[FE5] Lil' Manster – Translation and Quality-of-life Patch for Thracia 776

Miacis

2 hours ago, Eizzah said:

Uhm I just saw this while finishing Thracia, and ... wouldn't it be more of a pact ?
Idk what the japanese text says, but I'd be more enclined to say it's a pact.

The word compact can also mean a formal agreement. Though, admittedly, that definition isn't used as often.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/compact#luna-section

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 10:45 PM, TheSuzakuSeven00 said:

Is this project completed and are there any more updates planned for it?

This project is expected to see one final update sometime around next year. A massive script revision effort is underway, as we comb through the translation with the help of Straylizer. Until then, the patch is as good as complete and can be played as such, with the only things holding it back being a smattering of translation inconsistencies and overall menu lag.

An upcoming mini-update will include the menu lag fix, as well as a few cool additions. However, it won't include any of the script revisions until the entire review is complete.

The final Lil' Manster update will also include a patch called Lil' Fiana, which removes all QOL changes, for reviewing and documenting purposes (and for people who just prefer playing it that way).

After the final version's release, development on Lil' Manster and its script will stop, although we will periodically update localizations as more official names are revealed.

Edited by Miacis

On 7/16/2021 at 7:15 AM, Miacis said:

This project is expected to see one final update sometime around next year. A massive script revision effort is underway, as we comb through the translation with the help of Straylizer. Until then, the patch is as good as complete and can be played as such, with the only things holding it back being a smattering of translation inconsistencies and overall menu lag.

An upcoming mini-update will include the menu lag fix, as well as a few cool additions. However, it won't include any of the script revisions until the entire review is complete.

The final Lil' Manster update will also include a patch called Lil' Fiana, which removes all QOL changes, for reviewing and documenting purposes (and for people who just prefer playing it that way).

After the final version's release, development on Lil' Manster and its script will stop, although we will periodically update localizations as more official names are revealed.

Very nice to hear about your projected plans for the patch! I'm keen to see how the script will change, though it's a long while yet. Does the exclusion of the script revisions until release also include canonically incorrect names of characters and places? Like, Sara with her Kia Staff have been released in Heroes; last I checked, her name was Sarah and the staff went by Kaia instead. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, from the old PE script, though I didn't see that in the pdfs.

EDIT: I just reread the thread and Sara/Kia was fixed, so my bad. I'm not sure about recent Heroes additions but I assume you're on top of things.

Edited by YourBoyRoy

• 2 weeks later...

so i know this is a super late comment since its like mid 2021 but my buddy just downloaded the game after we just finished the project naga FE4 patch. my question is im having an issue where none of my units are getting any stat growths on level up. like at all. i tried restarting the game/emulator/save state and each time i get a level on anyone i dont get a single stat. did we somehow get a ) growth hacked version? is there something i can do to get rid of this problem? we were having a hard time getting the game to install and work on the emulator at first but now the tanslation patch plays fine but the stats are still off. anything anyone can offer as advice would be great. so far i love the game but it sucks knowing i have no stats to work with

16 hours ago, zack4454 said:

so i know this is a super late comment since its like mid 2021 but my buddy just downloaded the game after we just finished the project naga FE4 patch. my question is im having an issue where none of my units are getting any stat growths on level up. like at all. i tried restarting the game/emulator/save state and each time i get a level on anyone i dont get a single stat. did we somehow get a ) growth hacked version? is there something i can do to get rid of this problem? we were having a hard time getting the game to install and work on the emulator at first but now the tanslation patch plays fine but the stats are still off. anything anyone can offer as advice would be great. so far i love the game but it sucks knowing i have no stats to work with

You either applied the optional 0% growth patch by mistake, or you're insanely unlucky. When you patch the rom make sure you pay attention to which patch you're using if you're applying any of the optional ones. 

I was discussing the various translations for FE5 elsewhere and someone claimed that Project Exile went ahead and completely replaced some instances of dialogue. Like, they made up new dialogue and even replaced the original npc sprite. I managed to find one instance of this possibly happening and I wanted clarification.

A village in chapter 7 gives you a Master Seal.

In the original patch, the dialogue for the village is as follows:

Man: “P-Please, I just couldn’t resist…don’t take me away… Huh? You’re not the castle guards? Oh… Just forget what I said, then. Here, I’ll give you this to keep your mouth shut.”

In this patch (which may have been carried over from Project Exile), the dialogue is as follows:

Woman: "Heeey there, soldier. At the risk of sounding too forward, I've always admired the Panzerritter, you know. You folks are so brave, with a body to match... Hm? Beg your pardon? You're not with the Panzerritter? ...Oh, c'mon! I had this whole spiel prepared an' everything! Ugh, there go my plans... Look, one of the knights from the Panzerritter was by earlier, and he left this here. I thought it was the classic "pretend to forget something so you have an excuse to come back" ploy, but I guess not... Well, see that this gets back to him, will you?

And screenshots of both are included. The general idea of both is the same: Person mistakes you for the guard and gives you the master seal after you clear up the misunderstanding but this goes beyond creative liberties in dialogue. This is lines and lines of completely made up dialogue and a replaced sprite. What is the reason and justification for this completely made up dialogue? How many such changes are there? They should be reverted back, especially if they're replacing entire characters and sprites. I hope such stuff will be part of the script revision you said is happening.

40-FE5_(2)047.png

Untitled.jpg

Edited by RJWalker

4 hours ago, RJWalker said:

I was discussing the various translations for FE5 elsewhere and someone claimed that Project Exile went ahead and completely replaced some instances of dialogue. Like, they made up new dialogue and even replaced the original npc sprite. I managed to find one instance of this possibly happening and I wanted clarification.

I recall in the original PE thread and patch notes that Cirosan said that he (and the team) made up a lot of new dialogue for visiting NPCs, as the base game usually just has a few lines similar to what you posted. Another example was an old man who pontificated for a while on how pure water is created, from a certain type of tree dew or something, instead of just handing one over and saying goodbye.

Tbh I had a problem with this early on, especially with how Cirosan was very dismissive of the vanilla script, in a kind of 'I can do better' sense. That attitude is still sucky, but the changes do add some flavour like the later FE games do. Didn't know that sprites were changed though, that's a bit much.

3 hours ago, YourBoyRoy said:

I recall in the original PE thread and patch notes that Cirosan said that he (and the team) made up a lot of new dialogue for visiting NPCs, as the base game usually just has a few lines similar to what you posted. Another example was an old man who pontificated for a while on how pure water is created, from a certain type of tree dew or something, instead of just handing one over and saying goodbye.

Tbh I had a problem with this early on, especially with how Cirosan was very dismissive of the vanilla script, in a kind of 'I can do better' sense. That attitude is still sucky, but the changes do add some flavour like the later FE games do. Didn't know that sprites were changed though, that's a bit much.

They’re adding flavour and then there’s this abomination. The dialogue is out of place and unneeded. It should be reverted immediately. And from the discussions I was having, there are many more instances of this. 

Also, I'm not fond of the constant alliteration the villagers do with the crusader names. It's kinda too much. This is probably unlikely to get changed but just wanted to say it.

Edit:

Literally starts happening in the first chapter. Replaced old woman portrait with a... different old woman portrait for the house that gives you a vulnerary.

Another example: the house in chapter 11 that gives you the magic up staff. It too has a replaced npc portrait. Dialogue is almost identical this time but again, why replace npc portraits?

Two more in chapter 12: the house at the top that gives you the silence staff replaces an old woman portrait with a middle aged man portrait. Also, extra dialogue about using silence staves to shut up children is added. The house at the bottom which gives you the Heim scroll replaces an old man portrait with an old woman portrait. Funnily enough, it's the same portrait that ended up being used as a replacement for the house at the top. This is so baffling.

Many, many examples in chapter 14. Pretty much all of them have their portraits replaced, sometimes just shuffling portraits from one house to another for whatever reason.

I could go on but you get the point. Literally every chapter I looked at (1, 7, 11, 12, 14 and 15) has at least one and most have multiple instances. I'm going to guess that every chapter has at least one instance but I'm going to keep checking anyway. I don't even know what to say at this point. These are some bizarre changes to make. What is even the purpose? This is clearly a extensive issue and should be corrected immediately.

Edited by RJWalker

Comprehensive list, if you need it. Note that I'm not keeping track of the dialogue changes unless it's really egregious because that's too much work and you have the scripts anyway.

Chapter 1:

1. House that gives a vulnerary:  Old woman -> different old woman

Chapter 2: 

1. House that gives a vulnerary: Old woman -> adult man
  2. House that gives a speed ring: young man and young woman -> different young man and different young woman

Chapter 4:

1. Bottom left house: Old woman -> different old woman
  2. Bottom right house: young woman (Dashin's sister) -> same sprite but recoloured (WHY???)
  3. Top right house (the one for Corple): Old man  -> different old man

Chapter 5:

1. One of the female NPCs is recoloured. Again, why???
  2. One of the bandits with Lifis -> a different bandit sprite
  3. When you open the door to Lifis' cell, one of the bandits that speaks is replaced with a different bandit sprite

Chapter 6:

1. Bottom row right house: young woman sprite recoloured. I don't understand.
  2. Top row right house (right of Hicks' house): old man who talks about his grandson -> adult man who doesn't look old enough to have a grandson
  3. Lower Middle row right house: original patch didn't have a portrait, just lines of dialogue without a dialogue box. Assuming this was a glitch from the first patch, it now has a portrait but I don't know how it is in the japanese version.
  4. Bottom row left house (with Od scroll): young man -> different young man
  5. Upper Middle row left house (with Paragon manual): young woman -> different young woman

Chapter 7:

1. Bandit that talks to Shiva -> different bandit portrait
  2. House that gives a antidote: young man -> middle aged man
  3. House that gives master seal: middle aged man -> young woman + completely changed context + a long spiel about her attempt at seducing some random knight that the patch invented 
  4. Bottom house that talks about the arena: old man -> old woman

Chapter 8: 

1. Top house: Middle aged man portrait is coloured for reasons unknown to man. I also noticed the he makes negative comments about Gomez' intelligence that weren't present in the original and should be removed.
  2. Bottom house that gives luck ring: Middle aged man -> young woman

Chapter 9:

1. Top house: Old woman -> old man
  2. Bottom house: middle aged man has his portrait recoloured

Chapter 10:

1. Bottom house: middle aged man -> young man

Chapter 11:

1. Kempf's subordinate that arrests Olwen: knight portrait -> different knight portrait

Chapter 11x:

1. During the intro, 3 children have dialogue with Olwen. In this version, only two of the three speak. This might be an intentional correction since the dialogue suggests only two children speaking but it should be checked.

Chapter 12:

1. Old woman that speaks alongside Mareeta and Saias in the intro -> different old woman
  2. Top house (with silence staff): old woman -> middle aged man + dialogue about using silence staves to shut up children which I didn't feel was appropriate
  3. Bottom house (with Heim scroll): old man -> old woman (literally the same portrait that used to be for the top house)
  4. House which Olwen needs to visit: Instead of an old man thanking you for saving his granddaughter, a completely new scene is added between a child and a young woman where the former thanks you for saving her and the latter has no dialogue at all. This might be proper correction as the original dialogue was identical to a different house.

Chapter 13:

1.  Bottom house (with Armourslayer): young man -> middle aged man
  2. Top house (with hammer): old man -> adult man

Chapter 14:

1. Almost all houses have npcs replaced. Tracking them with only text to reference them will take too much time. 

I'll continue this later but just look at this shit. More npcs have been either completely replaced or recoloured than were kept the same. What possible reason could there even be? In some cases in the original, a chapter uses the same portrait in multiple houses so I can understand the rationale there (even though that doesn't make these changes acceptable) but most of the time, these changes are completely random. Of course, it could be that it is the original patch that got it wrong and replaced portraits but I find that extremely unlikely, given the conventions of translation patches when it was made.

In any case, this should be reverted. It might seem minor as these are just nameless one-off npcs but I think it does matter. These are extensive, unnecessary  and bizarre changes and it's about the principle. This is wrong and needs to go. And given how extensive this is, it's pretty much going to involve having to look at every single npc that has any sort of dialogue or even just flashes on screen because odds are that their portrait was replaced for whatever goddamn reason.

EDIT: In light on discussions I've had, further compilation is unnecessary. I realize I am in the minority regarding such changes and most people won't care. So I understand if reverting these changes won't ever be a priority but I hope the script revision you talked about will at least discuss some of the dialogue changes I mentioned as well as the possibility of at least the Lil' Fiana fork cutting down on the bigger creative liberties in dialogue.

Edited by RJWalker
Removed assumptions about Cirosan's character. Don't want to get into that.

Looks like the official translations are 'Lifis' and 'Safy', with the former's release in Heroes. Also, 'Perne'. That was a pretty helpful release haha

I started playing the game again recently, and the guy in the northern house in Chapter 8 says "Ullur's Ulcers!" The capitalisation of 'Ulcers' is a bit odd but it's okay, I just thought that it was 'Ullr' already, so I guess that's more official localisation. Geeze Louise!  

Edited by YourBoyRoy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, quick update here on the state of the project, and my chance to address some of the posts that have been made since last time.

--------------

First, the state of the project:

The script review is still slowly going. The speed of the project has been slowed down quite a bit, as my own pace has tanked for the past 4 months, since I moved to a new house in need of construction work, and my job has also been kicking me in the teeth! I know this is disappointing, considering how fast-paced updates could be in the past, but be assured that we're not giving up. 🙂

On the coding side, Ultimage has completed a much cleaner display for persistent level up +1s. It'll be included with the mini-update, although there's no release date for that one yet.

Other than that, there's a couple cool peeps in our Discord channel (Lord Louie and Zemosa) working on their first FE5 mods, which is pretty encouraging. Thracia finally getting some recognition. Zane Avernathy is also here, providing guidance to us all, as he (I believe) is still working on his FE7 demake.

That's about it before I get to answering posts, though. Have a good day, folks.

-------------

On 8/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, YourBoyRoy said:

Lifis, Safy, Perne, Ullr, Dahna, etc

[Does the exclusion of the script revisions until release also include canonically incorrect names of characters and places?]

It does not. I've been updating the build with Heroes' new localizations as they are released, so the mini-update will include those. 🙂

On 8/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, RJWalker said:

*gestures at the massive posts*

EDIT: In light on discussions I've had, further compilation is unnecessary. I realize I am in the minority regarding such changes and most people won't care. So I understand if reverting these changes won't ever be a priority but I hope the script revision you talked about will at least discuss some of the dialogue changes I mentioned as well as the possibility of at least the Lil' Fiana fork cutting down on the bigger creative liberties in dialogue.

This was already addressed on Reddit, so I'll only provide a quick tl;dr.

This entire tirade was a mishmash of genuine, known mistakes (which will be addressed during script revision), creative liberties in the writing (which will be further examined during script revision) and aesthetic choices that were imposed by how the text was inserted (from scratch, portraits included) and may or may not be tweaked.
So yes. We know. No, we won't change all of it. But we'll take a look. We already planned to take a look. It just takes forever.

Finally, I'll say it for what I hope is the final time:

Lil' Fiana is not a retranslation.
Lil' Fiana removes QoL changes, in interface and in dialogue, but nothing else.
It is still Lil' Manster, except with no QoL features.

I will release no such thing as "Lil' Manster but with CYL names / literal dialogue / no writing liberties/ no aesthetics liberties"

If someone wants to make their own translation patch of Thracia, they are free to do so on their own free time. I'll not even raise any complaint if they wish to base it on our own hard work, so long as proper credit is given.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:09 AM, Miacis said:

It does not. I've been updating the build with Heroes' new localizations as they are released, so the mini-update will include those. 🙂

Awesome, I'm looking forward to that! I might put my playthrough on hold until then.

Nice work with persevering with the script review. Is there a way to see current progress or choices being made before the big release?

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 12:34 PM, YourBoyRoy said:

Is there a way to see current progress or choices being made before the big release?

Aside from joining the Discord server and checking out the #script-review channel, no, not really. It also doesn't have any of the final choices we make, as those are decided between Expert Criminal and myself, after consulting with the rest of the editors in the public chat.

I may do progress reports on the changes, once milestones have been reached, but I doubt I'll post them outside of the server, as some people here and elsewhere have been a bit... too antagonizing to my taste. If I'm to defend our editing choices on the bloodied sands of the Colosseum of free speech, I'd rather do it when our decisions have been fully refined.

Once all chapters are done, however, we'll publicly release a complete list of script changes.

2 hours ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Am I better of with Lil Manster or Project Exile? Curious for which is most accurately translated, least glitchy, user friendly as over all the definitive patch

Lil' Manster is Project Exile, but with less translation mistakes, less glitches (be they vanilla or from PE itself), more quality-of-life (and cleaner fonts, translated the unused content, etc).

So uh, yeah, sounds like you're looking for Lil' Manster. 😛

Thank you so much Ma'am!

I was curious I told Robert of Normandy I found out a modder found out a way to patch a legally obtained Copy of a super Famicom game, dump it, Translate it AND PUT it back on the board with installing and soldering it back in with programming tools 

I was considering doing this version once the final update is done.

I'm not good at soldering and he offers to do it for me for 30 bucks.

I'd rather do this than emulators everdrives and repros.

I'd rather play on the original cart 😊

Sorry Miacis, I just thought I'd ask your help. I appreciate the work from all members of Exile and Manster who did this.

And I hope you guys didn't mind me explaining how I was going to play on a real SNES cartridge with help from that modder.

If I have any other questions I will ask! I'm just wondering if it will ever be possible to play Binding Blade in a similar way.

You guys are super nice around here. 😊

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, amberlink said:

There any way to make this work on an everdrive? It doesn't seem to be working at all for me, wondering if there's something I could do

I have an FXPak Pro & I can confirm that Lil Manster does work on real hardware.

Is the ROM file broken? Are you using the correct ROM? Is the Everdrive powerful enough to run Lil Manster? There's honestly a wide variety of reasons why it may not be working on your end.

Hello everyone! What was initially supposed to be a "mini-update" fixing the menu lag, adding a few localizations and minor bugfixes... has turned into something much, much bigger.

And so, on the second anniversary of Lil' Manster's release, may I present to you...

dyDy26U.png

Version 1.08 is here, and boy, does it have its share of new content. Let's run through these, shall we?

- Official localizations from the recent FE Heroes updates: Lifis, Safy, Perne, Díthorba, Nál, Hoðr, Tófa, and so on.

- All the menu lag is gone. All of it.

- There are now two new options in the actual, ingame Options, called Hidden Data and Deployment. Some existing options now also have additional settings.

Thanks to these new settings, you can now enable or disable previously built-in QoL features (Scroll Growths, FCM/Ddg/AS display, CRT Display in battle, Equipment Preview, Talk Indicator, Guard AI Display). And some QoL that used to be packaged as optional patches are now built into the game and can also be turned on and off at will (HP Bars, WEXP Display, Hidden Skills, Deployment rearrange). Speaking of QoL, there's new ones too!

- You can now display units on the map during preps without being able to reorder them. Just select setting 1 for Deployment, and you'll get the user-friendliness of the Rearrange patch without breaking the game's delicate balance.

- You can now press Select on a playable unit's inventory to display their growth rates, complete with scroll bonuses too! If you selected setting 1 or more for Hidden Data.

- How about pressing L on the chapter map to display the global enemy range? Man, it's so modern!

- Finally, a few existing QoL improvements have received improvements. The “Sticky” +1s on level-ups are cleaner. Zane's Talk Display now displays properly for all Talks. And his HP Bars show health with a much higher precision!

- We've got the usual slew of tweaks to dialogue and menu text, including a bigger skill description text box.

- A number of small vanilla FE5 mistakes and omissions were corrected, most notably to animation data. See details in the Changelog.

- Unused spells were given sound effects. The FE4 ones are gone but, with some creativity, new ones were made from existing sounds and instruments.

- A bunch of unused text, mostly battle/death/release quotes for unused characters, was translated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a more thorough breakdown of the newer options, and what they do. Underlined options are the default setting when starting a New Game.

Terrain data becomes Map Data:

Detailed (Terrain On + Activates HP bars)

Simple (Terrain On)

Off (Neither)

Units Window:

Detailed (Activates Equipped Item Preview)

Simple (Former On)

Off

Hidden Data (NEW!):

0 (Nothing)

1 (FCM/Ddg/AS Display + Growths Display + WEXP Display + CRT display in battle + Scroll Growths Display)

2 (Talk indicator + Guard AI Display + Everything from option 1)

3 (Hidden Skills + Everything from option 2)

Deployment (NEW!):

0 (Nothing)

1 (Display units on the map during preps)

2 (Rearrange units during preps)

[Note: The Deployment setting will not update until you visit the Deploy screen.]

Finally, I'd like to give an update regarding the state of the project, as a lot of things have changed in the past few months. The plan to stop updating Lil' Manster on version 1.08 has, obviously, been canned, seeing as the our script review is nowhere near complete. Moreover, there are a number of fixes and features we've yet to implement, and so little time to implement them AND work on the script review at the same time. Oh, and there's Lil' Fiana, too! So here's the plan:

1.08 was our Big Update. We know that a lot of people were waiting for Lil' Fiana to be able to play without some of the quality-of-life additions, and we hope that coding toggles for them will be satisfactory for now. The ones that don't have toggles can be avoided by just... not using them (Global Enemy Range, etc) or are minimal enough that they hopefully won't be a bother (Red Fatigue, Closed house terrain, etc).

For 1.09's development, we will leave non-critical fixes and features aside, and focus entirely on the script. 1.09 will be the Complete Version, with a script and UI that we'll hopefully all be fully satisfied with. Also a translated Instruction Manual. We're working on that, too!
Lil' Fiana will release alongside Lil' Manster 1.09.

Finally, 1.10 will be the Bonus Extra Plus version, and will see the implementation of any leftover fixes and features, such as
- looping the Epilogue song properly
- recreating the ingame Guide
- integrating the 0% growths, 200% WEXP and Sound Room Unlock modes as toggles
- fixing the animations of unused classes, for randomization and modding purposes
- and many more ambitious endeavors that I'm sure I'll regret mentioning here when it comes time to actually implement them
We want to make sure 1.10 can be easily used for randomizing and modding purposes.

That should be it for today. The download link can be found in the opening post, as per usual, though I'll include a mirror attached to this post as well.

I haven't updated the Image Gallery yet though. I'll work on it sometime this week.

Happy Holidays, everybody. :Santhos:

Lil-Manster-1.08.zip

So this is freaking amazing! Great job as always! I have a question though. I saw Zane just put out an ASM that makes the battle forecast display like it does in the GBA FE games and I was wondering if you’ll implement that into this at all? If not that’s cool I was just wondering. Again, thank you for your hard work on this as it’s given me a plethora of excuses to finally play this gem of an FE game. 

12 hours ago, animefreak12 said:

So this is freaking amazing! Great job as always! I have a question though. I saw Zane just put out an ASM that makes the battle forecast display like it does in the GBA FE games and I was wondering if you’ll implement that into this at all? If not that’s cool I was just wondering. Again, thank you for your hard work on this as it’s given me a plethora of excuses to finally play this gem of an FE game. 

Thank you for the kind words! I saw Zane's battle forecast, yes, and it looks pretty awesome. I'm not sure if we'll implement it it in Lil' Manster, though. The Atk-Def calculation is kinda important to knowing how much damage a critical hit will do, seeing as the formula is 2x Atk, not 3x Dmg.

Maybe we can put it as an Option settings? We'll discuss it and see, although it's likely that it won't be there until version 1.100, if we do include it.