Who should have been playable in Part 2?

Jotari

3 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

They had already delayed the game once. There's no way it would've been ready in time including that without delaying it again. Or are you saying they should've delayed it again?

No, I don't think implementing him would have taken that much work. If he used the already existing Death Knight armour at least. Supports would be the most costly thing.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Full agreement here. Three Houses looks like it's trying to be Genealogy with a wide expansive cast of characters each plotting to advance their dynasty, but its reluctance to ever put someone who looks like they're older than 30 on screen completely stops it from actually feeling like it's Genealogy. I just can't find myself caring about this world as much as they want me to simply because a lot of the key players in it are names without faces. Even jpegs of them on the chapter intros would have done wonders. I wouldn't even mind if they go old school and made half of them palette swaps of the same guy!

That is pretty much the one weakness I can find in Fodlan's world building. A lot of leaders simply don't show up. We know who Holst, Count Gloucester and Count Bergliez are, what their personalities are like and what they are all about but they don't show up. We only ever hear other people talk about them. 

When they actually do show up its also underwhelming. Annette's uncle has a fairly defined personality and a neat little arc but that's diminished by him being a generic Paladin. Though this is actually fairly common in Koei game. In the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors a lot of important but unplayable characters all share a set of generic officer models until they become playable. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 12/15/2019 at 12:14 AM, Jotari said:

I don't think substitute characters would go down well. It'd feel a bit like Shadow Dragon. "I need to kill X to use Y! What a rip!" Substitute characters in Genealogy at least didn't require you killing someone you e invested resources into (well beyond the plot killing them and deciding to move to an entirely different cast).

SD had the right idea, but the implementation is sloppy.  What I had in mind was a combination of the two - you know who you'll get, but only if said person dies.  I guess it would be good if you have an underleveled student, and you want whoever's behind them.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, Flere210 said:

I have nothing againist the Malledus archetype, but is kinda outdated as it was a way to give the lord someone to talk to that won't die no matter what you do. We don't need such a thing anymore because the devs realized that they could just injure people instead. So i think that if someone follow you storywise, they should be playable as long as they are able to fight. 

I have to disagree, on the basis that "injuring important playable character" always strikes me as a cop-out that breaks story-gameplay integration. I loved the fact that I could get Caeda killed on the very first chapter of Shadow Dragon - the stakes were real, and it affected the ending. It was also my first FE, so when I played my second FE, Radiant Dawn, I got Reyson injured, and he left the field of battle. I kept waiting for him to get better... and waiting... until I got to the Tower. Ike insists on bringing one heron, so I can finally get Reyson back, right? Nope, he's grayed out. He seems fine in story scenes, so I can't use him... why, exactly?

That's the problem - injury doesn't have the same finality as death. And the endings (Was wounded in chapter XX) are so much less impactful than (Perished in chapter XX). Plus, some characters can have important influence on the war outside the field of battle. That is, the Malledus archetype. My preferred system would be a handful of unplayable story-relevant characters, plus some playable, but their deaths impact the story. If you want a character playable, but unkillable, then their death should trigger a Game Over (like Elincia in PoR, or the non-main lords in Eliwood's Emblem).

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

SD had the right idea, but the implementation is sloppy.  What I had in mind was a combination of the two - you know who you'll get, but only if said person dies.  I guess it would be good if you have an underleveled student, and you want whoever's behind them.

Inb4 killing off Raphael becomes an optimal strategy.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, Jotari said:

Would people kill Bernadetta just for an opportunity to kill her father?

Depends on whether or not he was a useful unit.  Even if he was dead weight, he can meatshield or something~!

On 12/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, Jotari said:

Would people kill Bernadetta just for an opportunity to kill her father?

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Depends on whether or not he was a useful unit.  Even if he was dead weight, he can meatshield or something~!

You people need to ask the important question.
Would people kill Bernadetta for an opportunity to S rank her father ?
Would people kill Felix for an opportunity to S rank his dad ?

Big Brain Time guys! 😛

On the subject... Rhea should have been playable. Nemesis should have been playable. And the big monsters too, I like big monsters.
Look you have your dreams, I have mine. >_>

Hilda's brother, Holst, is a character that just make me groan internally and roll my eyes each time he is mentioned. Every time they sell it to us as some sort of badass, but each time, he is not there, he is defeated, we even have a chapter because the dumbass got food poisoned, how lame is that ? I seriously dislike that guy. Show don't tell much IS ?

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

Big Brain Time guys! 😛

On the subject... Rhea should have been playable. Nemesis should have been playable. And the big monsters too, I like big monsters.
Look you have your dreams, I have mine. >_>

Hilda's brother, Holst, is a character that just make me groan internally and roll my eyes each time he is mentioned. Every time they sell it to us as some sort of badass, but each time, he is not there, he is defeated, we even have a chapter because the dumbass got food poisoned, how lame is that ? I seriously dislike that guy. Show don't tell much IS ?

Truly you ask the important questions.

Re: Holst: Maybe that was the point.

18 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Big Brain Time guys! 😛

The obvious answer is that substitutes don't get supports, full stop.  That's the other penalty of losing their kid!

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Truly you ask the important questions.

Re: Holst: Maybe that was the point.

The point that everything about him is a "informed ability", or that we don't see him ?
The game try to sell him as gold, but in my eyes, he's not even copper, he is garbage in every front. One moment that made me scoff in GD, is when he succeeded (but not too much), at keeping at bay you know who, as if that's supposed to tell us 'Wow, how strong they are'. Bruh.
They say Byleth is suish, I say that guy is more.

The game is rather guilty about show don't tell issue or whatever it's called.

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The obvious answer is that substitutes don't get supports, full stop.  That's the other penalty of losing their kid!

What. What is the point of having dilfs in the party if you can't support them ?!!

(in all seriousness, that's rather fair.)

Edited by B.Leu

Holst is a meme. He is basically that super powerful guy that the plot always hinder in some way in order to justify why he was not here. Too bad the joke get old quickly and we are left whit a guy that should at least be an NPC or a boss and instead is a ghost. And to add insult to injury we have several maps whit generic commander. It's like IS couldn't be bothered whit making one more portrait.

Hot take: Holst doesn't exist.  He's actually some random guy that happens to take the post, and when he got "food poisoning", it was because the previous stand-in died.  This is to keep Hilda in line, lest she becomes a female Lindhart.

On a more serious note, if Holst actually existed as a character, he'd be the exception to the "no support" rule.  His only support would be Cyril.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Hot take: Holst doesn't exist.  He's actually some random guy that happens to take the post, and when he got "food poisoning", it was because the previous stand-in died.  This is to keep Hilda in line, lest she becomes a female Lindhart.

On a more serious note, if Holst actually existed as a character, he'd be the exception to the "no support" rule.  His only support would be Cyril.

Why not Hilda as well? They are brother and sister after all

On 12/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Gregster101 said:

Why not Hilda as well? They are brother and sister after all

Hilda Actually Exists.  Holst exists by word of mouth.  A horrible example of telling and not showing IMO.

A lot of people seem to be saying Rodrigue, Ladislava and Randolph should be playable, but

Spoiler

Cause they die

it would be pretty weird, Three Houses does take units away but at least you have options to use them to the end but with these guys you would just have to stop using them permanently. 

Judith really should have been playable after Ailel, no reason for the Hero of Daphnel to not be playable. 

People want Nader too but i find it funny that after Merceus he flees and never returns, since in CF and VW it's heavily that the only reason his "undefeated" is because he runs away before he loses. he could be cool though. Holst could be another VW option though, but maybe he had mushroom poisoning or something.

CF could definately get Fleche after chapter 15 though.

Some people want Rhea in VW and SS but it would be weird since you could have her for chapter 21/20, but the chapter afterwards wouldnt' work due to her 

Spoiler

Injuries after taking all those missiles/ being the final boss.

AM could get margave Gautier or someone but i think it's fine with just Gilbert tbh. Maybe you could secretly get 

Spoiler

Jeritza

if you do some stuff with Mercedes after Merceus battle because of her story ties to him or something idk.

SS could give you 

Spoiler

Indech and Macuil as Beast Units

That would be cool.

I think when people say "i wanted dead person x" to be playable they imply that they want to change the plot so they don't die. An idea whit Rodrigue is that he could be Mutually exclusive whit Dedue and if you don't meet the condition to save him he does the "snap Dimitri out of insanity" scene. 

Rodrigue's death is an important part of Dimitri's arc, and should not be changed.

Randolph's death scene is brief, but would be kinda hard to remove (Dorothea, Fleche, and some random NPCs all reference his death around the monastery).

But Ladislava dies offscreen. Her death is quickly reported by Randolph as he dies, and is never referenced again by anyone. All they would have to do is removed that part of his line, record a couple of monastery lines for her for the last chapters, and a couple of supports. No more work than adding Jeritza was, or adding Fleche would be.