Plot points you predicted (or didn't predict)

Lightchao42

Three Houses has been out for almost half a year now, so here we can reflect on our predictions on the plot (pre-release or post-release) and see how accurate they were.

I'll start with mine (I played Verdant Wind first):

Spoiler

Is Sothis the goddess? Well everyone predicted this so I'm not going to dwell too much on it...

Is the Flame Emperor related to Adrestia/Edelgard? The Flame Emperor is Edelgard, so I assume that counts as being related to her (they do share 100% of their DNA after all). The Golden Deer route has the least about of foreshadowing about their identity so I didn't suspect Edelgard until right before the reveal. Before then I thought the Flame Emperor would die at the end of White Clouds and Edelgard would fight for his ideals during Part II.

Is Rhea Seiros? Yes, she is. I picked up on the foreshadowing (Seiros's remains not being in her tomb, Seiros mentioning her mother in the intro and Rhea telling Byleth that she lost her mother after Jeralt's death), but I wasn't quite sure if Rhea was Seiros or just related to her until the end of Verdant Wind. Somehow I didn't think she was a dragon until the end of White Clouds.

Is the final boss Seiros transformed into a dragon? Yes, on some routes, but not on the route that I played first.

Is Flayn a dragon/Saint Cethleann? Flayn isn't very subtle about being much older than everyone else, so as a Fire Emblem fan the natural assumption is that she's a dragon, but I thought she might be Saint Cethleann who survived into the present. It turns out that she's a dragon and Saint Cethleann. Until their paralogue I assumed that Seteth was unrelated to Flayn and that he adopted her for her protection, but it turned out that he's her dad instead. Likewise, I didn't suspect anything about Seteth being Saint Cichol until that point.

Is Byleth's mother Rhea/related to Rhea? The idea that Rhea is Byleth's mother is dismissed fairly quickly, but Byleth's mother was an artificial human created by Rhea so I think that counts as them being related.

Is Rhea/the Church evil? Everyone thought this, but the answer is only "sort of." Rhea is shady, but you only fight the Church on one route and Rhea is much more complicated than just being an evil religious leader.

Was Nemesis good/demonized by Seiros? No, it turns out he's actually worse than what the Church says of him.

Is Byleth descended from Nemesis? No; even the characters think this at first, but Byleth and Nemesis both have the Crest of Flames for a different reason.

Is Jeralt evil/is he Thales? After Tomas turned out to be Solon and with Monica probably being Kronya, I started suspecting everyone of being secretly evil. Alois's supports with Byleth indicate that something strange is up with Jeralt, so I thought he might secretly be Thales if he's impersonating someone like his subordinates are, but it's disproven when they both showed up at the end of Chapter 9 (and, you know, Jeralt died). Thales does impersonate someone, but it wasn't Jeralt.

Is the final boss of Azure Moon Edelgard? Yes, but I thought she would transform into a giant dragon instead of a more demonic version of her normal self.

Incidentally, I didn't suspecting anything off about Tomas until Sothis called him suspicious. I didn't suspect anything about Jeritza either until the Death Knight showed up, and that's only because I recognized his voice (though I first I thought Patrick Seitz was just double casting). I also had some sort of theory about the Heroes' Relics being made from the goddess's bones, which wasn't quite correct but was close to the truth.

Now it is your turn. Which of your predictions turned out to be hilariously wrong (or hilariously right)?

Edited by Lightchao42

Sothis being a goddess and the relics being made of bones.

Although with the latter, I didn't think this until I saw somebody comment that the Sword of the Creator looked like a dragon's spine.

I remember my most convoluted prediction was that Sothis was not only dead before the events of the game, but that she'd come back Robin style in whatever constituted the "good ending". I just got the S support with her to find I'm like 80% right overall. Because while she does literally "come back", she doesn't suddenly become a real girl. It felt like a hail mary at the time since it seemed reasonable instead to predict Rhea was an adult Sothis and that the Sothis you were communicating with was across time or only in dream sequences/memories.

The only other prediction that comes to mind was the Flame Emperor. It seemed safe to assume it was somebody related to Edelgard, but I don't think it crossed my mind that it would be the actual next in line emperor. Too on the nose with a name like that. I played Golden Deer first, so I didn't get the outrageous clues of her identity in BL and CF. If I had though, my reaction might have just been "oh, they want us to think it's Edelgard, interesting.

Edited by Glennstavos

Spoiler

The fact that Edelgard was the Flame Emperor.  It took a bit, but I started seeing the signs as the Black Eagles was my first playthrough and I noticed Edelgard had what seemed to be a more neutral disposition towards the Flame Emperor.  It became more and more apparent with her attitude in the TWSITD arc, harshly telling Byleth to get over their father's death and all around seeming relatively unfazed by all the abhorrent acts the group commit.  Not to mention she seemed to be the only one adamantly opposed to the status quo of a crest society (at least in a Black Eagles playthrough, where you barely hear Dimitri or Claude talk about it).  I figure if I chose Blue Lions first, I would've picked it up as soon as the "Flame Emperor" dropped a dagger and Dimitri seemed shocked at the sight of the object, not long after Dimitri tells a story about giving Edelgard a dagger as a gift.

To get into more obvious territory, I saw the Tomas = Solon twist pretty much since those two were revealed pre-release.  I think it was because someone at some time pointed out the fact that they look very similar.  Then as soon as Sothis spoke of being suspicious of Tomas, the deal was basically sealed.  I may have predicted Kronya's identity as well, but she was so forgettable that I can't actually remember.

Spoiler

I also subconsciously predicted that the male x male romance would be lackluster.  Apart from any non-Byleth pairs that may or may not exist, all we really had were Byleth x Linhardt and Byleth x Jeritza.

What I didn't predict was the female x female romance would be... okay?  It's not the most amazing stuff I'd seen, but it was a far cry from the Corrin x Rhajat "I stalk you, you stalk me" dumpster fire or the pseudo lesbian that was Soleil (who was somehow handled much worse in Japan, despite the writing otherwise being horribly butchered in the localization).  I thought it'd be terrible, but the only thing unsettling about those supports was staring at Edelgard's derpy face in that CG (or any of the other assorted nose-less faces in the other female x female CGs; males got the better end of that stick, I tell you).

1 minute ago, Sid Starkiller said:

And of course Jeralt's death, but Stevie Wonder could see that coming.

I forgot to mention Jeralt's death.

I'm stealing that line about Stevie Wonder, though.

Honestly I juggled between thinking "Flayn is super young" and "Flayn is super old". Which naturally led me between "Wait, is Rhea Flayn's mom?" and "Wait, is Flayn Rhea's mom?" The Macuil paralogue in GD confirmed their identities. Honestly, I kind of wish the Seteh/Flayn paralogue was post-skip (maybe even SS-exclusive), just because it was annoying how they drop a truth bomb on you there, then go back on it in every other story conversation.

Spoiler

Figured Monika was Kronja early on. They have like the same facial expression. Honestly didn't pick up on Tomas/Solon. I still kind of like Tomas, he's chill. TBH I was hoping "real Tomas" would show up again, but everyone thinks he's Solon, thereby letting Solon act freely. Turns out, he really did have no reason for his villainous exposition, he was just an idiot.

Spoiler

I have predicted all three green hair church characters are actually dragons due to their manner of speech, hiding their ears and experience with previous titles.

what I didn’t predict was Rhea being Seiros.
And truth behind Byleth relation to Rhea was jaw dropping when I first learnt it.

I quickly noticed about Rhea being Seiros, since she hasn't changed basically, and teaches swords and brawling.

Flayn being Cethlean was pretty straightforward, and Seteth being Cichol, once it was revealed that Cichol was Cethlean's father, was easy to guess as well.

Jeralt's death was a given, though I was hoping for a surprise and make him live.

Monica turning out to be evil was easy, and hanging around Edelgard asking you to leave them alone just made it too obvious.

I started suspecting Solon and Jeritza when I couldn't train with them. That's what triggered the alarms.

When the first trailer for Three Houses was released, all I knew was that the title was "Three Houses", and that it had an axe wielding female lord. From that...

My predictions before and after watching the trailer:

- There would be a lance wielding lord, and the kingdom they would come from would be ice cold.

- Said lance wielding lord would also go crazy at some point, but would still rise up and take charge of the situation.

- The lord in charge of the empire would start the war, with part of their goal being to reclaim lost land.

- A character would get an eyepatch at some point.

- There would be a time skip.

- There would be multiple routes.

- This would be one of the darkest and violent Fire Emblem games.

- The church would be corrupt, but not completely.

- There would be a route where you side with the church.

- If the game had an avatar, they would be a mercenary deciding what side to fight for.

- This would be the first Fire Emblem game with full fledged New Game + mechanics.

Things I was off on:

- Both of the male protagonists would grow a beard. Claude has facial hair, but not to the level I had predicted.

- Solon would be responsible for Dmitri loosing an eye.

- Fighting for or against Claude would result in a lot of underhanded tactics being utilized, such as poisoning supplies, laying traps, and so on. This is kinda present at points, but not to the extent that I was expecting.

- Nemesis was secretly an anti-hero/villain who's goals were noble but their actions were not. From what I can tell, the situation is a lot more ambiguous in the game itself.

- Jeralt was going to die, but there would have been a lot of subversion's and red herrings surrounding the trope.

- I thought that blood would appear in gameplay with an on/off feature, with Nintendo keeping it off during Nintendo Directs because those were meant for a wider audience.

- The school mechanics would disappear entirely after the time skip, and then it would play like a much more conventional Fire Emblem game. There would be enough hints that the school phrase wouldn't last forever and that the player should get the most out of it while they can.

- Kellam and other characters that had a "disappeared without a trace" endings would make easter egg cameos.

The graphics and animations would improve significantly compared to the first trailer.

Edited by Hawkwing

To be fair to myself, I avoided the majority of pre-release information so I could get into the game as blindly as possible, but yeah, I did not see Edelgard being the Flame Emperor coming at all. I played Verdant Wind first, and I remember wondering whether the Flame Emperor would be a different character each route, with Edelgard's route using Dimitri as the antagonist and Dimitri's using Claude, or something like that.

Spoiler

Flame Emperor is Edelgard: This wasn't my prediction, but one of my friends, who decided to go with it as an off-the-wall guess after her absence in Chapter 6. He stated the guess as deliberately crazy (he later revealed it was a joke and he didn't actually believe it), but after that I started watching every single scene and trying to decide if it made sense, and really the evidence started mounting really quickly even before the game made it clear (Azure Moon scene where the Flame Emperor drops the dagger in early Chapter 10). The dawning feeling of "are the writers ACTUALLY going to do this?" was great.

Sothis would get a body: Guess that one didn't happen! I did not expect how minimal Sothis's role would be in the second half of the game.

Rhea is Emmeryn/Mikoto 3.0 and well be sickly-sweet and then die: lol

Rhea is Seiros and also the main antagonist: After the Lonato incident the above prediction definitely got revised and rather quickly morphed into this one. On some routes at least, this turned out to be correct, though of course it's more complicated/nuanced than I expected.

Byleth is Rhea's experiemnt to revive Sothis and that's why she keeps elevating Byleth to special positions: As soon as Rhea revealed the goddess's name I was suspicious, and then Jeralt's diary all but confirmed it. I know some people miss this one though, so I guess I'll mention it.

Each route would have a different final boss: Almost true.

Dimitri's "kill every last one of them" persona highlighted by the timeskip trailer would mostly be a fakeout and he'd still be 99% nice Fire Emblem lord with only occasional glimmers of a more violent self, similar to Chrom: I did not expect the writers to go nearly as far with Dimitri as they did. Very well-played.

Spoiler

I called it so early that Arundel was behind the tragedy of Duscur in BL.From the way he acted, to him talking to the Flame Emperor earlier in the game, to Dimitri's research on him. I was like 90% right since it was the Agarthans that did it, dunno if Arundel was 100% involved though.

Spoiler

When playing my first playthrough as the Golden Deer, I was able to predict Jeritza was the Death Knight in Ch. 4, since I recognized Patrick Seitz voicing both. Otherwise, I did not pick up on much in any other playthroughs for my first times on the other paths, aside from one time remembering making a last-minute prediction that Rhea was Seiros prior to the reveal in GD.

Now, I’ll make some story predictions about the wave 4 DLC story bits, based on data mines and other things. I’ll make a prediction here that the final Smash DLC character and info on the last DLC wave for Three Houses will be in the same Direct, and it will be next month.

Spoiler

-More info on the Agarthans and Dragons. Maybe even see where all the books that the church concealed from the public in the Abyss somewhere?

-The person with the Crest of Cichol that was datamined is an illegitimate child of Duke von Aegir. Someone else had said before that Ferdinand refers to himself as the legitimate child of Duke von Aegir.

-All of the DLC characters are involved with the Abyss in some way.

-The homosexual Byleth marriages for either gender will expand with the new DLC cast.

-Anna will get supports, primarily with the other DLC characters sans Jeritza.

-Guy from Nuvelle who was datamined will show hatred towards Shamir and Dagdans.

-Definitive 3H Waifu/husbando for me will come with the new DLC wave (not a serious prediction, more like a hope).

A big one I predicted:

Spoiler

Jeralt being assassinated by a shapeshifter. Before the game released, @TheDreamReturns predicted Jeralt would die fighting the true villain after uncovering the conspiracy, and I jokingly said this in reply as a reference to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

Maybe he'll unravel the conspiracy a quarter of the way into the story, but on his way to the monastery to only to be confronted by a monster with the power of shapeshifting thanks to the particular crest, and it gets the upper hand in the fight by assuming the shape of Byleth's mother. When Byleth finally finds the shapeshifting monster, they fly into a rage and fight the monster one-on-one, and are kept from killing it by the house leaders simply so that Byleth doesn't get consumed by revenge. 

I admit, I got every detail except getting assassinated by a shapeshifter wrong, but still. 

Back in 2018 E3,

Spoiler

I thought Byleth would turned out to be the antagonist, since he has a name from a demon, dressed up like villain from previous FE titles (all black tone and very little emotion) and trailer showing him fighting both kingdom and church soldiers. Obviously that one prediction was completely off

In the end I did not end up correctly predicting the Flame Emperor or the main conflict after the time skip.

I thought it would be Dimitri and not Edelgard who'd violently try overthrowing the existing social order. Edelgard was also a possibility because the crests are to blame, but Dimitri struck me as the likelier option. In the E3 trailer he more strongly says the world must be changed and of all lords his post timeskip design came off as the most corrupted. I assumed the Flame Emperor would spend the academy phase trying to recruit, manipulate and torment Dimitri and that this would eventually cause him to turn against the church. I also predicted Dimitri would grow disillusioned with the Flame Emperor's lack of success, kill him and then take his mantle and goals for himself.

I did accurately predict Edelgard had spended some time in captivity. The dislike of chains, rats, and losing control are a very specific combination that didn't leave much other options. 

It was also easy to guess which characters ended up being dragons. Or how that psychotic, green haired lady  from the past who's voiced by Cheremei Leigh turned out to be the same character as that psychotic green haired lady in the present who's also voiced by Cheremei Leigh. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, CyberController said:

I thought Jeralt wouldn’t be Byleth’s actual dad, since they don’t look much alike. I was wrong

Spoiler

My friend thought Rhea was Byleth's mother and estrange wife of Jeralt consider their interaction in the first few chapters

It was not "entirely correct" but Byleth turned out indeed was related to Rhea

Spoiler

I never predicted that Edelgard would go as far as to transform herself into a demonic beast.

I predicted that Rhea is a direct descendant of Seiros or something. Never thought they’re the same person.