[FE5] Lil' Manster – Translation and Quality-of-life Patch for Thracia 776

Miacis

7 hours ago, Miacis said:

There's no version with zero QOL changes, since 99% of people don't have any problem with quality-of-life additions that don't really impact the gameplay.

Damn! I'm among the one percents. Although there is also a practical reason, two days ago, Zane released a new bug fix for the FE5's QoL, maybe through yours contributions. The QoLs are nice and dandy for the modern FE games.
I guess that, in the end, I should play the ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776 from 1999.

Begging, from the start for forgiveness, for being a pain in the butt, but I'm confused by: Lil' Manster 1.02 patch "* Name and description for the unused Acrobat skill", described with "Allows user to cross unusual terrain. May break events".
The Japanese rendering of the skill's name is シナズ (shinazu). Instead of Katakana (used mostly for foreign words), the "FireEmblemWiki" uses the Hiragana transcription しなず (shinazu, immortal, undying), citing also the description しなない  (shinanai, cannot die). A hidden personal skill on Eyvel and Kempf. Probably there aren't any "undying" named skills in the modern FE games, but the name doesn't match "Acrobat", I apologize if You had it hacked, tested and it had passed as being like the "Acrobat" from Awakening.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, WolfTwin said:

Damn! I'm among the one percents. Although there is also a practical reason, two days ago, Zane released a new bug fix for the FE5's QoL, maybe through yours contributions. The QoLs are nice and dandy for the modern FE games.
I guess that, in the end, I should play the ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776 from 1999.

The Guard AI display bugfix is already in 1.05. I haven't included the swap animation modes fix yet, but it's such a minor inconvenience, I think it can wait a bit. Also yeah, if you can play vanilla JP Thracia, go for it, honestly. The English menu system does make the game a bit laggy, so if you know Japanese, hey, might as well.

6 hours ago, WolfTwin said:

Begging, from the start for forgiveness, for being a pain in the butt, but I'm confused by: Lil' Manster 1.02 patch "* Name and description for the unused Acrobat skill", described with "Allows user to cross unusual terrain. May break events".
The Japanese rendering of the skill's name is シナズ (shinazu). Instead of Katakana (used mostly for foreign words), the "FireEmblemWiki" uses the Hiragana transcription しなず (shinazu, immortal, undying), citing also the description しなない  (shinanai, cannot die). A hidden personal skill on Eyvel and Kempf. Probably there aren't any "undying" named skills in the modern FE games, but the name doesn't match "Acrobat", I apologize if You had it hacked, tested and it had passed as being like the "Acrobat" from Awakening.

Ah, but here's the tricky part: Eyvel and Kempf are immortal, but have you ever seen this skill on them? And yet, it says that's the Immortal skill...

Well, they left a mistake in the unused content: this isn't the skill that makes you Immortal. The actual Immortal skill is invisible. This skill lets you go through some walls, fences, villages, etc at a cost of always 8 movement. It's unused, obviously.

The reason I gave this skill a proper title and description is so people using cheats or randomizers can know what this skill does. And to let them know what it does, I had to change its description (and name), since it... doesn't actually make you immortal.

Honestly though, there's probably better names than "Acrobat" for this, since that's... not really what it does. But I wanted to have an official skill name, and this was the closest I could find. 🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, RJWalker said:

Thanks in advance for agreeing to make a specific patch just for me. Though I imagine future updates to the main patch would require you to do this again, making this whole attempt futile in the long run.

Edit: If it's easier to do, I'd be fine with removing all the QoL changes that aren't considered essential. Like, I'd be fine with a menu and script translation if it was easier to do than removing several specific changes.

Making individual patches like this takes about... 3 minutes. I checked. 😛
Unless people don't go crazy and ask for 10 of these every release, this is still faster for me than maintaining and releasing more versions of the patch, like a "no-QOL at all" version would be.

Anyways, here's your patch:

RJWalker_Thracia.ips

Edited by Miacis

16 hours ago, Miacis said:

Making individual patches like this takes about... 3 minutes. I checked. 😛
Unless people don't go crazy and ask for 10 of these every release, this is still faster for me than maintaining and releasing more versions of the patch, like a "no-QOL at all" version would be.

Anyways, here's your patch:

RJWalker_Thracia.ips 532.96 kB · 0 downloads

Cool, thanks.

I feel Leif's speech is far too formal in this translation. He doesn't sound like someone who's been on the run and hiding in villages for his entire childhood. I think Heroes did a fine job with his mannerisms and speech. He sounds like a brat at times there which suits him more but with some deep trauma behind that (though that part is done well enough in this translation). I doubt you're making entire script revisions such as changing the main character's mannerisms but whatever.

Edited by RJWalker

He has a reputation in the fandom of spending his life hiding in rural villages, but the chronology just doesn't agree.
Leif spent about 10 years of his life growing up among royalty (Leonster), local royalty (Alster), and nobility (Tahra). That leaves about 1-2 years living in Frest, and 3 years in random Thracia places until arriving in Fiana. Considering his education all throughout was done by fancy knights, I'd say it's pretty on point, actually. 🙂

As for Heroes, isn't he pretty formal there too?

This realm may be tranquil, but war finds its way here all the same. We must not give in. We will prevail! I just know we can do it!

My home has fallen into the clutches of occupiers... But I will take it back from them. I have sworn this to my father, who they killed.

My name is Leif, heir to Leonster... Though I am yet unworthy of the title, I will do all I can to earn it.

Edited by Miacis

On 6/9/2020 at 10:28 PM, Miacis said:

Well, they left a mistake in the unused content: this isn't the skill that makes you Immortal. The actual Immortal skill is invisible. This skill lets you go through some walls, fences, villages, etc at a cost of always 8 movement. It's unused, obviously.

The reason I gave this skill a proper title and description is so people using cheats or randomizers can know what this skill does. And to let them know what it does, I had to change its description (and name), since it... doesn't actually make you immortal.

Honestly though, there's probably better names than "Acrobat" for this, since that's... not really what it does. But I wanted to have an official skill name, and this was the closest I could find. 🤷‍♀️

Could you call it "Immaterial" or "Phase Through" something else suitably ghostly?

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, YourBoyRoy said:

Hmm, is work on this patch finished or are there still things to improve on?

image.png.a34aee404f07a964d7db14652c4603df.png

It's still going, but it's all been a bunch of minor fixes. I'll wait for a couple more before bundling it into a patch.

(Or until Heroes adds Thracia content. Whichever comes first.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just finding this thread now and wanted to say thank you for all your hard work, I can't even imagine the effort it must take to do something like this.

I'm not sure if this is a little out of the scope of the thread, but I thought I'd ask just in case seeing as it relates to the QOL features the patch uses (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!). Does anyone know if there are separate ips files for things like Zane's "QOL Additions" (particularly the "Guard AI display" and "Talk Display") or Min's "Crt% display in battle" patches. I know that they've been incorporated into the base translation patch, but as someone who likes both translation patches (sorry, I'm a bit nostalgia blind for some of the old names) I'd also appreciate knowing how to install them separately. Sorry that I'm kind of new to a lot of this, I just couldn't find the Crit Display one anywhere and Zane's QOL Additions being some github thing instead of a simple ips was really intimidating to me.

Hi there! Thanks for the kind words!

Min's Crt% display, I got it from an IPS patch in the first place, so I've attached it to this post. Maybe later I'll add it to the OP, for the next release. It's from some obscure folder of free-to-use JP patches and assets, so no wonder you had a hard time finding it.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for regarding Zane's QOL additions, so, to cover all cases:

1) If you just want all of them, I can probably make a patch that applies all of them (and ask Zane if he wants to have that hosted on his end, since it'd still be his unedited work).

2) If you want individual patches for each single addition, I can do that too but these patches would be incompatible with one another.
To keep it very simple, the whole "github thing" (build files for his QOL additions) is what allows you to stack any combination you desire and apply them to a ROM while still being compatible.

So, if you just want one of the additions and no other, I can make a patch for it and leave it up. Same if you want all of them.

If you want more than one at a time, but not all of them, you have two options:

- Just tell me which ones you want and I'll make you an IPS for it. [Pros: Very fast, no effort on your end.] [Con: You'll have to come ask me again if you want a different combo.]
- Download the GitHub folder, follow the ReadMe's instructions, and edit the rom directly that way. [Pros: Very easy once it's set up, you can make any QOL combo yourself, at will, forever.] [Con: Takes a bit of elbow grease to set up.]

FE5 戦闘時必殺率表示(改)-N.ips

Thank you for the help! Despite being generally tech-unsavy I decided to try setting up the build files manually but in the end I could only get it partially working (I can get it to work for an unmodified rom, but a modified one just gets corrupted). I think the default 'freespace' value is set to be compatible for an unmodified rom and I have no idea what value I'd need to change it to considering the other patches I have already applied (I've tried applying it to a clean rom first and then applying other patches later, but that then ruins the compatibility of the other .ips files).

If there is some way to learn what value I should have it set to I would greatly appreciate any advice, but I wouldn't want to take up any more of your time than I already have if it is too hard to explain to a novice. (or if that's too much to ask, would it be possible to get a "Guard AI display" ips?)

Edited by Sarah151

15 hours ago, Sarah151 said:

Thank you for the help! Despite being generally tech-unsavy I decided to try setting up the build files manually but in the end I could only get it partially working (I can get it to work for an unmodified rom, but a modified one just gets corrupted). I think the default 'freespace' value is set to be compatible for an unmodified rom and I have no idea what value I'd need to change it to considering the other patches I have already applied (I've tried applying it to a clean rom first and then applying other patches later, but that then ruins the compatibility of the other .ips files).

If there is some way to learn what value I should have it set to I would greatly appreciate any advice, but I wouldn't want to take up any more of your time than I already have if it is too hard to explain to a novice. (or if that's too much to ask, would it be possible to get a "Guard AI display" ips?)

Oh wow, that was fast. If you mean QOL_FREESPACE :?= $XXXXXX, then try $0C6C70. That's what I use with most patches. Otherwise, $181A7A might do it (that's what I use for Super Thracia).

Thank you again for the help! Unfortunately those values also resulted in a corrupted rom, but I've at least enjoyed the learning experience. Hope my questions didn't take up too much of your time.

Edit: Although, I am actually really curious now about the 'obscure folder of free-to-use JP patches' you mentioned earlier. Is there a link available to all of them?

Edited by Sarah151

Hey I would like to thank you first for all your efforts on this patch. Thracia 776 is one of my favorites FE so all these patches are honestly really nice ! 

I have a question about the patch in other languages than English, is the translation based on the original version (in Japanese) or in the English version ? I looked up on the thread and couldn't find a definitive answer so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks !  

On 8/8/2020 at 11:46 AM, Sarah151 said:

Thank you again for the help! Unfortunately those values also resulted in a corrupted rom, but I've at least enjoyed the learning experience. Hope my questions didn't take up too much of your time.

Edit: Although, I am actually really curious now about the 'obscure folder of free-to-use JP patches' you mentioned earlier. Is there a link available to all of them?

Really late answer (apologies!), but I'm sorry this is leading to a corrupted rom. That's quite strange. My offers for a custom patch does still stand, if need be.

As for the folder, here it is. Though you might need to use something like this website to extract it properly.

5 hours ago, Pampa said:

Hey I would like to thank you first for all your efforts on this patch. Thracia 776 is one of my favorites FE so all these patches are honestly really nice ! 

I have a question about the patch in other languages than English, is the translation based on the original version (in Japanese) or in the English version ? I looked up on the thread and couldn't find a definitive answer so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks !  

Thank you for the kind words!

I believe all the translation patches are based on English translations, though I'm not entirely sure about the German patch, as it's changed hands.

As far as I've seen, the Spanish patch seems to be taking cues mostly from PE, with some LM script tweaks. The French patch is a bit more conservative, somewhere between LM and FireLizard's translation (and we have a Japanese speaker proofreading us, which does help).

If you wanna know more about these individual projects, you can visit our Discord, and we'll point you to the teams working on the patch you're interested in. 🙂

Edited by Miacis

• 2 weeks later...

I saw your Lil' Manster english translations on RHDN getting flagged as non-compliant by the original PE author Cirosan after I'm making Addendum translation submission while ago, can you do me a favor to have a chance to resubmit this translation again when there's Super Thracia menu translation still exist in RHDN?

Edited by Hengki Kusuma Adi

Thanks for all the hard work the team has put in on this!

I've been playing since the days of the original English patch, and it's very nice to have something that is complete, looks nice, and won't crash. Cleaning up some of the PE translation mistakes and removing the rewrites is especially appreciated.

I've also got a minor question on the default menu color if anyone knows. The default color for the original game is gray, but for this patch it's blue. I think this was something that was changed in PE, but I'm not certain. Was this change for text readability or some other reason or just more PE fiat? Just curious

Hello everyone. Sorry for abandoning this thread a tad, it's been a busy few weeks.

Lil' Manster's 1.06 development is still ongoing and the list of minor fixes with increasingly nonsensical descriptors is getting longer and longer. However, there's one major bugfix and one major QOL addition I'm waiting for before release. Promise, you only have to endure Wolfe's broken name and sub-optimal horses for a little longer. Thank you for your patience, everyone. 🥰

If the wait is too long to bear, may I offer you a smol FE5 romhack in these trying times? I've launched Thracia 776 Overclocked not too long ago. It's pretty simple, right now, but there's definitely more to come! There's also Ultimage's FE5 Weapon Reversal patch. We'll both be at FEE3, if you guys follow that.

And uh... that's about it for now. I'mma just answer the messages I've left hanging for way too long, now.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:54 PM, ZeroSigma said:

Hey, sorry for bothering, but can I get a patch with only

Hold L to Switch Animations, 

Guard AI Display,

Crit Display,

and Hold A to Increase Movement Speed? Thanks!

@ZeroSigma
Many apologies for the late answer. I was wary about giving you a patch while I was still migrating things over into the new build folder, but the current version should be stable enough now. If it's not too late (saves are compatible, at least!), here's the patch:

ZeroSigma_Thracia.ips

On 8/27/2020 at 8:27 AM, Hengki Kusuma Adi said:

I saw your Lil' Manster english translations on RHDN getting flagged as non-compliant by the original PE author Cirosan after I'm making Addendum translation submission while ago, can you do me a favor to have a chance to resubmit this translation again when there's Super Thracia menu translation still exist in RHDN?

@Hengki Kusuma Adi Thank you for trying to add our translation to RHDN, but as the moderators point out in the report message, putting Lil' Manster as an addendum basically requires to have PE as a rombase. I'll try to put it on RHDN for our next patch release. Should be easier for me, since I have all the docs and tools for it.

Though, in all honesty, this probably won't stop Cirosan from falsely claiming the patch contains his material. I guess this'll be a good way to see how the staff handles bad reports.

On 9/1/2020 at 2:27 AM, Serin said:

I've also got a minor question on the default menu color if anyone knows. The default color for the original game is gray, but for this patch it's blue. I think this was something that was changed in PE, but I'm not certain. Was this change for text readability or some other reason or just more PE fiat? Just curious

I'm glad you're enjoying the patch! 🙂

The default menu colors were indeed changed to provide a higher contrast. As you can probably tell, our menu font isn't the most legible thing in the world, so we decided before the final release to go for something darker. There was a community poll between the present color and a dark gray, and it was a bit of a pitched battle, but in the end, we settled for the blue. At least people can change those freely if they want.

For the curious, the vanilla Thracia menu color default is 24 24 24 9 9 9, and the dark grey we had in mind was 15 15 15 3 3 3.

Edited by Miacis

On 9/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, SRPG Tryhard said:

Remind me who was the translator that insisted that the CYL names are not the official ones? Because in my opinion doubting canon like that was a good reason to not trust their translation.

Hi and welcome! That would be both my predecessor and myself. You can find our reasoning for it in our FAQ.

There are a lot of indicators that FE5's CYL localized names are a rush job and are about as reliable a source as the old TCG names, which uh, I hope no one considered canon. Added to that, recent FEH names like Yngvi and Scathach (named Ulster in the CYL poll...) shows that newer IntSys localizations for old FE names have been trending toward "ignore the kana, translate the reference as is". FE5's CYL names, meanwhile, are overwhelmingly trending "translate the kana directly" (Safy, Perne, Sleuf, Machyua...).
A key part of knowing what's canon and what isn't relies on research and determining the reliability of the sources. If you take every official material as "canon", then you end up with "Deke" and "Rutoga" as canon names for our fav FE6 swordies, which, admittedly, is pretty sad.

As for the trustworthyness of the translation, I'll admit, it's difficult for a non-Japanese-speaker like myself to be an impartial judge. But consulting with Japanese speakers has given me a pretty good idea of which parts of the script are weaker, and... well, if a mistake hasn't already been addressed, it'll be by the time we roll v1.07 out!
Besides, unlike a lot of fan-translations, ours is fully documented, and you shouldn't have a difficult time finding what was adapted and what wasn't.

Edited by Miacis
FAQ link broke

1 hour ago, Miacis said:

There are a lot of indicators that FE5's CYL localized names are a rush job and are about as reliable a source as the old TCG names, which uh, I hope no one considered canon. Added to that, recent FEH names like Yngvi and Scathach (named Ulster in the CYL poll...) shows that newer IntSys localizations for old FE names have been trending toward "ignore the kana, translate the reference as is". FE5's CYL names, meanwhile, are overwhelmingly trending "translate the kana directly" (Safy, Perne, Sleuf, Machyua...).
A key part of knowing what's canon and what isn't relies on research and determining the reliability of the sources. If you take every official material as "canon", then you end up with "Deke" and "Rutoga" as canon names for our fav FE6 swordies, which, admittedly, is pretty sad.

I had been wondering about this myself for a while now. Cirosan's reasoning was basically just that he didn't like the new names so he made them whatever he wanted; it's reassuring to know you're performing research and consulting native speakers. Looking forward to the next update!

16 hours ago, Miacis said:

A key part of knowing what's canon and what isn't relies on research and determining the reliability of the sources.

There is only one canon and it is the latest version of a name (in case it has been updated over the years as you mentioned). That you are even arguing over this shows that instead you want to decide your own "canon" rather than use the one that is objectively true. If the name is used in the TCG then you use it. If it was later updated for CYL then you pick that one. When eventually they add a reference to it in FEH, then update it again. Unless I'm missing a few, most characters have already been added to the CYL list, so there it is.

It's simple as that, you follow the official names by the official Nintendo sources.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, Miacis said:

@ZeroSigma
Many apologies for the late answer. I was wary about giving you a patch while I was still migrating things over into the new build folder, but the current version should be stable enough now. If it's not too late (saves are compatible, at least!), here's the patch:

ZeroSigma_Thracia.ips 530.01 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much for your work! I've been having a blast with Thracia thanks to this patch @Miacis