What’s your least favorite Smash argument?

Perkilator

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't include trading when I say the main game, as that's going outside the game's world and collecting a Pokémon from a different game. The whole premise of the main-series Pokémon games is that you start by picking 1 of 3 starter Pokémon and, once you've picked, that's it; no way to get the other two without trading with other players.

I know that's what you meant when you said "main game," and I'm saying that doesn't matter. The whole premise of Pokemon is that there's a world full of these creatures and you're tasked with collecting every single one of them; this is literally what you are told to do at the start of the game by the man who gives you your first Pokemon. Meanwhile, in Three Houses, you are forced to kill the sides you didn't pick. There's a huge difference.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Florete said:

I know that's what you meant when you said "main game," and I'm saying that doesn't matter. The whole premise of Pokemon is that there's a world full of these creatures and you're tasked with collecting every single one of them; this is literally what you are told to do at the start of the game by the man who gives you your first Pokemon. Meanwhile, in Three Houses, you are forced to kill the sides you didn't pick. There's a huge difference.

And the premise of Pokémon is that the Pokémon with the superior type to the Pokémon you picked gets picked by your main rival and. as a result, you are forced to fight at least one of the Pokémon you didn't pick. Putting aside, "Gotta catch 'em all" and focusing on the main game, they are very similar: you build your team, you collect the ones you wish to use, train them, and win battles with them, all while most are available to collect and a select-few are version-exclusive, while the starters/house leaders are mutually exclusive. The only way they could be more alike in this regard would be if Three Houses had been like Fates in terms of available routes. 

Ultimately, a Three Houses Trainer build is perfectly viable and frankly, in my opinion, is the most interesting option. 

6 hours ago, Flere210 said:

It is because you want them to sell you 3 characters at the price of 1. If they were included in the main game it could be a possibility, but in a DLC? No way.

Sure; I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's a fair point; in fact, that's the first good point against a Three Houses Trainer build that I've seen so far. 

All I was trying to say to you earlier is that it seemed like you were just dismissing the people who argue in favour of a Three Houses Trainer build. In my opinion, generally, the moment someone resorts to dismissing the people they're arguing against, that person has lost the argument. Thanks for the clarification. 

I disagree that the fandom would riot though; people complain about the number of FE characters, but what I've noticed is that, usually, they're really complaining about the lack of variety. Of the seven characters; four have movesets based on Marth (including Marth himself obviously). Only three are different, and even those three are all swordsmen. If Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude were added as a Three Houses Trainer with Byleth being in the background and not actually fighting, we'd have: an axe-wielder with dark magic, a spear-wielder, and an archer with a pet wyvern and a bag of tricks. Those are all relatively brand-new. 

7 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

I really wish they would've added someone like Hector or Ephraim.

Who would just be Ike with an axe and Marth with a lance.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I don't really care about the main discussion anymore but I do want to point out:

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

@lightcosmo Yellow is the exception, not the rule.

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

As for Three Houses, thanks for mentioning the prologue; yet another way to contextualize a PT-like Byleth setup. But it doesn't need that strong of contextualization since this is Smash Bros.

It's rather baffling that these came one after the other. You don't get to say Yellow doesn't count because it's different (it's an official commercial release), then say you can use the Prologue in Three Houses to justify your Byleth Trainer.

20 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Who would just be Ike with an axe and Marth with a lance.

"Rosalina would just be a Peach clone."

"Shulk would just be a cross between Ike and Marth."

"Bowser Jr. would just be a Bowser clone."

"Cloud would just be an Ike clone."

"Bayonetta would just be a Zero Suit Samus clone."

"King K. Rool would just be a Bowser clone."

All arguments once used, all just as dumb as yours. Actually, the idea that Ephraim would be "Marth with a lance" is even dumber.

Oh boy, get a load of this post by another user on Smashboards:

"Other bosses aren't necessary other than Master Hand, Crazy Hand, honestly. Or Giga Bowser. The rest are very rehashed."

And their reasoning was because the bosses other than these three aren't Smash originals.

I wish I was making this up. Again, this user's words, not mine.

Edited by Perkilator

1 hour ago, Florete said:

All arguments once used, all just as dumb as yours. Actually, the idea that Ephraim would be "Marth with a lance" is even dumber.

You know, there's no need to be so passive-aggressive. I don't care for you either, but at least I can talk to you with a modicum of respect.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You know, there's no need to be so passive-aggressive. I don't care for you either, but at least I can talk to you with a modicum of respect.

You dont have much room to say that, considering how rude/negative you are towards everyone. Your definition of respect seems to be have a bad attitude towards people's wishes by shooting them down just because you dont like them. So I dont think you should judge someone else, honestly.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, Perkilator said:

Oh boy, get a load of this post by another user on Smashboards:

"Other bosses aren't necessary other than Master Hand, Crazy Hand, honestly. Or Giga Bowser. The rest are very rehashed."

And their reasoning was because the bosses other than these three aren't Smash originals.

I wish I was making this up. Again, this user's words, not mine.

Did they forget Galleom, Duon, Tabuu, Master Core, Galeem and Dharkon?

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Did they forget Galleom, Duon, Tabuu, Master Core, Galeem and Dharkon?

I don’t think they really care. I think they meant “original” as in ones who have been in Smash since the early titles.

The argument that swords are an unfair tool is dumb. In smash ultimate, hitbox wise. Most first characters have far more outrageous hitboxes than sword characters. Besides, Link has had a sword since smash 64, and has been terrible... since smash 64.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:51 PM, lightcosmo said:

The argument that swords are an unfair tool is dumb. In smash ultimate, hitbox wise. Most first characters have far more outrageous hitboxes than sword characters. Besides, Link has had a sword since smash 64, and has been terrible... since smash 64.

He was pretty good in Melee. When will they stop nerfing him? Other than that, I agree completely. To add to it, Young Link and Toon Link are both swordsmen, and their hitboxes are pitifully small. 

Another argument I dislike is that Link needed to be right-handed in Ultimate because he's right-handed in BOTW. Nintendo needs to give me my left-handed Link back! He's the only left-handed hero people know about, and they need to stop making him right-handed for no good reason!

• Wii Version of Twilight Princess: "Motion Controls" What? You mean the shaking the wrist a little to make Link swing his sword? The movement of the wii remote doesn't translate into the movement of his sword at all, so it wouldn't matter which hand it is!
  • Skyward Sword: "Motion Controls" I agree that right-handed people should have a right-handed Link in a motion-control heavy game, for the exact same reason left-handed people should have a left-handed Link in a motion-control heavy game; there should've been an "are you left-handed or right-handed?" prompt when the player selected a new file, especially since Skyward Sword had  a five-year development time. What was that time used for? It certainly wasn't for the world or levels; the game reuses the same three areas over and over again with no connectivity between them. 
  • Breath of the Wild: "..." Well; I suppose that's not entirely fair; they did give an excuse: "The attack button's on the right side of the controller" What?! You mean how it's always been? It wasn't a problem for A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, the Oracles games, Wind Waker, the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, etc. The attack button has always been on the right-hand side of the control, but you still made Link left-handed. That is the most-pitiful excuse I ever heard in my life! That's more pitiful an excuse than, "Well, Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet"! That's so pitiful, I'm betting it's an excuse you came up with after-the-fact, and not the actual reason!
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "He was right-handed in Breath of the Wild, so we made him right-handed here" If that's the reason, then that's stupid: you didn't do that for Brawl, when Link was based on his Twilight Princess version, and you didn't do that for Smash Bros. 4, when Link was based on his Skyward Sword version. Why now; all of a sudden? Also, he had no good reason to be right-handed in Breath of the Wild, so there's no good reason to carry over that right-handedness to Smash Bros. 
Edited by vanguard333

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

He was pretty good in Melee. When will they stop nerfing him? Other than that, I agree completely. To add to it, Young Link and Toon Link are both swordsmen, and their hitboxes are pitifully small. 

Another argument I dislike is that Link needed to be right-handed in Ultimate because he's right-handed in BOTW. Nintendo needs to give me my left-handed Link back! He's the only left-handed hero people know about, and they need to stop making him right-handed for no good reason!

• Wii Version of Twilight Princess: "Motion Controls" What? You mean the shaking the wrist a little to make Link swing his sword? The movement of the wii remote doesn't translate into the movement of his sword at all, so it wouldn't matter which hand it is!
  • Skyward Sword: "Motion Controls" I agree that right-handed people should have a right-handed Link in a motion-control heavy game, for the exact same reason left-handed people should have a left-handed Link in a motion-control heavy game; there should've been an "are you left-handed or right-handed?" prompt when the player selected a new file, especially since Skyward Sword had  a five-year development time. What was that time used for? It certainly wasn't for the world or levels; the game reuses the same three areas over and over again with no connectivity between them. 
  • Breath of the Wild: "..." Well; I suppose that's not entirely fair; they did give an excuse: "The attack button's on the right side of the controller" What?! You mean how it's always been? It wasn't a problem for A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, the Oracles games, Wind Waker, the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, etc. The attack button has always been on the right-hand side of the control, but you still made Link left-handed. That is the most-pitiful excuse I ever heard in my life! That's more pitiful an excuse than, "Well, Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet"! That's so pitiful, I'm betting it's an excuse you came up with after-the-fact, and not the actual reason!
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "He was right-handed in Breath of the Wild, so we made him right-handed here" If that's the reason, then that's stupid: you didn't do that for Brawl, when Link was based on his Twilight Princess version, and you didn't do that for Smash Bros. 4, when Link was based on his Skyward Sword version. Why now; all of a sudden? Also, he had no good reason to be right-handed in Breath of the Wild, so there's no good reason to carry over that right-handedness to Smash Bros. 

Link is terrible in Melee, generally E tier and below is not very good, I wouldn't think.
It's just annoying to hear people whine about sword range when it's not even the issue most of the time.

Now when people complain about them being "fast", now that's understandable. Smash Ultimate is very rushdown/speed bias In terms of gameplay, but again, that has nothing to do with a sword at all.

Some dude on a Smash discord server actually tried to tell me Dante from Devil May Cry would be a shitty pick because "Devil May Cry has had no impact on gaming".

image.png.d2ae4898dc4e5d1f3c5bab661fc39e82.png

I'm sorry, what? If Devil May Cry had no impact on gaming, then why are God of War and Bayonetta a thing?

Edited by Roland

• 3 weeks later...

"I am pretty sure Sakurai might not going to be adding a Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since we don't have any single Gen. 8 Pokemon as a Pokeball Pokemon in Ultimate. Also, I think Sakurai might not add a third 3rd Party franchise reps in Ultimate yet since we don't have a single third 3rd Party franchise rep in Ultimate main roster nor the first Fighter Pass Vol. 1, I would maybe think Sakurai will might not include Sora and Arle Nadja in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 and maybe go with a rep for a second Namco franchise and possibly add a rep for a second Atlus, Microsoft, or SNK franchise since we have Hero (rep for a second Square Enix franchise character) and Bayonetta (rep for a second Sega franchise character) in Ultimate already."

This was in the Ultimate General Discussion thread. I don't normally like to tattle, but...did someone ACTUALLY type up their belief that we wouldn't get a Gen 8 Pokémon on account of the lack of a thereof Poké Ball Pokémon?

On 1/13/2020 at 9:22 PM, Roland said:

Some dude on a Smash discord server actually tried to tell me Dante from Devil May Cry would be a shitty pick because "Devil May Cry has had no impact on gaming".

image.png.d2ae4898dc4e5d1f3c5bab661fc39e82.png

I'm sorry, what? If Devil May Cry had no impact on gaming, then why are God of War and Bayonetta a thing?

That's doubly funny considering Banjo represents a franchise that is dead... in a genre that is almost dead, except for Mario and some indie games.

I wouldn't say that it's dead, more like it never really lived. I don't remember a time period where 3d platformer where a big thing  after the n64 era. We are better of now than we where the past generation, and by far. 

13 hours ago, Perkilator said:

This was in the Ultimate General Discussion thread. I don't normally like to tattle, but...did someone ACTUALLY type up their belief that we wouldn't get a Gen 8 Pokémon on account of the lack of a thereof Poké Ball Pokémon?

If anything the lack of gen 8 content means we are more likely to have it. Like we got no FE3H content because sword guy number 8 got in. 

People try to argue Lucina is a "skill less" character because of lack of sweet/sour spots on attacks. When you look at it, this is a thing for a lot of characters, so why is it different here? Of course, this could just be the Marth players whining that he isn't top tier in this game, or they are people who like Marth and despise Lucina. Skill less just isn't the right word, since i'm not sure there is such a thing in Smash.

54 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

If anything the lack of gen 8 content means we are more likely to have it. Like we got no FE3H content because sword guy number 8 got in. 

Whether or not you like Gen 8 (not trying to argue for either point), we can't necessarily count out a potential rep just yet.

26 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Whether or not you like Gen 8 (not trying to argue for either point), we can't necessarily count out a potential rep just yet.

I clarify myself. We have no spirit or other content of gen 8. So, if we follow the "spirit deconfirm" theory, then it's very likely that a gen 8 pokemon is alreay planned in the DLC and the gen 8 content was whithold on purpose.

8 hours ago, Flere210 said:

We have no spirit or other content of gen 8.

Except we've already had some Gen 8 content in the form of spirits (Morpeko, Zacian & Zamazenta, Grookey, Scorbunny & Sobble and Corviknight).

Edited by NinjaMonkey