I’m Scared

Hectorcopter

Flying by plane is very safe and I've flown relatively often already (longest flight was 14 hours or so). Still, the takeoff always feels weird to me. Like my stomach makes a flip or two. But that's no reason to stay nervous. It's over in a minute and afterwards it'll feel like you're still on the ground.

Whelp ! Better you than me ! 😛
Real talk, I feel bad for you.

One thing you could do is sleep during the fly.
I've heard that in some country, some people who are too stressed in airplane are allowed to go to the cockpit to reassure them, but eeeh...

I have flown many times in my life. It has never scared me.

The flight and its crew will make instructions very clear. If you're able to sleep through it, do so. If not, bring something to keep yourself occupied. A book, a game, etc. If you have a window seat, feel free to open or close the window at your own discretion.

Anything else in particular you're worried about?

Relax man, flying is a breeze, you gotta chill, sit back, sip some cool soda, or water, take a losendge or gummy, and prep for the chilliest hours of your life

I cannot really offer much in terms of overcoming the fear of flying. I have been on long distance flights since I was a wee baby, so I do not think I ever felt fear.

However, I can offer some tips in terms of comfort.

- I recommend a light fast for a day or two before your flight. Not worrying about shitting is a huge convenience, and since it is your first time flying, it can save you from puking a huge mess. If you are having the munchies but you are not actually hungry, control are resist your urge to eat! If you really must eat, I recommend something light like fruits and vegetables. Obviously, if you are feeling hungry or light headed, then eat normally until you are feeling comfortable; the point is to be comfortable, not miserable! Once you are on the plane though, go ahead and eat as much you want, since it takes a while for food to pass through your digestive system; however, since it is your first time flying, you still might want to limit your food intake until you know how your body reacts to the plane taking off and landing.

- By the same token, avoid drinking too much water a few hours before your flight. If you are feeling thirsty, though, then drink some water. Just remember to not drink too much. Needing to go potty at the most inconvenient time can be annoying or down right painful at the most inconvenient time. Once you are on the plane, you should still watch how much you drink, since depending on how packed your flight is, you may need to stand in line and wait to use the bathroom. Unlike food, liquid passes through your body pretty quickly, so I recommend staying hydrated just barely enough where you are not feeling thirsty.

- Once you are on the plane, if you feel like you have even a slight urge to pee, go pee immediately. There might be a line, or there might not. If there is a line and you wait until the last second to pee, you are going to wet your pants.

- Do not be shy about asking people to get up from their seat so you get out of your seat. Poke them awake if you have to. I am pretty sure most people would rather get up from their seat than to endure the smell of you pissing your pants for the rest of the flight.

- If you are really shy about poking people, or if you really just want the best convenience, book the aisle seat.

- If there is an option and you can afford to, pick the economy plus class; having extra leg room helps a lot in reducing discomfort, especially if you are a tall person. If you are on the short side though, you will probably be fine with regular economy.

- I recommend buying noise cancelling headphones if you can afford to. It goes a long way in providing extra comfort. Loud engine noises in conjunction with cramped seating do not make for a pleasant sleeping experience. I can sleep through the noise and discomfort, but many people difficulty doing so.

- Bring your Switch, 3DS, books, crossword puzzles, or whatever else to keep your mind occupied.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

However, I can offer some tips in terms of comfort.

Ok now this makes me downright terrified. I already have noise cancellers, but other than that, I can’t really do much. I’m not an adult like a lot of the users on here are. I have little control over what I can do. Plus the flight is TODAY.

Also knowing me I’ll have to use the bathroom or be in general discomfort and stress WHYYYYYY

2 minutes ago, Hectorcopter said:

Ok now this makes me downright terrified. I already have noise cancellers, but other than that, I can’t really do much. I’m not an adult like a lot of the users on here are. I have little control over what I can do. Plus the flight is TODAY.

If you are still a kid, depending on how tall or short you are, then I think you generally do not have to worry about the seat being cramped. Getting extra legroom is the only thing on the list other than the noise cancelling headphones that requires money.

Getting an aisle seat requires you to be an adult too I guess, but I would not worry about it since it is not really that big of a deal to poke a stranger and ask them to get up, and poking strangers does not require you to be an adult. You also have full control over how much you eat or drink. Just go take a dump and shower before you leave so you feel comfortable, and watch how much you drink.

Oh! And a few more tips I forgot:

- Pack light. Unless you are moving, there is no need to bring a suitcase and wait for the baggage train. Cut out the junk and bring only what you need that can fit into one or two backpacks/small suitcases. Two to three sets of clothes, 4 to 5 underwears and pairs of socks, one or two things (Switch, a book, etc.) to relieve boredom, some small accessories like noise cancelling headphones and portable charger, and that should be it and a single backpack should be able to carry all of that. If you really need to carry more stuff like a laptop, that is when you use a second backpack/suitcase.

- Use a fanny pack if you have one. It makes it easier to find things compared to stuffing you travel documents in your pockets. The stuff also would not fall out either.

- Wear comfortable clothing! Skip the skinny jeans and suits; put those clothes in your backpack. If you are the type of person who does not give a fuck, you can wear pajamas too for long distance flights.

The flight was horrible. It got delayed multiple times, I was very stressed, and dad snapped at me for being nervous... and then when I cried out of fear he compared me to my sister, pointing out that she never cried during the trip. I feel like he loves her more than me.

It hasn’t been much better since even though I’m at the vacation home now. I vomited from stress, my throat hasn’t been feeling the best since a million people were coughing at the airport, and the smoke alarm went off for NO REASON.

I want to be back home. I’m in serious mental pain. :’(

You will be okay. Indulge in some candy or whatever comfort food you like. Watch some cat videos or movies.

4 hours ago, Hectorcopter said:

... I’m taking the flight back home in a few hours. I’m scared. Again.

You will be okay. You will back on your bed in your room in no time.