What's on the Christmas table around there?

Garlyle

Are you celeberating Christmas? Is there a traditional food you eat in your country around this time of the year? Let's use the beauty of the internet to share the meals you always have at this time of celebration with your family.

Allow me to begin with something so delicious, I have to put it into spoilers.

Spoiler

Töltött káposzta / Cabbage Rolls

szilveszteri-toltott-kaposzta.jpg

It makes sure alone that you won't leave with half your stomach empty. Add a bit of a sour cream and have a slice of bread on the side and you are good for the day. Mainly it's cabbage with some minced meat, smoked ham, rice, hungarian paprika and you are golden.

On Christmas Eve we have some fish though.

At first I didn't notice you are from hungary, and was completely  baffled by the food in the spoiler block.

Well, it wouldn't really make sense for me to repeat what was already said, so I will go with what my family eats around christmastime. Pretty simple, really: fish with fish. The small ones eat Fish Fingers, the others eat Fish Soup (Halászlé in hungarian, which means "Fisherman Soup", but rest assured, it's made from fish and not fishermen), and different types of fishes, which my grandfather either buys or catches (he is a fisherman after all...) Sometimes we even spice things up with some homemade salmon and cucumber sushi. These, with some rice and tartar sauce, and you are good. Man, I love fish, so I'm always looking forward to the annual christmas family lunch.

I am not big on Christmas dinner itself, so my parents and I will probably just eat out somewhere.

I put more emphasis on Christmas Eve, so I will probably cook steak for my parents on that night if I am with them. If I am with my friends, we will probably just chill and play boardgames, although I might borrow my friend's kitchen and cook something up.

The girlfriend and I will be going on a Christmas buffet, but that doesn't stop her mom from prepping stuff for the Eve feast. 

• Morcón, which is a Filipino-style beef roulade (contrary to its Andalusian counterpart, a kind of chorizo)
  • Herb mac n' cheese
  • Ham
  • Buttered shrimp

We're dropping the soup, since we got a lot already. XD

My family has been doing breakfast on Christmas day for a while now. Challah french toast with hashbrowns, and eggs Florentine on English muffins as a new addition this year. Only after this do we open gifts, child impatience when it comes to presents is gone now, so it's no problem.

We used to be invited other places for dinner, but changes to greater family dynamics means we weren't invited anywhere this year. We're just doing a turkey for dinner, nothing special.

I attempted to make yule log for the first time too. Everything went well until the roll got out of the oven, it had holes in it already, and when unrolled later, it broke clearly in two. The recipe seems to be the problem, a flourless chocolate cake lacked the elasticity necessary for a yule log. It still tastes good, it just looks like an utter mess.