conversation one could assume he died in the Part 1 fight, as he is very likely to do considering how difficult Rhea as a boss is to reliable take down and his tendency to charge her. Honestly a large part of me things they easily could have put Jereitza in the game at launch but decided not to just to have continuous updates to the game extending it's life span and brewing hype. The Spa building is also a massive indicator of this possibility. Can't tell the number of times I tried to enter it thinking it was the training grounds. Looks like it took more time to model then it would have taken to implement the rather basic onsen feature.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Full agreement here. Three Houses looks like it's trying to be Genealogy with a wide expansive cast of characters each plotting to advance their dynasty, but its reluctance to ever put someone who looks like they're older than 30 on screen completely stops it from actually feeling like it's Genealogy. I just can't find myself caring about this world as much as they want me to simply because a lot of the key players in it are names without faces. Even jpegs of them on the chapter intros would have done wonders. I wouldn't even mind if they go old school and made half of them palette swaps of the same guy!

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For the sidequests he often gets sick but he actually does go to war at the end of the Golden Deer story. 

Reveal hidden contents

He rides out to fight Nemisis and gets badly wounded. Still its implied he did at least decently well, especially considering who he's up against. 

Reading that, it still sounds like it's not to be taken seriously, but we'll never know, I guess.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Full agreement here. Three Houses looks like it's trying to be Genealogy with a wide expansive cast of characters each plotting to advance their dynasty, but its reluctance to ever put someone who looks like they're older than 30 on screen completely stops it from actually feeling like it's Genealogy. I just can't find myself caring about this world as much as they want me to simply because a lot of the key players in it are names without faces. Even jpegs of them on the chapter intros would have done wonders. I wouldn't even mind if they go old school and made half of them palette swaps of the same guy!

I was surprised to learn Dedue is only 18. I assumed from his hair and facial structure that he was 53 and sent to protect the son of his liege while they were away from home and to keep him catching the madness that befell his great-uncle Laerti while he studied and frolicked aboard.

I assumed the same of Hubert as well, how is he in his late teens?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What I expected, but still weirdly lazy for the game. If it wasn't for that monastery conversation one could assume he died in the Part 1 fight, as he is very likely to do considering how difficult Rhea as a boss is to reliable take down and his tendency to charge her. Honestly a large part of me things they easily could have put Jereitza in the game at launch but decided not to just to have continuous updates to the game extending it's life span and brewing hype. The Spa building is also a massive indicator of this possibility. Can't tell the number of times I tried to enter it thinking it was the training grounds. Looks like it took more time to model then it would have taken to implement the rather basic onsen feature.

They had already delayed the game once. There's no way it would've been ready in time including that without delaying it again. Or are you saying they should've delayed it again?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

And since many of the students are already conveniently color coded, a simple hair color change is all you need!