A Consistent Strategy for Chapter 13 in Azure Moon

Requirements:

- Byleth must have must certify as a Fortress Knight (B Axes and C Armor for 34% chance of passing). Needs to also have 6 movement and the Rushing Blow Combat Art (C Brawling) equipped. 

- Ashe must have a Steel Shield, an Iron Lance +, a Training Axe, and a Iron Bow + in his inventory as well as a Stride Battalion equipped.

- Dimitri must have Authority Skill Level 4 and Model Leader Equipped, a Steel Shield, and a 1-2 Range Weapon. Lance Breaker and an Accuracy Ring are also recommended. 

- Dedue and Felix's Paralogue must be completed, and the Aegis Shield must be obtained.

- A Giant Shell must be obtained. Easiest one to get is located in the North chest of Chapter 8.

------------

Explanation:
The goal of this strategy is to have a durable Byleth tank most enemies hits with the hopes of taking little to no damage from as many enemies as possible. 

To this end, Byleth must certify as a Fortress Knight, as doing so bumps up their defense to a base 17 Defense before class modifiers. So as something such as an Enlightened One, they'll have 19 Defense without having to rely on any Defense Level ups at all. 

To further increase their Defense, you should then equip the Aegis Shield and Duscar Heavy Soldiers Battalion. At max level the Battalion will provide +10 Defense, which with the shield will give 35 base Defense as a Enlightened one, making Byleth more durable than Gilbert.

Adding on the Giant Shell and Forest terrain will make Byleth become immune from damage from most enemies in the map, only taking damage from Assassins and Snipers.

Here's some actual proof this in actual play: https://imgur.com/a/EccEin9

------------
The Strategy:
The main goal of this strategy is to aggro and defeat groups of enemies before they can cause other groups of enemies to trigger and start moving out to attack Annette, Mercedes, or Ashe.

To start with, Byleth must use Rushing Blow on the Mercenary towards the North of their starting positioning while Dimitri must move into the Forest at the starting position. This will avoid drawing in the Sniper in the Center in particular, who if moves will cause the other enemies to do the same. It should look something like this: https://imgur.com/a/kiG96Hp

On the Second turn Byleth must equip the Sword of the Creator and Gambit the Sniper to stop them from attacking out of range. A Grappler will also start to move out where Dimitri is and will attack him, but he should be able dodge at least one attack and survive. Equipping a strong weapon also may have him decide to gambit rather than attack normally: https://imgur.com/a/wkSBQ2J

On the Third turn, Ashe and Gilbert will show up near Byleth while Mercedes and Annette will show up near the South. So long as you don't move the south group into range, the enemies will not rush towards them. 

Make Ashe trade all the items in his inventory to Gilbert and have Gilbert take out the Sniper if not already disposed of. Dimitri then use Wave Attack on the Grappler and should also be prepared to take on a Thief and Archer with a Blessed Bow headed his way. https://imgur.com/a/TmTvOP9

The next turn will have Ashe Stride Byleth and Byleth attacking the Sniper with Rushing Blow to make the Assassin and Thief go for them over Mercedes and Annette. Gilbert should go near the entrance to where Dimitri is and act as bait for the Sniper: https://imgur.com/a/hJmXYkk

Have Gilbert and Dimitri take out the Sniper and act as a bait for the Assassin and Grappler near Byleth, while having Byleth Rushing blow the enemy south of him to ensure that a Thief doesn't go for Annette and Mercedes: https://imgur.com/a/FYGfSUg

Finally, move Gilbert and attack the Grappler with the Iron Bow leaving Dimitri to finish him off with a Wave Attack and finish off the Assassin on enemy phase.

------------
And that's it. At that point you can get access to Ingrid, Sylvain, and Felix from the East and can take the rest of the chapter at your leisure.

There are multiple things you can do to improve this strategy, such as making Mercedes and Annette Fliers to not have to worry about them or having Dimitri be more aggressive with his wave attacks, but I wanted a clear that didn't rely too heavily on those factors in case one didn't want to invest in those unit's too heavily. 

Thoughts? Problems? Potential Improvements? I'm open to criticism. 
Edited by LoneRecon400

It's neat that you found a strategy that worked for you, but I think the requirements are bit too specific to be broadly helpful. Requiring Byleth certify as a fortress knight AND learn a certain unrelated combat art is harsh - players will need to have built Byleth with this in mind, and there may be many reasons why they won't (they'd rather raise other ranks for recruitments, or just want to build Byleth a different way, or just generally will be looking for a guide for Chapter 13 after getting stuck there, too late to change their build).

One low investment strat similar to this I've seen is to unlock Byleth's White magic avo budding talent and try to nostank in the forest there. Slapping on faith prowess for good measure can help too for some more avoid, but HP+5 will probably make the same amount of difference while also still remaining effective when you swap back to any other type of weapon. Byleth will survive for a good number of turns, but good gambits to lock down those enemies are the biggest key to survival I feel. 

28 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's neat that you found a strategy that worked for you, but I think the requirements are bit too specific to be broadly helpful. Requiring Byleth certify as a fortress knight AND learn a certain unrelated combat art is harsh - players will need to have built Byleth with this in mind, and there may be many reasons why they won't (they'd rather raise other ranks for recruitments, or just want to build Byleth a different way, or just generally will be looking for a guide for Chapter 13 after getting stuck there, too late to change their build).

The requirments aren't that harsh. It only takes 15 sessions of Faculty Training to pick up C Armor and the Brawling skill only requires 8 sessions. Considering that you can hit A Professor Rank and have 9 Activity Points by Chapter 9, it's not too demanding to reach. 

B axes is admittedly quite more of an investment, but is already required for Wyvern Rider anyways. So most people should have an easy enough time achieving the requirements if they plan for it ahead of time.

Besides, having Byleth hit some skill ranks is a lot less investment than say getting a unit like Ashe to contribute in that chapter. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

16 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

One low investment strat similar to this I've seen is to unlock Byleth's White magic avo budding talent and try to nostank in the forest there. Slapping on faith prowess for good measure can help too for some more avoid, but HP+5 will probably make the same amount of difference while also still remaining effective when you swap back to any other type of weapon. Byleth will survive for a good number of turns, but good gambits to lock down those enemies are the biggest key to survival I feel. 

Issue with that  is a lot of things that make dodgetanking work simply aren't available in that chapter. The Evade Ring and Adjutants, for example, aren't equip able in that Chapter which put you down +17 avoid. That's rather concerning when you most likely can't reach over a 100 avoid even with terrain to consistent dodge enemy attacks.

Even disregarding Nosferatu being a 1 might spell and their being no Magic Battalions that raise Avoid to a significant amount, it's also limited to 12 uses. That is not enough to last through the onslaught of enemies. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

3 hours ago, LoneRecon400 said:

The requirments aren't that harsh. It only takes 15 sessions of Faculty Training to pick up C Armor and the Brawling skill only requires 8 sessions. Considering that you can hit A Professor Rank and have 9 Activity Points by Chapter 9, it's not too demanding to reach. 

B axes is admittedly quite more of an investment, but is already required for Wyvern Rider anyways. So most people should have an easy enough time achieving the requirements if they plan for it ahead of time.

Besides, having Byleth hit some skill ranks is a lot less investment than say getting a unit like Ashe to contribute in that chapter. 

23 faculty training sessions (which do not contribute one bit towards raising professor rank; I'm highly skeptical you'll be A in Chapter 9 without massive fishing grinding) on top of all the other faculty training sessions for just getting into classes, raising authority rank, etc., is a fairly significant ask. Regardless, at the risk of repeating myself, I think we should be able to come up with a strategy for Azure Moon Chapter 13 which doesn't have such stringent specific demands, because people who would actually want such a guide likely won't have done these things.

The enemies don't charge Ashe so him contributing isn't essential to clearing the map; I know I left him and Gilbert in the corner on my run.

EDIT: Regarding dodge-tanking, it's quite possible to have an Evasion Ring in that chapter, though it does involve stealing from Claude so of course I wouldn't assume it.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

23 faculty training sessions (which do not contribute one bit towards raising professor rank; I'm highly skeptical you'll be A in Chapter 9 without massive fishing grinding) on top of all the other faculty training sessions for just getting into classes, raising authority rank, etc., is a fairly significant ask. Regardless, at the risk of repeating myself, I think we should be able to come up with a strategy for Azure Moon Chapter 13 which doesn't have such stringent specific demands, because people who would actually want such a guide likely won't have done these things.

The enemies don't charge Ashe so him contributing isn't essential to clearing the map; I know I left him and Gilbert in the corner on my run.

EDIT: Regarding dodge-tanking, it's quite possible to have an Evasion Ring in that chapter, though it does involve stealing from Claude so of course I wouldn't assume it.

Since this strat doesn't involve early Fortress Knight, Byleth could probably put off most tutoring until ch8 when he gets A+ prof rank. Not sure what kind of benchmark you're trying to hit by faculty training Authority, but I've never needed it.

Universal strategies aren't really a thing this late into the game because there's so many unforeseen factors. Some of the more common strategies are feeding Byleth enough str boosters to OHKO with SCS + Swordfaire class, and using a flying Byleth (plus Claude if VW) to 1v3 the Thief, Sniper, and Brawler to the south, then baiting individual enemy groups. Even still, these strats require at least some preparation.

For something simpler I gave Dimitri an evasion ring and make sure he has swordbreaker,+1 movement, lance prowless, and model leader. If your Dimitri is strong enough he should be able to walk into the forest and face pretty much face hit rates in the single digits. If you end up getting hit by a gambit. You can use a elixir or concoction. The rattled effect will wear off once you use a healing item.

For Ashe, give him a silver shield and an iron lance to give to Gilbert. Gilbert should have enough defense to only take 3-4 damage from everything that isn't the assassins. 

The bottom side this one is weird as my strat when I did this was my Annette was a wyvern rider so Mercedes got the thrysus staff. Most of the enemies should be away from these two and the only thing to worry is a brawler. With some good trade swapping you can have Annette and Mercedes kill the brawler. If your Annette is a wyvern nothing really changes except you lightning axe the enemy.

Byleth is probably the most problematic part. As builds very wildly. If you have good battalion with avoid, then use it. The battalions of the top right people should be lower priority. Might be best for Byleth to be at the starting area while Dimitri takes care of the middle. 

11 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't see this working for very long, if at all for reasons already stated - unless you're a Bishop, in which case you only have 4 move, you only have 12 uses of Nosferatu. And Nosferatu isn't going to quickly kill enemies with only 1 might unless you fed them a shitton of magic boosters. Also, what are you going to do once you run out of Nosferatu? Have them equip Heal or something and let enemies take free potshots at them?

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Regardless, at the risk of repeating myself, I think we should be able to come up with a strategy for Azure Moon Chapter 13 which doesn't have such stringent specific demands, because people who would actually want such a guide likely won't have done these things.

Then just how would one create a consistent strategy for this chapter without planning ahead like this? 

The benchmark for something as simple as avoid being doubled is way too high for most units to reach without statboosters, let alone something like one rounding or OHKOing. And there's no guarantee that the units that appear early will even be in use or that they'll have the amount investment needed to be useful.

Accounting for the way others play the game just presents too many variables and will make it difficult to determine any type of consistent strategy with how dangerous the enemies are. The requirements for this strategy may be stringent, but they do not require any stat procs or investing in any other units than what is already given to the player. 

4 hours ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

For something simpler I gave Dimitri an evasion ring and make sure he has swordbreaker,+1 movement, lance prowless, and model leader. If your Dimitri is strong enough he should be able to walk into the forest and face pretty much face hit rates in the single digits. 

Having the Evasion Ring by this point means stealing one off of Claude by Chapter 7. That doesn't seem likely considering that you need a thief with 25 Speed to nab it off of him, so I don't think we should include that. 

I also found that Dimtri simply just doesn't have the Avoid to consistently dodge enemies, even with the Terrain and his personal. Most Theives and Mercs have Hit rates in the 20's, with the Brawlers and Grapplers are in the 30's and get 4 chances to hit. https://imgur.com/a/Ny0y03Z

Not to mention that if Dimitri gets hit at any point or just levels HP, he loses the effect of his personal and with it 20 Avoid. Just doesn't seem consistent enough to really succeed most of the time, especially if you didn't raise Annette or Mercedes. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't see this working for very long, if at all for reasons already stated - unless you're a Bishop, in which case you only have 4 move, you only have 12 uses of Nosferatu. And Nosferatu isn't going to quickly kill enemies with only 1 might unless you fed them a shitton of magic boosters. Also, what are you going to do once you run out of Nosferatu? Have them equip Heal or something and let enemies take free potshots at them?

12 uses of nosferatu = 12 rounds of combat, not counting archers who you can't retaliate against. If you take that forest that looks like a penis, the enemies line up single file for gambits which helps your own reinforcements survive near the onslaught as you spam gambits to lock everybody down. It's about five rounds worth of nos uses. I like to End the first turn so that my reinforcements have more time to show up. That's one less round where your first two have to survive, and Blue Lions and Silver Snow has your physic healer in range, unlike Golden Deer. I don't really know where the best spot for Dimitri is or how much punishment he could withstand. Whoever tanks ought to have your best shield since getting doubled is a given (maybe even the Aegis Shield from Felix's paralogue? How easy is it to keep all the villagers alive on maddening?).

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

If you take that forest that looks like a penis, the enemies line up single file for gambits which helps your own reinforcements survive near the onslaught as you spam gambits to lock everybody down. It's about five rounds worth of nos uses.

Whoever tanks ought to have your best shield since getting doubled is a given (maybe even the Aegis Shield from Felix's paralogue? How easy is it to keep all the villagers alive on maddening?).

When you say forest, do you mean this location? https://imgur.com/a/DFPa3yC 

Because that's a pretty bad spot for Dimitri, as it triggers all the initial enemies to move out since it seems like the Snipers attacking causes all the other enemies to move. They'll also be a lot more spread out so Dimitri won't be able to capitalize on Wave Attack as much and can easily be taken out by the Snipers since they typically double him. 

Waiting for a turn for the reinforcements to show up will also make the enemies more inclined to go after your other allies in groups since they're closer to them than Byleth and Dimitri.

Felix's Paralogue is also easy enough to clear in one turn with any base Wyvern and a Dancer. All you have to do is use stride and dance to get the Wyvern to the boss and use the Assembly Gambit on them. The boss will then attack them on Enemy Phase before anyone else and will be easily disposed of on a counter, saving all the villagers without much hassle. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

This is a pretty neat strategy, but the actual strat for every AM map is to KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. or whatever Dimitri says.

The strat doesn't seem bad but i feel it would actually be better to keep Byleth in Fortress Knight for an extra 10 defence on top of that from the Fortress Knight Modifier. 48 Defence over 38 is enough to take no damage from any non mage enemy on the map. (are there enemy mages in chapter 13?) You will only be hampered by Poison Strike from the Archers and Battalions, But Byleth has insane Charm anyway so the hit rate from enemy gambits won't be all that high. It does lower his Movement but if you have Reposition on Dimitri and Ashe, or the boots from Ashes Paralouge he can easily have enough move to save Mercedes and Annete and then solo the rest of the map while the rest of your squad sits in a corner and Dimitri kills any stragglers who go towards them.

Don't know if this works for AM but in VW i had Claude repo Byleth to the Bottom Left over the wall allowing for a better defensive position, i assume in AM you could have Wyvern/Peg Byleth with Repo and carry Dimitri over.

It's a nice strategy, but I'm not sure how doable it is for most people, or if it's worth leveling all those classes in the long run. 34% to get the Fortress Knight is on the low side, and some people may not be lucky enough with the certification tests and the faculty training to get to those levels on time. Plus, putting Byleth as a Fortress Knight for the sake of one chapter isn't fully optimizing them to their full potential.

However I will say this is a clever strategy and if it works for you with fabulous results, then I say go for it. Luckily the AM students are bulky enough to do this for the most part.