What’s your least favorite Smash argument?

Perkilator

15 hours ago, Etheus said:

That's doubly funny considering Banjo represents a franchise that is dead...

Until the Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie HD remaster comes out, anyway. After the success of CNST and SRT, not to mention the fanfare that B&K received when they returned in Smash, Microsoft would be insane not to do HD remasters for BK and BT. Or hey, maybe a miracle will happen and Microsoft will sell BK to Nintendo, allowing Nintendo to do a BK&THDR.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Until the Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie HD remaster comes out, anyway. After the success of CNST and SRT, not to mention the fanfare that B&K received when they returned in Smash, Microsoft would be insane not to do HD remasters for BK and BT. Or hey, maybe a miracle will happen and Microsoft will sell BK to Nintendo, allowing Nintendo to do a BK&THDR.

Microsoft and insanity go together pretty well. I mean, they are the ones who bought Rare, only to have them do precisely none of the things that made them worth buying in the first place.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Microsoft and insanity go together pretty well. I mean, they are the ones who bought Rare, only to have them do precisely none of the things that made them worth buying in the first place.

Yep. That's the reason a whole bunch of people left Rare and made Playtonic Games. Seriously; aside from one person, Playtonic Games consists entirely of people who used to work at Rare, and it shows: in their game, Yooka-Laylee, it's obvious that their extreme dislike of Microsoft and how much they and their coworkers suffered under Microsoft seeped into the game:

• The main bad guy's the evil Hivory Towers Corporation led by Capital B, but he's subservient to the V.I.L.E. Board Members led by the company's chairman of the board. Pretty obvious jab at Microsoft and how controlling they are. 
  • Throughout each world, there are creatures called Ghost Writers that created the book worlds that you enter throughout the game, and they're cursed to endlessly wander their creations unless saved. 
  • The promotional material for the game contained a lot of jabs at Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts: a game which, according to the developers, was created solely because a Microsoft executive said that 3D-Platformers are dead and wanted something different. Hm...
  • There's a character called Rextro who makes a lot of old-fashioned games. When the heroes try to bring him up to speed on modern gaming conventions, he'll note that his notes on modern game design suggest replacing the in-game tokens with paying real-world money. The heroes immediately shoot the idea down. 
  • There's a recurring type of minion in the game called Inept: it is a cross-eyed robot that looks suspiciously similar to a Kinect (see below; it's uncanny). It shoots lasers out of its eyes if you get near it, but it has such poor tracking that you practically have to be standing still for it to hit you. There's even a boss version called I.N.E.P.T that you fight on a cart level. It states that it has to destroy all six of you (there's only three people: Yooka, Laylee and Kartos). When Yooka asks, "Us... Six?" I.N.E.P.T responds, "Ur... Un-blur yourselves!"
Spoiler

Inept:

Image result for yooka laylee inept

I.N.E.P.T:

Kinect:

Image result for kinect

I personally find all the jabs at Microsoft hilarious, as do most people who have played the game; even those who were most vocally critical towards the game. 

Edited by vanguard333

• 1 month later...

One argument I very much dislike is that Edelgard wouldn't have been a good standalone Three Houses rep because it shows "favoritism" to one of the houses over the others.

It's complete BS because:

Spoiler

Edelgard isn't just a house leader. She is the story's main actor, the source of the main conflict, and arguably the main antagonist of the game. Being able to choose to support her in one route out of 4 is only icing on the cake.

Edelgard IS Three Houses. She is the game's heart and soul. She even owns the game's bloody theme song, ffs.

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

One argument I very much dislike is that Edelgard wouldn't have been a good standalone Three Houses rep because it shows "favoritism" to one of the houses over the others.

Hide contents

Edelgard isn't just a house leader. She is the story's main actor, the source of the main conflict, and arguably the main antagonist of the game. Being able to choose to support her in one route out of 4 is only icing on the cake.

Edelgard IS Three Houses. She is the game's heart and soul. She even owns the game's bloody theme song, ffs.

On top of it despite a large cast fire emblem lack entirely villains, despite pretty much any other franchise that have 3+ characters having at least one. 

On 3/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, Etheus said:

Reveal hidden contents

I completely agree. It should’ve been Edelgard. If I get Byleth, I’ll only play using the Edelgard colour palette. And that’s if I get Byleth; do I have to get Byleth to get the Garreg Mac Monastery stage?

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I completely agree. It should’ve been Edelgard. If I get Byleth, I’ll only play using the Edelgard colour palette. And that’s if I get Byleth; do I have to get Byleth to get the Garreg Mac Monastery stage?

Yes, because Garreg Mach comes with Byleth

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

Yes, because Garreg Mach comes with Byleth

…Drat. Oh, well. I guess I'm getting Byleth then.

But seriously, I agree with Etheus that Edelgard basically is Three Houses. Not only is she one of the most active characters in the story, with almost everyone else more-or-less responding to her and her actions, but where Fates' theme song was all about Corrin, Edge of Dawn is about Edelgard. It wouldn't have been house favouritism because Edelgard is one of the main driving forces in all the routes.

Plus, even if it were house-favouritism, it would be towards the house that got shafted the most during the game's development (four fewer chapters than any other route). 

"Fox is good so Smash 4 Cloud/Bayo are fine"

I always hated this argument. Fox players have to train for months to get good with this fast-paced, fragile, highly-technical character. When you're fighting Bayonetta, your skill as a player doesn't matter. And when you're fighting Cloud, your opponent's lack of skill doesn't matter. These characters were more overcentralizing than Meta Knight and if those two characters had rightfully been banned, the final Smash 4 tournaments would have been a lot more fun.

Also, "Mods are immoral". Get that nonsense out of my face, mods allow fans to contribute to their game and fanbase by giving them more gameplay to experience. Ever wanted to play a modded version of Melee where Jiggs is removed and low-tier characters get random buffs? Me and the boys play that every so often, we'll make gameplay vids when it's done. Mods are the only reason why anyone still plays Brawl (Project M) and soon, mods will make Ultimate even better.

58 minutes ago, Jason-SilverStarApple said:

Also, "Mods are immoral". 

Immoral? Never heard anything like that. Which is the argument?

Personally i have no problem whit mods as long as they are treated like the fanfictions(eich i M using as a description, not in a negative light) they are. There is legit people out there that think that skyrim is good because you can install half a dozen mod. If that's the case, Skyrim is bad and the mods are good.

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Immoral? Never heard anything like that. Which is the argument?

Personally i have no problem whit mods as long as they are treated like the fanfictions(eich i M using as a description, not in a negative light) they are. There is legit people out there that think that skyrim is good because you can install half a dozen mod. If that's the case, Skyrim is bad and the mods are good.

You're right. Some people say "Skyrim's combat is good because you can use mods to make it however you want", and they're wrong. One, Skyrim has an incredibly limited mod engine. And two, if you have to correct every spelling mistake in a book, that doesn't make the resulting corrected book good, it just means the writers and publishers cared less than whoever fixed it. And knew less than whoever fixed it, too.

Some people like to yell "Modding is immoral! It's disrespectful to the original developers and their vision! You're ruining art by painting over it!", and they're wrong. I've got over 80 mods to make Skyrim playable, but I just have 30 mods on Fallout New Vegas. Sprinting, placeable campsites/campfires, extra guns, a VATS-replacing Time Slow mod, something to make Caesar's Legion stronger, and an Alternate Start so I can skip the Doc Mitchell talking and get right into things.

Not all mods exist to change things in the game. Some mods add new things. New characters, new modes... I can play as Vergil in DMCV thanks to mods! I don't have to wait for the PS5 to come out, then wait for Capcom to release a DMCV Special Edition with Lady, Trish, and Vergil playable. Mods for Fallout 4 and NV add new weapons into the game, along with changeable ammo types and tactical well-designed attachments that are more than just "Stock level four: Comfort Grip, increases accuracy more than stock level three". Mods breathe new life into a game and allow fans to contribute to the game and its community positively.

There are mods for Fallout 4 that add Evil Route options, alternate ways to complete quests, Pacifist Route options, and a way to talk Kellog down, even a way to get peace between all factions without anyone having to die.

Fallout NV doesn't have that because it already has almost all of these things. There's a mod that adds the ability to secure a lasting peace between Brotherhood Of Steel and House, but I never used it because the Brotherhood sucks.

When I play Project M, I'm playing the great game Brawl could have been if Mashpotato Samurai didn't think a balanced game is one where a skilled pro and unskilled newbie have an equal chance of winning.

When I play Fallout: New California, I'm playing a completely new game made in the Fallout NV Engine.

Edited by Jason-SilverStarApple

• 2 months later...